Cute kitty tag vs. real commanders

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dreamy Lu.3865

Dreamy Lu.3865

Hello

The new kitty tag is cute. So far so good. I like it. However, in PvE, it seems that many players have bought it to use it as “decoration” only, not doing the commander job. It is very much OK, no worries at that, only it is a bit annoying, like when map travelling to join a tag – meaning costs – and once at tag, discovering it is just a guy farming. And when there are several in the same map, to start asking each of them if they are a “real” commander or not…. Well…

I already saw several map chats about the topic, getting a bit hot. I am not sure how far it could become a problem? What could be a solution to prevent this? The tag is cute, and all players may have it, but it should not interfere with the commander fonction?

And please don’t shoot at me, there is no offense meant against players who use it for decoration. I just raise a point that is already now a bit disturbing and could need a solution.

Now if it is just a “mode” effect and calm down after a while, then question can be cancelled.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

It’s a novelty, it’ll soon get old and people will mostly stop abusing it. Same thing happened with mentor tags.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Much like when new colours and mentoring was introduced, after the novelty wears off, most players will use it as intended and the few who use it as decoration won’t be interfering with others

It’ll sort itself out

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

The kitty tag isn’t some weird apple thing or a differently colored dorito. The kitty tag is a cat. People love cats… to a stupid degree sometimes. Stupid enough to put on their kitty tag while having their pet cat out and spamming “neko neko” in /map. Who knows?! I certainly hope the novelty will wear off at some point, but you can’t compare cats to fruit or wavelengths of light.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Same thing happened when Apple tag was added. At first everyone was running around with it, now it is used to simply mark events and bosses on the map.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I just saw one on someone yesterday. Is it a gem store thing or was it added to the commander menu?

If the latter ….. no, just no. That menu should not be for bling.

edit: I looked it up, these things are being used for actual commander tags? I saw it near the home instance in DR so hoped it was just some bling someone was using. Maybe they should set them so they do not appear as icons on the map/minimap as that just invites abuse.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I just saw one on someone yesterday. Is it a gem store thing or was it added to the commander menu?

If the latter ….. no, just no. That menu should not be for bling.

You have to get it in WvW maps.

And I don’t have a problem with it. ~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I used it for TD Mastery events to distinguish from the HP farm and the Chak Garent Commanders.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The same thing happened when they first made different coloured commander tags. And then again when the mentor tag was added. It’s just because it’s new. (And in between it happens on a smaller scale when individuals first get the tag and want to try it out because it’s new to them.)

If your concern is travelling to a tag and then finding out it’s not an event the solution is simple – ask before you go there what they’re doing.

I wish people would do this regardless of what kind/colour of tag it is because it’d save problems with people showing up expecting a public event when actually we’re trying to do guild bounties. (Contrary to popular belief not all EU guilds do them on Sunday evening.)

Edit: Not that extra people at a guild bounty is a problem for the guild. But the commander being yelled at because someone assumed it was something special and came rushing over and is now annoyed that for them it’s just a normal dynamic event (since you can’t get the extra rewards without being in the guild) isn’t great for morale or persuading people to lead guild events.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dreamy Lu.3865

Dreamy Lu.3865

Makes sense Yumiko.

I have verified and it is called a “commander tag”. I have not know that. I was not sure as what it is sold. Then, it is clear that it is meant for commanders or players who want to do commanders.

The tag is probably just too cute! LOL

Let’s hope that it will calm down, like many have said above. Only if it should not and maps would start being overwhelmed with tags having no meaning, first then it would need a solution. Time will tell.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I would like to see a map like in second life (and what we see for party members/guildies here). Everyone is represented by a pixel. Commanders would have a different color or maybe the same design as now. People would just flock to wherever they saw a lot of people and vanity tags would go off on their own.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

When new colors popped up for commander tags, there were herds of them on the maps. I was surprised to see so many commanders, while it’s really hard to find someone who tags up in DS. My impression is that only 10% of those who own a commander tag use it for commanding.

If the Catmander tag doesn’t go away after a few days, people will find a solution without Anet’s intervention. We could agree that real commanders only use the old tags. Or at least use the old tags to gather a squad, then switch to Catmander.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia