Dealing with shady players in fractals?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

So, I just came from a fractal where things were going a little rough. Now knowing how PuG groups can be, I just accepted that my guildies and I were going to have to work a little harder to make up for these guys.

We get to the end of the final fractal level ((Maw)) and one of the players start yelling at my guildie about dodging backwards to avoid maw’s attack instead of grabbing a crystal. My guildie, admittedly being teasing the other player a bit dodges the next attack with mist form which isn’t really a problem to because he isn’t dying and is doing damage to other things. In an act of rage this play requests a kick and his other warrior friend seconds it. Just like that one of my guilies who has been working extra hard to support one of these players is now out of his chest and daily.

Do you believe this is fair? I had to say that in the moment I wasn’t sure what to do. I knew that my guildie was already out but I couldn’t let these two characters get away with depriving him of something just because they didn’t like his actions. They in no way justified a kicking. With that in mind I felt that they too should be kicked. It wasn’t something I wanted to do but an eye for an eye seemed to be the only way to make the crimes fit. Afterwards I blocked and reported them both to make sure they wouldn’t be group with me again.

I’m here on the forum to ask if my actions were wrong? Were they right? What would have all of you done in that sort of situation?

I also want to know why the kick system only requires 2 votes. Shouldn’t it be at least 3 so the majority of the group can at least decide?

Please tell me what you guys think, and be as blunt as possible.

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

The kick system is atrocious, I agree; requiring only 2 votes to kick someone is just wrong. It’s not even 51% of the attending players in any group setting, and then cases like this happen where one raging person has his buddy back him on a completely out-of-line kick.

Your actions were just, IMO. I would have immediately kicked him and his buddy from my group; I know it sucks making it that far (and one day they will actually fix Fracs to allow re-joining, so they say) and have that happen. All you can do is kick back.

He probably raged even more after you kicked him. His fault for not realizing there were 3 guildies in the group, though (and funnily enough, it only takes 2!).

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I think your actions were completely justified – if you are telling the entire truth in an unbiased way. Not that we have any reason to doubt you.

And yes, the kick system should require at least 3 people.

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

I wish I were making it up. These people were very anxious from the very beginning and caused problems. Like I said my guildie was not being a perfect angel to them but that is only because he is a lv28 fractal player and they were telling him how to play maw. The part that worried me before was that before we went into battle one said that they could 2 man maw if they had to ((Other guildie had to take a bio break before and the didn’t feel like waiting)) Once I had the attention and support of my guildie I kicked them.

Has there been any mention of the kicking system in the past? Or about possible changes to make it more fair?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Had an unpleasant experience myself. At level 4 I was running with a group of 5 to level up. When we reached the Maw level 2 people started talking something in Norwegian. After the last fight they kicked the remaining 3 people just so we couldn’t get the chest and a fractal level up. I do agree the kick system is ridiculous.
Ways to avoid it – search for friendly groups. Even state so when LFGing. Add all people that you haven’t ran with before to your friends list, delete them after the run if it goes well, report them if they do something so douchy again.

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Ways to avoid it – search for friendly groups. Even state so when LFGing. Add all people that you haven’t ran with before to your friends list, delete them after the run if it goes well, report them if they do something so douchy again.

This is actually good advice and something I occasionally do when I think someone is going to flake.

Though it wouldn’t really be necessary (in most cases) if the kicking system was actually fair to begin with and required at least >=51% of the attending players to choose ‘KICK’ to actually get rid of someone from the party. You know, like every other game ever released since the beginning of time, requires.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Report them – Anet bans for that kind of stuff

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I was thinking this, just the other day – What kind of system requires 2 of 5 votes???
3 of 5 would seem logical, and avoid a lot of things like this. If I were you I would whisper the last player if you could kick the 2 idiots, having him as second, or simply (If you are leader) shut down the entire fractal run. I wouldn’t hold it against you to complete it with them either – You reported as deserved. And I’m sorry you had to run into people like that.

But really. I don’t get how 2 vote kick hasn’t been changed to 3/5 yet.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

See? this is what I’ve been talking about.
While I do agree that this is a foul way to treat people and that 3+ votes should be needed to kick someone, please remember that this is just a game!
Don’t get too wrapped up in this that you forget to have fun.

P.S.
And watch out for the scumbags.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: Azuriel.9137

Azuriel.9137

Good to see people have our backs in this. I was apart of this group(one of the guildies). Granted, I was having an off day, I never die like I did with these two kids. One kept rushing in while we were waiting for people to catch up from falling on jumping parts. A couple times I was forced to “help” him and ended up downed an necessary amount of times.

Aside from that, though, when they decided to kick our friend for having fun, they didn’t bother whispering Storm(OP) or myself( probably knowing full well we wouldn’t boot our own guildie.)

It really is a broke system for kicking people.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So your guildy intentionally teased/insulted another player and was not capable of completing the required mechanics for the fight. Seems like these players did the right thing and kicked him.

Then you proceeded to kick them for no other reason then spite. You are in fact the one that should be reported and banned.

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

So your guildy intentionally teased/insulted another player and was not capable of completing the required mechanics for the fight. Seems like these players did the right thing and kicked him.

Then you proceeded to kick them for no other reason then spite. You are in fact the one that should be reported and banned.

Spite? Sorry but kicking someone because of such a minor argument on the last stage of fotm is being spiteful. What’s the point of that? The repercussions were justified IMO.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

If you cant take a joke, I surely wouldn’t want to play with you good sir. He was clearly capable. Maw isn’t a hard boss, so there is plenty of room to joke a bit here, more than any other fractal. Take the stick out your bum and appreciate when people actually try and make the game a bit more fun, as long as they are not endangering the entire run.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

The game is completely designed around running and re-running Fractals, and the PUGs in there are a total crap-shoot. But this is the game they want everyone to play – dungeon grind. -

Posted by: Cael.3960

Cael.3960

Had the same experience from a dungeon run a few days back. Offered a suggestion on a boss fight to help make it a little easier when the party wiped due to aoe, was told it was my fault for not rezing downed and defeated players who refused to spread out or use aoe heals.

Rest of the dungeon run was clean until the end; when the cinematic loaded up after beating the last boss was kicked and denied the chest and the achievement. When I asked afterward why I was kicked, was told “you kicked yourself a long time ago” and likely was put on ignore.

Had the insight to check through the party log to friend him before it all disappeared afterward… haven’t reported (not sure on Anet’s policy whether party kicks like that constitute a breach of TOS), but at least it’s a reminder of the kind of players you can PUG with.

On an unrelated note… if there’s an awesome, active and mature guild on Tarnished Coast I’d love an invite!

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Ive had this happen, went afk for 3 minutes because son started crying. And them During the jade maw right after we beat all the prior 3 fractals,, right when i was at the end and we killed boss they kicked me, i asked why they said because i went afk. (3 minutes afk said brb and said sorry and it was at a non cruicil part n the fractal too).

They sure didnt care for the 3 fractals AFTER and had to kick me at the end, they couldnt have jus kicked me then, this kitten me off they were using me AND THEN GRIEFED ME ( i went afk in the first fractal1)

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

So your guildy intentionally teased/insulted another player and was not capable of completing the required mechanics for the fight.

No, read the post again. I don’t know where you got the idea that the guildie was failing the fight.The guildie was doing just fine in the fight, and the other guy was trying to micromanage him for no reason. The backseat driver says “dodge roll” so he uses mist form instead. It has the same basic result of avoiding maw’s attack. It’s a cheeky way to deal with a bossy person, but it doesn’t actually hurt the group at all, nor does it constitute a direct insult to the player. The bossy guy overreacts and kicks him, which is actually hurtful to the group. Bossy guy deserved to be kicked in turn. Unless there was some verbal abuse or trash talk the OP isn’t telling us about, then his guildie is blameless here.

Basically, if someone is playing in a way that you yourself wouldn’t play, but they are still getting the job done – then there is no need to try to tell them how to do it or what you would do instead. That’s backseat driving and it’s useless.

Majyyks [Os] – NSP

Posted by: Slaa.7561

Slaa.7561

yes 3 vote please.
maybe i am just paranoid, but i am trying to support the group best i can. but i get a sinking suspicion and i constantly running group with people with full magic find on.

magic find should have just been a food buff only.

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

I run high lvl fotm with mf gear on as a guardian, got a problem with that?

Slaa.7561

yes, you are a drain on the group. might as well take off some agony resistance, because it is the same thing.

SundayTrash.9562

mf gear still has power and precision. Its not like i am dying over and over again.

Slaa.7561

its dps type set yes. but you are missing out on crit damage, or something that benefits the fight. Just so you can have your selfish magic find.

Magic find is a dumb idea, period.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

yes, you are a drain on the group. might as well take off some agony resistance, because it is the same thing.

Though I don’t use MF gear myself, if he/she plays well-which seems to be the case-, it’s no issue. There’s no “group draining” involved; at least, not necessarily.

Let people play with the gear they want-I don’t like MF gear too much (I find its benefits are minimal and still luck-based vs general stats loss), but it’s OK if someone wants to use it. I am tempted to craft my own MF gear someday, but am not too keen on the idea because of the risks vs benefit involved.

SundayTrash.9562

I find like a named exotic every 5-8 run with mf on

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone.

Just a quick note about this kind of attitudes and how to report them: if you think you have witnessed an unfair in-game episode and you would like the team to revise the players that took part in it and the situation, you can also proceed to report to our Customer Support team using the in-game ticketing system (screenshots and details -place, hour of the incident, etc- about the event would be desirable).

Just remember that like we don’t permanently ban anyone on the forums for first time offences, the same goes in-game. The more you report, the better the game world will be.

Thanks.

Mirta.5029

he could have tanky stats keeping him alive. As long as you don’t go full glass cannon build (stats, powers and gear) you should do just fine.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Well is it your only set? If so, yes, problem.

Instead you should carry multiple sets of armor. One Magic Find set for easy mobs like Harpies and Jade Fractal, and another armor set for serious fights like Legendary Imbued Shaman.

There’s nothing wrong with using Magic Find when it is justified. The devs were brilliant allowing us to switch armor in dungeons. But using it during boss battles is pointless. Dredge would be an example NOT to use MF because they drop bags, which aren’t rare in the first place.

In short, just know when to use magic find and on what mobs. Jade Fractal and Harpies come to mind.

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

he could have tanky stats keeping him alive. As long as you don’t go full glass cannon build (stats, powers and gear) you should do just fine.

He still has 1/3 less stats than everyone else.
MF is selfish and for morons. 100% more of a 5% drop rate is still only 10%. That is not enough to justify gimping yourself.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

MF is selfish and for morons. 100% more of a 5% drop rate is still only 10%. That is not enough to justify gimping yourself.

The 1/3 less stats during normal mooks don’t make a difference.

The 1/3 less stats during bosses make a huge difference.

What’s selfish in my opinion is people not being able to use the 11 inventory slots to swap armor sets when necessary.

I am under the impression many people who use magic find do not swap equipment.

Posted by: Palaryel.2463

Palaryel.2463

^^THIS^^

How in hell do you people fail so easily at simple math. 100% to a base 1% is 2%, does it really matter if you will (statistically) get 1 or 2 exotics out of 100 monsters?

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Stop joining groups and start making them, problem solved. My friend and I never join a party because of these reasons. I’m sure some people start a party in good faith and I’m sure some in bad faith, I start them in good faith and def not taking any risks with BS like this. I advice you all to do the same since all the answers we get are (report) instead of fixing the stupid system.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

^^THIS^^

How in hell do you people fail so easily at simple math. 100% to a base 1% is 2%, does it really matter if you will (statistically) get 1 or 2 exotics out of 100 monsters?

assuming that the mf-stat works like you guys assume. the mf-stat is a great stat. if u run with 100%mf that mean you will get double your amount of money from things you loot just like Palaryel.2463 is saying. and tbh that’s where the main money making is. especially in fractals. because we get alot of rare drops there and not so much direct gold. and its probably the best stat to get for increasing your gold/h.
however, it is a selfish stat. and only you gain from having it. and that’s where it breaks for me. I would never run in my mf-gear with pugs. why? because its a selfish stat and it takes money from my team mates and gives it to me because the run takes slightly longer time but the 100+%mf makes up for it ( on my part).

however with my friends, where we have made an agreement that when we farm fractals we will all be wearing our mf-gear. because we know that we can deal with the fractals even with somewhat lower stats.

however i always run with mf-food that gives 40%-mf when i have a boon and 20% more boons. i consider this ok. because its a lot of mf. and rarely do i see a player with other food than mf/gf.

and on topic: yes i think you did right and i would have done the same. an eye for an eye is sometimes just enough. and i agree that a kick requirement of 3 or even 4 votes . but 3 is enough probably.

also to solve the mf-find problem you could split all the mf-find the group has between the entire group. so if 1 person have 100% mf and the rest have none, then the entire group have an increased mf-stat of 20%. this was done in diablo3 and was one of the only thing they did right in that game imo.

Posted by: morrigana sedai.2091

morrigana sedai.2091

What I make up about what you tell, you had like 2 pugs that are of the kind yelling at everyone because they think they know all and do it the only right way, while they stand on the base of the most “mistakes” other people in the group make. In general because they do something stupid that force a other party member to do a very risky move to try to save the situation. It can be I did understood this wrong but this is what I make up out of what you are telling.

In general I dislike this kind of players allot. I play a game to have fun not to let other people yell against me. Personally I would have kicked them as soon i did not need them anymore if they had such a attitude, but I should say in a other game where you where saved for a week if you killed a boss in a raid, where I was a raid leader, I did kick people also if they had such a attitude and just did replace them. That is impossible in fractals, otherwise I would favor to kick them instantly and replace them if they go like that. Since it’s not really my way to kick people when I don’t need them anymore, I prefer to just kick them if they misbehave. Nevertheless this is impossible due the way fractals works at this moment, because of thing people did when fractals where just released as far I know. That is the point more or less, people who are behaving good, are getting punished, because other people are misbehaving and force ANet to change things because of that.

However the action form your guildy to tease them by dodging it in mist form is questionable, but the fact they kicked him for that is just not the way. You solve those kind of things in a polite grown up way and now as rage-full kiddies. Since if a tactic works, you can use it. In the end there is not 1 good tactic. So i can understand you kicked them also. Personally I don’t think it is the best way, but at the other side I have to admit I think I would have done the same, because of the misbehaving.

P.S. I hope i did manage it, to make the wall of text readable. It quite hard in a small text box, even with the use of preview function.

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

I was thinking this, just the other day – What kind of system requires 2 of 5 votes???
3 of 5 would seem logical, and avoid a lot of things like this. If I were you I would whisper the last player if you could kick the 2 idiots, having him as second, or simply (If you are leader) shut down the entire fractal run. I wouldn’t hold it against you to complete it with them either – You reported as deserved. And I’m sorry you had to run into people like that.

But really. I don’t get how 2 vote kick hasn’t been changed to 3/5 yet.

This is because it isn’t asking for 2/5, it is asking for 2/4 or 2/3 or 2/2.

The person getting kicked doesn’t have a vote. This means that either half the other party members (2/4 in a 5-man) want them out, or a majority of the other players (any smaller group size) want them out.

So requiring 2 players to confirm sets the threshold at 50%, not 40%.

For the rest, yeah, it was handled just fine.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

There are a lot of hot heads in this game just earlier today I created an AC explorable group nobody except me had done story mode. So I was willing to zone them but I had to walk from black citadel. One player starts throwing a fit for no reason saying i’m a liar and theres no way I did story mode without having the waypoint. I told him I would zone us in to prove I have storymode done. He pretty much rage quit before I could prove him wrong. I was kind of glad he left because I didn’t want to deal with a player like him. I’ve gotten kicked many times for suggesting tactics in the nicest way

Best thing you can do atm is block players and stay away from guild groups unless you know them. Like you said it’s easy to kick players in this game because it only requires 2 players. I also don’t understand how we are supposed to report players if we get kicked because all party chat vanishes

(edited by RoRo.8270)

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

Well, there is another name for the block list.

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

Hello everyone.

Just a quick note about this kind of attitudes and how to report them: if you think you have witnessed an unfair in-game episode and you would like the team to revise the players that took part in it and the situation, you can also proceed to report to our Customer Support team using the in-game ticketing system (screenshots and details -place, hour of the incident, etc- about the event would be desirable).

Just remember that like we don’t permanently ban anyone on the forums for first time offences, the same goes in-game. The more you report, the better the game world will be.

Thanks.

I reported a group for arbitrarily kicking people (me and apparently at least one other person) at the end of Tixx’s Infinirarium once and I was basically told that, while those player were jerks (paraphrasing, obviously), they did not violate any rules by using the votekick system and thus there wasn’t anything they could do about it.

I also cannot for the life of me comprehend why the party chat log disappears when you leave a group. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other game do that.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Mirta.5029

The 1/3 less stats during normal mooks don’t make a difference.

The 1/3 less stats during bosses make a huge difference.

What’s selfish in my opinion is people not being able to use the 11 inventory slots to swap armor sets when necessary.

I am under the impression many people who use magic find do not swap equipment.

1. You can be poor enough not to have that extra set.
2. The game is much more skill than set based, you can run with yellows and still perform good.

^^THIS^^

10% chance on yellows in a fractal is 1/10 chance to get yellow, versus 1/20. During weeks of testing people wearing mf have gotten significantly more yellows than people without it. While getting an exotic is far harder it still improves your profit by a lot.

This is because it isn’t asking for 2/5, it is asking for 2/4 or 2/3 or 2/2.

The person getting kicked doesn’t have a vote. This means that either half the other party members (2/4 in a 5-man) want them out, or a majority of the other players (any smaller group size) want them out.

So requiring 2 players to confirm sets the threshold at 50%, not 40%.

For the rest, yeah, it was handled just fine.

The one getting kicked doesn’t get a vote, so it makes the voting 50% on 50%. Half the group is not enough in any other game but this one. It has to be the majority voting for the kick to actually happen in any other game. I have seen cases where 3 peeps get kicked by 2 just to be kitten. Had all sorts of runs when it comes to dungeons and fractals. The kick system is broken and should require more votes.