Dead Content

Dead Content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Hi, I have found GuildWars 2 to be quite the fun adventure so far. Though like all of us I have a few gripes with it. One of the major gripes is dead content.

As anyone is aware that once you reach level 80 there is NO reason other then to finish hearts to do pre-level 80 events. The fact is rewards are not worth it. The only reason people are even doing level 80 events in Orr is to farm, because events there give the best loot and make the best and effective use of your time. About 80% of the content is basically dead once the heart in the area is done.

What can be done?

Ditribute loot according to level!! Make it so that if I’m level 80 in a level 5 area and I happen to kill somthing I get level 80 loot! This loot includes the T5 mats everyone is farming. This is so simple and it encourages us, the players to use ALL of the content instead of only a PORTION of it.

Will grinding still happen?
Yes it will, but it won’t be as painful as before and what I’m suggesting is easily implemented.

So what do you all think?

Dead Content

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

I don’t know what you’re talking about or rather you do not play the game at all. We are in fact getting level 80 loot when we kill mobs in a level 1-15 zone.

Dead Content

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

I don’t see higher level tier nodes, plants or trees coming to lower level zones. If you needed lower level tier materials, where would you get them? They already said they are going to increase the chance of loot in lower level areas to scale up to your level.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Dead Content

Revolution.6301

I don’t see higher level tier nodes, plants or trees coming to lower level zones. If you needed lower level tier materials, where would you get them? They already said they are going to increase the chance of loot in lower level areas to scale up to your level.

Your missing my main point. That as of right now Tunnel farming is the best way to farm. There is no reason to go to level 30 and do any event there because you won’t make as much money farming there as you would in the level 80 area. I’m just suggesting equalizing the loot is all.

Dead Content

Posted by: Energumenus.5319

Energumenus.5319

Wouldn’t work. People would still flock to the areas where its most efficient. The reason you listed isn’t the only reason people farm orr. Its also because the tunnel events spawn very frequently and are very close and also provide a high density of mobs because most people are there. Making mobs in a level 15 zone drop level 80 loot won’t make people come to that zone and do random DE’s either by themselves or with maybe 1 other person because the rewards would be extremely lacking compared to doing a DE in orr with 20+ other people. To be honest I’m quite interested in how they are going to go about “strengthening” the world because to me it seems like an impossible task.

Dead Content

domxnik.1453

Your missing my main point. That as of right now Tunnel farming is the best way to farm. There is no reason to go to level 30 and do any event there because you won’t make as much money farming there as you would in the level 80 area. I’m just suggesting equalizing the loot is all.

So give the same amount of experience, karma, and silver from completing an event in a lower level zone as you would in a higher level zone? I can agree with you on that. I just don’t think higher level farming nodes will come to lower level zones.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Dead Content

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

What happened to playing the game for fun rather than farming for gold?

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Dead Content

domxnik.1453

Sadly, that’s how this game works, and it’s mainly because of legendary weapons and the precursor. Give thanks to ArenaNet.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Dead Content

Revolution.6301

So give the same amount of experience, karma, and silver from completing an event in a lower level zone as you would in a higher level zone? I can agree with you on that. I just don’t think higher level farming nodes will come to lower level zones.

Not nodes!! No! NO! NO!

Plus thats not how most of us make our money, its by farming T5 mats. So then make a scenerio like the tunnel that make it make more sense to go to the level 50 area, or the same amount of sense.

Dead Content

Revolution.6301

Sadly, that’s how this game works, and it’s mainly because of legendary weapons and the precursor. Give thanks to ArenaNet.

yep, thats why you see so much dead content.
I’m just trying to throw out ideas how to fix dead content since even though I want to go there, there is just NO incentive to do so.

Dead Content

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

As someone with 4 lvl 80s and lazy to lvl anything else…but considering so i can have fun with a warrior

I would go to low level areas if it was like this:

- Drops and materials according to the area level, i see no point in getting lvl 80 stuff in a lvl 10 area, even if iam lvl 80 in that case i would stay in orr or in the snowpeak map where the dragon appear, the only thing which i would consider it logical to get items of your lvl, would be the big chests.
*why? because in this case you will have the low level areas to farm low level materials and stuff like that, and high level areas for high level materials. This is the main reason why high level people never used to go back to low level areas in other mmos…drops were none…you even were punished for going back.

-Exp, karma and gold rewards from Events according to your real level, not the scaled level, as well when someone jumps with lvl 1 to wvw, he gets his real level event rewards even if its scaled to a lvl 80 guy.
*why? Because it would give me a reason as a high level guy to go back to those areas if iam going to get these important rewards from events, so i will leave orr once in a while and be running around in lvl 10 map. This is one of the reason why currently lvl 80 people dont even look back to those maps anymore.

-

I took an arrow to the knee

Dead Content

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

I haven’t seen a level 80 rare item drop in Orr for ages. But I do my dailies in Wayfarer Foothills (1-15), it takes me ten to fifteen minutes and I always get a couple of level 80 rares, on one occasion doing the grawl cave event I got three.

I’m genuinely surprised people don’t know that low level areas drop level appropriate loot…

Dead Content

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

I haven’t seen a level 80 rare item drop in Orr for ages. But I do my dailies in Wayfarer Foothills (1-15), it takes me ten to fifteen minutes and I always get a couple of level 80 rares, on one occasion doing the grawl cave event I got three.

I’m genuinely surprised people don’t know that low level areas drop level appropriate loot…

That’s what I was trying to say. Seems like OP didn’t played GW2 well enough.

Dead Content

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

I agree with OP, I’m tired from grinding Orr and Frostgorge Sound for materials for past 3 months. Every day it’s the same, and I think since nodes and loot are instanced to your character, you should be able to farm these materials from any zone. As lvl 80, I’m limited to two zones in the game if I want to craft some gear, and that’s really not fun.

Only problem with this is that if you want to get low-level materials or items for some reason, for example, you have one crafting skill at 400 and other at 200, so you need both kind of materials.

This could be solved by choosing what kind of loot you need from Hero panel (for your level, equal to the level of your crafting skill, or equal to the current zone).

Dead Content

Posted by: SemmlerTh.2685

SemmlerTh.2685

I am actually very glad, that I get mixed loot, between the area level and my level, because I need some of those low level crafting materials.^^

Dead Content

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I am actually very glad, that I get mixed loot, between the area level and my level, because I need some of those low level crafting materials.^^

BTW
Is there any other use for low level crafting materials other than leveling alternative Crafting diciplines?
I was thinking that there might exist some super material that get created only by combining lower ones, but I haven’t come across any yet.

…and don’t be toxic!

Dead Content

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

If I have to believe the forums, people aren’t farming in Orr anymore, so this is a bit of a surprise.

But let’s be honest, with the introduction of FotM, farming is done there and no longer in leveling zones, except for some materials I guess.

The world has too many zones as it is, making the leveling feel longer and because areas are completed to quickly by themselves, you don’t spend enough time in each zone.

The truth is that you do get level 80 loot when downleveled but the events give less karma and gold than the level 80 ones. So there is a difference. So I guess people still farm some karma but with the daily/monthly you get a lot of karma anyways.

I can’t speak of the current situation as I stopped playing but you will know better whether people spend most of their time on FotM now and not so much in zones or other dungeons.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Dead Content

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

If I have to believe the forums, people aren’t farming in Orr anymore, so this is a bit of a surprise.

But let’s be honest, with the introduction of FotM, farming is done there and no longer in leveling zones, except for some materials I guess.

The world has too many zones as it is, making the leveling feel longer and because areas are completed to quickly by themselves, you don’t spend enough time in each zone.

The truth is that you do get level 80 loot when downleveled but the events give less karma and gold than the level 80 ones. So there is a difference. So I guess people still farm some karma but with the daily/monthly you get a lot of karma anyways.

I can’t speak of the current situation as I stopped playing but you will know better whether people spend most of their time on FotM now and not so much in zones or other dungeons.

The main farming method is doing your daylly achivements (lots of XP, one mystic coin, Lots of Karma and rarelly a gem-store item), and those require 20 gatherings, 60 kills, 15 variety, and 5 events. Each fractal counts as one event, it’s rarelly enough to fill the variety, and got no gathering. You need 7 fractals for the monthly, that get covered in about 2 runs (much better than the 5 runs needed for the old normal dungeon monthly).

…and don’t be toxic!

Dead Content

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Repeating events is really not that fun.

(edited by Kromica.2831)

Dead Content

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Repeating events is really not that fun.

Meh, totally subjective. Also, the game isn’t all events.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Dead Content

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Went out of the window when things started to cost full stacks of ecto/t6 mats.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Dead Content

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I don’t think the problem is loot. Do you really play a game for the loot? I mean, chess has no loot, unless you kill the enemy after you win and steal his wallet and iPod? I woud say the vast majority of players don’t care about loot, they just care about playing. So maybe ANet should give the question a look from that angle.

Dead Content

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

One issue I can spot is that unlike Gw2, story missions aren’t repeatable. I could go back and do Borlis Pass or Divinity Coast, or whatever. My friends and I did it all the time, just for the kick of it. Could also help newer players and make friends, because we often had an empty spot or two in the party

With story missions not being repeatable, you just don’t have that “hey, maybe I should go back and repeat this fun mission!”. Since we have an open world now, going back for story missions would likely mean that players would stick around for a bit and do a couple of events here and there.

Though actually, to be completely honest, gw2 story missions are so awfully boring I doubt anyone would want to go back and repeat them

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)