Death knell of Costume Brawl

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

So the latest offering in Costume Brawl is so OP (circular axe swing) that encompasses a very large area, plus has fear. Basically you stand very little chance of winning costume brawl now, unless you buy the latest fad as the power creep has become scary. Yep, I know its supposed to be about fun, but whats the fun of being destroyed with no chance of winning? I can only assume in a few years time, as they progress the power creep, we will have costumes that will nuke the entire server!

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Wintersday scepter is the most OP costume brawl weapon…

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Costume brawl is always about being destroyed with no chance of winning for me…

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

While I don’t think there is an urgent need for full balance in costume brawl since it is just supposed to be some crazy fun, the aoe daze and fear spam from the Mad King does kind of kill the fun that can be had.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

What levetty said. Is the new costume even stronger than Mad King’s one?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s a mini-game, we’ve already had one minigame not make it to live because players didn’t want an imbalanced and unfriendly game type added to the game. You can bet that when polymock gets added to the game, work will be regularly put in to it to balance it. Some (most) people do not find playing at a disadvantage to be fun, and that is completely understandable.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

If ANet ever wants Costume Brawl to be taken as a serious esport they kitten well better start balancing it or this game will not have a future!

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Costume brawl was competitive in GW1, but the competitive spirit died over at ANet years ago. Now it’s a crappy minigame and a massive grind for the achievement with OP costumes. No one ever wants to face my halloween costume… lolfear loldaze.

Personally I don’t plan on ever playing it again.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

You have no idea… the wooden sword on the pirate outfit is the most OP… Invulnerable on 2, multi attack on 1, and I even have a canon! A CANON!!!

My 500 legitimate victories prove me right!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t Costume Brawl is intended as an eSport ASB, it’s just intended to be fun.

That said, I much prefered CB in GW1. While there were ‘favorites’ each year, from the predefined builds, all were at least usable and fun. (And sometimes it was just fun to kick’s someone’s butt while playing an ‘underdog’ build) If they want to accomplish similar here, only using things like witches and skeletons, then they need to treat those skills similarly to any other game skill, and balance those builds as well. Which is simply more work for them.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

So they nurf the heck out how skills in pve/pvp but let costume brawl run ramped?

bilnk

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I don’t Costume Brawl is intended as an eSport ASB, it’s just intended to be fun.

That said, I much prefered CB in GW1. While there were ‘favorites’ each year, from the predefined builds, all were at least usable and fun. (And sometimes it was just fun to kick’s someone’s butt while playing an ‘underdog’ build) If they want to accomplish similar here, only using things like witches and skeletons, then they need to treat those skills similarly to any other game skill, and balance those builds as well. Which is simply more work for them.

P2W pvp isn’t fun. lol

LanfearShadowflame.3189

P2W pvp isn’t fun. lol

I didn’t say pay to win. If they balanced it properly, nothing you purchased would be any stronger than what you could get by jumping in the cauldron. Which is sort of what the general premise of what I was saying was.

Knote.2904

P2W pvp isn’t fun. lol

I didn’t say pay to win. If they balanced it properly, nothing you purchased would be any stronger than what you could get by jumping in the cauldron. Which is sort of what the general premise of what I was saying was.

I’m saying it’s P2W. Which destroys any chance of CB being balanced and fun.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

P2W pvp isn’t fun. lol

I’m saying it’s P2W. Which destroys any chance of CB being balanced and fun.

Ah my misunderstanding. Yes, the purchased costumes being stronger are a big issue (thus my complaint about balancing haha).

Personally, I’d have been happy if they’d done it similarly to GW1 which simply used the existing skills in a pre-built set up.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Yep, I know its supposed to be about fun

you see, there’s your problem – costume brawl was never fun.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

What I mean by all this is… this is the first world problems of first world problems.

It’s like the 1%ers of problems. If you’re honestly raging about competitive balance in COSTUME BRAWLS… how the hell do you play this game long enough to even get into costume brawls in the in first place?

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

can people get off their high horses? Thanks.

Nobody is asking for “competitive balance” in a wacky minigame about mindless brawling for fun. And who is raging? I see pretty relaxed posts. Thing is though that me (and others apparently) don’t find it fun when the balance gap is so wide that a frog has to stand still 1 sec to perform his melee autoattack while the mad king dazes people aoe for 3 sec on a 6 sec cd.

And nobody is trying to say this should be Arenanet priority, but it’s an issue (unless you think otherwise) and it is being voiced.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

What I mean by all this is… this is the first world problems of first world problems.

It’s like the 1%ers of problems. If you’re honestly raging about competitive balance in COSTUME BRAWLS… how the hell do you play this game long enough to even get into costume brawls in the in first place?

The same could be said for people who complain about spvp. Many don’t play that mode and it doesn’t matter to them if it’s imbalanced as hell yet we are all expected to care when something becomes OP flavor of the month.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The same could be said for people who complain about spvp. Many don’t play that mode and it doesn’t matter to them if it’s imbalanced as hell yet we are all expected to care when something becomes OP flavor of the month.

sPvP is a distinct game mode that is designed (in theory) with balance in mind.

Costume Brawls are a diversion within an already existing mode. Balance would be nice, sure, but it rightfully should be WAY down on the list of concerns for the developers. Is it even INTENDED to be balanced for that matter? If not… you might as well be farting into the wind.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

You are the only one raging, son.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The 2handed Axe is cool, but honestly the spin is it’s only good ability. I’ma stick with the Mad King Scepter. :P

The auto attack roots you in place and has a cooldown, the #2 charge is hard to hit anything with and the aoe fear forces you into a 2nd attack that leaps you forward, most of the time hitting nothing.

So, meow.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Knote.2904

sPvP is a distinct game mode that is designed (in theory) with balance in mind.

Costume Brawls are a diversion within an already existing mode. Balance would be nice, sure, but it rightfully should be WAY down on the list of concerns for the developers. Is it even INTENDED to be balanced for that matter? If not… you might as well be farting into the wind.

What the hell is the point of mini game if you just make it P2W? There’s a reason no one plays it lol.

Costume Brawl would’ve worked really well with a MOBA-style minigame like Reapers Rumble, where each costume is like a “champion/hero” to choose from.

It would be pointless with overpowered cash shop costumes though.

“PvE isn’t meant to be balanced guys, it’s ok that X class is able to literally one shot mobs while the rest can’t, it doesn’t matter, it’s just PvE”

Terrible reasoning.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

The 2handed Axe is cool, but honestly the spin is it’s only good ability. I’ma stick with the Mad King Scepter. :P

The auto attack roots you in place and has a cooldown, the #2 charge is hard to hit anything with and the aoe fear forces you into a 2nd attack that leaps you forward, most of the time hitting nothing.

So, meow.

Yeah I just tried this out a bit ago and it does kind of suck. The #1 is slow leaving you stuck in animation lock. #2 even if I have someone targeted with it sends me running past them every time. #3 is the only decent attack it has. #4 telegraphs my attack so bad that anyone can just dodge but also sends me jump attacking in the opposite direction . It does work good when you run up behind two people that are fighting each other and not you though so you get a free hit. But I just fought a guy with the mad kings set and it was nothing but fear spam so I turned on time out. and everytime I turned it back on, was more fear spam. So I just went back to my armor set. For as neat as the set looked I should have just saved that 700 gems for something else. The axe does look really good though. would like to see more weapons of that style and quality ingame.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Are you serious?

I bought the executoners and lost so much it wasn’t funny. The ONLY skill you have that is worth anything is skill 3.

Skill 1 is VERY slow and the cooldown it states is far off the mark.
Skill 2 you NEVER hit your target all it does is make you run past them and swing your weapon.
Skill 4, yes it is flee but again it is USELESS as it then makes YOU run in some direction and swing your weapon again. NEVER after your target so it’s as useless as skill 2.
Skill 5 – summon a skeleton familiar, they should just say summon a minipet is that’s all it is, it does NOTHING.

I was fighting some guy in a Mad Kings Set and he constantly had me fleeing and stun locked and I was VERY lucky if I could even hit him with the skill 3. That’s all this set offers, 1 skill with a big aoe and THAT’S it.

PS – here’s a tip for any Engi’s out there who face these flee spammers – equip your elixir gun to your utility bar, the f-key skill interrupts/cures your char fleeing!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

The ghost is the true op costume and I love it.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

Boxing gloves. Best. Brawl. Ever!

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I’ve seen people go full nerd rage in game over costume brawls lol.

Side note: Mad King outfit is the best hands down you cant beat the fact that it spams fear and daze along with annoying repetitive jokes.

It’s about 50g to gems to get it now but last year it was about 10g.
It’s still worth it for the rofls.

(edited by Moderator)