Damaging your own game

Damaging your own game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DevonPaul.7495

DevonPaul.7495

I am sorry but from a brief perusal of these forums it seems that something/s are not right in Tyria and the deafening silence is doing nothing to allay these fears.

Bug Fixes – Cause more bugs
Loot Drops – Nerfed to the point of “Why bother”
New area – Opened nearly a month ago – Still virtually dead
Diminishing returns – Judging by the forums 80% of the playing population disgusted
Gem Store – Nothing worth buying really (1 Skin for each armour type!)
WvWvW – Tumbleweed time
Dungeons – Broken mechanics
Ascended Items – Disliked by some, reading through the forums, major source of “I quit”

What will happen with this game is firmly in the hands of the developers, but artificially stymying progression through nerfs and poor bug fix patches is not the way forward.

I liked this game, now, I think “its free (after initial purchase), might as well have a play”, but this wont have me visiting the Gem Store and giving the developers more money. First fix that which was broken, second, put something in the Gem Store worth buying. Problem; reputation and “good will” is lessening meaning that if anything worthwhile does come out on the Gem Store, people will think twice

To the developers:

YOU CAN nerf
- Karma farming
- Dungeon farming
- Materials (Crafting) farming
- Gold farming

But WHY WOULD YOU alienate 4 different playing groups? How is this going to be GOOD for the game? In the manifesto we were sold on the “Play the game YOUR way”, well some people like to

- Run public events all day
- Run dungeons all day
- Farm for crafting materials all day
- Farm and trade (look at my bank balance!) all day

Now the following is happening

Run FoTM – And now I am seeing a drop off on that on the server I play on)

Creating 1 Dimensional gaming in an MMO is suicide

Damaging your own game

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

wintersday is coming and as seen on their event notification page it looks like something will happen in januari aswell. just wat and see what they got for us. Anet does listen it just takes time for them to “fix” things.

for anybody else complaining: i do realize it is no fun and do realize it will “drive” a certain amount of people away (good ridance if you ask me) but if any of you people can do it beter then anet: be my guest and make such a great team and great game as Anet team did and make your own game very fast.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: DevonPaul.7495

DevonPaul.7495

wintersday is coming and as seen on their event notification page it looks like something will happen in januari aswell. just wat and see what they got for us. Anet does listen it just takes time for them to “fix” things.

for anybody else complaining: i do realize it is no fun and do realize it will “drive” a certain amount of people away (good ridance if you ask me) but if any of you people can do it beter then anet: be my guest and make such a great team and great game as Anet team did and make your own game very fast.

I agree with you, but the problem is, there is SO MUCH to fix, and each bug, each disappointed customer, is a leaving customer. I support your right to defend a company, I really do. But supporting broken class systems, dungeon systems, loot mechanics etc. etc. Is foolhardy, other people did that with other AAA MMOs and well, they aren’t doing great at the moment………

Damaging your own game

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Yea, right.

“Wait and see” helped a lot when it was preached to the outraged masses when Ascended was announced. “Just wait and see, you havn’t seen it yet, you don’t know how exactly it’ll be implemented…”

And about the time it takes them to fix core elements like dungeons months into the game: Many of the dungeons don’t work properly. I honestly though that SW:TOR was killed by the horrible, horrible patching. GW2 is worse.

I need not be able to build a sportscar in order to relize that the one I bought runs on 3 of its 8 cylinders only and ruining suspension so that going 30 feels like going 100 is not a valid replacement for actual speed. I need not even be able to remove the dead fish from the car’s AC in order to tell that it causes a stink.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Hopefully, the devs are taking a hard look at their game and trying to restore its luster. The open world is still gorgeous, the art is fantastic, a ton of work went into the DE’s, the zones and many other things in the game. The game is flat out fun to play. Hopefully, they will get back in touch with their vision for the entire game being fun, and fix the issues that make that not so for many of their customers. I don’t know what happened to their priorities, but I would like them to read their own pre-launch blogs, recapture their intent for “the whole game is endgame” and in the spirit of Jean Luc, “Make it so.”

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

I sadly agree, I log only for the daily at the moment. Hope this is not going to take long for them to fix this mess up.

The Iron Butterfly

Damaging your own game

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

The open world is still gorgeous, the art is fantastic, a ton of work went into the DE’s, the zones and many other things in the game. The game is flat out fun to play.

I fully agree.

Please, PLEASE make visiting low level areas attractive to high level players. Have DEs drop for their level. Have mobs drop for their level. Tune downscaling so that it’s not “easy farming” but challenging when you go there.

The world is great but currently, we’re discouraged from going there. Even levelling alts there is discouraged since the new dungeon favours playing one character only.

Sad, really.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Fenrir.4915

Fenrir.4915

Actually, there are a few more reasons…

- Game was pitfully programmed and made for intel cpus, what causes;

- Game crashes that Anet has not fixed yet;
– Fps drops without a reason that Anet has not fixed yet;
– High end cpus running with low fps, that Anet has not fixed yet;

– Game is CPU bound, not gpu bound.

Really, looks like an amateur game.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Snores.7806

Snores.7806

Well said Sir.

The game game was a kitten sight better at release.

Now it’s just a crippled shell of it’s former potential..

Unfortunately the powers that be chose to monetize their product rather then improve it. F2P in 6 months. You heard it here first !

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Actually, there are a few more reasons…

- Game was pitfully programmed and made for intel cpus, what causes;

- Game crashes that Anet has not fixed yet;
– Fps drops without a reason that Anet has not fixed yet;
– High end cpus running with low fps, that Anet has not fixed yet;

– Game is CPU bound, not gpu bound.

Really, looks like an amateur game.

My thoughts exactly. All other games I play run maxed out but in GW2 I find myself having to turn off shadows etc. Even if I check out system performance while the game is running my comp. is like “Oh you’re playing a game, thought you were installing Steam?”. I don’t think the game is fully utilising my computer.

Poor engine or optimisation, who knows?

(edited by Paul.4081)

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

And this is exactly why developers dont talk about every single step they make! Players just make it impossible!

So one time during the beta they share some technical details with the players, specifically saying the game was still CPU bound and they still had to work on that.

Naturally some players decided to take it as a permanent state of affars that never got fixed!

I bet that the game stopped being CPU bound by beta 2 when some graphical glitches started appearing such as textures disappearing and personally my frame rate doubled since that beta!

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

And this is exactly why developers dont talk about every single step they make! Players just make it impossible!

So one time during the beta they share some technical details with the players, specifically saying the game was still CPU bound and they still had to work on that.

Naturally some players decided to take it as a permanent state of affars that never got fixed!

I bet that the game stopped being CPU bound by beta 2 when some graphical glitches started appearing such as textures disappearing and personally my frame rate doubled since that beta!

Placebo

The Iron Butterfly

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

You’re confusing a flaw in the game engine with purposeful nerfs and admitted mistakes.

Bugs are one thing they are like the little dutch boy and the leaking pike, plug one hole and it opens 2 more so I can understand that but to purposely nudge or herd players to play a certain way to me is not understandable nor acceptable.

Damaging your own game

Galen Grey.4709

Placebo

its not placebo at all, go check my youtube channel. In the first videos people were asking me if I was playing a powerpoint presentation! Besides I can even quantify it for you, before bwe2 I had a frame rate in the range of 15 – 18 fps now I have a frame rate between 28 – 35 fps

But anyhow, dont take my word for it, just open up your task manager and see if the client is taking up all your CPU cycles, it isnt!

Damaging your own game

Galen Grey.4709

You’re confusing a flaw in the game engine with purposeful nerfs and admitted mistakes.

Bugs are one thing they are like the little dutch boy and the leaking pike, plug one hole and it opens 2 more so I can understand that but to purposely nudge or herd players to play a certain way to me is not understandable nor acceptable.

Sorry I cant understand what you’re trying to say. Can you rephrase it a bit please?

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

On the games bugs created from the patch. This happens in every online game.

The patch fixes one problem but creates anther problem. Then the patch is patched until it fixed.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Bug Fixes – Cause more bugs
Loot Drops – Nerfed to the point of “Why bother”
New area – Opened nearly a month ago – Still virtually dead
Diminishing returns – Judging by the forums 80% of the playing population disgusted
Gem Store – Nothing worth buying really (1 Skin for each armour type!)
WvWvW – Tumbleweed time
Dungeons – Broken mechanics
Ascended Items – Disliked by some, reading through the forums, major source of “I quit”

1. Do you know how hard it is to bug fix such a huge game? They’re doing their best. They broke jumping, yes, but they fixed that in hours. I’ve seen my story getting fixed, the cattlepult getting fixed, numerous events in the world getting fixed. They’re working hard and I can see that they’re not being lazy because they are fixing it! How long have druids been broken if WoW? I give you a hint – they’re not fixed yet.
2. Loot drops – my level 35 now is getting better loot drops than I did on my now level 80s a month ago. My level 80s are getting good loot drops. For the first time I’m getting yellows from mobs. Before the so called loot nerf it never happened to me. If nobody mentioned nerfed loot I would honestly have missed it.
3. Some people go and kill karka there. It also has a good jumping puzzle. Most level 80s instead of farming one or two areas are spread out all over the place. Example – I like running AC. Some other people love doing fractals. Some others are WvW’ing. Others are PvP’ing. Others are leveling alts, doing jumping puzzles, just socializing.
4. How to avoid DR – once every hour change the location of where you’re killing mobs. There. Done. Now what’s the big deal here?
5. It’s good that there’s nothing worth buying in the gem store! Have you seen how many kiddies are crying – this is pay to win? The gem store was intended for skins and little tinny stuff that you don’t really need. It’s optional. It’s just cosmetics.
6. Can’t comment on WvW
7. What’s broken in the dungeons besides some bugs? Shouldn’t that go with bugs? They’re trying to fix that after all.
8. Major source of I quit of about 5% of population. Remember that not all people are on the forums and for majority it did not change their gaming experience at all. Especially having in mind how much overreaction there is here. You can overreact when it goes everywhere (crafting, event drops, chest drops) and is as hard to craft as a legendary. Then you can overreact. Now that you don’t know how hard or easy it will be to get it, why to be overreacting over a few rings that some fractal runners have?

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Hopefully, the devs are taking a hard look at their game and trying to restore its luster. The open world is still gorgeous, the art is fantastic, a ton of work went into the DE’s, the zones and many other things in the game. The game is flat out fun to play. Hopefully, they will get back in touch with their vision for the entire game being fun, and fix the issues that make that not so for many of their customers. I don’t know what happened to their priorities, but I would like them to read their own pre-launch blogs, recapture their intent for “the whole game is endgame” and in the spirit of Jean Luc, “Make it so.”

Well said. I still have hope for GW2 as they got so much right. Lost Shores seems more like lost souls to me. If they can recapture their vision, GW2 will be a great game.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

its not placebo at all, go check my youtube channel. In the first videos people were asking me if I was playing a powerpoint presentation! Besides I can even quantify it for you, before bwe2 I had a frame rate in the range of 15 – 18 fps now I have a frame rate between 28 – 35 fps

But anyhow, dont take my word for it, just open up your task manager and see if the client is taking up all your CPU cycles, it isnt!

The game has improved performance wise, but it is still heavily CPU bound and demanding for a mmo. The last part, you don’t seem to understand how cores/threads work and how they display in something like the performance tab in Task Manger or other monitor. The CPU’s are being 100% utilized. Do a search here, there are good lengthy explanations.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

1. Do you know how hard it is to bug fix such a huge game? They’re doing their best.

Right a BWE1 happened I was thinking a Spring 2013 release date. Now I’m thinking a Spring 2014 release date. You are right they are hard to fix, they are doing their best. The game has been sold to the public. It’s a tough position. But if one grows bored and moves away… that is not good at all for the franchise, that is the cost of too early a release. Now perhaps everything is going great monetarily for them, I hope so, but if it isn’t that good, it’s explainable as to why.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

8. Major source of I quit of about 5% of population. Remember that not all people are on the forums and for majority it did not change their gaming experience at all. Especially having in mind how much overreaction there is here. You can overreact when it goes everywhere (crafting, event drops, chest drops) and is as hard to craft as a legendary. Then you can overreact. Now that you don’t know how hard or easy it will be to get it, why to be overreacting over a few rings that some fractal runners have?

I love when people post this nonsense. Go back and tell that to Warhammer, AoC, SW:TOR just to name a few. In each and every account, you will find some fool saying the same nonsense. Everything is fine, it’s just the small forum population….yeah…

If you honestly think the forums aren’t a decent representation you are foolish. The forums are the people who care and take the time to post about it. The others just quietly walk away.

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I love when people post this nonsense. Go back and tell that to Warhammer, AoC, SW:TOR just to name a few. In each and every account, you will find some fool saying the same nonsense. Everything is fine, it’s just the small forum population….yeah…

If you honestly think the forums aren’t a decent representation you are foolish. The forums are the people who care and take the time to post about it. The others just quietly walk away.

The how do you explain the forums of the games that are thriving? How many false deaths WoW has had in the forums now you think? Every new expansion forums are filled with “this ruined the experience, the game is dying, I’m leaving”. The problem with the statements and overreactions is that they’re both in the forums of games that are dying and on the forums of games that are not dying. I honestly wish to be able to see the number of people on the forums. I still don’t believe that it’s 6 million and I also don’t believe that the game is dying, because when I play on Underworld server I’m seeing people everywhere. Shouldn’t we be seeing servers merging and wast population disappearance in all servers if the game was dying? Shouldn’t I never hit overflow if there was no players? Shouldn’t I see no players at nighttime in the major cities saying “good morning” on the map chat?

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

It’s not like migratory actions don’t occur when servers begin to dry up of activity, people seem to assume that the FIRST reaction to a lack of players is to complain on the forum and do nothing about it… whilst I can’t say for definite if there isn’t a good chunk of players who would do just that, you have to admit many would just up and server jump to a higher activity server.

And honestly? there’s always doom and gloom on most games forums, that doesn’t mean you should just dismiss it as complete nonsense, there are valid reasons for discontent and just as much as invalid ones and there is a LOT of thin, whimsical comments in the positive for this game, which doesn’t exactly help out much.

Whenever I read a vague, almost christmas supermarket esque post about how much of a “stocking filler GW2 will be” I’m filled with a strange nausea in the pit of my stomach, and tend to immediately want to side with anyone offering up rational and well thought out reasons why this game is letting them down in their opinion.

And whilst I don’t want to get into more inane arguments, server merges… are not something you see a lot of in general even on games that are circling the drain.

Irony…. xD

Damaging your own game

Galen Grey.4709

The game has improved performance wise, but it is still heavily CPU bound and demanding for a mmo. The last part, you don’t seem to understand how cores/threads work and how they display in something like the performance tab in Task Manger or other monitor. The CPU’s are being 100% utilized. Do a search here, there are good lengthy explanations.

Ohh I understand just fine how they work, I’ve been working in the field since day one! I will double check this evening just to be sure but pretty sure I never saw any of my cores (including hyperthreading) utilized 100% ! if thats happening for you it could also be that gw2 is too heavy for your CPU. Its obviously impossible to remove offload everything off the CPU! AI, game engine and quite possibly physics (its possible to offload physics to GPU but thats dependand on whether GW2 actually does it an which standard they support if they do) ! in some cases even sound might be CPU bound in a way! (most onboard soundcards virtualize a lot of hardware) a high CPU usage doesnt necessarily mean a lot of the graphics engine is still running on the CPU, its definitely not the case since I can hear the GPU fan working pretty hard while playing GW2!

Damaging your own game

Galen Grey.4709

you know it works the opposite way as well! a quick look on the WoW official forum shows plenty of complains there too! infact right now this second the top post is my server is dead, I quit! on the first page there are posts insulting the developers, multiple posts angry at nerfs, someone complaining that the last expansion doesnt live up to the games vision. Someone complaining against dailies. someone claiming false advertisment because the advert said the last expansion was the best when he says it was in fact the worst. And someone who says he wants the spark back.

So does that mean that WoW is dieing because it has some complaints?

Not saying feed back by forum users should be ignored. obviously no feedback should ever be ignored But you shouldnt considered feedback on the forum as a universal view of players in the game. simply speaking its a biased sample! before this whole ascended gear story if you looked at the forum it was still full of complains about nothing to do at endgame instead of what it is now! You dont see those sample people praising the game now they got some content to play now do you ? why because like others pointed out in most cases people post to complain and nothing else! ergo its obvious you’ll always have more complaint than praises!

Damaging your own game

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Its getting rather hard to solo. Its like the game is trying to push some of us out for not being part of some big organization. Whats odd is the more we complain about it the worse it seems to get. Its like the game is on steroids sometimes and I have to wonder if somebody is actually trying to push people out of the game. I went back to a newbie zone to get a SP that was camped a week ago by a champ, its still there. but not enough players are there to care to do anything about it.

I was in the pre order beta, it was not like this back then.

Damaging your own game

Galen Grey.4709

Its getting rather hard to solo. Its like the game is trying to push some of us out for not being part of some big organization. Whats odd is the more we complain about it the worse it seems to get. Its like the game is on steroids sometimes and I have to wonder if somebody is actually trying to push people out of the game. I went back to a newbie zone to get a SP that was camped a week ago by a champ, its still there. but not enough players are there to care to do anything about it.

I was in the pre order beta, it was not like this back then.

Well to be fair champions were never meant to be soloable, they’re group events and group events are intended to be tackled with a group! that being said I find it odd that a champion is guarding a skill point. Generally its just veterans that can definitely be soloed!

Anyhow specifically to your problem, try asking for help in map chat!