DE etiquette

DE etiquette

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I was doing a DE today. 5 people struggled to do the event. Miraculously, There were 30+ people there to finish off the final boss and get the chest. Really?That is just bad etiquette.

I undertsand that the way the world is designed that you are sometimes going to find an event near the end. It’s happened to me plenty of times. However, I have to get suspicious when the numbers regularly jump like that. The game is already not fun to play with empty maps.

DE etiquette

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

Can I ask what event you were doing?

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

Can I ask what event you were doing?

The Ulgoth chain in Hairathi Hinterlands.

DE etiquette

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

At the “big chest” meta-events I often see discussion like “let’s go to wurm next” or “Teq’s up, kill FE fast!” So it’s not surprising if a number of people suddenly show up, they might have all come from another event that just finished.

DE etiquette

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

The event scales, so the 30 players that showed up for the boss didn’t negatively impact the previous events of the chain. If anything they helped you with the final boss. And, trust me, if it’s the Ulgoth chain and you struggled with the prior events, you needed that help badly. Nobody forced you to do the other events, and nobody made them worse for you either.

DE etiquette

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

It doesnt matter which event, its same for most world events that have pre-events. Today i was doing temple of Lyssa pre-event with 2 other guys, when we removed barrier around pristess there was suddenly whole zerg killing her…

People want to come and smash pinata as fast as possible, claim chest and move on to next pinata. Why do you think Karka queen hassnt been killed for more than 300 hours?

DE etiquette

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

This might be down to event timers – i.e. that mob of 30+ had just finished another event and rushed to Hirathi to wrap up the Ulgoth chain. I would (possibly just being optimistic) assume that the 30+ didn’t sit around until it was time for the final stage. Might be wrong though.

@ OP, I too have seen this. Struggling through a whole chain just to faceroll the final part…

In the time it took me to write this, I see a couple of others have voiced the same opinion – unintentional reptition from me.

DE etiquette

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

In my experience what happens is that in most big boss DE’s there’s usually a pause between the last pre-event and when the boss shows up (except on some of the level 15 bosses that die too fast), like in shatterer when the siege scraps event is done and the NPCs are on their way, when you finish fighting the centaurs for the champion centaur boss or even the 5 minutes wait on the fire elemental. Most people use that time to start doing callouts in guild chat and/or map chat that they couldn’t do before while doing the pre events, which is where that influx of people come from.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

The event scales, so the 30 players that showed up for the boss didn’t negatively impact the previous events of the chain. If anything they helped you with the final boss. And, trust me, if it’s the Ulgoth chain and you struggled with the prior events, you needed that help badly. Nobody forced you to do the other events, and nobody made them worse for you either.

I am sure that they helped a lot. 5 people against Ulgoth likely would have been a fail. That really isn’t the issue though. It would have been much more fun to have the people playing along for the event chain. It needed not be a struggle. There were clearly people available.

Plus, I was asked what event i was doing this time. I’ve seen it plenty of times on others. You argue that no one forced me to do the event. True enough. I do events because I like doing events. they are much more fun with more people.

DE etiquette

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

It’s possible that people are monitoring the state of certain event types through the API, and intentionally show up at the end to collect the loot.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

At the “big chest” meta-events I often see discussion like “let’s go to wurm next” or “Teq’s up, kill FE fast!” So it’s not surprising if a number of people suddenly show up, they might have all come from another event that just finished.

Sure, and I’ve seen that and joined in too. That’s a good time when that happens. I just don’t buy that the events are timed up like that to miss every time. (so you only catch the end.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

It’s possible that people are monitoring the state of certain event types through the API, and intentionally show up at the end to collect the loot.

This is what’s going on and its pretty messed up.

DE etiquette

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I am sure that they helped a lot. 5 people against Ulgoth likely would have been a fail. That really isn’t the issue though. It would have been much more fun to have the people playing along for the event chain. It needed not be a struggle. There were clearly people available.

Plus, I was asked what event i was doing this time. I’ve seen it plenty of times on others. You argue that no one forced me to do the event. True enough. I do events because I like doing events. they are much more fun with more people.

I so see and agree that there is an issue here.

There are several chains where people stand around waiting for the final boss, but don’t bother helping with the pre-req events to get that boss to spawn. I do agree that something should be done to get more people to help on the pre-reqs, especially if there is only a small group and they are struggling; however, I’m not sure what could be done that wouldn’t potentially harm innocent bystanders.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

DE etiquette

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Beginning of the month and if I am not mistaken it was also part of the daily. That would be why suddenly there were a ton of people that showed up.

Normally this only happens on World events.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

DE etiquette

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Is the WP not contested? Most low level DE’s are over so fast, if there is no WP close enough it’s not even worth it to try.

Edit: @ Lanfear – the only thing from my point of view would be to give an increased reward for finishing a complete chain. Otherwise you might run into that scenario that no one shows up to help either.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

DE etiquette

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Like others said, people jumping from event to event by following what pops up on gw2stuff. Thing is that events there once they start and we all know that some events take only few mins to finish. Ulgoth event, as OP stated, shows in API only when final stage is active, no pre, no first 3 stages.

If I, for example, finish Golem and see Ulgoth pop by the time I get there he is at 10% HP at best. Sometimes I barely make it to get bronze medal.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

DE etiquette

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I so see and agree that there is an issue here.

There are several chains where people stand around waiting for the final boss, but don’t bother helping with the pre-req events to get that boss to spawn. I do agree that something should be done to get more people to help on the pre-reqs, especially if there is only a small group and they are struggling; however, I’m not sure what could be done that wouldn’t potentially harm innocent bystanders.

I guess wonky scaling of some pre-events are also responsible for this.

For example, the shatterer pre-event to recover siege scraps, lots of people are usually asking others NOT to go do it if there are already people doing it, mainly because it takes longer. You have to pick up siege pieces that spawn on the ground and sometimes drop from the ghosts in the area, thing is, the amount of siege pieces needed to complete the event scale up, but the spawning points and drop chance remain the same. More people means you need more pieces to hand in, but the same amount are being spawned, which makes it last longer.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

Beginning of the month and if I am not mistaken it was also part of the daily. That would be why suddenly there were a ton of people that showed up.

The fact that this happens almost exclusively on world events =chest events is my point. I’m of the opinion that chests are actually the problem here. (while I love them.) People would be more focused on killing and doing the events if they weren’t so loot/chest driven.

DE etiquette

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Edit: @ Lanfear – the only thing from my point of view would be to give an increased reward for finishing a complete chain. Otherwise you might run into that scenario that no one shows up to help either.

That’s an idea. Have it track which events in the chain you do (and what tier of completion you get), and get maybe a % increase in loot at the final event or something based on how much you participated in the chain as a whole.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Some of the more popular event timers don’t indicate when the Ulgoth event chain is starting, they only do so after he has spawned. So most people don’t come until Ulgoth has spawned, because they have no idea the chain in occurring until then.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

DE etiquette

tolunart.2095

Sure, and I’ve seen that and joined in too. That’s a good time when that happens. I just don’t buy that the events are timed up like that to miss every time. (so you only catch the end.

It doesn’t happen every time, but just doing the dragons and low-level meta-events, I often have a situation where I have to decide between events that are starting/in window and if an event is still happening when my chosen event ends, I go there as quickly as possible and usually get there just as the boss appears.

There are times when I’ve done several events like this, going directly from Elemental to Wurm to Shadow to Maw and miss the pre-events for the last two.

I know there are some who just afk until the timers tell them there’s an easy 25 silver to pick up, but that’s just the way people are. Some will always go for the easiest path they can find. Bribing them to do the pre-events will not help, if the loot is enough to make a lot of people show up that just means more rares and exotics get dumped into the TP and prices go down, so loot becomes less valuable overall.

Once I stood around for 20 min waiting for Shatterer before someone realized that no one was doing the pre-event collection. Since then I try to keep a handful of siege engine parts in one toon’s bags and go to the collection area before the camp where the main event happens. Most of the time there’s 0-2 people doing collections while a dozen or more are waiting for Shatterer to show up, so it helps move things along a little faster.

DE etiquette

tolunart.2095

The fact that this happens almost exclusively on world events =chest events is my point. I’m of the opinion that chests are actually the problem here. (while I love them.) People would be more focused on killing and doing the events if they weren’t so loot/chest driven.

People have been taught by past MMOs to keep going for the shiny. When they have the shiny, then they want the bigger shiny. The games keep throwing bigger and bigger shinies at them, so that’s what they focus on.

There’s no clear way to break them of this habit. The way the TP works in this game, throwing more loot at them just means that more and more loot gets put onto the TP without an increase in demand. Then the prices drop lower and lower until people complain that their shinies are worthless now.

Taking the loot away just means that people complain that they aren’t getting enough shinies and stop doing the events altogether because they don’t think they are worth it just for the enjoyment of doing things as a group.

If Anet wants to keep throwing loot at them, they’ll have to complete the Ascended tier, then come up with something better, then something better than that, because once a player has all Ascended gear, getting more Ascended gear won’t be as satisfying, he’ll want Ascended +1 gear instead.

Kittens if you do, kittens if you don’t.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

DE etiquette

ProxyDamage.9826

Actually those people weren’t necessarily available. They were most likely doing another boss (Golem Mark II seems to be the one that lines up behind Ulgoth more frequently for my server), finished, and ported over to that one.

And yes, would be nice if people played the entire chains, except that there’s no reward for doing so. The only reward on the previous events is Karma (who cares) and Experience (mostly irrelevant if you’re lvl 80).

If the rest of the chain was rewarding people would do them much more often. If, on the other hand, they nerfed the last boss’ drop to make the entire thing equally unrewarding, then we’d be back to 2 or 3 months ago when nobody did those at all.

It’s all about investment and return. The return you get for doing those chains does not in any way compensate the (at least time) investment required to do them.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Maybe they should make the reward from the final boss in these event chains scale based on player participation in the DEs leading up to that event.

DE etiquette

ProxyDamage.9826

Maybe they should make the reward from the final boss in these event chains scale based on player participation in the DEs leading up to that event.

If it resulted in people joining in the end receiving less reward that they do now that would simply put everything back where it was several months ago with nobody bothering to do them at all.

DE etiquette

tolunart.2095

There will be less participation overall, because if you miss the beginning of the chain you’ll get less loot. If you’re doing Event A and pre-events for Event B pops up, instead of going to the boss after Event A ends people will ignore Event B because they weren’t there for the pre-events. And if you call out events when they are already in progress people will just get mad because they missed the pre-event and won’t get as much loot.

How does making people angry because they aren’t getting as much loot as the other guy make the game better or encourage participation?

Bribing people to do the events just makes the events about collecting loot, not doing the events themselves. Anet might as well take out the events altogether and replace them with a randomly spawning Big Red Button that gives you rare item chests when you hit it.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

It doesnt matter which event, its same for most world events that have pre-events. Today i was doing temple of Lyssa pre-event with 2 other guys, when we removed barrier around pristess there was suddenly whole zerg killing her…

People want to come and smash pinata as fast as possible, claim chest and move on to next pinata. Why do you think Karka queen hassnt been killed for more than 300 hours?

I agree with you. Shockingly we seem to be in the minority on the thread. I guess when you do the 30:5 ratio I saw on the last event, it makes sense.

Then these same people will complain when they take the chest rewards away because too many people are exploiting them.

My original point: If you want the chest be considerate and at least attempt to do the event chain.

DE etiquette

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Sometimes I’ve found if you let people know via map chat that you’re starting the event chain, they’ll come and help. Not always, but usually. As people have already said, most timers that people use only indicate when the final boss has spawned, so you don’t know that someone is struggling with the pre-req … next time let us know and we’ll join in!

There’s a monthly for events as well as group events so people will be keen to do the pre-reqs as well, if you want to put a more cynical spin on it.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

It’s like SB in Queensdale. The pre-events would start up, but only 3 or 4 people will actually go do them to trigger the SB’s spawn. Yet there will be 50 people at the spawn point not lifting a finger and just waiting for SB to pop up so they can claim the reward.

What makes it worse is that if you are doing the pre-events, the horde at SB spawn will blow through him so quickly you will be lucky if you get there in time to get a few hits in

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

There will be less participation overall, because if you miss the beginning of the chain you’ll get less loot. If you’re doing Event A and pre-events for Event B pops up, instead of going to the boss after Event A ends people will ignore Event B because they weren’t there for the pre-events. And if you call out events when they are already in progress people will just get mad because they missed the pre-event and won’t get as much loot.

How does making people angry because they aren’t getting as much loot as the other guy make the game better or encourage participation?

Bribing people to do the events just makes the events about collecting loot, not doing the events themselves. Anet might as well take out the events altogether and replace them with a randomly spawning Big Red Button that gives you rare item chests when you hit it.

You and I have had this loot discussion more than a few times. There’s two ways to modify behavior “the carrot and the stick” they actually are both effective. There are times one works better than the other. They use the stick all the time (ex- diminishing rewards)

I think they have more of a uniformity probelem when it comes to distributing the carrots. Then an actual carrot supply problem. This is evidenced by most events being empty and chest events being full (especially the last part of the event)

This poster has a point. More participation should = more rewards. Its human nature to try to get the most bang for your buck. If they can get away withh less work they will.

I love chests. However, they very well may be a large part of the problem. I think they’d be better served by spreading the wealth to all events and to champs and vets too.

(edited by SHM.7628)

DE etiquette

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

Blame the map travel fees. If people could zip from one end of the map to the other without paying the fee, then they could be at most events instantly rather than doing the wvw → lions arch → racial capital → event fandango.

DE etiquette

AntiGw.9367

Blame the map travel fees. If people could zip from one end of the map to the other without paying the fee, then they could be at most events instantly rather than doing the wvw -> lions arch -> racial capital -> event fandango.

That’s 5 loading screens. I don’t think that many people do that to save 1s instead of porting directly.

Blame players’ greed instead.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Basically people are lazy. They prefer to stand near the boss spawn point to collect their easy loot. Yesterday I was doing the event at Falias while the wurm was in pre window. After 2 waves I was like why am I bothering I killed the wurm already let the people waiting do some work. Well the event failed not so long later. I even had to point out in chat that they needed to uncontest it if they wanted the wurm to spawn.

A lot of chest bosses that can go in minus only do so because people are not doing events in the area. Unless people are told that something needs to be done they won’t lift a finger. Good example is behemoth event were they added the 2 blocking events to the list of pre events, monastery and oakheart.

A lot of these events would flow so much better if people started to do more than just waiting for it to spawn. With the only exception being the shatterer as mentioned.

As for the Ulgoth pre events. To be honest it is to long with to little reward. Remove the champs from the events and it would be a lot better.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

As far as world bosses are concerned, you should have to get a gold medal in the pre event to be eligible for the chest.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

To fix this requires a carrot or stick situation, and a lot of folks here are saying “STICK!”. Personally, I would go with carrot.

If it were me, I would split the pre-events into more separate events that give full reward for taking part. This way, those who do all of the pre events get more rewards for doing so, and thus also garnering more participation from players who normally aren’t interested in doing it.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

The fact that this happens almost exclusively on world events =chest events is my point. I’m of the opinion that chests are actually the problem here. (while I love them.) *People would be more focused on killing and doing the events if they weren’t so loot/chest driven. *

Actually, few people would even do them in that case. The only reason most people I know ever bothered to showed up to one of the world events was for the chest. We would WvW until the timers were up, pop over to get the chest, then return to WvW.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

The fact that this happens almost exclusively on world events =chest events is my point. I’m of the opinion that chests are actually the problem here. (while I love them.) *People would be more focused on killing and doing the events if they weren’t so loot/chest driven. *

Actually, few people would even do them in that case. The only reason most people I know ever bothered to showed up to one of the world events was for the chest. We would WvW until the timers were up, pop over to get the chest, then return to WvW.

Then everyone you know is part of the problem. I hope Anet is reading this and implements a fix for it. This is the type of stuff that has killed the PVE content of the game. Popping in and taking the loot without doing much of anything is exploiting the players who are actively involed.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What etiquette? Oh please. It’s a game.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Then everyone you know is part of the problem. I hope Anet is reading this and implements a fix for it. This is the type of stuff that has killed the PVE content of the game. Popping in and taking the loot without doing much of anything is exploiting the players who are actively involed.

Everyone I know is part of the problem? It isn’t the kitten poor design on ANets fault? Really now…

If PvE was worth a crap people would do it for it’s own sake. It isn’t, so people do it for what reward they can get. Deal with it. No reward would mean no people.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

Everyone I know is part of the problem? It isn’t the kitten poor design on ANets fault? Really now…

It’s a bit of both actually……………….BTW, I am all for rewards I just think people should have to work to get them. I think if you just go to the last leg of an event chain and only do sufficent damage to the final boss to get the chest then yeah, you’re part of the problem I mentioned.

You and I disagree on the PVE not being fun, I think it is. If you don’t like it that’s your perogative.

I do agree with you on bad design. Clearly that is something that Anet should address. No chest if you didn’t at least do something in one of the pre-events. I’d prefer it didn’t come to that. However, Much like in real life, a few people doing what they aren’t supposed to do ruins it for everyone else.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

Yeah, ettiquette as opposed to a rule.

It’s better if it remains “etiquette” rather than becoming " a rule" which would be more punitive. Meaning if you happened by an event later = no/less reward. That would suck for eveyone.

You follow?

(edited by SHM.7628)

DE etiquette

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I see this a lot with FE. People just standing around in the final room waiting for others to do the event chain. It’s not hard, but it is obvious laziness, jumping in at the end for the chest only.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

DE etiquette

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

The only solution to this would be to make what you get in the chest NOT random, but based on total participation starting with the first pre-event:

1. There and participated for 100% of ALL events: exotic
2. There and participated for 95%+ of All events: rare
3. There and participated for 60%+ of All events: masterwork
4. There and participated for all of final event: blue
5. There and participated for only last 50% of final event: white.

- That would change the dynamic a LOT.

While brutal in requiring a lot of involvement, this would also allow for a guaranteed exotic for the really dedicated.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Sorry, but I do it for the claw. It is one long, boring, tedious event. I wait until the claw is in the final battle, I just want to skip the whole corrupted wall sequence. It just doesn’t scale down if there are not enough players to get him down to 50% is a reasonable amount of time. It really needs to be reworked. I do all the other events 100% though.
As far as punishing players for joining late—not going to happen (imho), nor would it be in Anets’ and the games’ best interest in the long run.

DE etiquette

Blude.6812

As far as world bosses are concerned, you should have to get a gold medal in the pre event to be eligible for the chest.

No—because even if you are tagging a and fighting through the whole chain in an event, you may not get gold because they are simply too many players killing. The Maw and Wurm events come to mind-you will never get a gold for all the events in the chain unless there are fewer people playing the event.

DE etiquette

AntiGw.9367

The only solution to this would be to make what you get in the chest NOT random, but based on total participation starting with the first pre-event:

While brutal in requiring a lot of involvement, this would also allow for a guaranteed exotic for the really dedicated.

You don’t deserve a guaranteed exotic for simply doing a boss chain. And innocent people should not be excluded from their chance to get loot because they got late to the party.

The only way to solve this “issue” is to disable the event API. Does anyone want that to happen? Then you’ll only have some dragon timer websites to worry about.

See, any solution creates worse problems.

DE etiquette

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

It’s better if it remains “etiquette” rather than becoming " a rule" which would be more punitive. Meaning if you happened by an event later = no/less reward. That would suck for eveyone.

You follow?

If I can leech, I’ll do it.
Why?
Yeah, no thanks, do a crappy event for 25 minutes to get 2-3 blue items from end chest. No thanks.

DE etiquette

Blude.6812

You follow?

If I can leech, I’ll do it.
Why?
Yeah, no thanks, do a crappy event for 25 minutes to get 2-3 blue items from end chest. No thanks.

Bingo!!!!! If the drops were super items maybe some changes would be justified—-but not the way drops are now—generally they are mostly junk with the odd bone thrown in—-Classic example of Pavlovian Theory working at it’s finest.

DE etiquette

SHM.7628

You don’t deserve a guaranteed exotic for simply doing a boss chain. And innocent people should not be excluded from their chance to get loot because they got late to the party.

The only way to solve this “issue” is to disable the event API. Does anyone want that to happen? Then you’ll only have some dragon timer websites to worry about.

See, any solution creates worse problems.

Sure, diable the API. I don’t care. It would probably tick off the chest hoppers I described. I like to play when I am in an area. When events come up do them.

DE etiquette

tolunart.2095

Sure, diable the API. I don’t care. It would probably tick off the chest hoppers I described. I like to play when I am in an area. When events come up do them.

Before the API people updated the timers themselves by clicking on the “event just ended” button and so on. Without the API they’ll just go back to doing that. It can be less accurate because trolls can set it to the wrong time (“just ended” before the window even opens, etc.) but nothing will really change.