Dear Anet, thank you for all the free content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

You guys work so hard to keep pumping out content for us, and it is 100% free. I mean seriously if this was EA every single new patch probably gonna cost 10$ each already. So thank you for that, seriously.

Posted by: Proteus.6320

Proteus.6320

Gear is not content.

Gear treadmills disguised as content goes against the philosophy of gear not taking forget to maximize so that you can just play the game. What do we need this gear for if nothin is designed around using it?

Welcome to the grind.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

this is not content, this is the way precursors should have been handled in the first place, so I wouldn’t have burned 200g into the mystic toilet for no reason.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Gear is not content.

The SAB sure as hell is content.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

What content?
15 charrs in ugly armor

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

Content? You now mean old past events coming back? ascended weapon crafting BS and MF reset? Awesome Content!

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

Content is being largely being paid for by the sales from the gem store.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Proteus.6320

Proteus.6320

Letting people know ectos were involved so that the no life players could immediately profit, check. Resetting monthlies so the locusts get double rewards, check.

This game rewards players with no job or life with massive TP manipulation.

Then we get the stellar gear grinds.

No thanks. Not the game I thought it was and anyone who doesn’t see this especially after the last couple patches is drinking koolaid.

This game has gone full on Asian grinder.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You guys work so hard to keep pumping out content for us, and it is 100% free. I mean seriously if this was EA every single new patch probably gonna cost 10$ each already. So thank you for that, seriously.

I agree, best MMO I’ve ever played.

I may not like every single patch, but in 2 weeks there’s another one…then another 2 weeks there’s another one, then another, then another. At this rate we will have 26 content patches in the time it took my last MMO to release ONE (at $15 per month).

Shelledfade.6435

yeah if it was EA at least we would get something worth-while. Super adventure box isn’t exactly my idea of a good time.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I may not like every single patch, but in 2 weeks there’s another one…then another 2 weeks there’s another one, then another, then another. At this rate we will have 26 content patches in the time it took my last MMO to release ONE (at $15 per month).

Don’t get tricked by the number of updates. You have to look at their quality. Personally, I feel the quality is quite poor (the content is buggy, rushed, and grindy).

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

its not for free. maybe they earn even more than mmos with a subsciber fee. when u pay for content the developer trys to keep the playerbase by adding enjoyable content. anets marketing model trys to keep the playerbase by adding small time consuming updates. keep development as low as possible and find ways to make ppl want stuff from the cash shop.
endgame content = legendary
legendary = purchasable through cash

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Where’s this new content you speak of?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Where’s this new content you speak of?

You should be getting an ingame mail that alerts you to new areas and new activities.

Or you can check the splash page for recent releases:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

And you can find the game release notes here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates

All free

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Got to love forums, people get to voice their opinion, but as always with every single game related forums out there, tends to lean more towards the negative than the positive.

But yes, loving the content they have been releasing, have been a blast to play through. IMO, have been great quality content.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I might be missing something here, but how is any of it free? Without players paying for the game or paying cash for gems none of it would happen. Are you saying if no one paid anything it would be free? I don’t think you can take that check to the bank and c….a….s….h it. (bah filter)

Serenity now~Insanity later

eisberg.2379

I might be missing something here, but how is any of it free? Without players paying for the game or paying cash for gems none of it would happen. Are you saying if no one paid anything it would be free? I don’t think you can take that check to the bank and c….a….kitten. (bah filter)

Are you saying that when I get a free hamburger at Mcdonalds, because I have a coupon, that it is not free for me? When people say “free” they mean they themselves didn’t have to play any money to obtain it. It doesn’t matter that I paid for a hamburger a month ago from Mcdonalds, the money I spent was for that hamburger, but the hamburger I got today that I didn’t have to pay for was free. Same concept with this. Doesn’t matter that I paid for character slots a few months ago, the money I spent for character slots was to pay for the character slots, but the content Anet has been giving me I didn’t have to pay for it, therefore it is free.

Shelledfade.6435

Dear anet, thank you for the mystic toilet, it ate 200g and gave nothing back. Praise Anet!

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Gear is not content.

The SAB sure as hell is content.

I rather play a good F2P trading card game than that 8/16 bit crap any day. True story.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

People that think this is “content” have not come from any real MMO. Maybe a Facebook game or an asian grinder. But this stuff is about quantity, not quality… but that’s how America seems to be tuned these days.

I feel sad for people who think this is the best it can be.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

People that think this is “content” have not come from any real MMO. Maybe a Facebook game or an asian grinder. But this stuff is about quantity, not quality… but that’s how America seems to be tuned these days.

I feel sad for people who think this is the best it can be.

Super Mario / Battletoads clones are content. What are you complaining about?

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: squirrelzilla.5809

squirrelzilla.5809

Content? You now mean old past events coming back? ascended weapon crafting BS and MF reset? Awesome Content!

Super Adventure Box is technically not old content since they’ve added new levels to it.

Luna Wildbark [FOOL] on Crystal Desert

Shelledfade.6435

SAB is not content in the sense, its not an actual part of the rest of the game. It’s only a side attraction and nothing else really interacts with it normally as an actual part of the game.

That’s why I personally do not consider it actual content for the game itself, because it isn’t anything like the actual game. An 8bit jumping puzzle is disconnected and irrelevant.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

You have to admit that they are making alot of efforts to add to the game the way they think it should be added to. I dont agree with Anets philosophy 70% of the time, but it is still impressive what they have made. At the moment im less impressed because of the lackluster in the recent updates but still its nice to see they’re still working on the game. It would however be nicer to see them listen to different parts of the community

Essence Snow.3194

I might be missing something here, but how is any of it free? Without players paying for the game or paying cash for gems none of it would happen. Are you saying if no one paid anything it would be free? I don’t think you can take that check to the bank and c….a….kitten. (bah filter)

Are you saying that when I get a free hamburger at Mcdonalds, because I have a coupon, that it is not free for me? When people say “free” they mean they themselves didn’t have to play any money to obtain it. It doesn’t matter that I paid for a hamburger a month ago from Mcdonalds, the money I spent was for that hamburger, but the hamburger I got today that I didn’t have to pay for was free. Same concept with this. Doesn’t matter that I paid for character slots a few months ago, the money I spent for character slots was to pay for the character slots, but the content Anet has been giving me I didn’t have to pay for it, therefore it is free.

Can you make a different analogy? I couldn’t make heads or tails of that one, so I can’t really respond. Admittedly it didn’t help that all I could think of was Wimpy from Popeye while reading it.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

stop talking nosense.

there isnt free content, you have to pay for a box and they make profit from gem store, nothing is free, just the stuff your mom is paying you for now, but it wont be like that forever.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

My post was deleted because it was not positive. About a quarter of all that is posted in these forums is positive.

Onto the topic: They pump out content at a rapid pace which is admirable. However, prior to doing so I had doubts to their ability to do this. Quantity over quality it seems. The two week content has not been met with massive open arms as they might say in front of cameras. It is regarded, not only in these forums but in game as well, as nothing more than check boxes, achievement mongering, currency farming, zerging, disjointed story,mini-game filled material.

I would rather pay for mini expansions that have substantial content and quality over two week rapid-spit fire content.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

More currency grinding, more Hello Kitty-like side games, more gear grinding, more mindless zerg content….. that’s all I have seen with the past few updates.

I would pay $10 for a new zone and dungeon, or a more in depth personal quest series, I will not pay $10 for a pink, or glowy back item, or another disconnected item like “How to Dance”.

The people praising all the “content” I assume are limited in MMO gaming. As much as people bash other MMO’s at least “real” content that you paid for (i.e. expansions) brought things to the game such as Zones, Dungeons, Races, Classes, Skills, and Gear. And not “RNG hope you get lucky, no skill needed”, gear such as everything in GW2.

Not to be a downer but the fact that I have not been playing since launch like a lot of people (only some months now), and I am getting annoyed with the “No Grinding” turning into utter BS from Anet. I started playing GW2 to get away from that crap. And now its pretty much going the direction of “Guild Wars2, the fluff content and gear grind MMO”.

Not sure how much more I want to progress.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

More currency grinding, more Hello Kitty-like side games, more gear grinding, more mindless zerg content….. that’s all I have seen with the past few updates.

I would pay $10 for a new zone and dungeon, or a more in depth personal quest series, I will not pay $10 for a pink, or glowy back item, or another disconnected item like “How to Dance”.

The people praising all the “content” I assume are limited in MMO gaming. As much as people bash other MMO’s at least “real” content that you paid for (i.e. expansions) brought things to the game such as Zones, Dungeons, Races, Classes, Skills, and Gear. And not “RNG hope you get lucky, no skill needed”, gear such as everything in GW2.

Not to be a downer but the fact that I have not been playing since launch like a lot of people (only some months now), and I am getting annoyed with the “No Grinding” turning into utter BS from Anet. I started playing GW2 to get away from that crap. And now its pretty much going the direction of “Guild Wars2, the fluff content and gear grind MMO”.

Not sure how much more I want to progress.

This pretty much sums it up too. Instead of new perma zones, perma dungeons, perma content, perma skills, classes, races, personal story additions, threats to the game(i.e. everything that you immerse yourself in 1-79), we get: disjointed story, mini games, more currencies, more “rewards”, mini pets, skins(which are good), gem store cash grabs, RNG, temporary zones, temporary instances, temporary dungeons, zergs, gold farming, ascended gear.

Anyone see a problem?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Dear Anet, thank you for all the paid content I can’t play.

Seriously, if you aren’t going to fix bugs, at least stop adding new ones.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

eisberg.2379

Can you make a different analogy? I couldn’t make heads or tails of that one, so I can’t really respond. Admittedly it didn’t help that all I could think of was Wimpy from Popeye while reading it.

ok, I paid money for a character slot, because the $10 for a slot was worth the price for that slot. Anet made new content and didn’t charge me for it, therefore it is free because I wasn’t charged for it. I didn’t buy the content with my $10 character slot. It is irrelevant that someone else had to pay money to get that content made, because when they released that content they did not charge me for it, therefore it is free to me. And when people say “Thanks for the free content” what they mean is there was no price associated with that content, they didn’t have to whip out their wallet to play through that content.

It is called understanding the common use of communication, if everyone wants to find some irrelevant technicality, then communication just breaks down. So when people say free, what they mean is they didn’t have to pay money directly to get it.

eisberg.2379

stop talking nosense.

there isnt free content, you have to pay for a box and they make profit from gem store, nothing is free, just the stuff your mom is paying you for now, but it wont be like that forever.

As to the common usage of the term free, the content given to us is free, since we didn’t have to break out our wallets and pay $x to get access to that content. Lets not break down communication by finding technicalities.

Essence Snow.3194

I don’t think the macro is irrelevant. If it were not for the exchanging of moneys it simply would not exist. In it’s most basic form money=update……no money=no update.

eisberg.2379

I don’t think the macro is irrelevant. If it were not for the exchanging of moneys it simply would not exist. In it’s most basic form money=update……no money=no update.

Then we need to get rid of the word “free” from all language, because technically nothing is free? Orrrrr, we realize what the common usage of free is, and base our communication on that usage. In the common usage of free, the content is free.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m with you two. This game is the best ever! Keep up the good work ANet! Don’t let the trolls get you down! Know that there are many in the silent majority who love and appreciate what you do and will say so every time when asked!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Galaxia.1304

Galaxia.1304

1. I appreciate for the content so far.
BUT
2. I will leave my comment about ascended weapon empty until I experienced the drop rate in fotm.
3. Craftings should still give 10 levels from 1-400.
4. I would rather spend 50USD for an expansion instead of these living stories.

P.S.2 I am fine with ascended weapon, but not doing A LOT OF craftings for it.
P.S.3 Imagine if 400-500 gives another 10 lv worth of experience, when someone want to power level an alt. I would prefer do all 8 craftings to 400 instead of 3 to 500 and 2 others to 400.

Essence Snow.3194

Then we need to get rid of the word “free” from all language, because technically nothing is free? Orrrrr, we realize what the common usage of free is, and base our communication on that usage. In the common usage of free, the content is free.

No……just in the context of the game. The context of macro here (common usage…the whole of the game)is in relation to the game, no further. If there was no box moneys, then I would agree. If there wasn’t a premise of updates after the box price w/o shop sales, then I would agree. As it stands though without one or the other nothing would be added.

eisberg.2379

No……just in the context of the game. The context of macro here (common usage…the whole of the game)is in relation to the game, no further. If there was no box moneys, then I would agree. If there wasn’t a premise of updates after the box price w/o shop sales, then I would agree. As it stands though without one or the other nothing would be added.

If people didn’t spend money at Mcdonalds, then there would be no coupon for a free Hamburger. If I have a coupon for a free hamburger at Mcdonald’s it is still free in the common usage of the term free. This is the same exact thing with this game.

I fixed my sister’s satellite TV service and didn’t charge her for it, it was free for her, despite that someone else paid to train me how to fix it. Free

My uncle fixed the plumbing in my home, and didn’t charge me, despite the fact that he paid to get the training in plumbing, and the time he spent on fixing it. Free

See how in all of these someone paid with time and or money, but the one receiving the service never paid for those services rendered. Free.

Essence Snow.3194

If people didn’t spend money at Mcdonalds, then there would be no coupon for a free Hamburger. If I have a coupon for a free hamburger at Mcdonald’s it is still free in the common usage of the term free. This is the same exact thing with this game.

I fixed my sister’s satellite TV service and didn’t charge her for it, it was free for her, despite that someone else paid to train me how to fix it. Free

My uncle fixed the plumbing in my home, and didn’t charge me, despite the fact that he paid to get the training in plumbing, and the time he spent on fixing it. Free

See how in all of these someone paid with time and or money, but the one receiving the service never paid for those services rendered. Free.

Let me see if I can relate it to McDonalds then….lol.

Imagine McDonalds charges you a door fee with the premise of you getting drinks. Once you are inside the only way to get those drink is if people buy food. Are the drinks free?

If there wasn’t a door charge and I didn’t pay for food once inside, then yes it would be free.

In terms of the cable. It would be like you charging you sister to come over, then not charging for the actual work. Is it free?

Same deal with the plumbing. If he charged you for coming over yet did not charge you for fixing it, would it be free?

In all of those examples you gave you made an odd correlation to the box fee.

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

but what if you went into McDonalds thinking you were getting a free burger and they gave you KFC instead?

Vaxx.3178

but what if you went into McDonalds thinking you were getting a free burger and they gave you KFC instead?

Great analogy. That’s pretty much what happened from my point of view.

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

“I don’t want your free finger-licking good drumstick!
I want my free cheeseburger!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
I hate you!!
You’re a loser!!”

Spoiled brats that you just want to high five
on the face
with a trebuchet.

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

Vaxx.3178

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
I hate you!!
You’re a loser!!”

on the face
with a trebuchet.

No, not really.

No grind – Yes there is.
New Content – New mini games for 2 weeks at a time.

I couldn’t care less if its free or not, but doesn’t mean I am getting what I ordered when I walked through the door.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Letting people know ectos were involved so that the no life players could immediately profit, check. Resetting monthlies so the locusts get double rewards, check.

This game rewards players with no job or life with massive TP manipulation.

Then we get the stellar gear grinds.

No thanks. Not the game I thought it was and anyone who doesn’t see this especially after the last couple patches is drinking koolaid.

This game has gone full on Asian grinder.

Yeah pretty much, I probably won’t get an Ascended Wep for a looooooooong time. Especially since I hate crafting, have crappy luck with drops, hate grinding and don’t have as much time on my hands as I used to.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

It’s not free if other players are paying for it. Why is that such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I agree with the OP.I’m thankful to Anet for everything they are giving me.And the good time i’m having.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

It’s not free if other players are paying for it. Why is that such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

If you personally aren’t paying for it then as far as you’re concerned it’s free. If someone invites you over for dinner then you got yourself a free meal. The concept is flawed so it’s not that they can’t grasp it, it’s that they won’t accept it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Technically we paid money for the game (unless we got it as a gift) so the game cost us something. That said, I’ve paid $60 for games I played for less than an hour. I’ve played this game for over 3000 hours. So if you divide it up, even with the money I’ve been in the cash shop, it’s probably the cheapest form of entertainment there is.

And I am being entertained. I’m having a good time. Admittedly a lot of that has to do with the guild I’m in, but the game itself is still fun to me, even during hours when most of my guild is sleeping.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
I hate you!!
You’re a loser!!”

on the face
with a trebuchet.

No, not really.

No grind – Yes there is.
New Content – New mini games for 2 weeks at a time.

I couldn’t care less if its free or not, but doesn’t mean I am getting what I ordered when I walked through the door.

And it isn’t free because you paid to walk through the door.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I agree with OP Haha GW2 is worth it’s price alright

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…