Dailies just don't do it for me...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ObsidianSaint.1079

ObsidianSaint.1079

Is it just me or are the dailies extremely bland and repetitive?

Surely when creating content like dailies it’s made to break the repetitive nature of the game and vary what a player does every day. I understand that Anet is trying to make them have a wide scope so any type of player can do them but I think moving the community around the map and giving them different things to do everyday is more important.

When I heard about dailies I was thinking more along the lines of the following dailies. Please tell me that you would enjoy these more than the ones we have currently.

• Platinum Miner: Mine 20 platinum ore.
  • Herb Lover IV: Harvest from 15 Mature herb seedlings.
  • Dragon Slayer: Help defeat a dragon in the open world.
  • Masterpieces: Create 20 Masterwork quality items.
  • Dredge Slaughter: Kill 20 Dredge.
  • Poison Cleanser: Cleanse yourself of poison 5 times.
  • Spore harvester: Destroy a toxic spore outlet.
  • Mordremoth Intimidator: Defeat the mordremoth Champion.
  • Queensdale Hero: Complete 5 events in Queensdale.
  • Hero’s bluff jumper: Complete the jumping puzzle “hero’s bluff”. (I forgot the name of the jumping puzzle)

This would help move the community around the map to different locations and allow them to appreicate the environment more instead of leaving places completely devoid of any players. It also brings variety to the game and something a little more interesting than the same routine every single day.

Every player has made a routine by now to get certain achieves. For instance, daily kills is easy in queensdale where all the worms are. Gatherer is really boring now! Let’s bring some fun back to achievements! .

(edited by ObsidianSaint.1079)

Posted by: leebe.2093

leebe.2093

yours seem a little too precise for me, I prefer to get my dailies as I play the game

ObsidianSaint.1079

Do you not think that dailies should be something you go out of you’re way to do though?

They are designed to make you’re time in the game more interesting. What fun is it if you just get them whilst playing? The whole reason there is a percentage marker is so you can work towards them.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Do you not think that dailies should be something you go out of you’re way to do though?

Not really. Look at how they are implemented. Seems pretty obvious to me that it is specifically intended that you not have to go out of your way to do them.

They are designed to make you’re time in the game more interesting.

I think that the fact that you can complete them without even realizing it makes it pretty clear that they are not intended to make your time in game more interesting, just more rewarding.

What fun is it if you just get them whilst playing?

If you are playing are you not then, by definition, having fun ?

Dailies in GW2 seem intended to get people to log in no matter what aspect of the game they prefer (PvE side at least).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

They are designed to make you’re time in the game more interesting. What fun is it if you just get them whilst playing? The whole reason there is a percentage marker is so you can work towards them.

The whole point of dailies was to get them done while playing, going as little out of your way as possible. ANet tried to use more varied dailies and the reception was mixed, so they returned to being more general. One of the biggest complaints against more specific dailies such as you list is that players who prefer WvW only were unable to complete them in their preferred game mode. Now, they can.

Personally, I don’t care that much either way, but I can see the WvW point. Those players have gotten the short end of the kitten for much of the game.

Posted by: leebe.2093

leebe.2093

I still go out of my way to do them, but atm I can choose where to do them

I think they’re designed to make your time in the game more rewarding not more interesting, I’d loose interest fast if I had to do the same thing every day

ObsidianSaint.1079

Ah, i suppose I kind of see WvW point of view, and the pvp. It’s a shame because I don’t think people really get the most out of the achieves. Most of the people I know simply do pvp achieves because you can go into an empty room with a friend and complete them in minutes.

If it’s champs they just do the champ train, gatherer just run around one of the low level areas and within about 20 minutes you’re daily is done.

I recently went back to another game and they had actual focused dailies and it really did make the game SO much better. I returned and it actually made me want to keep playing. It varied the gameplay from what I normally do and made it more interesting.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I don’t work toward dailies or monthlies, they simply happen as I play. Okay, maybe condition remover and dodge I have to top off to get the achievement that day but I usually already have the daily and I’m just wanting the extra achievement points.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

There shouldn’t even be dailies.
They could’ve added more content for solo’ers, small groups, & guilds instead.

These events could be randomized on a daily timer, with a zone-wide alert, in each zone.

Yes, the meta-events are the same thing, but they usually require pre-events to trigger them, making them obscure, because of the lack of knowledge of the chained events.

These other events would be different though, that wouldn’t require pre-requisites, and they would offer similar rewards such as laurels, mystic coins, etc., and perhaps these rewards could be restricted once per day, such as the current daily system. They could also offer different rewards for guilds, which offer more influence points, or more bonuses.

But you know, E-sports and Biconics is what it’s important right now.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Why do people always force OTHER players to do things they maybe don’t want to do ?

If YOU like to do whatever you wrote on daily base .. just do it .. nobody hinders you
doing it .. but don’t force other to do that because you only find things rewarding if
other may feel force to grind stuff they don’t like

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I think you could make your dailies more challenging by simply leaving Queensdale and not completing them in any of the starter zones.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

I for one love your idea.

Yes, I play the way I want, more I love having goals to work towards to, something Guild Wars gives me. The dailies we have now do give us a vary general field to complete dailies, often doing them as we play – however, having specific ones that are challenging can be rewarding as well.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I think when you get that specific, dailies can easily become a chore list as there is nothing really challenging about them. They are just narrowed dailies, thats not fun.

I like that I can get all 12 objectives with 3 matches of PvP and a hour or two of WvW most days because they reward me for doing the activities I enjoy every day. I think this was Anet’s intent.

It would be nice to have a “daily challenge” that directed you to complete a specific jumping puzzle, dungeon, or boss event.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I disagree 100% with absolutely everything you said, OP. The primary purpose of daily achievements is to get people logging in on a daily basis, and playing at least for a little bit. I usually complete mine without even having to think about it, and that is more or less how they should be. I just log in, play whatever content I want in whatever zone I want, and get them done in the course of that play.

There is nothing fun about being told to farm 15 mature herb seedlings, or wasting time and materials crafting 20 masterwork items. These are not things that will likely happen naturally. Either players will have to expend special attention and game time just to complete these pointless chores, or they will not do them at all. And in either case, pretty much everyone will be annoyed.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I like completing the Daily without even thinking about it, it’s the cherry on top of everything I’ve done that day.

ObsidianSaint.1079

Why do people always force OTHER players to do things they maybe don’t want to do ?

If YOU like to do whatever you wrote on daily base .. just do it .. nobody hinders you
doing it .. but don’t force other to do that because you only find things rewarding if

Well, I am actually asking, I am not forcing. This is a discussion as to whether this is just me.

I hardly call gathering 15 herbs grinding. I would probably lower that number tbh but they were just examples. The whole idea is to give people some variety in their game.

I will do what I want and I always have but as all game designers know most people will take the path of least resistance. That applies in this case because most people just grind the SAME THING everyday to get the same achievements. All I am suggesting is that people actually work for the achieves and grind something DIFFERENT every day.

Beldin.5498

Well, I am actually asking, I am not forcing. This is a discussion as to whether this is just me.

I hardly call gathering 15 herbs grinding. I would probably lower that number tbh but they were just examples. The whole idea is to give people some variety in their game.

I will do what I want and I always have but as all game designers know most people will take the path of least resistance. That applies in this case because most people just grind the SAME THING everyday to get the same achievements. All I am suggesting is that people actually work for the achieves and grind something DIFFERENT every day.

At some days i gather maybe 500 herbs and 2000 iron an platin ore, but i won’t
force others to do the same .. or once i killed 10 dragons at one day, still i don’t
want others that they must do that.

And yes .. it is forcing if you have a problem to set yourself a target and so you want
the devs to create more complex dailys for you that in the end force everyone else
to specific things.

You want to kill a dragon .. fine .. do it
want to craft 20 masterwork pieces ? Fine .. just do it
Want to do 20 Jumping puzzles ? Then just do them ..

But don’t expect that everyone else also should do them just because of you.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The Daily Beast

Nope. The way they are designed suggests the developers don’t, either.

I don’t think making large hoops into much smaller hoops would be an improvement over the current achievement system, which is why I doubt that’s going to happen.

I do, however, agree that there should be more to do on a daily basis, believe the replayability of Season Two will help, and am totally on board with any move that will add more options to the “end game” and keep GW2 fresh and interesting on an ongoing basis.

How specifically to do that will be, as always, a subject of debate. I think the best place to improve the experience isn’t in the dailies, but in many other areas of the game.

YMMV, of course, but that’s my two bits.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

I know how you feel the sane kitten every day but the what gets me is the so called monthly’s that are completed in 1 or 2 days through regular game-play please make them harder or make daily/weekly/monthly.

or add a twist to the daily/ monthly for example daily Fractal survivor -complete x level fractal without dying.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

ObsidianSaint.1079

At some days i gather maybe 500 herbs and 2000 iron an platin ore, but i won’t
force others to do the same .. or once i killed 10 dragons at one day, still i don’t
want others that they must do that.

And yes .. it is forcing if you have a problem to set yourself a target and so you want
the devs to create more complex dailys for you that in the end force everyone else
to specific things.

You want to kill a dragon .. fine .. do it
want to craft 20 masterwork pieces ? Fine .. just do it
Want to do 20 Jumping puzzles ? Then just do them ..

But don’t expect that everyone else also should do them just because of you.

Thanks again for adding zero to the thread once again. You just reworded exactly what you said in the previous post you made. I will do what I want, it’s not about that. I am suggesting it be made more varied for the good of the game.

Living season is done every 2 weeks and adds about 5 days worth of content, at most. I am merely suggesting something to get people coming back and also making them change up their routine. Dailies aren’t Dailies at all! It is the same thing over and over.

They may as well just say “If you actively play for 1 hour a day you get a daily!” Would that be good for the game? That’s how I see the achievements at the moment. I see them as a lame everyday grind where most people (not me) go to a low level area and just smash them out real quick.

A few of my friends are becoming more and more bored with the game just doing the same thing everyday. That’s why I made this suggestion, to gauge reactions. It seems most people don’t want but an interesting thought to talk about none the less.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Surely when creating content like dailies it’s made to break the repetitive nature of the game and vary what a player does every day. I understand that Anet is trying to make them have a wide scope so any type of player can do them but I think moving the community around the map and giving them different things to do everyday is more important.

When I heard about dailies I was thinking more along the lines of the following dailies. Please tell me that you would enjoy these more than the ones we have currently.

• Hero’s bluff jumper: Complete the jumping puzzle “hero’s bluff”. (I forgot the name of the jumping puzzle)

This would help move the community around the map to different locations and allow them to appreicate the environment more instead of leaving places completely devoid of any players. It also brings variety to the game and something a little more interesting than the same routine every single day.

Every player has made a routine by now to get certain achieves. For instance, daily kills is easy in queensdale where all the worms are. Gatherer is really boring now! Let’s bring some fun back to achievements! .

NO!

I am absolutely against this.

Dailies back then were more precise than today dailies. They weren’t fun. They were grindy.

Now, Dailies can be done while playing normally. I don’t need to look at the upper right corner to see if I finished all my dailies.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You just reworded exactly what you said in the previous post you made.

Isn’t that essentially what you are doing ?

I am suggesting it be made more varied for the good of the game.

You are not suggesting anything that adds variety. Anyone desiring to do any given specific activity in game can do so now. What you are suggesting is reducing rewards for people who are playing whatever content they enjoy now.

I am merely suggesting something to get people coming back

Reducing rewards for content people playing as they want in the content they want seems likely to keep people coming back to you ? If I told you right now that the game code was being changed so that you personally would have your drops reduced by some amount, lets say 75%, that would increase your inclination to play ?

They may as well just say “If you actively play for 1 hour a day you get a daily!” Would that be good for the game? That’s how I see the achievements at the moment. I see them as a lame everyday grind where most people (not me) go to a low level area and just smash them out real quick.

I can get my daily reward with an hour of play doing what I want in the zone(s) where I prefer to play. No special effort is needed to get them at all. How is something that requires no effort above what you were going to do anyway a, “grind ?”

A few of my friends are becoming more and more bored with the game just doing the same thing everyday.

Then why are they doing the same thing every day ? They can do essentially anything they like in game and still get the daily. No one is forcing them to do the same thing every day.

ObsidianSaint.1079

Ok, so maybe it is just me and a select few lol.

Worth a small discussion anyways, I accept everyone’s points of view and I do accept some of these points.

Thanks everyone for you’re feedback

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

too many achievements in game already no need to make dailies take longer i do them to get the laurels only i dont do them all, it doesnt take more then an hour tops for me which is fine sometimes thats all the time i got to play that day

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

GW2 easily has the best daily system I’ve ever seen in an MMO. I love that I often get my daily without even trying. When it doesn’t come naturally, I generally just check and find that I only need to gather a few resources, rez a few people or something like that to knock it out.

I love having a daily system that rewards you for playing what you like in the game instead of forcing you into monotonous quests like other games (cough, WoW, cough).

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i’m happy with the current dailies that does not require me to spend a lot of time in order to achieve.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Finally found a thread that i am on the same side of some particular players.

Another No to the suggestion. Everyone said my reason already so i will skip the typing.

Posted by: Fuin.8361

Fuin.8361

I agree with the op, I get the daily without paying attention to it and I favor the suggestion.
I would als like daily events or questchains.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

People who like the OP’s suggestion could actually implement it themselves, within the current daily system.

For example if gatherer is up pick a material you want to focus on and go find it.
If daily kills is on the list today pick an enemy type and use them to get the achievement.
If champion slayer is up pick a specific champion and fight them.

And because you get to choose you can tailor it to your own preferences even further. For example instead of having to gather platinum because that’s what Anet have decided you can choose which material to focus on. If you need platinum get platinum. If you have enough already but need iron you can get iron instead. Or you can focus on something you simply haven’t gotten for a while.

If you want to pick a specific map or area to do your daily in you can do that too. Again for variety you could choose to focus on somewhere you haven’t been for ages, or work your way around the map – do it in Tarnished Coast one day, Kryta the next, Shiverpeaks the day after etc.

But there is absolutely no reason to force everyone else who wants to get the daily achievements into the same narrow band of options. Which is what this system would do. If you can only get the daily by killing dredge then no one has an option – they have to kill dredge whether they want to or not. But if it simply says ‘kill 20 enemies’ then everyone can choose for themselves which ones to kill.

If you and your friends have found yourself always going to the same place and doing the same things to get your daily achievements then that’s your problem and it’s easy to fix without changing a system that works well for the majority of people.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

OP’s suggestions, would work much better as weekly/monthly. I don’t mind having specific objectives, as long as I have the freedom to choose when to do them.

Beldin.5498

So doing 5 events in Queensdale will help ?

And btw. we already had those dailys for a while with doing 5 events in Kryta, Ascalon
or Shiverpeaks. And i really prefer the general 5 events, since i play maybe 95% of my
time somewhere in Shiverpeaks and so prefer to do also my events, my kills and
whatever else there .. instead having to go to Queensdale to camp some Spider there.

Else i set myself my own daily tasks .. like harvesting Ori / Ancient wood with 13 chars
in Frostgorge .. harvesting rich iron ores in Dredghaunt .. rich platinum in Timberline ..

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Another thing to consider is that Anet want dailies to be accessible to people of all levels. Under the current system that works because you can do most of the dailies pretty much anywhere, and the area specific ones are usually for WvW or PvP where you’re scaled up.

Under your system they would have to make sure at least 5 could be completed in starter areas. Which most likely would just lead to everyone going to the starter zones to do them and not bothering with others unless they were already in the area.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Very poorly thought out examples. How is a LVL 15 suppose to mine Platinum or harvest Mature Herbs? You cannot limit your thought to LVL 80s only (and Anet certainly can’t).

Dailies must be doable by a LVL 1 (in it’s current form). That’s not to say that some sort of level aware Daily system cannot be developed, but now you are talking revamping the entire system and frankly, I don’t see the system being broken in any way to begin with.

I would not be apposed to removing one or 2 of the ALWAYS ON Dailies or some random rotation ones (and adding some random rotation ones that are possible for ALL players).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)