Deleting a maxed Chef for another craft?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Hi Folks,

I’m relatively new to GW2. I’ve only been playing 5 months, but I am really loving it. I wish I had taken the leap from GW1 sooner!

Anyway, I’ve maxed out my Chef crafting and I’m about 180 with Huntsman as my other craft. I’m just wondering if I learn another crafting ability instead of Chef, am I going to really regret it?

I know I can make more characters and have them learn more crafts, but I’m terrible at deleting characters and re-rolling them.

I guess I’m wondering if Chef is really a big deal? I had great fun in learning combinations, but I’m a bit over it now and wonder if I am missing out on potential profit by not utilizing this craft?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Anx

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

You can learn every crafting on the same character. You can have two active only (three with the gemstore upgrade) but you can switch between the actives any time.

Posted by: Kry.1697

Kry.1697

You can make Cooking “inactive”. I think you just talk with a new craftsman and then get an option which one you want to deactivate of your current disciplines. You can learn all of them on a single character but switching between them will cost you a bit of coin. At least that is how it was before. I could be mistaken as I havent paid attention to crafting in forever it seems. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

(edited by Kry.1697)

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It doesn’t get deleted unless you are deleting that character. It costs some silver to switch back to it at any time assuming you aren’t fleeting your character, and just want to have more than 2 crafts on one character.

anx.7549

Oh, I had no idea. Thank you. I assumed if I changed crafting I’d lose my levels. Oh ok, I feel stupid now! Thanks Serenke.

Anx

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Your crafting level is saved I believe, you just change a fee to change the two currently active. So you dont need to create another char for it.

That said, its easiest to have multiple crafts over multiple chars. Said it before, saying it again – the best money spent in the gemstore is not on fancy parade armor, its on extra character slots so you have 1 for each profession which in turn can learn 2 different trades. That will give you all professions, all trades, max fun.

anx.7549

Dawdler that is good advice. I have bought another slot, but I am terrible at creating and deleting characters. I truly believe this should be an achievement as I’d be legendary status by now!

Anx

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

You can have your character learn all crafts and have to pay 40 silver (not sure if that changed) to switch back to one of the other crafts. But there’s also the Additional Crafting License in the gemstore: Increases the number of active crafts of all characters.
My ranger is leatherworker, weaponsmith and huntsman and I used the switching option exactly once.
I use all of the crafts, the ones I use the most are artificier for concentrated luck, leatherworker/tailor/armorsmith to craft damask, weaponsmith to craft superior sharpening stones and cook for the buff food I need in wvw or in dungeons.

Maybe try the option to learn an additional craft but some are very expensive, there are websites which list the costs of learning each craft, maybe check it out and decide whether you rather want to let your character learn a third craft or if you want a second character for that. In case you didn’t know: there’s makeover kits which let you change the looks and gender but not the race and class of your characters.
Edit: And also a “Name Change Contract” which lets you rename your character.

(edited by Jana.6831)

anx.7549

Thanks Jana for that information. I did indeed check and it was 40 silver. I’m looking at getting the crafting license when I have enough coin or gems.

Anx

Posted by: mickyluv.7068

mickyluv.7068

You get 5 character slots, there are 8 trades. You can create 3 additional characters to the one you have already, and use them to level your crafting. They only have to do the opening tutorial mission, and then you can park them in their racial city (or LA) and funnel goods to them to level them up.

Once you’ve spent a bit of time and cash on leveling their crafting to useful levels, you’ll be less inclined to delete them.

Plus you have that 5th slot for rerollitis

Problem solved.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Both approaches have merit.

Splitting up crafting skills among different characters:
PROS:
+ no need to pay 40-50 silver to switch to a max rank craft
+ easy access to every crafting skill

CONS:
- you have to keep track on who has what crafting skill (minor anoyance)
- you need to be carfeul who learns what scematic (major anoyance)
- you need to relog multiple times when forging things like legendarys etc
- no real benefit of having 1-2 bonus crafting skills per character active

Keeping crafting skills on 1 character:
PROS:
+ you can learn every scematic and recepie with only your main crafter
+ access to every crafting skill at all time (after switching) means no reason to relog when crafting legendarys etc.
+ with +1-2 extra crafts active you can have access

CONS:
- 40-50 silver for relearning a maxed crafting skill

I personally prefer option 2 since, unless you craft from every single profession every day, you can generally pick the most needed crafts. Gets a lot more viable once you get the +2 crafting skill for your account. But as said, both approaches are viable. The biggest drawback of splitting stuff up is recepies and having to be very careful who learns what.