Daily and monthly achievement points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lonely Hermit.1967

Lonely Hermit.1967

I know that there have been a lot of topics like this one, but nothing has been solved yet. It’s about daily and monthly achievement points in leaderboards. In my opinion, these achievement points ruin the game. I think that there are four reasons to think this way. I would like you to open your constructive thinking now.

The first reason is that this is a game. People are supposed to ENJOY the game and these who are good in something should be awarded by a good position in leaderboards. Daily and monthly achievements make people play every day two-three hours only to get 9 pve achievements (now 10) and 4 spvp (now 6). Especially people who hate spvp has to play it just to get achievement points and be at good position. Do you really think that it should be like this? People should play this game only to make their dailies? Ok, I understand that it should take special afford to be in the top, but who do you think enjoys doing it every day? Of course no one is forcing us to do this, but what is the logic? Why doesn’t we only have laurels for dailies? Or why isn’t there any maximum of accumulated achievement points per day? For example I like to play spvp but I don’t like pve and wvw much. I would only do pvp daily and I would know that no one won’t get more points than me. Another question is… why is there 10 choices to do pve daily if you have to do all anyway?

The second reason are beginners. Imagine that you buy guild wars 2 today. There are two kind (main categories) of peope. The first are people who only wants to enjoy the game. The second are people that wants to be the best. So if you belong to the second group, you naturally want to have a chance to be the best one day. How can you do it with current achievement system? I personally have 8275 achievement points at the moment. 4801 are from regular staffs and 3474 are from daily and monthly achievements (a lot of people have even more from daily and monthly). How is the beginner, who wants to be the best one day, supposed to get the 3474 achievement points? Would you like to play a game where you can NEVER be the top? Yeah, I know… People who play since beta should be ahead, but they already are because of Halloween, Winters day and more. They have more points in spvp and wvw… And of course there is spvp leaderboards, but not everyone wants to play spvp and instead wants to be the top of pve. I am not saying that achievement points are the best way how to show who is the best at pve, but it’s hard to make an perfect indicator and achievements at least show that you know something about the game. So what about making a max amount of daily and monthly achievements like agent of entropy and hobby dungeon explorer have? Not 250 but 3000 for example? Or delete daily and monthly achievement points totally?

The third reason is that there has to be an indicator which tells you if the player you just took to the party is newbie or not. Achievements are the only thing which can show it. I know that it’s a bad indicator, but it’s better than anything at all. Let’s imagine a guy, who only does dailies and few other things. He can have like 3000 achievement points and you think all right, he is not bad, let’s take him. This guy knows anything about the game and will probably die a lot => only bother to you.

Fourth is the imbalance between these points and other achievements. For example you get 5 achievement points for legendary weapon which takes a lot of afford, but you can do one daily where you get 10 points every day. This really doesn’t seem all right to me.

I would really like to have a respond from developers. Are you going to do something about it or is it going to be like this forever? And others… if you are going to write about whining than just calm down and don’t write anything at all please.

Last thing I would like to write is that I absolutely love this game. It has a great potential, but it’s still quite imbalanced. Anyway it’s still great game and developers do a great job.

Thank you

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I cannot fathom the stock placed in these things.

Ok, dailies and monthlies really need to decay. We should separate the leaderboards into category. But that’s not my problem here.

First off, this is a leaderboard. I’m sorry to hurt people’s feelings, but someone might just be ahead of you due to things out of your control. Such is life. Of course, in a non competitive situation like PvE this means diddly squat beyond the time they spent playing it. It doesn’t mean they’re better than you, and honestly if anyone actually put value in it, they probably don’t deserve to be on it anyways.

A casual player such as myself has no desire to top the boards in anything because I know I lack the skill and will to even bother with these things. Instead, why not just be proud of what you have already accomplished instead of always thinking that someone else’s accomplishments diminish your own? I have 2714 achievement points and they’re not going to go away because people have 6000. I didn’t play for 4 months… shrugs.So someone invested a lot of time in stuff no one cares about. Ok!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Lonely Hermit.1967

Lonely Hermit.1967

First off, you belong to people who doesn’t care about leaderboards, so you probably can’t understand, that someone does care.

And I am not really writing this because I want to be top… I am in top 25 europe so that is enough for me… I wrote this because I think that if there is a leaderboards, it shouldn’t be based on how much dailies you have done. I agree that it should be based on time you spent in game, but not really dailies. But this is just my opinion and I just wanted to share my opinion with others

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Indeed, I am completely unable to comprehend the deal over it and why there are so many threads on it. Well, besides reasons of vanity which everyone can understand. Though it’s just that I really can’t sit with the generalization of there being two types of beginners— of one which wants to be the best because if they were that type, then they certainly wouldn’t really want to refer to the leaderboard as meaningful at all. It’s just that achievement points is just more about tackling arbitrary parts of the game than anything else.

But you’re right. I just don’t care enough, so maybe I see your effects as also trivial as well.

It’s just that either Arenanet released the board just for fun, or that they have no grasp of effort vs reward. I’d lean towards the former on this.

If you want the leaderboard to mean something, it needs be seasonal, and it needs to be comprised of a list of season specific challenges that are worth a lot of points. We can keep the old leaderboard for all time points, but the “real” competition would be in the seasonal ones and dailies would not be counted. At the end of the season, offer a trophy to those to mark it.

It solves all problems relating to time gating.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I agree, achievement points of dailies and monthlies should be deleted. I got 7400+ achievement points and probably missed less than 1% of all pvp and pve daily/monthly achievement points, so I would loose a lot. But I would be fine with it because doing this daily stuff feels like a chore more and more after each rework of the dailies and monthlies.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Well then to a lesser degree you would have to change the one time event achievements as well. I don’t deem it as such important, it will basically show you at one point who’s been playing for a longer time.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”