Day/Night Cycle Icon PLZ!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

This would help so much for fractals or world events where for those who have 2 weapon sets can push out another 5% this would be an amazing addition to the game and a QoL update I have been wanting since forever.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You could use weapons skinned with the Ascalonian Catacombs weapons if you want to know when to use the 5% damage boost. Those glow at night.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Just play a Sylvari and you’ll never have to wonder if it’s night time or not again.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

in open world events you could take a few moments to look at the sky, or bookmark this page and look just before it starts
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#Schedule

for fractals/dungeons/etc, you could print out this list that tells you if the place is day or night
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#List_of_zones_not_on_cycle

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Aeon.4127

You could use weapons skinned with the Ascalonian Catacombs weapons if you want to know when to use the 5% damage boost. Those glow at night.

I do, but it’s something I wish was implemented in the game is all. Thanks for the tip though, in case someone reads this he’s 100% correct on the matter.

Just play a Sylvari and you’ll never have to wonder if it’s night time or not again.

This was both funny when I read it and intriguing as I never thought about this before honestly, nevertheless something I hope isn’t considered a “fix”.

in open world events you could take a few moments to look at the sky, or bookmark this page and look just before it starts
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#Schedule

for fractals/dungeons/etc, you could print out this list that tells you if the place is day or night
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#List_of_zones_not_on_cycle

Yea, I know of all these methods. Something I wish was implemented in-game that would give it a nice QoL, and for once I do not doubt that at night you would see a whole bunch of people looking up and checking out the sky in awe.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

A little Sylvari mini pet with a glowing skin in the night.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Nagiil.1230

Nagiil.1230

Or just make the night a little bit darker

… a suggestion I made about 2 years ago…

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Night time pretty much always happens when Behemoth is due. And ends after I think the Frozen Shaman.

That said, I’d like to see darker nights to be honest.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I think night time, is currently dark enough for my monitor. I don’t want to have to mess with the game graphics, whenever night time occurs to see better xD.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

A little Sylvari mini pet with a glowing skin in the night.

Or use the Halloween mini-pets that glow-in-the-dark.

Good luck.

Aeon.4127

I like that some of you guys have ideas that are implemented in the game via mini pets or sylvari, thats cool and all, but I think the game would be better off simply having a day night icon tucked somewhere near maybe the options on the top left or on the top right. Also I am not implying that it would be better if we make the nights darker (though personally I would love that) or brighter, 1 Icon for day/night that is all.

Lastly everyone’s opinion is fine, just wanted to make clear that thats not what im suggesting. And an Icon for night/day would be a great addition to an already great game.

(edited by Aeon.4127)

Just a flesh wound.3589

So far the only reason you’ve given for this request is for those niche players that want to get the 5% extra force depending on the day/night cycle. Since there are already ingame methods to easily determine that time of day, ANet probably won’t feel the need to add another method just for these players. However maybe they’ll decide to offer an icon for these niche players who don’t want to use the already existing methods, so good luck with your request.

ANet may give it to you.

Aeon.4127

So far the only reason you’ve given for this request is for those niche players that want to get the 5% extra force depending on the day/night cycle. Since there are already ingame methods to easily determine that time of day, ANet probably won’t feel the need to add another method just for these players. However maybe they’ll decide to offer an icon for these niche players who don’t want to use the already existing methods, so good luck with your request.

Yea, it just seems like its something that can be easily implemented, then again im not a programmer. The 5% is in the game, but I genuinely would like to know when its night/day regardless of any % dmg bonuses. Thanks I dont think I will get an answer for this, but one can hope.

Also existing methods are pretty awful.

(edited by Aeon.4127)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yea, it just seems like its something that can be easily implemented, then again im programmer. The 5% is in the game, but I genuinely would like to know when its night/day regardless of any % dmg bonuses. Thanks I dont think I will get an answer for this, but one can hope.

Also existing methods are pretty awful.

No doubt it can be easily implemented. There are a lot of things that could be easily implemented. However each of these things would require a dev to stop what they are already working on and do these other things instead. Since there is only so many dev hours in each day they have to decide what things they do which will give them the most bang for their buck and not base their decisions on how long each individual project would take. I’m sure if they decide that this would make a meaningful impact to enough players that they would slot this in with the other things they are working on.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

So far the only reason you’ve given for this request is for those niche players that want to get the 5% extra force depending on the day/night cycle.

I can add another: some of the Legendary weapon collections ask you to do things in places at a certain time of day.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chase_the_Spirit_the_Settlement is one example that comes to mind, but there were a few in the tier 1 collections as well. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between dawn/dusk/night so a solid indicator would be handy, although for now I just use GW TacO which I like as an overlay for numerous things (map/boss timers, guild bounty routes, and Sab cannon markers to name but a few).

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Ok, for those suggesting Sylvari and Ascalonian weapons: Which one of these shows correctly whether it’s night or not? Becuase sometimes my Sylvari glows while the Ascalonian weapon is in day mode, which is quite confusing.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

So far the only reason you’ve given for this request is for those niche players that want to get the 5% extra force depending on the day/night cycle.

“When is night?” – casual player in VB. If they continue to make content like that where it’s synced to the time of day, they should have an in-game clock. For now however, this could be done quite easily through an overlay.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok, for those suggesting Sylvari and Ascalonian weapons: Which one of these shows correctly whether it’s night or not? Becuase sometimes my Sylvari glows while the Ascalonian weapon is in day mode, which is quite confusing.

Probably the Sylvari, for 2 reasons

1) “Bugs: In some zones, the weapon appearances will not automatically change state when day changes to night or vice versa. Reentering the zone will cause the weapon to display the correct state."
2) it’s possible that the Sylvari glow may be set to appear before the weapon glow appears. So if you see your Sylvari glowing then go with that.
“Sylvari will glow when in the night state. This glow appears gradually during dusk, and disappears gradually during dawn."

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I wouldn’t mind a darker night cycle, though perhaps not to the degree of say, Dragon’s Dogma or Dark Souls where a source of light is pretty much mandatory (though I wouldn’t object to it if that was a gimmick of a future expansion. Belt lanterns anyone?).

As it is currently, I usually never even notice if it’s nighttime unless I’m playing a sylvari or I glance up at the sky.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Agreed. If we need an icon to know whether it’s night, it’s not night enough.

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

I love how people seems to “help” you saying you have to use weapons/race that you probably don’t want to use.
It’s like : “Just play like this, your idea is bad since there are already some awful features in game you can use to know what you want. Your idea will never happen anyway.”

Okay, but you know if I just want to play a char and use another weapon, I’ll probably just don’t care?

I personally think the day/night icon cycle is a good idea. Can be implemented around the mini map like FFXIV for example.
Since some mechanics are day/night cycle related, it would be a nice QoL addition like you said. And with such feature, the game can have more things related to it and can consider it as a game mechanic that can handle new events.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I could get behind a way to tell by some icon or whatever on Mini-Map if it was day or Night.

Works for me! Make it happen Anet!

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i reckon it would be a cool thing to have, maybe just a little circle somewhere on the ui with half of it repping daytime, the other half repping nighttime and it just rotates as in game time goes by.

Also plus 1(to the power of infinity) to the idea of making nighttime darker because as is if you are not looking out for it there is very little to make you notice it is actually nighttime unless you are in verdant brink where the whole map revolves around it

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: kfc.8170

kfc.8170

This would be a pretty sweet addon, cant see how it wouldn’t be useful regardless if you’re doing it for the 5% dmg bonus, but also to get an idea when VB meta is happening as 1 of many examples where this can be used for keeping up with the games events/mechanics.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

That would be nice. It could be right next to the mini-map, or in the top right-hand corner. I personally think it woudl be good because, honestly, there are times in-game when it is considered “day” or “night” but the sky doesn’t show it accurately. I honestly have never noticed a single sunrise or sunset, either, which is off-putting from the POV of someone who likes to look around the environment. Perhaps the sunsets and sunrises are just not dynamic enough. Hell, even the Legend of Zelda games, as far back as Ocarina of Time, had really nicely rendered sunsets/rises, and was always fun to track the sun moving through the sky. This is just personal taste.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

While I love the idea of maybe a Rotating Sun/Moon icon, so we can see where we are along in the day/night schedule, they could also change the way Night/Day Appears.

I don’t want to say make things “Darker” but what if they have everything a very heavy Purple/Blueish haze/shade to it for night time, as opposed to trying to use a dark/light effect.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I would actually like a little icon that would change depending on what time it is.
Nothing too fancy, just a little indicator.
Maybe with a checkbox in the options menu.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I think a minimap widget would probably be easier than making night darker.

That said, I personally can’t tell if it is night or not by looking at the sky. I’ve been failing to get a collection item that requires it to be night, and I can’t tell if I’m doing it in the wrong place or if it’s just not night — it’s overcast and grey, does that make it night?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This would help so much for fractals or world events where for those who have 2 weapon sets can push out another 5% this would be an amazing addition to the game and a QoL update I have been wanting since forever.

This would not “help so much” — it would be of minor value in “fractals or world events.”

• As mentioned above, each fractal takes place in 100% day or 100% night; there’s no variability at all.
  • Open world day/night happens at the same time for everyone(s) on every map, every day. There are all sorts of ways to ‘see’ that it’s night in-game and plenty of tools outside the game (including the wiki).
  • The only people that are going to take advantage of this can afford a duplicate weapon for each commonly-used set.

I’m not against some sort of UI change to make night more obvious (darker ambiance, icon, change to the mini map, etc). However, let’s remember that the benefits of such a change are almost entirely cosmetic, not practical.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”