DPS meter addon

DPS meter addon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Q:

Are addons like arcdps ok to use without getting banned? I just want to see my dps and compare different builds to see which one is best.

DPS meter addon

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A:

Yes, as long as it doesn’t show gear or health of other players, and only shows DPS for others using DPS meters or other members of your party/squad.

The two most popular include your own favorite, arcdps.

edit: added that meters are permitted to read DPS from party/squad members, per Chris Clearly, linked below.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

DPS meter addon

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

There’s a good collection of dev-responses on the BGDM website.
http://gw2bgdm.blogspot.de/p/tos.html

Tldr: There are features that are allowed and there are features that are forbidden. Personal dps and even group dps in pve is allowed.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

DPS meter addon

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Yes, as long as it doesn’t show gear or health of other players, and only shows DPS for others using DPS meters.

this is a fact as the only other dps meter I believe was called bgm or something that has been dropped from the game fully when the new path of fire comes out . and will not be use able any more!!

but their is the ingame dps meter as well that does very good at its job . and really no need at all to check others dps at all in this game . besides all it does is just make more unneeded problems as a whole in general

no new system upgrades coming

DPS meter addon

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yes, as long as it doesn’t show gear or health of other players, and only shows DPS for others using DPS meters.

this is a fact as the only other dps meter I believe was called bgm or something that has been dropped from the game fully when the new path of fire comes out . and will not be use able any more!!

but their is the ingame dps meter as well that does very good at its job . and really no need at all to check others dps at all in this game . besides all it does is just make more unneeded problems as a whole in general

It’s not clear what will happen with bgdm in September. Its developer said they no longer wish to work on it (new RL priorities etc). They might find someone else to take over.

Also, there are other DPS meters. arc and bg are just the most popular (and probably the most feature-rich, too).

DPS meter addon

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

as long as it […] only shows DPS for others using DPS meters.

Unless I missed something, I think this part is wrong. Party/squad members are fine no matter whether they use a meter or not, afaik.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

DPS meter addon

Illconceived Was Na.9781

as long as it […] only shows DPS for others using DPS meters.

Unless I missed something, I think this part is wrong. Party/squad members are fine no matter whether they use a meter or not, afaik.

They specifically said otherwise. The system is “opt in” and you can’t “opt in” by accident. If you use a DPS meter, then you’re saying you’re fair game for sharing your DPS data.

Simply joining a squad/party isn’t enough, since that’s required to raid/fractal (and a practical requirement of many open world metas, although of course not technically required). Otherwise, the system would be “opt out,” i.e. the obligation would be on the part of those not wanting their DPS to be read to find out if someone else is doing that.

That said, the existing DPS meters can, under ANet’s rules, do a good job of guesstimating the DPS & buffs of non-users. So for all practical purposes, it’s moot.

I stand corrected; CptAurellian is correct. I apologize for remembering what was said in the past instead of ANet’s more recent policy update. (Thanks delta-c for linking the quote.)

Regardless, in their current “official” state, BGdm and ArcDPS are considered ok-to-use.

DPS meter addon

Posted by: deltaconnected.4058

deltaconnected.4058

They specifically said otherwise. The system is “opt in” and you can’t “opt in” by accident. If you use a DPS meter, then you’re saying you’re fair game for sharing your DPS data.

Simply joining a squad/party isn’t enough, since that’s required to raid/fractal (and a practical requirement of many open world metas, although of course not technically required). Otherwise, the system would be “opt out,” i.e. the obligation would be on the part of those not wanting their DPS to be read to find out if someone else is doing that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/66m13h/anet_this_really_should_be_part_of_the_game/dgjwapj/

DPS meter addon

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The link points to Chris Cleary saying the following on Reddit:

Good questions here, but nothing I haven’t already answered. I’ll go ahead and rebump previous info given out here.

ArenaNet authorizes the use and development of 3rd Party tools under the banner of a “DPS Meter”. “DPS Meters” is defined as the collection and processing of combat related data in order to develop a statistical and visual representation of that data. This combat data maybe [sic] collected from anyone inside of your immediate social group. Social groups are defined as including the player character, and current party and/or squad.

Combat data does not include current entity status, including current Buffs/Debuffs/Health/Stats/Location or any other data that is not generated due to the usage of skills or impact on player characters due to skill usage (by the PC/s or an outside source).

The collection and processing of data in the client must be limited to the scope of the “DPS meter” and should not exceed it. Visualization of this data must also limited to the scope of the “DPS Meter” which includes visualizations, logging, and processing/visualization of logging.

I highlighted the relevant part of the statement (since most of it doesn’t apply). I stand corrected: CptAurellian was correct. (I’ll also edit my previous posts.)

DPS meter addon

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

There’s a good collection of dev-responses on the BGDM website.
http://gw2bgdm.blogspot.de/p/tos.html

Tldr: There are features that are allowed and there are features that are forbidden. Personal dps and even group dps in pve is allowed.

1. He’s looking for a replacement to take over since he’s not playing

2. The meter has been broken since the last big update – very broken.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

DPS meter addon

Posted by: Rong.5470

Rong.5470

Well what about mac client addons? If there will be one for windows, I want one for mac as well.