DPS Meters promote toxicity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AIZECK.8279

AIZECK.8279

Anet you have allow the players to have dps meters, an see the other teammates what dps are making. Today i have been kicked in the end of the fractal from the people that use the meter an flame insulting me an more cause i didn’t play meta war in the party i create at the lobby i ask what i want an wen the fight was hard an they suck an fail i was to blame. I play what ever i want wen all builds are working cause is my right, they even tell me to die an pres /gg so they can see what dps they will make in the last battle of the fractal boss an wen i say to them i don’t want to they kick me this is good Arena net y the hell you promote this things wen you know are sick minded people in the game. Remove the dps meter from the pve contend right now an place them in pvp or raids. Feel free to share your stories here an tell me what you think, i don’t want to see more examples like the one i have been.

AIZECK.8279

Anet also i want you to explain to me how the hell another player knows in what Gear i am play cause wen i was in fractals some one told me in what gear i was he didn’t like it an he left explain anet how the hell he knew.

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Nope it actually gives basis and validity not toxicity. And if a player knows what gear you have report that player they are breaking tos and what they are using isn’t a dps meter as per Anet. Read Anets acceptable guidelines for a dps meter it is enlightening

AIZECK.8279

One knew in what gear i was how is this possible for him to know he told me an then left they can see what i wear kittene ???

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

One knew in what gear i was how is this possible for him to know he told me an then left they can see what i wear kittene ???

It doesn’t really matter how it was possible. That they did it (if they did it) meant they were breaking the rules and can be reported.

AIZECK.8279

Skittish.4539 Man i don’t use the meter i don’t want it i don’t flame people for their personal choices of builds or strategy, i don’t know what they use but they flame an they dictate what they want i enjoy play fractals as sentinel war an tank or kite thinks to give them time to position an dps but i never trash people for this, this must stop before gets worst.

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539 Man i don’t use the meter i don’t want it i don’t flame people for their personal choices of builds or strategy, i don’t know what they use but they flame an they dictate what they want i enjoy play fractals as sentinel war an tank or kite thinks to give them time to position an dps but i never trash people for this, this must stop before gets worst.

Like it or not, those people who make the party can also make the rules, as long as their rules are within Anet’s rules. Most fractal groups have no use for a tank or a kiter, and if they don’t want it, they’re allowed to look for someone with a build that makes more sense in fractals. And you’re allowed to start your own groups and ask for whatever you want.

AIZECK.8279

Skittish.4539 I do fractals every day the build works fine as all builds working but dictating like that what i must play an kick me in the end wen i did my part the hole way makes me sick,wen they fail to understand position dodge attacks an they die i am the problem cause i am still alive an keep dps overtime they cry to me for banners like little kids for their cookies this gives me in the nerves for real, like the banners will save them, i have play so many fractals people that don’t beaching an play their part making the runs so eazy an fast i have sick this meta people.

Posted by: linkgannon.6275

linkgannon.6275

It is sad that you had to go through a crappy experience like that, and for that, you have my empathy. However, I feel that it is important to note that it wasn’t a DPS meter that kicked you from the party; it was a toxic player. Even if Anet did re-ban DPS meters, this issue would not go away. In fact I dare to say it would be even worse because players would subjectively guess your DPS and kick you because of their guess. Back when you had to do 4 fractals in 1 run and memory DPS meters were against the TOS, I had been kicked because the other 4 players who were all guild members decided at the end of the last fractal to kick me because they merely felt I had not done enough DPS. Situations like this are A LOT more toxic and bad for the community. I’m sorry that some elitists kicked you, but it’s really because your party members were crappy. I’m a huge advocate for DPS meters. I’m no elitist, and I only learned about DPS meters maybe a month ago, but what they can accomplish when used for the greater good is pretty amazing in terms of personal growth. A guild recently joined for raiding uses them to generate reports at the end of each raid to show how we did and what we can do to improve. Our Chronomancer can see how often squad members lose alacrity, our druid can review heals across all the squad members, and I personally (a DPS role Condition Ranger) can see how I stack up next to my squad mates and gives me something to aim for in my next raid. All people should have the right to play how they want.

If people want to focus on personal growth, they should have the rights to tools to aid them in that, not stripped away because a couple of idiots misused them. I personally feel that one way ANet could solve this problem is to implement their own group DPS meter into the game that could log reports. As in in game option, you could make your DPS visible to other players. This would allow for the best of both worlds, and other DPS meters would begin to fade away since it would already be an in-game feature. This would cause a reduction in gear meters as well.

Also, if the player knew your gear, report them because they are indeed breaking the TOS. However, I do know that some people can tell based on default skins for some gear. I have a friend very into Fashion Wars that is quite good at that.

(edited by linkgannon.6275)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Toxicity exists in the absence of GW2, never mind DPS meters. The meters just make it easier to see the people who care more about numbers than anything else and consequently make it easier to avoid them.

Report people who abuse the use of 3rd party tools and move on. You aren’t going to convince ANet that a tool is inherently bad; you’ll just tie yourself into knots instead.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

AIZECK.8279

I don’t value people by what number they got as dps people that see high numbers an feeling good they must go see a doctor right now.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t value people by what number they got as dps people that see high numbers an feeling good they must go see a doctor right now.

Sure, which is why it doesn’t pay (for you) to worry about what those folks think or do or say. Let them use their toys and you can can use yours.

That’s easier if you start your own fractal teams, especially if you only need 1-2 PUGs.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I can tell if another player is using bulky versus glass gear when I see what happens to their health bars when they get hit. I’d be guessing to get the exact prefix, but even there you can generally tell whether someone is using a power or condi build by the weapon they’re using, and there’s only so many possibilities for glass or bulky once you’ve determined condi or power.

I still believe that the person who starts a party should be immune to kicking unless they’re inactive for a few minutes or log out. If someone creates an “anything goes” party, they should not be kicked by people who have an agenda. I believe this because I also believe that someone who starts a meta party should be able to get the kind of experience they want.

I disagree thought that the meter is the cause of the kick. For meters to be promoting exclusion there would have to be more exclusion now than there was before meters were allowed. In the days before meters, there were as many or more complaints about kicking, it’s just that the reasons given (if the kickers even gave a reason) were something other than numbers shown by a meter. The cause is really a conflict of desires as far as playing the game goes. The meter is just the current excuse for the kick.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I can tell if another player is using bulky versus glass gear when I see what happens to their health bars when they get hit.

I’m pretty sure that’s quite often the case for players who have knowledge of the class in question. You can also quite easily see how fast someone can wipe out a couple of veteran mobs, and you also see who spends more time swinging. That wasn’t so obvious for me when I started because I didn’t think that a few percent more of this or that makes such a difference. I spend the first 2 months playing in a mix of rare armor with completely different runes and stats. I didn’t get how runes worked ^^

Now, I can tell if someone is using crap as I did or if they actually understand that numbers make a huge difference here. The jump from mixed rare to berserker exotic with proper runes was astonishing. It was like training basketball with a hoop that’s a little bit tighter and then switching to a regular one.

@OP: what gear are you actually wearing? There really is no good reason to not get exotic when your character is level 80. For your own sake, gear up! Very few people notice the damage difference between ascended and exotic I guess, but they do between rare and exotic. You will not regret the small investment.

And yes, I agree that these people were toxic. The dps meters are not the problem. I never used one yet (thought it’s against the rules), but will look for a good one (any suggestions?). I wouldn’t even mind a gear meter, just to know what I can expect before starting a fractal. I wouldn’t kick anyone, but I would like to know beforehand how long this will probably take and who’ll probably suffer. Also, I wished someone would have seen my crap gear and explained to me the impact of switching.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Anet you have allow the players to have dps meters, an see the other teammates what dps are making. Today i have been kicked in the end of the fractal from the people that use the meter an flame insulting me an more cause i didn’t play meta war in the party i create at the lobby i ask what i want an wen the fight was hard an they suck an fail i was to blame.

To be fair, if people are relying on you to play the meta build and you don’t, and they don’t know that, then yes – you are to blame. Meta builds rely on other meta builds for support, PS warrior being one of them. The difference is night and day, and worst of all, when you’ve grown accustomed to running in a meta comp a deviation from it can cause a lot of failing and frustration. Because things just don’t seem to work like they are supposed to.

Aside from that, only one dps meter shows the dps of party members without their explicit agreement, and it only shows an estimate. Buuut… I would guess dps is just a pretense, or rather a justification for players who felt annoyed by your build.

Please don’t take this personally. I’m all for ‘play your way’, but I can understand the other side too. Consider the possibility the players you’re playing with find the content you’re playing hard because of you. They should at least know beforehand. This way if they stick with the party it’s their own choice and they have nothing to complain about. Or, they are free to leave and find another one.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I honestly don’t think the community got any more toxic than it already was before.
Remember core dungeons “zerker stats only”?
Remember fractals and their oneshot team-builds?

DPS meters only allow for better self-improvement, and yes, there’s always a rotten apple in the basket, but if you’re gonna disable any content that has a rotten apple, you might as well just not play MMO’s