Dev's Wasting Time & Effort?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of thinking about GW2 and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not happy with the current state of game play… or lack there of! All my thought has been focused on Anet giving us NEW content to keep it’s endgame players happy… As you can well imagine, I’ve been playing since BETA, so about a year and a half of having really little to do in the game (along with a break away from the game between living story chapters), I’m getting pretty bored and starting to really question whether I want to continue investing time into the game…

BUT THEN

I thought back to when I first started playing the game and how exciting it all was with the personal story. Then when they started the living story updates it was great… They added SAB, Wintersday events, Halloween etc… it was all really fun for a time…

BUT THEN

ANet took it all away… Some content never to be seen again!

I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!

Now we have all sat here and listened to people siding with ANet stating “They don’t have enough dev’s to keep up with demand” and every time I hear that I cringe and say “Well then WHY in Tryia’s Name are they making temporary content?” It just doesn’t make sense to me that there are not enough dev’s to keep up with the demand for new content so instead they remove content from the game… Giving us less to do!

PLEASE TELL ME I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE REALISING THIS!

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

A few examples (and I’m not gonna bring up SAB) of this would be: Scarlet’s Invasion, The Aetherblade Dungeon, The Dredge Dungeon… etc…
Yes, Yes “it’s been added to Fractals” but still, there are a lot more events and stuff that happened during the living world events (like the Marionette) that are no longer part of the game and will likely never be seen again…

WHY!? ARGH IT HURTS MY BRAIN!

Anyone can come up with the simple story “The inquest moved in to experiment with the Marionette device and have reactivated it” and TA-DA you keep that content in the game… Players will be more forgiving of lame excuses to keep/bring back old content just because it’s something more for them to do!

I guess the overall point i’m trying to make is that ANet Dev’s are spending a lot of time creating these events for us and then taking them away so we are all back to square one… which is basically where I started after BETA… But this time I’ve already completed it all which leave me with… What? Farming Legendaries, or Achievements, using Guild Wars as a glorified Chat Room to talk to guild members. Run Champ or Meta trains? All of these are simply BORING.

Now I’m certain someone out there will say “Well find another game then” so I’ll save you the time and state, I don’t want to find another game… I have been a Guild Wars player since Guild Wars Prophecies. What I want is for ANet to take a step back and see the existing content that already have and have put in and removed and basically RECYCLE it.

If you want a story based excuse to put them back in I’d be more than happy to come up with some drivel for you to use just for the sake of putting it back in. Just PLEASE stop pushing yourselves to give us new content all the time and save yourself A LOT of time and effort and focus a couple of weeks on the existing content.

Give us replayable personal stories, with additional bonus challenges (just like LS now), allow us to unlock all paths of the personal story. Add in an additional mission at the end to allow us access to ALL the orders NPC’s and teleports (I’m the Commander of the Pact, so why do 2 of the orders hate me?) bring back the dungeons you took away… perhaps add some new paths. allow us to access an instance for the Lions Arch events and to replay Scarlet. Have Scarlet’s invasions put back in, the Marionette reactivated… and any other stuff I have missed.

Before you respond to this post, please take a moment to think back to the previous living story and ask yourself “is there something I’d like them to bring back?” Because, although there are some things I wouldn’t even care about them adding back in, there are other things I would. We are all different and enjoyed different sections of the living story content. But ANet will not take time out to add it back in unless they know we want it back!

So ANet PLEASE… THINK!!! – You have done some amazing work in the past and now it’s nothing! People don’t bake a cake, spend hours decorating it and then when it’s finally done, take a photo and promptly throw it in the bin… So why would you do that with all your time and effort?

I can’t speak for all players, so I only speak for myself when I say “I’d rather have a game full of crap content, than a game with no content” at present we have a great game but with very little content because you keep removing it… All i can say is “Was it really worth putting the time in at all, as right now you have nothing to show for it. The Living World promised that it would change Tyria FOREVER… I didn’t realise Forever would be such a short period of time”

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Personally, I believe that Anet is working on something larger in the background, something great. Many of their lead game designers / artists have been absent from the living story updates, and are still working for the company. Something big is coming, I have to believe it – even though I am perfectly fine with the way the game is (have been playing since betas, headstart, etc)

Magummadweller

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

AHH – I think you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater. There will be Halloween this year and Wintersday. As far as SAB, A.NET said it was temporary content, so the people complaining ignored that fact. They only heard what they wanted to. A.Net said SAB may be back – who knows.

You are an alarmist and aggressive for the sake of being that way. A.Net has put in content, just not what YOU WANT, so it is junk. A bit of an ‘Entitled’ attitude there.

The LS is changing Tyria, look at LA, have you done the latest installment (go see the Pale Tree afterwards). That is the point about a living, breathing world, much of what happens is temporary. Look at flowers in the RL, temporary and beautiful at the same time or the seasons.

It seems what you want is the ‘classic end game’ which is grind gear. Sorry no thank you. I have done that in the past and am happy to off that treadmill.

If you can’t enjoy the game for the sake a playing a game, I suggest walking away for a bit. You seem to have too much invested (emotionally) and this is not healthy at all.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think if they had left the Marionette, etc. in, people would be calling it ‘boring crap’, just as they do all the other ‘permanent’ content.

The parts of Living Story Season One I, personally, would like to see again would not make sense to have been left in the world. Ha ha, I enjoyed things most people didn’t like.

Probably, a lot of things seem enticing for the very reason they are no longer available. /shrug

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Scarlet’s invasions at this point would make less than zero sense. We killed her. She’s gone. There’s no more invasions. Same with the other stuff about Scarlet. And you know, people couldn’t wait to get rid of her.

At any rate, I also think Anet is working on something much bigger.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

If they recycled content, there would be just as many people complaining about how they’ve seen it all before and Anet is doing nothing with their time but reusing old things.

The situation is lose lose for the, atm.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

My suspicion in this regard is that they are hard at work building a Real Life theme park (or possibly several, located at strategic theme park locations all around the world) complete with fun rides (most of which are based on some of the popular jumping puzzles and dungeon paths) and exciting re-enactments of key Guild Wars historical events!

Guild Wars 2: The Living World LIVE!

I’d go.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Sethren.8472

Sethren.8472

I would have to heartily agree with those saying that recycled content would just add more ammunition in your kitten nal.

For example, Blizzard Entertainment is notorious for “recycling old content” (ie, how many times did the players have to kill Onyxia? Three?). Players complain that there’s nothing new. Now ANet is keeping things fresh in the game room, and there are complaints for wanting old content. It’s one of those “kittened if you do, and kittened if you don’t” situations.

On Scarlet: in other MMOs, players would complain that their actions had no real meaning because the big baddie just respawned. Well, ANet actually made that kill matter, and you’re complaining. See the issue? Gripe if they do, and gripe if they don’t. Why not save yourself a great deal of frustration, and relax. Enjoy the ride, and be content with what you have. Then, when new stuff does come, you’ll have that same excitement that you had when the “old” content was new.

Level another toon, and join a different order. See the story from a different point of view. There’s a bunch of stuff to do. Or take a break. Relax

Chimeras Family – Korvaseth (Mes), Sethren (Necro)
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The idea that we (as players) would have ANY say on what anyone at Anet does with their work time is laughable….

If you want to ask them to work on something, fine. Questioning how resources are used within a privately held company is absurd. I have seen more and more implication on this Forum that players seem to think this game is OWNED by the players….it is NOT. You purchased a license from ANet to play the game they develop. You have every right to discuss what you like and dislike about the game but you are not OWED anything beyond the working product you originally purchased.

The obsessive belief that the game is something more to us (as players) because we become fanatical about it is an incorrect assumption that only exists within your mind.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

On Scarlet: in other MMOs, players would complain that their actions had no real meaning because the big baddie just respawned. Well, ANet actually made that kill matter, and you’re complaining. See the issue?

Nope, don’t see it. Why couldn’t the gist of the Scarlet stuff be set up in the form of, oh, I dunno, MISSIONS that we could play and/or replay in a manner not dissimilar to the re-playable missions in ye olde Guild Wars? Not out in the middle of everything, of course. Instances. Like these new LS2 missions. Why not?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

What have I missed? All Living story content going forward is permanent. The game was sold as a ‘living world’, which was understood to mean, unapologetically, that if content was missed it was missed. (and was exemplified by early events like the Karka attack, etc.).

I’m not trying to white knight here, I just do not see the discussion of the OP being an issue anymore.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

My take:

• Great artwork
  • Great sound
  • Ok’ish QA
  • Poor story and character depth
  • Only 5 software developers in company

Given the pace of changes in two years, I estimate no more than 5 software developers are left employed post launch. Software-wise, only the wardrobe deserves any mention.

Currently the game is as-is. Nothing meaningful will ever change and new players warned for a grindy late-game to get anything.

Of These

Class balance: poor (hyper difficult ele vs foreheadroll warrior, where the later survives and moves more, with why play anything else notion)
Personal story: poor (shallow story, 1-liners, annoying cast, credit taken away from you, meaningless characters along way, final epic glorious prize is one 4-silver worth yellow item)
Living story: poor (shallow characters, 1-liners, juvenile dialog level, story goes slowly nowhere but sand)
Holidays: poor on 2013 onwards (Halloween 2013, need I add?)
New dungeons: 0
New weapons: 0
New weapon skills: 0
New races: 0
New professions: 0
Fractal reset compensation: 0 (never forget)

Overall; I would not recommend buying GW2 to any new player.

(edited by Korossive.7085)

Dusty Moon.4382

My take:

• Great artwork
  • Great sound
  • Ok’ish QA

Given the pace of changes in two years, I estimate no more than 5 software developers are left employed post launch. Software-wise, only the wardrobe deserves any mention.

Currently the game is as-is. Nothing meaningful will ever change and new players warned for a grindy late-game to get anything.

Of These

Class balance: poor (hyper difficult ele vs foreheadroll warrior, where the later survives and moves more, with why play anything else notion)
Personal story: poor (shallow story, 1-liners, annoying cast, credit taken away from you, meaningless characters along way, final epic glorious prize is one 4-silver worth yellow item)
Living story: poor (shallow characters, 1-liners, juvenile dialog level, story goes slowly nowhere but sand)

Ele’s are supposed to be hard to play. After all they have 4 attunements to work with – so 4X the skills that others professions have. A memser is hard to play also. A warrior is easy to play just not easy to play well is all. Class balance in this game is fine. If you think it is not, go play ESO or AA currently and watch how you get facerolled.

Why are you here if all you have is negative comments? Why don’t you save yourself some time and agony and play another game.

Brother Grimm.5176

The idea that a classes “balance” has anything to do with the difficulty to play them just means you have no idea what “balance” actually means….

Posted by: Goose.9317

Goose.9317

I really wish they would make use of the assets they already have and turn Tower of Nightmares into a raid-esque instance in Fractals. Completing it could give you more fractal rewards than regular fractals and they could limit it to 10 players. I think that would be really neat. I mean the assets are there and they have fractals in place to avoid lore discrepancies, I think it is a great way for them to implement some great dungeons with past content.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Questioning how resources are used within a privately held company is absurd.

Why, because they’re incapable of doing things wrong?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Dusty Moon.4382

No because you have NO STAKE in what they do – at all., It is up to the parent company and board to hold their feet to the fire not yours.

Dusty Moon.4382

The idea that a classes “balance” has anything to do with the difficulty to play them just means you have no idea what “balance” actually means….

I was just pointing out that an ele is hard to play is all. The game is pretty balanced as it is. Could it be better, hell yes!!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m not saying that Devs are wasting directly their time.
But I could say, they haven’t quite their priorities there, where they should be in my opinion currently.

If ANet so far wasted in my opinion any time, then I would say, they wasted alot with Season 1, it should have ended sooner so they would have had more time to bring sooner the Feature Packs ect. or would have had time to add some more interestign stuff, like Housing, Order Missions and in general just simple new content, that keeps the players busy for long time, or that way they would have had more time for Redesigns of Dungeons, or a Redesign of the Personal Story in the kind of way how Living Story works now with beign replayable, having better rewards, added new Challenges for the replay with new Achievements and definetely a redesigned Zhaitan Battle would have been all thing,s that could have been possible in the time, that Anet wasted with Season 1.
Season 1 in my opinion is something, that Anet could have skipped even completed and they could have better started with the current LS2 as LS1 just from a lore/story viewpoint in overall seen (would require some changes naturally, but I guess, the whole Living Story Feature would have been seen by the community in a much better light, if the game would have started with the current season as season 1, season 1 with scarlet basically just ruined too much the first important impression for many people and just wasnt a good start and wasn’t also really, what many people wanted at all, because still many people wish alot more, that the personal story continues, over gettign now one livign story season after another and makign basically the personal story so obsolete, that also many people already wish ,that personal and living story should get merged into just 1 system…)

In my opinion, anet should reset their priorities, now where the LS is in a break and make this break for now just longer, than intented, to give finally the game first its really needed polishing, that the game so far never could get, because Anet pushed themself too much always to keep the LS running.

Its time, that Anet sets the priorities right and looks deeper into the materia of the game to polish those things, that are in dire need of getting reworked for now:

Of Top Priority are in my opinion right now:

• Significant Changes and Adds of Content for SPvP
    - Needs more different Gameplay Modes, not just only new Maps every now ‘n’ then, like: Dueling Collosseum, Codex Arena, Last Man Standing-All vs. All PvP, GvG
    - Seperate Skill/Trait Balancing with seperate Skill/Trait Versions only for SPvP so that changes there stop to be automatically balancing Fiascos for the rest of the Game, cause Anet keeps on balancing the Game with SPvP in mind and not with the whole game in mind, cause they still try to force this game into some kind of Wannabe-ESport, what Video games will never be, only because you let some people play in some self made tournaments with money/item rewards
  • Significant WvW Changes
    - Redesign of the Borderlands and Battleground including improvements from EotM
    - Class specific WvW Traits to improve the Class Roles for WvW
    - Making Defense in WvW finally same as worthful as Offense and provide rewards for tasks, that are currently rewardless, basically include these tasks as WvW Traits to improve them into the gameplay of WvW as rewarding tasks
    - Add a few new Maps, SPvP got several new Maps, WvW just only 1… would be doable, if ANet would redesign the Borderlands to become 3 different maps, really, who wants 3x the same map?? Through Color Rotation can be just each world once in every place, therefore we dont need 3x the same map, we don’t need “Homelands”. More different maps would be alot more useful, than to have a homeland map thats exactly the same like all the other borderlands)
  • Bug Fixing, Clipping Fixes and adding of Features that the game needs
    There are a ton of Quality of Life improvements and stuff that GW2 could need, other features which would improve the Endgame State of GW2 and adds new things also there to give the game a real endgame state, like it used to have one in GW1 with highend locations to explore, like the Underworld, the Realm of Torment and so on. Places that are challenging is what GW2 needs as Endgame Content, and if you have not the time for new explorable locations, than use your time to make existing content more challenging by redesigning more of the dungeons, which are in dire need of that. Just removing 1 way out of twilight garden in favor for a new redesigned one won’t be enough.

In general, I’d like to see alot of the things that we all together have discussed in various CDI’s getting implemented as fruits of our discussions, especially also in regard of any forms of character progression

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Brother Grimm.5176

Of course not….your implication that my statement is one of defending ANY action by Anet is also absurd.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I would have to heartily agree with those saying that recycled content would just add more ammunition in your kitten nal.

For example, Blizzard Entertainment is notorious for “recycling old content” (ie, how many times did the players have to kill Onyxia? Three?). Players complain that there’s nothing new. Now ANet is keeping things fresh in the game room, and there are complaints for wanting old content. It’s one of those “kittened if you do, and kittened if you don’t” situations.

On Scarlet: in other MMOs, players would complain that their actions had no real meaning because the big baddie just respawned. Well, ANet actually made that kill matter, and you’re complaining. See the issue? Gripe if they do, and gripe if they don’t. Why not save yourself a great deal of frustration, and relax. Enjoy the ride, and be content with what you have. Then, when new stuff does come, you’ll have that same excitement that you had when the “old” content was new.

Level another toon, and join a different order. See the story from a different point of view. There’s a bunch of stuff to do. Or take a break. Relax

I understand what you are saying, but in that same vein, why keep the PS then ? Zaitan is gone, and it was BEFORE Scarlet so why keep it ?

I think they should really make LS1 available to replay for those that didnt get the chance, esp as people like Me, who started after LS1 have no idea who these Lesbian hero’s are ?

What happened to Eir and Zojja and Rytlock etc etc, why do we have this other band of misfits ?

see what I mean, we new people jump from PS to LS2 and have no connection.

Also replaying the PS but changing choices or unlocking the other Factions / orders would be good, especially as making new toons to do the other 2 orders with this Puppyed up new trait system is so not happening !!

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Pretty much the whole April Feature Pack was a colossal waste of time and energy. Really looking forward to the September one.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You been saying that last year.

Dusty Moon.4382

Pretty much the whole April Feature Pack was a colossal waste of time and energy. Really looking forward to the September one.

To you it was – maybe to other’s it wasn’t. Please state your opinion as that, not as a fact.

Bellizare.5816

To you it was – maybe to other’s it wasn’t. Please state your opinion as that, not as a fact.

IN MY OPINION> Pretty much the whole April Feature Pack was a colossal waste of time and energy. Really looking forward to the September one.

R U happy now?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

And last year they were, you saw the results in April. Those kinds of changes aren’t programmed in a week or two.

laokoko.7403

And last year they were, you saw the results in April. Those kinds of changes aren’t programmed in a week or two.

I’m not the one complaining. Other people are complaining about the lack of content they want. Or the lack of content. Or they think the April patch is lackster.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Personally, I believe that Anet is working on something larger in the background, something great. Many of their lead game designers / artists have been absent from the living story updates, and are still working for the company. Something big is coming, I have to believe it – even though I am perfectly fine with the way the game is (have been playing since betas, headstart, etc)

I just hope they ain’t working on a totally different game tbh >.>

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Bellizare.5816

I’m not the one complaining. Other people are complaining about the lack of content they want. Or the lack of content. Or they think the April patch is lackster.

From April, re-trait on the fly and second slot for 2 handers (which is not a new concept, for instance the late, great WHO).

Bellizare.5816

Well, what if it’s a better game?

tolunart.2095

What I means is that the devs have been constantly working on “big projects” since the game launched. The projects themselves change, but they are being worked on. People, especially younger generations, have become trained to expect instant responses, instant results, but to make big changes to a living, interactive program like an MMO takes a lot of time and effort, and sometimes things happen in the background that change the direction of other things that we never even see.

No one at Anet is ignoring the game, or wasting players’ time. But people need to realize that what an individual wants is not always what is best for the game, and sometimes not possible to put into the game without breaking other things.

laokoko.7403

What I means is that the devs have been constantly working on “big projects” since the game launched. The projects themselves change, but they are being worked on. People, especially younger generations, have become trained to expect instant responses, instant results, but to make big changes to a living, interactive program like an MMO takes a lot of time and effort, and sometimes things happen in the background that change the direction of other things that we never even see.

No one at Anet is ignoring the game, or wasting players’ time. But people need to realize that what an individual wants is not always what is best for the game, and sometimes not possible to put into the game without breaking other things.

That’s what I been saying. You guys are talking about how the game will get better, and there are big project working on the background etc etc. Which is the same thing being said, last year, or even more than that 18 month ago.

Regardless if the players are self entitled for more content. I think people get sick of hearing "it’ll get better, and new hidden big project coming soon. Remember the time marketing says “an expansion worth of content” and everyone get hyped? well player are disappointed, and the dev come out and apologize even saying they dont’ meant to say that, the marketing make them said it.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Personally I feel like some of you are absolutely nuts. I am still having g a blast in game on a daily basis. I do not feel as if development time has been wasted in the leaat. Sure there have been implementations I did not personally ally enjoy, but I know there are many who enjoyed what I did not. Just because some of you do not care for some of the develipment, does not mean millions of others haven’t. In my opinion, it is a bit self centered to assume simply because you do not like the changes implemented, that they are “wasting their time”.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

tolunart.2095

There have been numerous improvements made to the game. Two big ones from recent updates: the wardrobe – you can now use any unlocked skin on multiple toons. Then there’s the ability to go back and replay past chapters of the LS – casual players can unlock it by logging in once and going back when they have time instead of feeling pressured to spend all their free time grinding for rewards/achievements before they go away.

These are massive changes to the game that have been requested by many players on and off the forums. Not everyone wants these things, not everyone cares about them, but part of growing up is realizing that you are not the center of the universe. There are a lot of players in this game, and those improvements make the game better for most of them.

As for marketing hype, if you fall for it then it’s not the devs’ fault. Advertising and marketing hype goes way beyond this game and the MMO genre. And while I have your attention, I’m collecting donations for my efforts to ban the dangerous chemical dihydrogen monoxide. This killer must be stopped.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

You got a point :P

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My take:

• Great artwork
  • Great sound
  • Ok’ish QA

Of These

Ele’s are supposed to be hard to play. After all they have 4 attunements to work with – so 4X the skills that others professions have. A memser is hard to play also. A warrior is easy to play just not easy to play well is all. Class balance in this game is fine. If you think it is not, go play ESO or AA currently and watch how you get facerolled.

Why are you here if all you have is negative comments? Why don’t you save yourself some time and agony and play another game.

I don’t even know what to make of this post, but we obviously know there are more devs than 5 because we’ve seen them. And the content that was put in and removed from the game would take more than the work of five devs. Your concepts are simply that the content they’re working on is not the content you like, which is fine by me, because it is the content I like. I wouldn’t care if Anet ever made a new dungeon.

Bellizare.5816

You got a point :P

If it’s better I might play it?

And so might you : )

(edited by Bellizare.5816)