Decreased movement speed during combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shaade.2013

Shaade.2013

I’m just wondering what the purpose of this game mechanic is?
(Besides being annoying as hell)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m just wondering what the purpose of this game mechanic is?
(Besides being annoying as hell)

I think it has to do with something like you shouldn’t be able to get out of combat as easily. Like, just run past mobs, and even if you enter combat you can still outrun them.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yes I also find this very annoying, why does it need to happen, I don’t neccessarily want to fight mobs, It’s like being on a Sunday afternoon stroll, it’s SO slow.

Mobs even overtake me, why would they do this to us………………..

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Lalabu.2097

Lalabu.2097

I have no idea what are you guys talking about… I tend to outrun enemy NPC all the time. I use a skill or a dodge of course, but after that I just keep running. Centaurs or other naturally faster mobs obviously outrun the player.
*Note that I am obviously excluding Orr

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

you get hit..you are injured and trying to run while something is beating on you. Also you dont go into combat until you get hit…if you dont want to get hamstrung, STOP getting hit.

Posted by: Rysinsun.7306

Rysinsun.7306

Would you be able to run full speed if you were conked on the head or shot with something? I doubt it. Kill stuff and move on dont be a baby .

Oh gee why didn’t anyone think of that? I guess it makes perfect, I mean it’s not like anyone is able to instantly teleport across the world or anything…. right?

Seriously, it’s bad enough that way point travel costs scale with level but if an ettin decides to break wind in my direction because I decided to actually walk… I suddenly turn into a cripple? Also, instant respawns and tightly packed mobs kind of put a hamper on the “just kill it and move on” approach.

Posted by: Xenite.7418

Xenite.7418

If you stopped every time you got into combat in Orr you would never make it five steps. So that argument is beyond silly.

Shaade.2013

Would you be able to run full speed if you were conked on the head or shot with something? I doubt it. Kill stuff and move on dont be a baby .

Would you be able to instantly recover from being conked on the head or shot with something, just by killing your opponent or moving out of range?

You can’t use real-world logic as an argument for a game.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it’s painfully slow…

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Solid Gold.9310

you get hit..you are injured and trying to run while something is beating on you. Also you dont go into combat until you get hit…if you dont want to get hamstrung, STOP getting hit.

Nope, my character has slowed down to a crawl way before I get hit…………

Yes this
vespers.1759
it’s painfully slow…

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

combat movement speed makes jumping puzzles with enemies and hazards more annoying than enjoyable.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

I wouldn’t mind it so much if the slow down was actually linked to being damaged. To often am I stuck in combat for no reason, which is really annoying when you have to jump. I have relogged countless times just to get out of combat.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

If your pet is in combat you also get slowed. You haven’t been hit at all. Logic can’t be applied to it. Your pet getting hit doesn’t cause you to have a concussion.

So it isn’t to make the game more “realistic”. They have some reason for it I’m sure, but it isn’t to make the game realistic. So what is the reason for it? Why would the game dev want you to be slowed down while in combat so that you can’t run effectively?

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Shaade.2013

If your pet is in combat you also get slowed. You haven’t been hit at all. Logic can’t be applied to it. Your pet getting hit doesn’t cause you to have a concussion.

So it isn’t to make the game more “realistic”. They have some reason for it I’m sure, but it isn’t to make the game realistic. So what is the reason for it? Why would the game dev want you to be slowed down while in combat so that you can’t run effectively?

It actually only counts if your pet attacks an enemy, not if the pet itself gets hit. (For ranger pets at least) Try changing your pet’s stance if you’re a ranger, it helps.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

Sometimes the second you get into combat though you slow down. It’s very annoying for a missed punch or whatever is causing it to slow me down to a crawl. Especially when there is field after field with enemies just standing around doing nothing.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Lyon.5397

Lyon.5397

I’ve never had it happen without being hit. Dodging to evade attacks works, as does having an Aegis effect. One of the best benefits when I play my guardian is having Aegis available as I run past mobs.

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

Or, you could look at it differently and say that combat speed is normal speed, and your speed is increased when out of combat. :p

But seriously, I think that’s actually what’s going on. They designed the combat around a certain movement speed, and decided to make travel faster out of combat.

Then again, I don’t work for Arenanet, and what I just said could be complete and utter nonsense.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

(edited by Blazing Rathalos.1904)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

The real question should be, why did they increase movement speed out of combat? So people can travel faster? Who needs that?

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

The only issue I have with it is when you are doing an event and you have to run from one location to another. Its not realistic or necessary to constantly go so slow.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Yeah it makes TOTAL sense!

Let me just throw this fireball at this guy and….. GAAH, MY LEG!

Seriously, I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just balanced the game around a single base movement speed. This feature really does drive me absolutely crazy, especially during Jumping Puzzles and whenever you get STUCK in combat.

At the VERY least they should make it so running slower doesn’t impede how far you can jump. It drives me INSANE when I miss jumps because all of a sudden I get into combat for whatever reason. Or if you get stuck in combat and suddenly it’s impossible to make certain jumps (had this happen in Mad King dungeon alot).

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

This is why we cant have good things. You do not have decreased movement speed during combat. You have increased movement speed out of combat. You had a good thing and of course, managed to find a way to complain. Thank Anet for their foresight of our need to move faster out of combat and move on.

Shaade.2013

This is why we cant have good things. You do not have decreased movement speed during combat. You have increased movement speed out of combat. You had a good thing and of course, managed to find a way to complain. Thank Anet for their foresight of our need to move faster out of combat and move on.

How can you have increased movement speed outside of combat, but not decreased movement while in combat? That doesn’t make any sense.
It’s the same problem regardless of how you look at it.

BrunoBRS.5178

yeah, that’s why the jumping puzzles are all designed around this increased speed, and why getting hit, or hitting something, means you have to log out and then back in just to be able to make a jump.

yeah, i should really thank ANet for their foresight when they added mobs to jumping puzzles.

Edewen.8304

Because the slow speed is our base. Its a matter of perspective. To me, the glass is half full because out of combat we are given a run speed bonus. Meanwhile, other ungratefuls, have half empty glasses thinking they are being punished in combat.

The ONLY problem is perspective. In a large scale action based game, speed has to be limited to prevent graphical issues and limit the effectiveness of circle strafing a older video card. They know this, however, they also know we need a faster run speed outside of combat to give the exploration a better pace. The pace of combat speed they HAD to do. The buff out of combat, not so much.

Bruno: trying killing things. Ive heard it gets you out of combat. They are there for a reason. To challenge you by using this mechanic. You are meant to kill them, not to exploit the logout button.

(edited by Edewen.8304)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Sheath your weapon.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

BrunoBRS.5178

Sheath your weapon.

i have a key bound to that, doesn’t do crap.

BrunoBRS.5178

Because the slow speed is our base. Its a matter of perspective. To me, the glass is half full because out of combat we are given a run speed bonus. Meanwhile, other ungratefuls, have half empty glasses thinking they are being punished in combat.

The ONLY problem is perspective. In a large scale action based game, speed has to be limited to prevent graphical issues and limit the effectiveness of circle strafing a older video card. They know this, however, they also know we need a faster run speed outside of combat to give the exploration a better pace. The pace of combat speed they HAD to do. The buff out of combat, not so much.

Bruno: trying killing things. Ive heard it gets you out of combat. They are there for a reason. To challenge you by using this mechanic. You are meant to kill them, not to exploit the logout button.

gee, killing things? what about environmental hazards? did you know they can lay conditions on you, which won’t let you off combat until they wear off? what about the mobs that can lay such conditions, and by the time the conditions wear out, the mob has respawned? did you know some classes do NOT have condition removal?

what about classes or builds that rely on leap skills (like dagger thief)? you can’t do anything other than autoattack, because you risk throwing your character off a cliff. no, positioning doesn’t work because the mob can and WILL move, and when it moves, your death blossom will inevitably kill you. and that’s not talking about the mobs with knockbacks (hello dredge). what’s that? roll out of the way? oh i’m sorry, you rolled into a bottomless pit and now you’re dead.

these are all problems that can be solved by “don’t slow us down”. it brings no negatives to the game.

and as for your first paragraph, you’re wrong. our base speed is out of combat speed. it’s the speed they designed the whole environment on, and having less than that speed (say, like when you’re in combat) makes certain objectives impossible, exactly because the game wasn’t designed around the slower speed.

Edewen.8304

So lets be clear. The entire point of this is that you want to bypass challenges that are intentional.

It is working as intended for you to be slowed down in combat. Jumping puzzles are meant to be a challenge and every single one of them is doable even with the mobs in place. There is no reason to increase run speed in combat. Heck, I would be afraid to see how pvp would go if melee could close the distance that much faster on a ranged. Other negatives could include making ground target abilities extremely weak as you can run out even faster. Or perhaps that invisible army we keep hearing about will blast through a group even faster. Changing run speed DOES have negatives that far surpass a few players inability to complete jumping puzzles that have been completed by hundreds of thousands of people just fine. This is not a bug. This is a challenge. A challenge intended to… challenge you. I am officially bored with this topic and shall move on. Good day to you.

BrunoBRS.5178

the entire point of this is that combat speed, more often than not, is triggered accidentally, and there’s no way around.

here’s an example: you know that lab in metrica province? the one with the huge fire elemental? there’s a jumping puzzle there.

with ice elementals.

that can attack from 1200 range and chill on autoattack.

a thief’s top ranged weapon has 900 range.

that’s being attacked by a mob before you can even get in range to kill it, with no chance of approaching it because of how the jumps are designed, and no way to dodge it without falling down, because unlike mobs, we don’t get invisible barriers to hold us in place during combat.

how’s that for “bypassing challenge”?

that’s assuming you’re a thief with a pistol in hand. if you’re playing dagger dagger elementalist? sucks, go back to rata sum and buy a staff if you want to stand a chance.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Or worse, when you’re in a jumping puzzle and ranged mobs are constantly attacking you, completely preventing you from making a jump, and if u attack back they go invulnerable. Super.

Like I said, at the very least stop the speed reduction from altering your jump distance.

Posted by: Liquid Swords.1740

Liquid Swords.1740

So I hate the slowed movement speed also but I understand why it is there.

Anyone play City of Heroes around issue 13 by chance? They added this combat movement supression to pvp(had some prior to i13 but not bad). Supression and heal decay killed pvp in that game. A sad attempt to slow the game down for everyone and even the playing field for the not so skilled folk.

So as you can see the first time I had movement supression hit me in gw2 I was screaming NOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! but got over it lol

Fort Aspenwood – PRX

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

The real question should be, why did they increase movement speed out of combat? So people can travel faster? Who needs that?

No, that’s the wrong question because with a slower running speed (and in combat is too slow) it takes longer to reach places, and the game has enough artificial longevity as it is. I say do away with in combat speed entirely, especially ranged mobs can get you in combat and slow you down effortlessly just by shooting you with something. This, combined with the poor camera (can’t see too far behind the character unless you autorun and pan the camera behind you like I oftentimes do) make this annoying.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Or, you could look at it differently and say that combat speed is normal speed, and your speed is increased when out of combat. :p

But seriously, I think that’s actually what’s going on. They designed the combat around a certain movement speed, and decided to make travel faster out of combat.

Then again, I don’t work for Arenanet, and what I just said could be complete and utter nonsense.

this is exactly it, i think thay actualy said something about this

Posted by: Denim Samurai.2379

Denim Samurai.2379

It becomes a pretty big factor in WvW. One player “enters combat” to apply a cripple/freeze/snare while another can just easily catch up to them since they are “not in combat”

turning around to apply your own slows/snares just puts you in combat and makes it easier for the people behind them to just noncombat speed waltz up to you.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Ppl going WoW again?
Don’t need to play, who cares about the world lol just let me run to my next objective, I only want to do chores, not actually play a game rite?

BrunoBRS.5178

this is exactly it, i think thay actualy said something about this

if that was the case, they wouldn’t have designed the game around the faster speed, since that’s just a “bonus”.

but as discussed above, that is not the case, and being put into combat under unfair, impossible odds can and will make you fail and/or die during, for example, jumping puzzles.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Ppl going WoW again?
Don’t need to play, who cares about the world lol just let me run to my next objective, I only want to do chores, not actually play a game rite?

Stopping to fight can be fun sometimes, but the problem is sometimes we really have to be somewhere. Also, some mobs have fear, which for a few seconds makes you run against your will in another direction, a direction that may have other mobs that you had no intention of aggroing. Mobs themselves also run too sometimes, and if they go far enough can also aggro more mobs. Seeing a purple light at the end of a shovel and dodging accordingly and then proceeding to unleash on them knowing their knockbacks are on CD is fun, mining and having an army spawn on top of you or being insta slowed from behind at range isn’t.

Stealthing and relogging just to get out of combat if we know we wouldn’t stand a chance is not fun.

Zombies, people, and all sorts of beasts you did absolutely nothing to all come out of the woodwork just to attack you, but they can’t help it, that’s how they’re programmed -_-

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

BrunoBRS.5178

oh yeah, fear.

another reason to avoid fighting in jumping puzzles. getting feared off a cliff. not even stability can save you from that one.

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Just another one of those seemingly useless but frustrating as all hell mechanics…

Yeah, cause this game is all about realism. -_-

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t know about you Adine, but if i shot something, i’d still be able to run at full speed. even if my inexperience with guns resulted in an injured wrist, i don’t see how that would make me move slower.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

So cheesy Mesmer can keep you locked in fight by spaming their Phantasms in the JP….thus preventing you from doing any of the jumps.

It’s actually more of a balancing mechanism I assume but ideally it wouldn’t be necessary.

Shaade.2013

Ppl going WoW again?

And having to kill mobs you don’t want/need to isn’t a chore?

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’m assuming it’s simply to allow mobs a chance to actually hit you before they leash.

Let’s face it, 99.9% of the mobs in the world have no real answer for you just continuing to run in the opposite direction (and that’s with us running slower in combat. If we didn’t, it’d just make it even more of a joke). Even orr is just annoying when you’re geared, not dangerous. In fact Cursed Shore is IMO the easiest of the orr zones with more open areas, less narrow pathways and dead ends, freedom of movement etc. Malchior’s Leap is the nasty one and there’s not much reason to go there.

Solid Gold.9310

I’m assuming it’s simply to allow mobs a chance to actually hit you before they leash.

Please just tell me it’s NOT just because of that.

The slowed movement speed just makes the game so slow, boring and dull.

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

I think it’s pretty easy the answer. For those of you that want a meta answer of your “problem”, if you fight and have normal speed, you could dodge all enemies with ease. Your speed is slowed to make the fight even. Else, they’d have to increase all mobs speed, and im pretty sure you dont want that.

And those of you who just want to go through a pack of zombies and not have a single trouble: welcome to real world fellas. You cant go on a field trip in the fields of destruction. Monsters are aggressive for a reason.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

It’s intended to equate to the fact that in every other fantasy MMO in the world, if you’re out of combat, you can mount up to travel faster.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Ppl going WoW again?

And having to kill mobs you don’t want/need to isn’t a chore?

No, why?
Is there a list of them you need to cross out?
It’s not like you have to grind through 100 mobs to go from one base to another. You’re crying about having two or three fights in a five minutes walk and if you weren’t completely dull you could just walk around.

Posted by: Winderly.2718

Winderly.2718

I think it’s pretty easy the answer. For those of you that want a meta answer of your “problem”, if you fight and have normal speed, you could dodge all enemies with ease. Your speed is slowed to make the fight even. Else, they’d have to increase all mobs speed, and im pretty sure you dont want that.

Sorry to disappoint you, but i actually do want that.

And those of you who just want to go through a pack of zombies and not have a single trouble: welcome to real world fellas.

You are just silly there. This topic is not about the real world, it’s about the video game ‘GuildWars2’.

Posted by: Kyouhei.2341

Kyouhei.2341

It wouldn’t be as annoying if the movement speed reduction was something like 5% to max 10%.
But it’s -33% Speed …. ._.

Using a speedbuff in combat makes you run normally again, what is really really REALLY ANNOYING!
Caps = Indicator of rage ^^

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

And those of you who just want to go through a pack of zombies and not have a single trouble: welcome to real world fellas. You cant go on a field trip in the fields of destruction. Monsters are aggressive for a reason.

except that this argument makes no sense because you still run faster than most mobs in combat.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.