Dear anet, why have rifle ingame?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nandor The Stampede.1593

Nandor The Stampede.1593

Even more so, is there a point to having a legendary rifle ingame? The only class that can somewhat properly use a rifle is engi, and even then, they’re better p/p hammer.

Would be nice if the rifle got an update so that it became the meta weapon (oops hopeful thinking) I mean at least the main ranged weapon of some classes?

cough warrior cough.

So much potential in this game…. who is wasting it? I want names! jk.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Even more so, is there a point to having a legendary rifle ingame? The only class that can somewhat properly use a rifle is engi, and even then, they’re better p/p hammer.

Would be nice if the rifle got an update so that it became the meta weapon (oops hopeful thinking) I mean at least the main ranged weapon of some classes?

cough warrior cough.

So much potential in this game…. who is wasting it? I want names! jk.

Kitten any meta.

The rifle is great for the Warrior if you take the time to learn how to use it. Button-mashers need not apply.

Wait to see what the next expansion brings. There might be a new profession that can use it, who knows?

~EW

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This… is my BOOMSTICK! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. Black Lion’s top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That’s right, this sweet baby was made in Lions Arch, Kryta. Retails for about twelve hundred and nine, ninety five. It’s got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That’s right. Shop smart. Shop Evon-Mart. You got that?

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Agree, rifles sucks. Damage is inferior to melee weapons and considering it’s single target (aside from 3rd skill on warrior) only it’s even worse. It certainly can’t compete with ranger LB for example, probably not even with dragonhunter LB.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

“THIS RIFLE IS CALLED THE SUPER HYPERBEAM ALPHA. Now, you’re propably thinking, but its just a rifle WRONG.
A weapon doesn’t just randomly earn the name SUPER HYPERBEAM ALPHA without packing some punch. You a warrior? get yourself a Super Hyperbeam Alpha. Go stand somewhere, pull the trigger and let the nuclear detonation unleash a beam of so much force you’ll be rewriting laws on nature with this baby. And thats before the beam even leaves your rifle
"

The Super Hyperbeam Alpha: In case you need to kill a Chack, and all his siblings, and everything else alive near him in a thousand feet radius, 10 kilometers away, with the shiverpeaks between you and your target

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Agree, rifles sucks. Damage is inferior to melee weapons and considering it’s single target (aside from 3rd skill on warrior) only it’s even worse. It certainly can’t compete with ranger LB for example, probably not even with dragonhunter LB.

Of course damage is inferior to melee weapons… the trade off for some damage is you’re attacking from range.

Also, the burst pierces, the primal burst explodes, and the purpose of the rifle isn’t solely doing tons of damage… you also get interrupts, fast adrenaline gain, and a free evade. Take the time to learn how to use it.

~EW

serialkicker.5274

Of course damage is inferior to melee weapons… the trade off for some damage is you’re attacking from range.

Also, the burst pierces, the primal burst explodes, and the purpose of the rifle isn’t solely doing tons of damage… you also get interrupts, fast adrenaline gain, and a free evade. Take the time to learn how to use it.

~EW

Or you can take your time to learn how to melee, so you don’t have to use inferior weapons. See, how that works? All I was saying is that it’s inferior weapon and there is little point in using it. I wanted to try warr with rifle, just for fun, but it’s not fun at all. Considering it’s single target weapon for the most part, it could have a bit more damage. It could be on par with ranger LB at least, which is a good weapon and actually has traits tying to it, unlike warr rifle with only one trait (for cooldown). I don’t remember about engineer’s rifle and traits, but rifle itself is also not appealing at all.
Just because I don’t like the weapons doesn’t mean I don’t know how to use it.
OP probably wishes he could use rifle as main weapon (as do I), but unfortunately it’s a pretty bad weaon to have for your first choice, no amtter how hard you’re trying to say otherwise. It’s only usefull for when you really have to go range, which is not often.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I like my rifle. Molon Labe.

Posted by: Alec B.8905

Alec B.8905

Anets intention with engi rifle is to use it like a kit, not completely relying on it for dmg only for utility which is just like kits. That is the sad part. What Anet is doing with engi rifle is trying to push them towards using other kits as a source of dmg instead of taking other options inside the engi’s kitten nal of skilld.
I think that what most engis want is to be able to rely on a weapon and keep utilities for sustain. kind of like warrior. warriors get so much dmg out of clicking a few buttons on their main weapon and then sit back on their passives and utilities that sustain them far longer than most other classes while not even gearing for sustain builds.

I understand the trade off with ranged v mele, but engi just needs better dmg so they can stop relying on massive combinations of skills to get the same dmg output as a warrior clicks 2 buttons. This way engis could trade off and use skills like elixir s(invuln), rocket boots, and various other elixrs and gadgets that were all unused because of having to take other skills to get more dmg.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I love my rifle Engie. But yes, the weapon needs to be on par with Hammer or Pistols. Just an update, nothing extreme. Only a minor adjust… something that rescues it from the pre-Hot era where it is trapped.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

HoT power creep aside, my Necromancer long envied my Warrior’s rifle until axe’s range went to 900 and my Thief is getting excited about becoming a sniper. My Engineer uses rifle a lot, too, but it works like a sawed-off shotgun more than a rifle.

Posted by: VentiGlondi.9830

VentiGlondi.9830

Honestly, I wish thief got a set of shotgun skills for rifle.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

~EW

Or you can take your time to learn how to melee, so you don’t have to use inferior weapons. See, how that works? All I was saying is that it’s inferior weapon and there is little point in using it. I wanted to try warr with rifle, just for fun, but it’s not fun at all. Considering it’s single target weapon for the most part, it could have a bit more damage. It could be on par with ranger LB at least, which is a good weapon and actually has traits tying to it, unlike warr rifle with only one trait (for cooldown). I don’t remember about engineer’s rifle and traits, but rifle itself is also not appealing at all.
OP probably wishes he could use rifle as main weapon (as do I), but unfortunately it’s a pretty bad weaon to have for your first choice, no amtter how hard you’re trying to say otherwise. It’s only usefull for when you really have to go range, which is not often.

You run forward and attack your opponent who dies 10 seconds later.
I shoot a similar opponent while running forward so the opponent is at 70% health and suffering applied conditions and then melee kill the opponent 8 seconds later.
Who is using inferior weapons?
Nothing is perfect for every opponent in every circumstance and sometimes enemies spawn around us so range isn’t needed but I personally think that giving up a ranged weapon would slow my overall progress.

The Rifle just doesn’t stand out anywhere. It’s fun to use when you know how not to use it. I tend to think of it as an offhand meat tenderizing weapon.

The Rifle should pierce. Every shot should pierce, even if the overall damage had to be reduced. There’s little reason to remain at range. As it stands now, the Long Bow is simply a better choice for Warrior due to it’s enhanced Condi meat tenderizing effect.

If it’s for another Engineer utility belt, does it matter what weapon it is?

Randulf.7614

Right, my Evil Dead quote was infracted for the “primitive Screwheads” bit, so I’ve amended it here!

Alright you Tyrians, listen up! You see this? This… is my BOOMSTICK! The twelve-gauge double-barrelled Remington. Black Lion’s top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That’s right, this sweet baby was made in Lions Arch, Kryta. Retails for about twelve hundred and nine, ninety five. It’s got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That’s right. Shop smart. Shop Evon-Mart. You got that?

In an attempt to also keep it on topic, I’m a big fan of rifles in the game. I don’t think they need a big overhaul for Warrior as I kind of like how it is, although I do find the dodge skill a little cumbersome. They could prob use a bit of a damage buff or some extra utility, but they’re fun to use.

Attachments:

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

They’ve tried to give it identity from the other 1200 weapons by giving it no AoE damage but it doesn’t even have decent single target because it’s a 1200 weapon and so pays the range tax, so that leaves it underwhelming from all angles. Fierce Shot and Net Shot in particular are just uninspired, boring skills.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I don’t engi, but when I do, I take my trusty rifle with me. It’s used in amongst kits for fun (in a 5-2-3-4 fashion). It’s that fun factor pistols and shield never gave me.* I have a hammer, but, meh. It doesn’t jump me to places that other weapons find hard to reach ( ) . And, well, kits.

*YMMV on fun factor. Which, I suppose, is the point.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

The Super Hyperbeam Alpha: In case you need to kill a Chack, and all his siblings, and everything else alive near him in a thousand feet radius, 10 kilometers away, with the shiverpeaks between you and your target

I need two. Dual Wield Super Hyperbeam Alphas!

(edit) Scratch that! Seven Alphas, strapped to my forehead!

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

serialkicker.5274

~EW

You run forward and attack your opponent who dies 10 seconds later.
I shoot a similar opponent while running forward so the opponent is at 70% health and suffering applied conditions and then melee kill the opponent 8 seconds later.
Who is using inferior weapons?

No, I rush or Bull charge the target, hitting them, doing damage and stunning them, then slicing them open in few seconds and everyone that stands close. And since I spend most time in melee, I prefer having another melee weapon for secondary, because it provides me with more useful skills for the fight. If I would have rifle for swap instead, that would be pretty useless, aside from stun maybe, but that’s not worth the swap CD. So, yes, you’re using inferior weapons. Look, I know you enjoy rifle and there is nothing wrong with that, but don’t try to make it sound like it’s superior lol. If it had at least two good aoe skills, so you could bomb whole group of enemies before you approach them melee, then it could be ok, but atm it’s pretty crap. Using rifle atm is purely for fun factor, but I personally can’t find it fun if it’s so weak and doesn’t provide any special utility which I couldn’t get from other, better weapons.

(edited by serialkicker.5274)

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I need two. Dual Wield Super Hyperbeam Alphas!

(edit) Scratch that! Seven Alphas, strapped to my forehead!

Do you have a vete with the shiverpeaks or something?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Right, my Evil Dead quote was infracted for the “primitive Screwheads” bit, so I’ve amended it here!

Alright you Tyrians, listen up! You see this? This… is my BOOMSTICK! The twelve-gauge double-barrelled Remington. Black Lion’s top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That’s right, this sweet baby was made in Lions Arch, Kryta. Retails for about twelve hundred and nine, ninety five. It’s got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That’s right. Shop smart. Shop Evon-Mart. You got that?

Groovy…again!

Besides, some rifles look really great.

Attachments:

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

My Charr warrior loves his rifle!
He isn’t a range fighter—oh no!
He uses it as a ‘puller’ (like the old GW days-)
A little ’ pew pew pew’- got the enemies attention- then finish the kill up close and personal like
Makes him look good too!
Rifle is much better looking on a Charr than a long bow
(Purely for looks and immersion!)

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Randulf.7614

Groovy…again!

That is a nice rifle. That’s the BL plasma one right?

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Because 2nd amendment.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Groovy…again!

That is a nice rifle. That’s the BL plasma one right?

It is!

Still need to make one for my charr warrior just so I can have a bigger version.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO, ranged weapons are boring. And melee weapons are boring too.

Engie Rifle is not ranged nor melee. It’s so fun, so absurd, its amazing.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks