DR broken again?

DR broken again?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

I’m not a farmer. I have not even MF gear. But barely entered the game, reached the DR. I think that by the time I took pictures, had not played 2 hours straight.
It was the first time in the day I completed this event.

Attachments:

(edited by Lukhas.1962)

DR broken again?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

How is this supposed to show DR?

DR broken again?

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

You got gold for the first event and silver for the second one. That’s why your reward is smaller.

DR broken again?

Vayne.8563

I’m not sure anyone ever suggested that DR is tied to dynamic event rewards. I don’t think anyone believes that getting a silver instead of a gold in an event is DR. That’s not what DR is…at least to my knowledge.

DR doesn’t have to do with dynamic event rewards…it has to do with drops, or in the case of dungeons, dungeon tokens.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

DR broken again?

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

DR does not affect event participation… It affects loot drops (sort of like magic find, but in reverse, and affect quantity as well as quality), after you’ve been roaming the exact same area for long…

Here. Take one. Free of charge…

DR broken again?

Vayne.8563

Sorry guy, but I don’t think this is DR. At least, I’ve never heard anyone suggest DR works this way before.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There is DR on event participation. It reduces the rewards you receive (karma, exp, money). DR on events usually kicks in when you quickly do many events within the same area over a period of time. How it works exactly, you’ll never know.

It’s even noted on the wiki, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

DR broken again?

Vayne.8563

Wow, that’s really interesting. I guess they must have disabled the DR on Southsun during the last event, because I spent the entire day there doing the same events with guildies on one character and never hit DR at all.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Event DR is for the most part, rare. From what I’ve heard, it can encountered quickly by basically tagging events and running, completing multiple events within a few minutes. I’ve also heard of people getting DR after circling the same few events over several hours.

DR probably factors in areas on the map, so by running around southsun, you’d be increasing your DR counter in different places, making it hard to encounter.

DR broken again?

Vayne.8563

Nah, people ran back and forth between two events for days and didn’t get that effect. Though I like the idea of punishing people for tagging mobs and leaving. lol

DR broken again?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Just another reason for them to completely revamp the entire loot system.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It will kick in like that if your character hasn’t left the area to do events somewhere else. So if you are there in an area for some time, log out, log back in at some later time and stay in that area it counts as one session. To break DE you have to leave the area and do events (number of events unknown) elsewhere for a while. Then you can go back.

I think I read that the cutoff for DE to kick in is 3 hours. I usually tried to do 3 or 4 events elsewhere to break it but it may only take one.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

DR broken again?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

DR doesn’t have to do with dynamic event rewards…it has to do with drops, or in the case of dungeons, dungeon tokens.

Wrong. DR is tied to DE’s.

For example, currently Sottz the Scalliwag is bugged, so when you do a guild bounty, he’ll always spawn at the same spot… But what happens is, he’ll respawn after you kill him.

Whenever we get Sottz, we try to see how far we can go with DR by killing him over and over and over…

In the end, you’ll end up with like 100xp, 5 copper and 7 karma or something like that.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

DR broken again?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This is DR. I remember getting less karma during the Plinx karma farm train back in the day. What I don’t know is, if this DR is related to loot DR.

@OP
How many events have you done before doing this event? From what I remember, doing quite a number of events in such a short time can trigger this DE DR. However, during the time I was karma farming Plinx, loot was so hard to come by due to the sheer number of people so I really can’t say for sure if there is a relationship between loot DR and DE DR.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

DR broken again?

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

DR is VERY hard to get activated on events.

They have designed it so that people who are doing entire events should never get event DR.

You -rarely- can get it by playing legitimately if you are running through an area and get participation for multiple events as you run through, but it drops pretty fast.

DR broken again?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree DR does not affect the level of the event completion.

There is a fundamental design flaw in how they handle their event completion.

It’s been my experience that their events are handled with a behind the scenes dps meter. The more DPS you do the higher your event completion will be. People with burst DPS in classes that are favored for burst DPS will always get gold compared to those classes that do not do as well in this department, Just as those specced into any other build will have worse time getting credit for these events. It was discovered when the game first launched and talked about at length before any of the other problems came forth.

So, until they revamp how they reward participation, this will still be a problem for most. Using this model those that help one another by rezzing them during battle, who trait for that to be easier, those who heal and remove conditions, those who CC and apply conditions will not receive what the burst DPSers receive for credit.

Some of us have suspected for some time (but haven’t tested) that this extends to the party loot algorithm.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

DR broken again?

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

It’s been my experience that their events are handled with a behind the scenes dps meter. The more DPS you do the higher your event completion will be. People with burst DPS in classes that are favored for burst DPS will always get gold compared to those classes that do not do as well in this department, Just as those specced into any other build will have worse time getting credit for these events. It was discovered when the game first launched and talked about at length before any of the other problems came forth.

So, until they revamp how they reward participation, this will still be a problem for most. Using this model those that help one another by rezzing them during battle, who trait for that to be easier, those who heal and remove conditions, those who CC and apply conditions will not receive what the burst DPSers receive for credit.

Some of us have suspected for some time (but haven’t tested) that this extends to the party loot algorithm.

Er, actually, I think loot is random. I’m not sure, but I know they have mentioned the idea of tagging. If you do enough damage, you ‘tag’ a monster and are put in for a loot calculation. Then the calculations run normally.

If you are in a group, the ‘tag’ is collected among your group. So even if you only do 1 damage, if your group manages to beat the ‘tag’ amount (which is really small from what I’ve seen), you all are put in the running for loot. And even full support characters should at least be swiping at something.

I don’t think DPS correlates with the rarity of loot you get though if that’s what you’re saying.

Unless you have data to show different, which I’d be really interested to see.

DR broken again?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Er, actually, I think loot is random. I’m not sure, but I know they have mentioned the idea of tagging. If you do enough damage, you ‘tag’ a monster and are put in for a loot calculation. Then the calculations run normally.

If you are in a group, the ‘tag’ is collected among your group. So even if you only do 1 damage, if your group manages to beat the ‘tag’ amount (which is really small from what I’ve seen), you all are put in the running for loot. And even full support characters should at least be swiping at something.

I don’t think DPS correlates with the rarity of loot you get though if that’s what you’re saying.

Unless you have data to show different, which I’d be really interested to see.

No this is generally just a suspicion. I’ve been in groups where only one guy was the burst DPS warrior PVE build and got the same exact amounts of loot in every guild function before they had guild events when the game began and this was the start of learning about the lopsided loot issues where 1 person got everything while doing the same events weekly with the same people while the same people who usually got nothing continued getting nothing in that party while doing the same events so, there is something wrong, I’m just not sure what it is. I do know there’s something wrong and I have suspicions about the loot algorithm, how the events handle their copper silver gold levels, and how DR plays into all of this. ( For example, I know for a fact that the temporary mobs contribute to DR because I get DR immediately upon reaching an event location killing the whole way in Orr where everything is a Risen type mob that happens like clockwork.)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

DR broken again?

Posted by: Grassrab.9302

Grassrab.9302

DR does affect events but I have only seen it if you do the same event over and over again without doing other events in between. When this happen you will still get the same participation level but you will get less coin and karma.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

DR is part of the game and although I agree with the rational behind DR I would love to know just SOME of the base mechanics behind it. For example:

Is DR per account or per character? That is if I am in one area with my Guardian and he reaches DR would my Warrior in the same area also be affected?

Does DR require you take the Guardian in the above example to a different area/map for a period of time to remove DR or could I just do something else on my Warrior for that period of time and then go back to what the Guardian was doing before DR was reached?

Those two questions puzzle me as in my case, and to my perception, DR is gained for the account but removed for the specific character.

Theftwind (HoD)

DR broken again?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

DR is part of the game and although I agree with the rational behind DR I would love to know just SOME of the base mechanics behind it. For example:

Is DR per account or per character? That is if I am in one area with my Guardian and he reaches DR would my Warrior in the same area also be affected?

Does DR require you take the Guardian in the above example to a different area/map for a period of time to remove DR or could I just do something else on my Warrior for that period of time and then go back to what the Guardian was doing before DR was reached?

Those two questions puzzle me as in my case, and to my perception, DR is gained for the account but removed for the specific character.

Pretty sure DR is per character. I had an alt parked at the Shatterer for several days, just using it to do that one event then changing characters to do other things. After a few days of doing this, it suddenly no longer got either of the 2 chests. I had forgotten about the DR and thought it was a bug or something. Happened again with the next event. I brought in a different character to the following Shatterer event and got both chests. Took the first one away and did some events in a different area. Brought it back and did the Shatterer the next day and got both chests again.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

DR in itself is broken…so, can what is broken be broken? It is the most absurd mechanic in gaming history(IMHO)…punishing a player for playing how they want to play?

Bots? I personally do not buy into that argument…they are easy enough to stop and people for the most part report them when they are spotted.

DR is just a system, along with the other horrible changes/nerfs, that are designed to control and manipulate the economy the way Anet/NCSoft see’s fit…it is not player driven like it is made out to be…just an illusion because they need to manipulate the perception of the average TP trader as well, assuming they are not Anet employees that is.

Perhaps it is a way to keep people from becoming to powerful? Maybe…but the rich seem to just keep getting richer and Anet will not impose any of the conditions they feel the average non-TP trader player deserves. Higher taxes for power traders?

But in short…Yes…I feel its broken lol.

DR broken again?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

The first online game I ever played was a script based game and it had a form of diminishing returns. Once you killed a particular MoB so many times you had to move elsewhere and kill something else in order to refresh. DR was used in that game to allow more people a chance to kill certain MoBs rather then having elite killers dominate the area. In this game the DR is supposedly used to combat bots.

There was/is one major difference however between the two games which made the first instance of DR I have encountered a lot more enjoyable then the current form and that is way back then they explained to us exactly how it worked. The developers of that game let us know when we reached DR and also let us know how long we had before it was erased from our character. In GW2 they are so preoccupied with the Bot issue that they do not understand or do not have the vision to see that they create more frustration and acrimony by not answering questions on DR then they would create/allow bot issues.

Through the many threads on DR and its effect on people they have not come out and answered questions such as those I asked above or even why some people seem to be stuck with permanent DR at times. It seems to me that answering people’s questions would be better then waiting until there are no people to ask those questions.

Theftwind (HoD)