Defeating Self Doubt

Defeating Self Doubt

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Neutra.6857

Neutra.6857

I still am trying to figure this out on a ranger. Unfortunately the ranger opponent uses signet of stone which increases toughness and a signet that heals it over time. You need pretty precise pet control or to put it on passive, but that massively decreases the amount of damage a ranger can do.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

I still am trying to figure this out on a ranger. Unfortunately the ranger opponent uses signet of stone which increases toughness and a signet that heals it over time. You need pretty precise pet control or to put it on passive, but that massively decreases the amount of damage a ranger can do.

I got it down to 12% with a condi ranger doing exactly what you said with precise pet control using the electric Wyvern and Fern hound. 2 times I made a wrong choice with skills and it cost me the fight. I didn’t think about it using signet of stone that would definitely make it harder. I also just realised I didn’t think about changing weapons I was just on A/T as it was doing good damage, I would have had a whole set of extra condi’s and skills if I had changed weapons a few times… I will try it out later.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I would put the pet on passive and kite until you have all your skills. Then break bar, F2 & do your progression. F3 when you are finished your progression. Then go back to kiting. Rinse, repeat. Have regeneration if the mob is doing more dmg than you can heal with the limited time you have your heal skill.

Just a note that breaking the bar is not necessary – it will just take longer. I didn’t break the bar and still succeeded.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Defeating Self Doubt

Firebird Gomer.9563

I would put the pet on passive and kite until you have all your skills. Then break bar, F2 & do your progression. F3 when you are finished your progression. Then go back to kiting. Rinse, repeat. Have regeneration if the mob is doing more dmg than you can heal with the limited time you have your heal skill.

Just a note that breaking the bar is not necessary – it will just take longer. I didn’t break the bar and still succeeded.

I’m not sure what the other classes have weapons wise on this enemy but the ranger one has Long Bow so kiting is a little harder to do cause of its range to hit you.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Red Daing.7804

Red Daing.7804

Used my viper warrior with torch+sword, 4 cc skills (2 are needed for breaking the bar) and healing signet. I had 6 stacks from hands when boss went finally down. Just dont hit boss until your CC and burst skills are up and the bar not broken.

Then headbutt + another CC, zerk mode for burst and done in 3 phases. Btw, I think i could dodge some hands, not a lot but some.

Defeating Self Doubt

Djinn.9245

Used my viper warrior with torch+sword, 4 cc skills (2 are needed for breaking the bar) and healing signet. I had 6 stacks from hands when boss went finally down. Just dont hit boss until your CC and burst skills are up and the bar not broken.

Then headbutt + another CC, zerk mode for burst and done in 3 phases. Btw, I think i could dodge some hands, not a lot but some.

If you read the thread, warriors don’t seem to be the problem. It would be nice if other classes chimed in with advice.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Btw, I think i could dodge some hands, not a lot but some.

There’s no point in dodging them, since the hands are just for show. The debuff is unavoidable and applied on a simple timer.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Enjoy the thread now, because it won’t be long before we get dozens of posts saying “I figured it out in 3 minutes because I’m amazing!” Followed by chastising remarks about hand holding.

I never figured out the mechanic.

I still killed it tho, the hard way.

I’m not sure if that’s a accomplishment or a embarrassment though.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Dragon.4032

Dragon.4032

About living world stories, I noticed not a lot of people are willing enough to party up for these quests. Possibly due to how these quests are designed. Honestly up till now I forced myself to do the living world stories that I didn’t really enjoy doing them because they badly lacked in group fun. But with the Self Doubt quest I have decided to completely put a stop in doing these stories from now on. Its not entirely about how difficult or easy they might be, but because of their design that ignore group quest theme. A good example I can draw on this is the Scarlet event some years ago, and how exciting they were with open world group events. Sorry Anet I have no appreciations for solo theme.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

The most garbage fight created up to date. Like what were they thinking? Development inside a box with no play testers…

Defeating Self Doubt

Djinn.9245

I actually am thankful that Anet is looking for ways to create fights that are alternatives to mobs that one-shot or are big bags of HP.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Are they really fights or are they puzzles?

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I actually am thankful that Anet is looking for ways to create fights that are alternatives to mobs that one-shot or are big bags of HP.

Then you run into a magma elemental …

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Rin Shian.1932

Rin Shian.1932

About living world stories, I noticed not a lot of people are willing enough to party up for these quests. Possibly due to how these quests are designed. Honestly up till now I forced myself to do the living world stories that I didn’t really enjoy doing them because they badly lacked in group fun. But with the Self Doubt quest I have decided to completely put a stop in doing these stories from now on. Its not entirely about how difficult or easy they might be, but because of their design that ignore group quest theme. A good example I can draw on this is the Scarlet event some years ago, and how exciting they were with open world group events. Sorry Anet I have no appreciations for solo theme.

They have a problem with such things and that is that no matter what they do, they will make people angry. I personally enjoy the single-player way of the instances (provided they are well made … what sadly they aren’t as the one thing that can be done best with such a way to deliver content … the story … is the weakest part of the entire game) but the open world events have been also giant ammounts of fun. The problem with those is, that they are not repeatable and people who join in later wont be able to replay that content.
Now I think that Anet should take a stand here and say that this is so and it is the living world and old content does not come back, but it is also true that it would be better to give new players the ability to expirience it as well. After all if they would stick with the living world model and advance the game like that, they would need to completely change the personal story with each expansion (what they should do anyway for the new professions at least … because the current situation does not make and sense at all).

I guess they would need both. Big open world events to make things exciting and create a sense of the impact the big events have on the world and the instances to actually advance the story and give the big events sense and meaning. And while the open world events are group content by definition, the instances should always remain single-player based (or maybe scale with the number of people doing them) so everyone can complete them in their preffered way of playing.

Defeating Self Doubt

Firebird Gomer.9563

Swapped weapons during fight beat it first go.

Condi Ranger is Viable takes a few minutes to do it. Put pets on passive manage them. Fern Hound for extra heals, Electric Wyvern for Break Bar then stop them from hitting them. No need to kite it, Healing Spring to heal. Try to heal when your half health only 4 traps of spikes, fire, poison and elite. Mango pies help too. And really important swap pets before they die so recharge is less. Luckily that is not affected by the debuff.

Hope that helps fellow rangers

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I am editing this post because I figured out the trick, though I still believe the dev that created this achievement to be a sadist. You need to get 25 stacks of the debuff, then the hands will give alacrity instead, which makes this doable. Just stand by the door and afk until you have 25 stacks, then enter the fight.

Thank you!

Edit: Yeah, trying to get this achievement with a healing ranger/druid was all but impossible. Got him to 50% before he instantly healed. Went for the fearful achievement instead afterwards.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: KWman.3012

KWman.3012

Revenant’s staff skill #5 truly is a God’s sent on this.

Yes, I am a Champion of an Egg.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Kapina.9012

Kapina.9012

After trying it again today, I decided to try a tactic that is (sadly) often needed with boring achievements such as this, which included me just standing at door, not attacking the boss, just waiting until the stacks from “ghosts” raise to 25. When that happens, the stacks won’t increase and the “ghost” hands give huge alacrity boon instead and reducing boss damage back to normal, meaning that your pet can survive the attacks for long enough to swap pets and keep the cycle going as long as you want.

It took around 15-20 mins overall of me just standing at the doorway, using 1 auto-attack every now and then and just switching pet whenever needed to deal the damage. Hopefully that’ll help. I wasn’t using condi build or weapons.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I had a bug where the illusions displayed no change in cursor or highlighting, so if you don’t stand near them there is no way to know they can be interacted with.

Might be that you ran into the same problem? Restarting helped.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Those sorts of fights need to be safely tucked away in raids and dungeons where folks who enjoy that stuff can seek them out. The Living Story should be fun and entertaining and not so difficult that you need to go looking for tricks and tips on forums. Normal stuff should be fun not frustrating. Anet seem to have forgotten that.

I agree it’s badly signposted but when you know how it works it’s not that hard. First time in the fight I had no clue what was happening, getting attacked by a shadowy thief version of myself didn’t give me a lot of time to read tooltips and debuffs amd I was trying to evade the ghostly hands and so on.

I got worn down and should have been defeated but I instead popped out of the vision and Anise told me that in order to beat this “I need to face my past” or something like that then I realised that the visions were green and when I ran over to them I realised there was an “F” interact option there so I ran over and pressed “F” whenever they shot a hand at me (as a daredevil that part was quite easy).

Once I realised that the rest was a pretty straightforward fight, it turns out I’m no match for… myself.

Not trying to be one of those “guh, this r so easy y u no l2p?” people just pointing out that sure, they did a pretty bad job of teaching you how the fight worked but once you know how it works the actual fight isn’t so bad.

Defeating Self Doubt

Djinn.9245

Swapped weapons during fight beat it first go.

Condi Ranger is Viable takes a few minutes to do it. Put pets on passive manage them. Fern Hound for extra heals, Electric Wyvern for Break Bar then stop them from hitting them. No need to kite it, Healing Spring to heal. Try to heal when your half health only 4 traps of spikes, fire, poison and elite. Mango pies help too. And really important swap pets before they die so recharge is less. Luckily that is not affected by the debuff.

Hope that helps fellow rangers

Thanks for the input. Kiting is necessary if the fight will take more than a few minutes because the damage will get higher and higher. Even on a Warrior that doesn’t take as much damage, with regen AND mango pie I died twice due to the damage ramp up. That’s why I started kiting while waiting for my skill cooldown. I’m sure for those with optimal builds/gear/play, they can burn the mob down faster and don’t need to kite.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I havent seen anyone mentioning the ghost npcs handing out a special item you can use one boss to make this kitten easy.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Defeating Self Doubt

Djinn.9245

I havent seen anyone mentioning the ghost npcs handing out a special item you can use one boss to make this kitten easy.

Second post in this thread mentions it. However the rest of the thread seems to be about getting the achievement for not using the NPCs to make it easier.

Defeating Self Doubt

Khisanth.2948

I had a bug where the illusions displayed no change in cursor or highlighting, so if you don’t stand near them there is no way to know they can be interacted with.

Might be that you ran into the same problem? Restarting helped.

I’ve ran up to one or two and never got any sort of interact prompt either.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The most garbage fight created up to date. Like what were they thinking? Development inside a box with no play testers…

Agree. Got so frustrated using my main (Ranger) I just forced quit out to take a break. Come back to try again and it’s the same old garbage, start from the beginning , redo previous test, can’t skip cut scenes. Guess I’ll grab my warrior or just forget about it for a while. Hope the exp doesn’t continue with this.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Agree. Got so frustrated using my main (Ranger) I just forced quit out to take a break. Come back to try again and it’s the same old garbage, start from the beginning , redo previous test, can’t skip cut scenes. Guess I’ll grab my warrior or just forget about it for a while. Hope the exp doesn’t continue with this.

It’s one of the easiest fights in the game. Interact with the NPCs to gain a special action ability, then simply kill it. Ignoring that mechanic and brute forcing it is the optional achievement.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Enjoy the thread now, because it won’t be long before we get dozens of posts saying “I figured it out in 3 minutes because I’m amazing!” Followed by chastising remarks about hand holding.

Generally, though, this games community is helpful and it’s awesome.

I’d only believe the first person within 4 hours of the update/new content actually saying that. Anyone else, I’d just shrug and say.. “and there’s yet another lie.”

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It’s one of the easiest fights in the game. Interact with the NPCs to gain a special action ability, then simply kill it. Ignoring that mechanic and brute forcing it is the optional achievement.

Without any idea you can even interact with the npcs, its the most garbage encounter ingame.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Catastro.8410

Catastro.8410

I didn’t have too bad of a time, it’s just that I spent an embarrassing 10+ minutes with no clue how to get past this. It wasn’t until I decided to actually try to figure out what what’s her face was trying to tell me that ran up to a ghost and realized what I had to do.

I really enjoyed the idea behind the fight, but it’s execution had much to be desired with how vague it is.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: codiac.5642

codiac.5642

I got fearless on my ranger first time through, accidentally really, because I’m too dim to workout the easy way. It took forever though.

I stood face to face, with 25 stacks, and let my pets kill her. Being up close makes the long bow weak, dropped healing spring when it proc’ed. I had wyvern and drake, burn baby, burn, I didn’t control the pets anyway except to F2 and swap them, and they died a lot. Probably the TSPCA is looking for me for that.

I have Dwayna Karma armor, probably not optimal for much, so I think being up close to reduce the damage is the key … that and being willing to stand around for an age basically doing nothing (I may have swapped to GS for a good bash in the face from time to time).

HOD since beta

Defeating Self Doubt

Khisanth.2948

Without any idea you can even interact with the npcs, its the most garbage encounter ingame.

I wouldn’t go that far but slowing things down to a snail’s pace has to be one of the worst design choices for trying to come up with a challenge.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Which got resolved in a recent patch.

Addressed an issue with the “Shining Blade Secrets” instance in which the Images of Guilt were not immediately obvious as being part of the fight’s mechanic. These creatures will now display a marker over their heads—and at their location on the minimap—when they are able to be interacted with.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: samesugo.5432

samesugo.5432

Fearless achievement made with Berserker Elementalist Staff
Fire: 1-1-1
Air: 3-2-2
Tempest: 3-3-3
Mango Pie and Peppermint Oil
Not Ice Bow and not Fire Sword
Make as many dps as possible when him be vulnerable
Ty
:)

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Neutra.6857

Neutra.6857

Finally got the Fearless achieve on my staff ranger. Basically I ran around and kept myself alive until 25 stacks, then used two pets the wyvern and the pink moa to kill. I mainly focused on keeping the two alive, timing skill 5 on the staff for rapid fire then using the stuns of each pet as well as three traps, fire trap, spike trap and entangle. The wyvern can survive about two rapidfires while the moa can only survive 1 unless you are lucky with the heals, so watch the switches to make sure you keep the pets alive. With those two about the time one is going to die is when the switch goes off cooldown. The last skill I had was a signet to help me regain health over time.

(edited by Neutra.6857)

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Gadian.4792

Gadian.4792

I got the achi with my berserker mesmer (domi/insp/duel) on sword+sword / sword+pistol. Had ethereal heal and foods to give me constant healing to make it trough the fight until 25 stacks. After that I kited and waited for sword#2 to come from cd, destroyed all the clones to get the buff to wear down and hit with sword#2, brought out clones I could, rinse and repeat. Didn’t really bother about breaking the cc bar, it only ceases the attacks but doesn’t affect the buff.

Gadi ~ the pink norn of Desolation
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA]

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Mindbender.9632

Mindbender.9632

What I find amusing is that Anet changed the game for Legendary Defender of Ascalon in GW1 because they didn’t want a title showing “wow I’ve died like 10000 times”.

Now they give us an achievement called “Fearless” for constantly running away…see the irony?

Not complaning though, I got it on warrior. Takes a while, but you’ll make it in the end.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

Found a way to do it finaly on my rev. tried condi but couldnt quite burst it down befor stacks got high due to my shadow being sword mainhand and evading too much with UA at inconvenient times. However one time I tried to run out of the room to try and reset for a new attempt and my shadow reset but not the guilt stacks/ghosts. they kept blasting me till 25.

now I was geting alacrity and my shadow was back to doing only slightly more damage than regeneration would cover. did malax/glint mace/axe with most of my time in glint for regeneration. I’d pop to malax to give him a UA and EtD and heal whenever CD’s came up and otherwise plinked him with my weapon skills on CD. Still took about 10 min or so after I reengaged on top of however long it takes to hit 25 stacks. Also ended up useing my celestial armor to give a bit more toughness and healing power

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

with enough dmg per skill, fearless is ez.
If you dont want that achieve, go punch the rude ghosts.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Vagrant.8613

Vagrant.8613

I finished the Fearless achievement on my condi viper druid. Short bow & axe/torch. Glyph of empowerment & alignment & signet of the wild & entangle. Electric wyvern and smokescale for pets (I would suggest switching out the smokescale for something like the wolf that has better CC).

Step 1: enter combat
Step 2: exit combat by going into the hall. Self doubt will break aggro and heals itself.
Step 3: Wait in hall as you build up 25 stacks of the debuff so you get alacrity

Step 4: Enter combat – Wait until all your skills are recharged before attacking. The first thing you need to do it break his breakbar. Electric wyvern and axe skill 3 should be able to break his bar. Once broken, unload all your condis on him.

Step 5: When all your skills are on cooldown, stop attacking and bring your pet back. Use your pet as a meat shield!!!! Use F1 and F3 to position your pet as a shield. Switch pets every 19s so your pet doesn’t die. Repeat step 4 when all skills are recharged.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Ayin.2106

Ayin.2106

I rarely complain on the forums about boss fights and such but I have to say that for a ranger/druid the fearless achievement is impossible to do. I’d love for a game developer to show us rangers how to do the fight. I’m not using any dmg abilities until the break bar is gone so the boss won’t get any damage resistance boons on him, yet the best I manage is 50%.

If any ranger/druid has any advice here, feel free to share. If this achievement is only for warriors or something, I think you’ve done something wrong ArenaNet.

I hope you have found a way by now but if not, I have a video up where I use my condi ranger to get it done
Basically I use my pets (Electric Wyvern/Pink Moa) & shortbow’s Concussion Shot or Spike Trap to break the bar. Then at 0% I drop all my condis on him. Then wait till break bar is green again & repeat.
It’s really important that the Dynamic Defense buff does not stack up to 20 or he takes 0 damage.
I tried to also make use of swapping pets/weapons to reduce the wait for skills to recharge.
Good luck!

AyinMaiden @ [US] Blackgate
http://www.youtube.com/ayinmaiden

(edited by Ayin.2106)

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: skymuker.5084

skymuker.5084

I don’t understand why thief’s weapon skills get cooldowns. Thief relies on initiative, doesn’t he? Would be grateful for advises how to get the achievement playing Daredevil/Thief.

Defeating Self Doubt

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

You can’t dodge the hands, your only worry for this fight is having enough sustain to outlast your clones attacks while you dps.

For Mesmer I used zerk chrono and managed to kill it fairly easily. First CC burst I take it down to 69%, and each burst after that reduces how many percent I can take it down by 4% or 5%, so the encounter totally takes about 4 cc bar breaks, which is about 8 or 10 minutes I think.