Dailies and other dismal failures

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Southclaw.2471

Southclaw.2471

I’ve still got about 10 characters that need to be max-leveled. This is what has been happening lately:

Step 1: I log in, and I look at the dailies.

Step 2: Then I remember how player-friendly and outright useful the old dailies were, then I usually log off straight away. Yes, that took a while – because I gave this crappy unwanted stupid useless new system a chance.

Step 2a: I MIGHT play, IF the dailies have magically aligned and two of them are on the same map – because I refuse to play any game that takes longer to load than it does to play. Perhaps YOU can load maps in under 5 mins. I am very happy for you if so, but that doesn’t benefit me, AT ALL.

And this, of course, only works on the low-end maps (Orr Forager? Wow, thanks so much, devs), because I want to level my characters.

OR I can play a max-level character and have access to the high-end maps as well – and my other characters can take even longer to level.

“Why don’t you swap between them, then?” – I hear you say.

Swapping between them? Are you joking? This crap takes too long to load as it IS without inviting even more loading into the mix.

Oh, and do the devs never have to do the ‘Events on specific map’ daily? Is that why it’s still crappy? Because that crap is annoying as all hell: “OH GOOD, THE EVENT TRAIN IS RUINING EVERYTHING FOR ME. YAY.”

Also, would it kill them to code something like an event diagram or chart or whatever into the UI, so that we KNOW what we’re supposed to be doing, instead of turning up just as the event train finishes an event, AGAIN?

I am not afraid to grind. But I do draw the line at other people who aren’t in my team being able to impact my play session to such a negative degree because of crappy game design.

“God, just stop whining and do some PvP and WvW dailies!” – I hear you say now. YOU take a non-lvl 80 into either of those and see how friendly people are. Or do you want me to do the dailies on my max-level toon, and only level up my low-level toons with the books/scrolls?

If I have to play ANOTHER toon to level up the one I want, THAT’S…

I have no words.

(Well, none that I’d use in front of my kids.)

Step 3: Wonder why the devs keep changing stuff for the worse, while I play something else.

Seriously, it is bad enough when your play session is ruled by the devs’ inconceivably unhelpful game design (see: Dailies, also ‘Endgame in general’) – it’s even worse when you’re too afraid to even MAKE A BUILD BECAUSE THE DEVS KEEP ****ING YOUR BUILD OVER.

3 times I’ve spent a lot of (game) money on builds (I USED TO like doing all my characters at once), and 3 times the devs have made that build redundant.

“Oh, you’re having fun with an aspect of the game – we’d better put a stop to that.” – the devs, in what feels like every major update.

THIS USED TO BE FUN.

In the early days of GW2, the Devs were pretty keen on saying that we could ‘play it our way’.

They don’t say that any more, do they?

And seriously, how hard would it be to just write some code to select the dailies that were leveled to the current character? Maybe my L10 Mesmer doesn’t WANT to have to traverse, like, 5 maps to do Orr Forager, or whatever?

I expect this dodgy kind of thinking from WB (way to ruin the Arkham series, jerks) or EA – not from Anet. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Step 4: Realise that GW2’s still better than any game I ever wrote – but so’s Day One: Garry’s Incident, by that definition.

Step 5: Walk away shaking head. But, today, I posted this instead.

I WANT to have fun with this game. WHY must I fight against the game design in order to do so?

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Why do u need to do a daily to have fun in the game? i honestly think dailies are what have hindered mmorpg players for last 10 years. People forgot(or never learned) to just play the game and find your fun, not get a list of chores for the day, every day.

Also if you really want the achievement points, getting 3 dailies(to get the AP) takes less than 15 minutes.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I was a happy PvE player doing my events for the daily when they suddenly shoved everyone and their dog on the same tiny map. Now, some people are still helpful and polite of course, but with all the crowding where the events can’t handle the number of people means that people start being frustrated then angry in map chat. For me it quickly became so unpleasant to read frustrated/angry comments and just to know that people unhappy while doing this that one day I just left. And never went back. Now I only do the easy PvP dailies on a PvP daily farm arena. It’s dull, but fast enough I guess. Get my 10 AP and I’m out. /shrug.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I still hold out hope they’ll address dailies in HoT.

Just give pve two extra choices, extend gathering to be worldwide, and extend events to be region rather than area specific.

Then we can all be happy.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I use to do dailies simply for the laurels. Now I don’t need to. The 10 AP from dailies are more than I got before and dailies are simply suggested play with a little carrot on a stick.

The AP reward is there to push players along the AP reward track, which didn’t exist at launch. I don’t even know what AP was good for back then. Bragging rights?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

Five minutes to load a map?

Have you considered NOT playing on a toaster?

Headdesk

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

“God, just stop whining and do some PvP and WvW dailies!” – I hear you say now. YOU take a non-lvl 80 into either of those and see how friendly people are. Or do you want me to do the dailies on my max-level toon, and only level up my low-level toons with the books/scrolls?

Structured PvP has absolutely nothing to do with level. Just take any char you have into an empty pvp arena with a friend and finish them in, like, 5 minutes. Then go level your other chars like normal.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

easily the worst thread of 2015. too lazy to load into a map. takes 3 minutes to get daily from pvp using a DAILY PVP ROOM FULL OF OTHER LAZY PEOPLE THAT HATE PVP. 5 minutes to do 2/3 wvw dailies. PVE dailes are as simple as cutting a tree. this IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THREAD.

Posted by: ZanchinFissure.7981

ZanchinFissure.7981

This sounds like a really big YOUR problem, and not OUR problem. I know some people can’t get a better machine to play on, but that’s not an issue Anet can fix for you.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Jeevuz people.
So you’re fine with the new dailies, great. A significant portion of the playerbase aren’t. What’s it to you if the dailies are made more appealing to them, without making them less so to you?

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

easily the worst thread of 2015. too lazy to load into a map. takes 3 minutes to get daily from pvp using a DAILY PVP ROOM FULL OF OTHER LAZY PEOPLE THAT HATE PVP. 5 minutes to do 2/3 wvw dailies. PVE dailes are as simple as cutting a tree. this IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THREAD.

That’s kind of the problem. If people are playing game modes they don’t want to play only because it’s an easy daily. Some thing is wrong with the system.

This is coming from one who enjoys all game modes to a certain degree.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

i check the dailies and determine if i can finish them within 15 mins, if not i will go care my own business.

If i don’t have time to play that day, i will just login logout for the login rewards.

Why care about doing dailes when spirit shard is not useful in most of the aspect of the game. I have not spent 1 single spirit shard since it is introduced….

Skip dailies if you want to play your game.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Jeevuz people.
So you’re fine with the new dailies, great. A significant portion of the playerbase aren’t. What’s it to you if the dailies are made more appealing to them, without making them less so to you?

a significant portion? really?
this topic is honestly the first ive heard of any dislike to the new daily system, i personally think its great.

there are easy options in each category but not always enough in a single category to complete the daily. in that way you either go more indepth into the mode of gameplay you prefer OR you pick and choose the easiest ones. the point is you have options.

OP I think your problem is centered much more around your dinosaur age computer/internet connection than the dailys themselves and in this day and age I dont think its fair to expect that demographic to be catered to.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Epic rant OP.

I agree with the core of your argument though.The old dailies were symbiotic with how ever one chose to play. The new system is predominantly fetch quests that detract from what I actually want to do.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

OP- I don’t have any of your problems really. Perhaps it’s a rant, and you’re not looking for an alternate view or advice, but here I go anyway.

Back in the old daily system, there were a couple of characters I made where I levelled them a really considerable chunk by doing dailies specifically on them. I would have a lowbie camped in Wayfarer’s Foothills near that underwater tunnel (that joins the upper part of the map with the grassy area). There’d be plenty to gather, events that spawn nearby, I knew where veterans spawned etc etc. Easy peasy.

Now, I don’t do that so often (because lowbies are stationed at JPs for the rewards). The dailies nowadays are far more varied, which is good as it’s a little more engaging. Sure, I still know the best spots to go, but it’s not the same easy scenery every time. And yeah, that might mean jumping into a higher level area. But you also get writs of experience from dailies which you can pass to lowbie alts if you want to, so you can get exp for them without having to do content on them (or move them away from their stations).

The daily systems (or any changes) will have criticisms, people get accustomed to a system, and if it changes it’s frustrating. I liked the old system because it was comfortable and easy, but I also like the new one as the rewards are far better and entice me to jump into game-modes that I don’t usually spend my time in. The system works very well for keeping players around- for instance, I didn’t do PvP much at all until the new dailies came along. Now I do PvP fairly frequently because I got interested in it from the daily system.

And yes, from the sounds of it, your frustrations are coming from a bad computer. I think it’s a little unfair to direct anger on the forum/at A-net considering this is the foundation to the problem.

So here comes the computery advice. I’m not a tech-wiz, so perhaps somebody will correct me on some of these pointers.

Long loading times tend to be down RAM issues, so make sure that you don’t have many background processes up if you can help it. A lot of computers come with or develop bulkware that open up on start-up (so if your PC takes a while to fire-up, this might also be part of the problem). Look at your task manager and try to single out programmes that you don’t use, might’ve downloaded as an “add-on” for something else etc. If in doubt, look it up on google.

In addition to this, make sure you don’t have other processes up. Chrome is known to gobble away your RAM, for instance.

Of course, make sure things like character model limit/quality is very low in-game, as this also will have an impact on loading times. Setting texture quality and LOD distance lower might help.

My client runs with a much higher FPS if I use windowed mode, or shrink the window down a bit. I’m not sure if this helps with loading times, but it can’t hurt to try it. I’m pretty sure this is a CPU or graphical thing though, considering the smaller the window is the less fan-noise my PC makes too.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Actually while playing a max level character you get quite a good stream of Level-Up Tomes, so whatever char you play, you will get level ups for your alts.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

I refuse to play any game that takes longer to load than it does to play. Perhaps YOU can load maps in under 5 mins. I am very happy for you if so, but that doesn’t benefit me, AT ALL.

Your problem isn’t the Dailies. Your problem is right here.

Five minute load times are not normal and you should not consider them to be normal. Normal load times are more in the range of one to two minutes.

This is most likely a bottleneck stemming from your HDD. Neither RAM nor CPU will affect this.

Once the game files are in RAM (this is what the loading screen is doing), you’re golden. Indeed, the game seems playable for you, once you exit the loading screen.

Using the CrystalDiskMark benchmarking program, my old disk drive, which loaded maps in 1 to 2 minutes measured sequential read times between 85-95 MB/s, and random read at 500-900 KB/s. My current SSD gets sequential 500MB/s, and random 250MB/s (loads maps from cold in 20-40 seconds).

If you can find the time, run that benchmark program on the disk you’ve installed GW2 on. Unless I’m mistaken, you’ll find very slow read times. If you do, please consider investing in a new disk drive, they really aren’t expensive these days.

Crimson Clouds.4853

Five minute load times are not normal and you should not consider them to be normal. Normal load times are more in the range of one to two minutes.

Even 1-2 mins is excessive.

My computer isn’t considered a gaming computer, and I would restart the client if my loading time (into LA for example) was getting close to 2 minutes.

30 seconds is about reasonable for an LA load, a little less for other cities and about 5-10 seconds for normal maps.

Hmm… so if RAM has little to do with loading times, how come when I removed 4gb of RAM (from an 8gb RAM laptop) did my loading times treble/quadruple? I don’t mean to sound sceptic or sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious. It wasn’t just coincidence either… as soon as I fired up GW2 and tried to move maps I was immediately struck by how poor the loading time was. Removing the RAM was a mistake (it just wasn’t set properly back in its slot and was fiddly due to the laptop casing design), so it wasn’t any expectation bias either. I only found out that the RAM was the issue after 5-10 mins and checked the control panel. Once it was set back in properly my loading times were fine again.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I like the dailies. Great variety.

Hating them because they make you change zones, which is painful because of your abnormally slow load times is focussing on the wrong problem. If your load times are that slow how do you play anything in the game????

Anyhow, if you don’t like dailies, um, don’t do them. Simples.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I used to do the old dailies/monthly’s, I just can’t be bothered anymore.

Seems too much to do.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: StaticX.7695

StaticX.7695

^ /thread

Seriously, you can log in, open pvp window, go to custom arena directly and get 2/3 dailies mostly afk in under 5 minutes. Then you can either do another one with a class that’s up for win, hop to WvW for an easy one, check the world boss schedule, check the gather, etc.

OP is simply lazy and is blaming other things instead of facing to the real problem of, they don’t enjoy the game. Here’s a magic thought: If you don’t enjoy doing dailies, don’t do em! It’s 10AP and a few worthless things that usually get thrown in the bank to rot, and spirit shards which can be gotten from champion chests in any aspect of the game you could possibly enjoy! What do you want? a free 10AP and rewards just for logging in?

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Here is my daily quest list that i will go for it.

PvE: daily vista, daily gathering
WvW: ruin master, mist guard killer, camp capture, dolyak killer, veteran slayer, big spender
PvP: point capture, point defender, pvp reward, class winner

There is quite a lot of easy task to do and usually can be finished within 15 mins.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I used to do the old dailies/monthly’s, I just can’t be bothered anymore.

Seems too much to do.

Same, ever since the new dailies I’ve done them maybe 5 times.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do the new dailies faster than I did the old ones.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I read people saying, “oh I can do them in X minutes” or “I do them faster now” and I see them leaving out one word, an important word in an entertainment product.

Fun

No one ever seems to say, “oh I have more fun doing them now. They’re better than the last set that way.” No, it’s always how fast I can get them over and done with. That’s the difference between the old and new sets of dailies. The old set I did while having fun. The new set is what I do before having fun. And that’s what it sounds like to me everytime someone makes a point of how quickly they can get them out of the way so they can go off and do something else. Dailies that have turned into some sort of chore to do, if you bother to do them at all, are dailies that are poorly designed.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Angus.5961

Angus.5961

Hmm… so if RAM has little to do with loading times, how come when I removed 4gb of RAM (from an 8gb RAM laptop) did my loading times treble/quadruple? I don’t mean to sound sceptic or sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious.

Removing half your RAM probably caused more windows pagefile (“virtual memory”) access

(edited by Angus.5961)

Inverse.2967

I read people saying, “oh I can do them in X minutes” or “I do them faster now” and I see them leaving out one word, an important word in an entertainment product.

Fun

No one ever seems to say, “oh I have more fun doing them now. They’re better than the last set that way.” No, it’s always how fast I can get them over and done with. That’s the difference between the old and new sets of dailies. The old set I did while having fun. The new set is what I do before having fun. And that’s what it sounds like to me everytime someone makes a point of how quickly they can get them out of the way so they can go off and do something else. Dailies that have turned into some sort of chore to do, if you bother to do them at all, are dailies that are poorly designed.

While I don’t think them dailies to be too much of a chore…
Actually what you say is true, while i just ignore them when I don’t like them I have been waiting quite a few times in Lion’s Arch waiting to have fun, because someone I had an appointement with to play LS2 chapters was still busy wasting his time getting the PvE dailies done.. and thus also wasting my time in the process.
Yes it is true that example is an individual problem here, but heck even that a daily does even tempt peeps to do the chore first is kinda awkward.

With the PvP dailies the thing is a bit different though.
I think those are cool and not a chore at all, if you are about to play PvP the dailies will come practically while you do what you wanted to do anyways.
PvE dailies are more problematic because they tie so much to a specific area.

Crimson Clouds.4853

Fun

I get your point… but most people don’t find doing very simple and repetitive tasks thrilling or fun. But at the same, they’re not a chore- it would be a chore if I was forced to do them with no reward. I do them out of my own free will because the rewards aren’t terrible for the time invested (e.g. forager often nets me chili peppers which are worth quite a bit) and because I’m an AP hunter and 10 “free” AP every day is considerable.

The only fun (for me, at least) that has ever come out of doing daily has been the fact that it got me more interested in PvP than I was before.

The dailies aren’t designed to be exciting- or if they are, there’s something seriously wrong. They’re there to promote a loyal player-base and thus an active community with greater longevity. Enticing people to frequently log-in means that they’ll get to see game updates- that could mean seeing new content advertised (which means players are more likely to spend more hours in game) or to see new gem-store items advertised (meaning possibly more revenue through sales).

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Why is my windows 2000 computer taking so long to load! GAH! Its Anet’s fault!

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

If this is the first time you’ve seen anyone comment that they dislike the new daily system, you haven’t been here very long. There have been lengthy discussions about funneling people into game modes they don’t like, double fractals, fewer choices for PvE players, maps being overrun and events not coded to scale to handle the number of people doing them, and just generally lacking in flavour. I’m sure I’m missing some things. Honestly, dailies and monthlies kept getting me out in the game world for a long time. Since this new system was implemented almost a year ago, I’ve done maybe 5-10 jumping puzzles, and I don’t think I’ve completed a full set of dailies since June or July. I know I’m just one person, but I know I’m not the only one whose passion for the game has been strangled to death.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

Fun

Eh I personally found the old dailies to be a boring chore but I find these ones more fun as I get more choice.
My main reason for doing the old dailies/monthlies was laurels but now I don’t have that restriction I find I get more opportunity to do what I want. As our guild is PvX and I play PvE, sPvP and WvW depending on the day and how I/we feel then I find the new dailies fit me much better.

Do I always get the dailies done? Nope. But equally I don’t care too much about AP.

Do they sometimes give me more incentive to do certain things? Yup. I like double fractal day as it reminds that certain people in my guild need a hand with levelling up so we try to organise doing some fractals for them. I do help them with levelling anyway but it’s nice to get the bonus rewards.

So yeah for me, and I’d guess others but no promises there, I find the new dailies more “fun” subjectively just because I get more choice to do what I want and sometimes get a nice little treat from it.

Now would I change anything about the new dailies? Well yeah sure why not? Won’t affect me adversely if they did a a region or level (1 – 15, or 15 – 25 for example) event completer.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Fun

exactly what I was thinking! Before the change, they could take an hour, but I wouldn’t mind as I was doing what I wanted to do anyway. Now, I want to get them out of the quickly, or not do them at all, before I start what I want to do.

Serophous.9085

If this is the first time you’ve seen anyone comment that they dislike the new daily system, you haven’t been here very long. There have been lengthy discussions about funneling people into game modes they don’t like, double fractals, fewer choices for PvE players, maps being overrun and events not coded to scale to handle the number of people doing them, and just generally lacking in flavour. I’m sure I’m missing some things. Honestly, dailies and monthlies kept getting me out in the game world for a long time. Since this new system was implemented almost a year ago, I’ve done maybe 5-10 jumping puzzles, and I don’t think I’ve completed a full set of dailies since June or July. I know I’m just one person, but I know I’m not the only one whose passion for the game has been strangled to death.

So, instead of enjoying the freedom of going out into the world to do what you want, you enjoyed being told what to do.

What’s stopping you from doing those jumping puzzles now? Because there isn’t text in a game saying “go do 50 jps in a month”? Then set you’re own goal to do that. There is nothing in the game stopping you.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Then I remember how player-friendly and outright useful the old dailies were, then I usually log off straight away.

Old system just gave you only APs, new system gives you way more. Old system required you to finish dailies to get laurels, with the new system you get them just by logging in. And you call the old system player-friendly and useful? Is this a joke?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

No joke. This should be in the FAQ for an example of posts that you should not make ever.

“My computer sucks and I’m lazy, therefore dailies are a dismal failure.”

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Sounds like it’s the PvE dailies that suck for ya, OP.

And you’d be right. It’s been detailed a dozen times in a dozen threads, so I won’t outline it again here, but yeah, they suck.

I ditched PvE dailies in favor of mixing in 1-3 PvP dailies in a daily room. No muss, no fuss (unless you’re trying to get daily winner.. yeesh), and that keeps me from going into teeth-grinding fits over shoddily designed PvE dailies.

And, those PvP rewards tracks~

Keep in mind, I loathe, hate, despise normal PvP, so it’s something of a ringing endorsement. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

So, instead of enjoying the freedom of going out into the world to do what you want, you enjoyed being told what to do.

What’s stopping you from doing those jumping puzzles now? Because there isn’t text in a game saying “go do 50 jps in a month”? Then set you’re own goal to do that. There is nothing in the game stopping you.

There’s no incentive, either.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

This. Sounds like he needs an SSD upgrade. Since they’re already bottlenecked by SATA 3 I say just go for a relatively cheap 1TB one. I’d recommend a PCIe SSD but the PCIe bus isn’t optimized for memory storage so there are some issues with them, and they can only be used on Skylake boards anyway. I’d wait for Cannonlake before going PCIe since by then they’d be optimized for it.

Inverse.2967

This. Sounds like he needs an SSD upgrade. Since they’re already bottlenecked by SATA 3 I say just go for a relatively cheap 1TB one. I’d recommend a PCIe SSD but the PCIe bus isn’t optimized for memory storage so there are some issues with them, and they can only be used on Skylake boards anyway. I’d wait for Cannonlake before going PCIe since by then they’d be optimized for it.

Such a high load time can’t be the result of an outdated component that just works fine. Something must be wrong here much more than not having latest components.
But we won’t find out what it is hence we cannot trouble shoot his system hands-on from this forum.

Serophous.9085

Which only proves the point people weren’t doing them for “fun” there was an incentive behind it.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Which only proves the point people weren’t doing them for “fun” there was an incentive behind it.

Which you can say about practically everything in the game. Dungeon’s gold nerfed. People worry that no one will do them now. Fractals? People say the low levels are too unrewarding to do. Silverwastes. Do you think that area would still have map fulls of people if it wasn’t financially rewarding? No point in picking on dailies about this if it’s a common theme throughout the game.

So yes. They need to be rewarding. That doesn’t mean though they shouldn’t also be designed so that people enjoy doing them.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

Completely disagree with the OP. The new dailies are great for the simple reason that they arent tied to laurels anymore. I can skip a daily without worrying in the slightest because i wont be losing out on anything except AP (and ap is capped for dailies anyway). So if you dont like the new system, dont use it. Easy.

Whereas in the old system, if you didnt like it, well, too bad, you had to use it or no laurels (which are pretty much required if you ever want anything ascended)

People who like the new dailies arent against more options being put in (its already stated there will be a new section for fractals btw), but whining that the old system is better and should be put back in game is silly

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

This community will (and frequently does) whine about absolutely anything.

This OPs post is one of the best examples of this I’ve ever seen.

And having been here 3 years, that’s saying something.

Headdesk

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So yes. They need to be rewarding. That doesn’t mean though they shouldn’t also be designed so that people enjoy doing them.

The new dailies are more rewarding than the old ones because they actually give rewards… old ones only gave AP

Just a flesh wound.3589

The new dailies are more rewarding than the old ones because they actually give rewards… old ones only gave AP

Ok. We have the reward box checked. Now how about the fun box? I would like to have that checked too, and it’s not. Not for PvE people.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Dailies that have turned into some sort of chore to do, if you bother to do them at all, are dailies that are poorly designed.

Agreed.

I would rather be rewarded for playing content I choose in a way I enjoy on a daily basis as opposed to having the content and method of attaining daily reward dictated to me in the restricted manner it is now, work simulation.

This would be a non-issue for me if not for experiencing the old system which I vastly preferred. In saying I think the new system could keep both camps happy, it just needs WAY more variation and choice with less map and time-gated restrictions. I don’t mind being told what to do anywhere near as much as being told where and when…. This has far greater intrusion on my daily game time.

Sure I’ll do 4 events…heck I’ll do 6 if you want but why in friggin Queensdale?My character left there months ago and owes money. Sure I’ll chop down some trees…but why does it have to be in an area I’d otherwise have no interest in?Sure I’ll kill a boss but why that one whose spawn I just missed.., etc, etc.

Many of the other achievement categories would slot in perfectly as well. Use this weapon this many times, kill this mob type/level x amount of times, etc, etc. Just some more varied and interesting methods of completion that can easily integrate into pre-existing play would solve any issue for me and there’s so much room for improvement.

Maybe different ones for each map or zone so it could be completed regardless of where you’re currently enjoying exploring or playing. Make it work for and with the player and what they are up to in-game as opposed to drop everything, get dailies done, go back to what I was doing.

Currently to me it just comes across as merely a way of shepherding players to zones where new players are to give the impression of the game being more populated and active than it actually is. Either that or just lazy design as it’s very cookie-cutter and unimaginative.

Easier shinies does not negate these issues for me.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Usually the daily takes about seven minutes, about as long as the OP’s Commodore 64 takes to load.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Maybe I read it wrong, but I do remember that in Hot you can “unlock” more dailies (permanent?).

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Usually the daily takes about seven minutes, about as long as the OP’s Commodore 64 takes to load.

Sir/Madam, you win the internetz! Thank you for the LOLZ

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

He should upgrade from cassette tape to the C64 floppy disk drive. iirc that was about 20% quicker than tape. Quite an achievement to get such a poor performance increase. Um, not that I’m old enough to remember or anything…. cough cough… nothing to see here…