Dailies + Dungeons Causing Inflation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I’ve notice that since they’ve revised dungeon rewards to increase the gold received and added a 2g reward to the dailies that the price of almost everything on the TP has gone through the roof. Legendaries are way up from what they were before as are regular crafting materials.

I’ve also noticed gem prices at a steadily increasing high over the past week, it’s now at 25g + for 100 gems.

Any form of a gold sink coming out anytime soon or can we expect prices to go into the stratosphere?

aka. “The Complainer”

Posted by: TheArtOfMouts.7468

TheArtOfMouts.7468

Ecto price raised up just before I needed 250 of them.
Well .. will have to salvage dropped items :/

btw
People are really running dungeons again ?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

ANet has said they’re keeping a close eye on the economy. If they feel there’s a problem with it, something will get fixed.

One thing is for sure, knee-jerk reactions to economy shifts tend to hurt the economy more than doing nothing.

~EW

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Completely ignores that mats went up at the update because that’s when a new legendary dropped and that gems probably went up because they released another wing set and every stand alone mini that was in the store was just retired for now and they brought back every one of the baby animals…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ve notice that since they’ve revised dungeon rewards to increase the gold received and added a 2g reward to the dailies that the price of almost everything on the TP has gone through the roof. Legendaries are way up from what they were before as are regular crafting materials.

I’ve also noticed gem prices at a steadily increasing high over the past week, it’s now at 25g + for 100 gems.

Any form of a gold sink coming out anytime soon or can we expect prices to go into the stratosphere?

They have added a few things to the gem store as of late, plus all the mini pets, gem prices where always going to go up. Dungeons and the gold from daily achievements are not to blame. With the announcement of no more new legendary the old ones are the only ones, for a lot of them. So there prices where going to go up as the people who where holding on to gold now spend it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

New patch, big patch.
Players return.
Need to adjust gear.
Want stuff fast.
Buy of TP.
Demand increases.
Prices increase.

Just my tuppence.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve been holding off converting gold to gems because of the price but I’ve seen no signs of it dropping again and today there is likely to be a new set of goodies on promo. Maybe the current price is the new “normal”.

Posted by: Kyzonu.7504

Kyzonu.7504

people can farm 20g/hour in the silverwastes… i doubt dungeons and dailies are responsible for inflation…

i bet one of the main reasons is the huge influx of returning players who dumped their gold into the TP to get the new things

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Prices are increasing for other reasons. For example, T6 fine material prices are back up. Just look at the trend for powerful blood and you can figure out why.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

Yeah, once demand goes down, prices will follow. meanwhile I’m making lots of gold by farming wood ^__^ until demand slows down.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP hasn’t provided any evidence of inflation and even if there was, dailies & dungeons wouldn’t be the cause.

• Gold:Gem ratio fluctuates more due to sales in the gem shop and US/Euro Christmas presents than anything going on in-game. It’s an okay measure of community wealth, when comparing year-to-year; it’s a terrible measure for month-to-month.
  • The amount of gold provided to individuals via dailies is trivial relative to the economy as a whole — 60g/month isn’t going to get anyone deciding to buy a coveted precursor, never mind a legendary.
  • The total coin available from dungeons after the patch is similarly slightly more than it was before; it’s not enough to get people buying big ticket items.
  • As others have said, there are lots and lots of other factors that affect ecto|mat|etc prices that also changed in the same patch.

tl;dr no, dailies and dungeons aren’t causing inflation.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The OP hasn’t provided any evidence of inflation and even if there was, dailies & dungeons wouldn’t be the cause.

• Gold:Gem ratio fluctuates more due to sales in the gem shop and US/Euro Christmas presents than anything going on in-game. It’s an okay measure of community wealth, when comparing year-to-year; it’s a terrible measure for month-to-month.
  • The amount of gold provided to individuals via dailies is trivial relative to the economy as a whole — 60g/month isn’t going to get anyone deciding to buy a coveted precursor, never mind a legendary.
  • The total coin available from dungeons after the patch is similarly slightly more than it was before; it’s not enough to get people buying big ticket items.
  • As others have said, there are lots and lots of other factors that affect ecto|mat|etc prices that also changed in the same patch.

tl;dr no, dailies and dungeons aren’t causing inflation.

The OP’s post seems more of a complaint that he can not get the stuff he wants of the gem store because the gold to gem price has gone up and wants to blame something for that.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

DoctorDing.5890

The gem price (understandably) jumped when the chaos gloves landed but I expected it to drop away again. Not sure it reflects gold inflation as much as Anet selling desirable stuff in the shop. Anyhow what’s bad news for [gold → gem] folks is good news for [$$$ → gem → gold] folks.

Ayrilana.1396

The gem/gold exchange operates independently from the TP. Neither will be a good indicator as to how the other is doing.

DoctorDing.5890

The gem/gold exchange operates independently from the TP. Neither will be a good indicator as to how the other is doing.

That’s not true. More gold in player’s pockets means they will buy more gems. More demand, until the price rises to equalise it again. The two are not directly connected but they will reflect each other to some extent.

Ayrilana.1396

That’s not true. More gold in player’s pockets means they will buy more gems. More demand, until the price rises to equalise it again. The two are not directly connected but they will reflect each other to some extent.

Re-read the bolded.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It’s obvious that the new and improved WvW rewards are the main reason for this inflation!!!!!

But for real, stuff is pretty similar in price as pre daily buffs except for the high demand stuff which is what you’d expect in a free market aka gw2 bltc.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

While I can understand being concerned about the Daily gold inflating the economy, it is an effect that takes a long time to work. It isn’t going to cause prices to rise suddenly.

Dungeons are similar, but it would take a large number of people running dungeons nonstop to cause inflation, and I don’t think dungeons are that popular again.

More likely, prices have gone up because of demand. People want wood to make the newest (and possibly last) legendary. Gem prices have gone up because desirable stock has been rotated in.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Re-read the bolded.

Even aside from that, player rewards (via farming or dungeons or whatever) do not drive the gold:gem ratio. The best indicator of whether the rate is high is how long highly-coveted items have been available (major spikes whenever certain things go on sale, bigger spikes when certain features are made available, and big to huge spikes for certain skins). The best predictor of the rate dropping is if something happens external to the game, with the most common being Christmas time (people getting gem cards for gifts, converting those to in-game gold).

While it’s true that the historical trend of the ratio is up, up, and more up (and that’s based on the coin wealth of active players), any weekly or monthly changes cannot be explained by the supply of gold.

tl;dr the gold:gem ratio is not that well connected to how much gold in players’ pockets; it’s mostly determined by what’s new or discounted in the gem shop.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Completely ignores that mats went up at the update because that’s when a new legendary dropped and that gems probably went up because they released another wing set and every stand alone mini that was in the store was just retired for now and they brought back every one of the baby animals…

But, y’know, don’t make sense or anything. :P

Prices were spiking well before the April update. Legendary availability from precursor crafting has been a part of a lot of material prices rising.

I’m less worried about a gold sink (TP will take care of that) and more worried about certain materials growing grossly out of control (ecto, leather… gawd never thought I’d worry about leather..) while other materials hit the basement (mithril).

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DAMONWEX.3254

DAMONWEX.3254

Gem prices are hiking at the moment because Anet has been releasing stuff on the gem-store constantly and i don’t think it has anything to do with daily gold or the improved dungeon rewards. It’s just that people has new stuff to buy on the gem-store and they are converting their gold to buy them. I’ve been following the gem prices closely for about a week because i wanted to buy some stuff but Anet seems to be releasing some new thing just as the gem price goes down to about 90g per 400 gems lol. Anyway i would advice waiting till the sales and new item stops coming and the the prices stabilize a bit.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Dailies give 2g a day.

In a year you will have 730 gold.

That’s not even enough for a single set of ascended equipment. If anything, they’ve been updated to keep up with inflation.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’ve been holding off converting gold to gems because of the price but I’ve seen no signs of it dropping again and today there is likely to be a new set of goodies on promo. Maybe the current price is the new “normal”.

I’ve been doing the same thing, hoping it drops back to more reasonable prices. There’s no way I’m paying 90+g for 400 gems.

Personally, I blame the quaggans for this mess.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve been doing the same thing, hoping it drops back to more reasonable prices. There’s no way I’m paying 90+g for 400 gems.

Personally, I blame the quaggans for this mess.

It’s unlikely to go back down. Look at the graph of gold to gems prices. Steadily upwards over time. It sometimes goes down for a while but then goes back up to even higher numbers. Not unexpected as the game gets older and people have finished gearing up and start accumulating wealth. I just watch the gold to gems prices and buy when it’s low for that period of time as I figure it’s not going to drop down.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Steadily upwards over time. It sometimes goes down for a while but then goes back up to even higher numbers.

So like gas prices then.

~glares at quaggans~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Steadily upwards over time. It sometimes goes down for a while but then goes back up to even higher numbers.

So like gas prices then.

~glares at quaggans~

How else can Quaggan protest ANet’s gemstore and certain items in it?

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.