Developer Livestream Discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Nerfing AoE is dirrectly killing Engineers, Guardians and is making the staff build unusable with Necros, Eles and Mesmers. Do you know why there’s so little staff users in the game? AoE’s on those do close to NO damage. Now essentially what you’re doing is saying “Play Warrior. They’re OP. We let them stay there” effectively making your game very poorly balanced. I strongly suggest rethinking what you’re doing, taking a staff and seeing what actual damage it puts out.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This AoE “fix” seems like a cover up for lazy WvW development. The dungeon argument is incredibly stupid as AoE is only used on groups of enemies (not counting eles who have no choice but to use AoE on single targets) where it should be.

The dungeon argument is stupid because they could change the encounter design to cater for aoes rather than nerf the ability.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

This AoE “fix” seems like a cover up for lazy WvW development. The dungeon argument is incredibly stupid as AoE is only used on groups of enemies (not counting eles who have no choice but to use AoE on single targets) where it should be.

The dungeon argument is stupid because they could change the encounter design to cater for aoes rather than nerf the ability.

The thing is, I feel that the dungeons already cater to AoEs. What encounter isn’t filled with tons of enemies all with massive health pools?

I just get the impression that they are looking at the stats from WvW that say most damage is done by AoE and are over-reacting to it. The best way to fix this is to change the objective not the classes. As it is, AoE is the only means to dealing with what they have deemed a fun play tactic (zergs).

Posted by: sammael.7136

sammael.7136

Lots of talk about pvp which I loathe, don’t participate in and consider it the thing that ruins the game experience the most. I want my time wasted watching this back.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

AOE nerfs aside, I really think this was a horrible fail from Anet’s PR department.

1) Live streams are used either to immediatly communicate with audience or to cast some huge event. It is not used to create videoblog-like content. If you wanted to create a video with developers talking about the future of GW2 – Youtube would’ve been a much better place to do it.

2) The whole stream announcement was really strange and hasty. Why there’s no news on the main page of guildwars2.com? Why it’s just a one time pop-up alert that I almost missed? Who does things like that? Is this a real game studio or some indie guys, casting from garage?

3) Why did you created a questions thread only during the stream? It would be much better to let the community create a list of hot issues and let devs a couple of days to figure some nice answers on video. It’s as if no one actually thought this “stream” thingie through.

Overall, I feel that Anet’s community managers are doing a very poor job in actually managing the community and communication between devs and players.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

While I always appreciate when developers take the time to speak with their customers overall the information was not really worth my time.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I’m pretty sure devs are reading this thread but none will say anything about DR, just look. Five months in and we’re still talking about it… sad.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I’d just like to comment on what they said about engineers:

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

It seems like none of the my major concerns with the game were addressed (e.g., the unreasonable cost for ascended gear, the lack of a lfg system, the flawed legendary system, and the most brutal and unrewarding RNG I have ever seen in a B2P title—or most F2P ones!) As a PVEer, it seems like you are actually making the game more frustrating, especially since you’ve said nothing to indicate that the promised ascended gear isn’t going to come in those RNG boxes.

I’m downloading The Secret World right now. I don’t know which game I’ll stick with in the end, but the sad thing is that before Lost Shores and the nightmarish ascended grind there wouldn’t have even been a question.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well, I’ll wait to see actual numbers on how AoE will be affected, but the information that was provided did not inspire confidence that ANet is either interested in fun or is all that in touch with their own game.

If AoE is being over-utilized it is for two reasons. One, there are a lot of target rich environments. Two, the attack skills are mostly tied to weapon choices. If you are using a weapon that has 1 or more AoE, of course you use the AoE’s when they’re off cooldown because the flipping alternative is to just use the bloody auto-attack all the time.

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Anet wants to balance for 5v5 so they don’t want AOE to hit every player on the other team if they all stood on 1 point.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Anet wants to balance for 5v5 so they don’t want AOE to hit every player on the other team if they all stood on 1 point.

But… why would any good players want to stand all on the same point?

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Anet sure thinks so.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

They could add some type of magic shield over conquest points. That reduces AOE damage in just that area.

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

I am very worried about the future of the necro is the AoE nerf hits them in any form. Using a series of wells and marks in the battlefield seems to be the only thing on the necro that I feel was done right. It is what makes the class enjoyable and playable. This could very well kill the class!

Posted by: Serron.5498

Serron.5498

What follows is what I would love to see in the game, and what I am very worried about.

The new achievements and new content for guilds etc seems very interesting, and I am eager to see the changes.

Dungeons:
Removing rez rushing: Oh god I love this change! Even though this was not really a problem in most dungeons, it was awful for some others. The most obvious one would be in arah path 4 after the second boss, a huge enemy group would come so close to the waypoint dieing did not even matter.

“Nerfing challenging encounters”: This is one of the things I worry about the most. Dungeons are already too easy as it is. You can really throw any group together (in which all players have reached the appropriate level) and you will beat the dungeon, guaranteed. There are very few exceptions to this (arah; CoF path 3, which most people only don’t succeed in because they do not understand it) and those are currently the most fun dungeons because they actually provide a challenge. Mindlessly running from encounter to encounter and spamming skills until everything is dead is not fun.
I would not suggest to make all of them more difficult, that would feel unfair towards newer players, but please, at least keep the hardest dungeons as hard as they are.

AoE abilities balancing:

I am not going to comment on spvp or wvw, I am not a very experienced player in either of those, having less than 50 hours of playtime in them probably. But I will comment on the AoE-fix in dungeons.
You said you can get past encounters by just spamming AoE…. which you actually can just as well with single-target skills, it might just take a little longer. When it comes to more difficult groups (such as the group of risen you encounter before the second boss in arah), AoE is a lot less effective than single-target skills. Taking out specific targets as fast as possible is necessary to avoid the death of the entire group.
AoE is pretty much the only way of some classes to even be or feel useful. When I play a dungeon as an elementalist I often get the impression that I am not very useful to the group simply because of my damage output, and if I focus more on damage in my build I die too quickly. Even with full power and berserker gear I can not even get close to the damage of some other classes. I have seen a warrior do 27000 damage with a single hit. As an elementalist it takes me probably a minute to deal that much damage, and even if 5 targets were to stand still in all of my AoE attacks, it would not be as much combined.

“Ele bunker really strong, on our watchlist”: The ele bunker is indeed a powerful build, but also a very difficult one to handle. It is basically a build that rewards you for your individual skill in terms of reaction time, intelligence, knowledge of other classes, knowledge of every detail of what you can do. A bunker elementalist who does not know how to handle his build dies easily and quickly; and it’s not like the experienced one is even near the best builds in the game, even though he might be the best elementalist build for more than 50% of all situations. An example: the clone-spam mesmer. I have never seen a build this powerful in 1v1 combat. The damage-output is huge, the survability is insane. I have seen a single clone-spam mesmer duel more than 20 people consecutively, then multiple people at the same time, and it was nothing but wins, wins, wins.
What I am getting at: builds that require a lot of skill and are well thought out should reward the player with better results if they have developed said skills. This is of course not only the case for d/d elementalists, a lot of classes have builds like this, and it should remain this way. Such builds motivate the player to concentrate, to learn, to grow. Without the possibility of complexity, the game would not be the same.

But hey, I do not want to sound negative in this post. I really am looking forward to new content (and bug-fixes ^^), the lfg-option sounds wonderful, and I know what I typed really are just my worries about what you might do.

And hey, if you actually read this, here is a personal suggestion/request for some time in the distant future: Add hard dungeons. Difficult, suspense-filled dungeons that are challenging in a sense that they require personal skill (somewhat like Lupicus in his second phase) and not so much a certain profession or builds (Simin, arah path 4). Challenges are what keeps a lot of people going, and I feel like this game does not have enough right now.

Thank you to everyone who read this, and tell me what you think. I am fully aware that I might be wrong about stuff. ^^

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Nerfing AOE is definitely not the answer, and I’m disappointed in ANet saying this.

in pvp, AOE can be dodged, aegised, run from, or walked from.

The aoe indicator should be made more obvious (shade the entire area red), but don’t reward window-lickers by neutering AOE.

in PVE, professions with lower survivability are compensated with AOE and balanced around it in order to hold their own, often times at the cost of single target damage. —
If you think AOE is trivializing dungeons, then you need to make the ai prefer aoe for interrupts and cc against player units

Compare a D/D elementalist to a warrior, there’s no contest.

Nerfing AOE will break the entire meta and put entire professions and weaponsets in the dustbin for MONTHS while you deal with the fallout.

I’m also very disappointed with ANet saying bunker eles are overpowered.

Eles are FORCED to spec bunker because they’re too squishy in both pve and pvp to do otherwise, and their damage to survival ratio as glass cannon builds is the worst in the game. As bunkers with defensive stats, their damage is lower for their major cooldowns than a 30/10/0/30/0 mesmer’s greatsword auto-attack.

Any boon strip spec or cc chain can kill ele.

Finally, i’m VERY disappointed that ANet is still ignoring the instagib and perma-stealth thief specs (they’re actually buffing permastealth by going after AOE damage, as if they were not bunker-ey enough being completely untargetable!)

It’s outrageous.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

It seems ANet is going about adding new pvp modes the same way Blizzard did with updated character models, both seem to think neither should be top priority when in reality they very much are. Sad that ANet only wants conquest in the game. This game is YEARS behind GW1 yet it’s newer? All of my what.

All GW fans wanted from the beginning was GvG and they won’t even give us that.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i just lost all the few faith i had in this game…

Do they play it themselves?

AOE are an issue?
Its the reason why best dungeon farmers are groups of 4 warriors and 1 guardian -.-

You pass 5 min inthe game and think that statement comes from a complete newbye, not from a dev…..

Moreover i wonder…
Are anet trying in every way he can and with every tool he has, to kitten their customers?

because people are tired of prioritizing nerfs above everything even where there are non issue (aoe in pve is ridiculous nobody ever complained) while just making class unplayable….

See engineer.

The game is good the game management is possibly the worst i ever seen in my life.

P.S. for devs…..you know certain classes you already tried to completely destroy in the past have ONLY aoes?

They have 1 build that is considered not even strong for pve…..
I’d have a mesmer too in case of horrible mistakes like eng…..(or staff ele) but what s the point of playing a game that get worse every single update?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I feel like this is some sort of joke. So backwards.

I am going to shift my mindset to believe that the game is ending when these changes take place, so I should try to get everything I want to get done before that point so I can easily leave when it all goes pear-shaped.

Posted by: IComeInPeace.1768

IComeInPeace.1768

Glad to see AE getting Dumped on in WvW. Now hopefully with the WvW progression rewards: Make it so you receive higher rewards in groups to promote more 5 mans running. Instead of the mass zerglets that cry about thiefs and other smaller centric classes/setups. Maybe after they stop zerging and start grouping, they can learn their class a little better. So far by the posts I would say that they only know the zerg game. Skilless & mindless.

GJ ANET

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I’m genuinely hurt by what is said by the developers about AoE. I have 2 lvl 80s, I worked very hard on both of them, at least 150 hours on one of them and upwards to 500 on the other. They are my favorite professions to play, my necro being my most preferred play style. I am hurt because as everyone seems to know except for devs is that necro is lacking in a lot of areas… and seem to be ignored in every update. I’m upset because my only viable build is centered around AoE (I’m using Staff/Dagger-Warhorn) It’s not overpowered, compare it to a warrior and it’s completing under powered… I have put in over 600 hours on my necro…they have really extremely bad damage as it is, their condition build is less than subpar and you keep insisting on nerfing anything we have good. I feel necro is almost as left out and forgotten as engineer…Engineer is now a joke in PvE followed by a necro which is a close second… Why don’t you write a blog post that tells us that we should just play warrior and thief because that seems to be your only reasoning.

Yeah, I might be coming to the worst conclusion but have they showed us that we can actually hope for proper balances?

Anet, I don’t want to play a warrior. I don’t want to play a thief. I want to play my necro. I want to use staff whenever I want. You are making dungeons harder and nerfing professions (most likely not on purpose since necros are very much ignored) that do not even remotely deserve it. In my personal view of this, you are making dungeons harder and making skills less effective, are we suppose to pour our heart and soul into 1 dungeon run and maybe get done with 1 path every 1-2 hours? I think most people would love do have 15-30 minute dungeon runs rather than sitting at their computer upwards of 5-6 hours just to get the max reward…

BTW there is only one good (I know, I use that term loosely here) weapon for necro, in dungeons/pve and that is staff. If you don’t know, it has 4 AoE spells.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I feel like this is some sort of joke. So backwards.

I am going to shift my mindset to believe that the game is ending when these changes take place, so I should try to get everything I want to get done before that point so I can easily leave when it all goes pear-shaped.

thought the same of ascended gear….
But it seems that anet likes to make upset their customers for no reason….

Maybe they enjoy it….eng players can confirm this.

Despite full power precision my output damage is horrible and i have only aoe….
I don t want to play a warrior…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Zaphael.8694

Zaphael.8694

I can’t understand how nerfing AOEs will stop zerging. Arguably, it raises the risk-reward calculus in favour of zerging because the amount of damage running through a hail of red rings is going to be low. The more painful AOEs are, the greater the penalties of clustering up.

Anet, please stop all this nerfing-buffing of this and that. Work on new content, work on new expansions, classes etc. I will gladly pay to buy the expansion if its fun. Introduce game elements that make the classes unique and special, instead of adjusting their firepower and defenses all the time. Its just painful.

Posted by: I Deschain I.4623

I Deschain I.4623

If they even LOOK at changing the Necro’s AOE damage i’m going to straight up kittening murder someone

This. Basically.
As a Necromancer I found myself asking what else I should do. Spreading conditions in group/zerg fights isn’t an option anymore? Does it refer to conditions too? So instead of giving five enemies a stack of five bleedings, it’s just one for everyone of these five?

3rd player NA to reach Diamond Invader (WvW Rank 6445+) on 10/29/14.
Retired.

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Has it occurred to anyone that AoE is actually too dominant in this game? That virtually every class is full of AoE skills?

And that maybe the devs would like combat to look less like carpet bombing?
Dunno. If they nerf AoE but buff single target damage or survivability where needed, it could actually be a good thing.

I would really like you to provide crystal clear examples where AOE is too dominant..and actually of much use for that matter.

Simple. Wherever and whenever there is a target. I play an elementalist and I absolutely love the class (can’t play anything else for that matter), but I do recognize that AoE is of course my #1 solution to every situation (that I have so few single target skills doesn’t help with that either). Even when there is just a single target, AoE is easier to use since it is harder to miss with and also, why not?

So it all depends on what they will do. Just reducing AoE damage won’t be enough since there are so many AoE skills it would make certain classes unplayable (nevermind builds). But if they reduce, say, AoE radius and splash damage but up main target damage, or if they even straight up replace certain AoE skills with single target high damage ones, then the change will be ok in my opinion.

It would force players to coordinate more in large events and PvP, it would force players to consider such stuff as target calling more, target priorities and order etc. instead of just blanketing the entire area in AoE spells, hoping for the best.

As for zergs, it works both ways. Main argument against zergs is that AoE is the best counter against them. This is false. AoE encourages zerging and blind fire. Just point and click, you don’t have to worry about who you are actually hitting. So the more AoE you can land on the enemy the better, and if the enemy has fewer people it simply won’t do them any good because they can’t even come close to the zerg without melting.

So bottom line, it depends how they will do it. There are good ways to do it, like shifting focus on being able to focus fire something (and in PvE it doesn’t matter if you can hit 5 targets for 50 damage each or one at a time for 250, imagine the PvP implications), and bad ways like simply nerfing AoE damage or radius, which would put classes which already specialize in single target damage at an unfair advantage over the rest.

So don’t panic until you see what they will do, that’s what I am saying.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Anet lives in its own little bubble, like most software companies and politicans, haven’t got a clue what there players want.

Nerfing AoE, really, how many players want that? Like 0, zero, nought, no one…

Nerfing anything is a bad move you always upset a % of your player base…better to buff skills that are weak / not used instead. Makes people happy, rather than upset/annoyed.

Nerfings so…NEGATIVE!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Also roll a warrior.

Such wisdom in this statement (No sarcasm either)

A Warrior for PVE and Thief for PVP. Maybe if sometime they see only these two profs used in the game and no other, they will start making “proper” fixes.

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

If they even LOOK at changing the Necro’s AOE damage i’m going to straight up kittening murder someone

This. Basically.
As a Necromancer I found myself asking what else I should do. Spreading conditions in group/zerg fights isn’t an option anymore? Does it refer to conditions too? So instead of giving five enemies a stack of five bleedings, it’s just one for everyone of these five?

Agreed. I love my modified Well’o Mancer built. My entire playstyle is built on AoE damage. worried

Sylvari for life. <3

Posted by: Obly.9243

Obly.9243

1 word: Unproffessional

No Structure, No simple straight forward answers.

If a topic is not yet cleared to discuss openly by your board, simply STATE that.

Mike Witter was the only one that said, want to say so much, but can;t. Ok fair enough.

Not a single question was really answered. just a lot of Soon this soon that.

HIRE someone to do this for the team, 1 person ASKS the question and the lead designer gives the answer IF allowed / cleared by your board.

This interview was all over the place, hopping from one thing to the other, it looked more like you 3 sat down and went, ooo lets do a twitch! it will be fun! What we gonna talk about? dunno, not 2 much, lunch is coming up.

Simple structure does wonders.

wtf…skyham….all is vain

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

Sigh

I’m a PvE elementalist and this AoE nerf is worrying me greatly. I’ve invested all my game time on my staff ele, it’s already a peashooter as it is but the aoe’s makes up for it—a bit, if it even hits, usually npcs walk outta em.

Discuss each of these topics on seperate threads and get specific feedback on each matter. You’re currently doing it wrong. Communicate more, ask the players because we’re the ones playing the game. You’re just making it less enjoyable and push people away.

If you want to make class changes, do them seperately for PvE, PvP etc like you did for the nerf on boon duration runes in PvP.

Stop crippling classes in PvE because someone whined about ‘OP this and that, NERF!’ in PvP.

Communicate more, discuss, talk to the players.

A game is supposed to be fun. You’re taking the fun part away with nerfs.

/Frustrated, unsatisfied player

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

There’s a recording of the first part of the discussion here:
http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/357921586
But I can’t find a recording for part 2… :/

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I wish they’d talked more specifically about their story plans in the forthcoming updates.

Was anything said about this? I missed the stream and only the first part seems to be up at the moment.

From what I’ve seen recently their focus seems to be on open world and dungeons PvE/sPvP and WvW with no plans for developing or adding to the story at all.

The Personal Story was a major feature and a major selling point and it seems like nothing is planned for it (for the first half of 2013 at least).

Posted by: Fault.8735

Fault.8735

come on eqnext :/

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Furthermore, why would they continue to stand there once the giant red circles warned them of impeding AoE?

Seriously, this isn’t hard to comprehend, people. Single-target damage comes with no on-screen warning, very little time to react, and is more often than not the reason for most character deaths in WvW. AoE comes with a giant red glowing circle warning everyone “hey, don’t stand here”, which offers lots of reaction time for anyone with decent reflexes, leading to very few people actually dying from a player’s AoE attacks.

AoE’s disadvantages are blatantly clear. You can’t surprise someone with Barrage (an AoE effect), you can’t hit any one target as hard, and they can roll out of the affected region which instantly kills ALL of your damage and conditions for that attack. By comparison, I could instead choose to pop one target with Rapid Fire (a single-target effect) and they’ll have a harder time dodging before I’ve knocked off a lot of their health, and my arrows would follow them as they flee so they don’t necessarily escape my damage just by rolling once. I select the tool that makes sense given the situation at hand, I am not just “spamming AoE all the time”. In fact even in zergs I often rely on Rapid Fire as often as I do Barrage, because the ability to reliably pop priority targets is a must-have.

How often do you hear people complaining about a Barrage ranger or Mark Necromancer in WvW, really? I’m pretty sure most of the complaints have centered about the absurd single-target damage of the Thief.

I will never understand how ANet’s devs could sit there and casually chuckle about the notion of nerfing every AoE skill in the entire game and the resulting player response. It’s not only unprofessional, it’s extremely worrying that they think it’s even remotely funny to make their players this angry.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

^True, my AoEs can knock 5 people down to 50% but they just heal and my skills are spent. I can’t ever kill anyone without coordination with at least 1 other player. Doesn’t matter how fast i whip out my skills, they just don’t kill anyone because of red circles, sluggishness, long cooldowns, and spread out damage.

Conversely I was hit by a Kill Shot for 14,000 today. 1 attack. 14K. What.

Posted by: the devils eye.9258

the devils eye.9258

AoE abilities balancing
One of the issues brought up a lot in WvW./sPvP is AoE (Area of Effect). We feel like they are too strong at the moment and a lot of people in WvW are gaming the system using AoEs.
For people that don’t know – max targets for siege weapons is 50 while max targets for AoE is 5.
Reducing AoE effectiveness to bring them in line with the single target damage skills.
Major update coming to all the AoE skills – make classes that are good at single target damage stand out a bit more.
Same thing with dungeons – right now if you have a lot of AoE you can past encounters by just spamming AoE which is not what we want.

Than what you want nerf every build again like in guild wars 1? you already nerfed the power build on necro nerf the condition dmg as well (to make them in line whit single target???, a thief can hit me whit full toughness armor over 10K a sec… so yes pls nerf my aoe dmg up to 10k a sec….

I really wonder why arenanet is making evrything first real nice and then kitten it all up…
And yes people spam aoe dmg in dungeons what you want us to do kill them all one by one and spend 9houres on a dungeon…. pls explain me how to kill all the endless dredge mobs whitout aoe….

So ye pls make the aoe dmg do the same dmg as thiefs whit glass canon build than talk about nerfing it down, you have a good balanced gameplay now and i like aoe i game it since gw1

And like the game is like 2 months old and you already start kittening it up…..
On necro first you nerfed the powerbuilds, now the aoe so won’t be used to game anymore and will make necro again useless in the game like in gw1 (and i an now i only game necro…

great job devs… another good game going to waste….

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

Devs, please take note of the community response on this one. There isnt one group of players who are yelling NERF and another who are yelling BUFF. This isnt a class vs class issue. All around, the overwhelming response is that nerfing AOE is a bad idea. Nobody wants it or thinks it is necessary. Please just take that into account.

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Let’s just see what happens but it looks like I’ll be moving back to Lowsec in the not too distant future.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: Shadestrike.4372

Shadestrike.4372

I’ll start caring about what the devs say when they fix Necromancers. Until then they can fix or break whatever they like. Seriously. We’ve been broken since launch. We have one viable pvp Elite skill, our main attraction as a NECROmancer (Undead Minions) Haven’t worked EVER.
I feel that the state of total lack of any regard for this issue in the past six months just means the developers do not CARE and will NEVER care to fix the problem that is so glaringly obvious to everyone else but them.

(edited by Shadestrike.4372)

Posted by: Victorctk.4931

Victorctk.4931

What did the developers said on how to counter thief’s stealth? use AOE
No matter what the move is, stealthed thief will be gaining a huge buff because you cant hit what you cant see.

We will wait and see if Diablo 3 will happen again – slow bugs fix, nerfs without any reasoning, egoistic developer, listen and finally implementing recovery too late.

Victorctk [GODS]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I really don’t get why they won’t just split up certain skills between PvE and PvP – people will get used to it, they are already complaining about not having enough skills/versatility.

Because if they seriously nerf AoE damage, what will we do agains hordes of monsters in PvE? Most decent Events are centered around groups of mobs attacking at the same time, not to mention simply moving around in Orr…If they see AoE damage as problematic in PvP, they should change it in PvP only. Or try to explain to me why I would want to use single target attacks against 5-20 spiders…

Polka will never die

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

You are going to severely nerf AoE? well then just remove the double dagger weapons setup for Elementalist, as it will be totally useless after the nerf.

What about staff eles, its even more aoe oriented. How are we meant to attack single mobs with anything but aoe when our better abilities are all aoes.

nah, consider how much more screwed will D/D Ele be compared with Staff one due to the fact he is a melee PBAoE paper armored attunements dancer amongst heavy armored single target boosted brutes with nothing to protect us other than our AoEs.
At least with Staff, you are supposed to be far enough to be somehow safe.
D/D Ele will be dug six feet under.

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Whats wrong with AOE damage in the current state of the game? I really cant get it. Its like Anet plays another game than I do.

IMO AOE is not to strong, its to weak (because of the 5 target limit). I really cant get the logic behind it. In WvW siege weapons can hit up to 50 targets but a player skill is limited to 5 targets and hits for pathetic damage? What about professions which are entirely focused around AOE damage?

Im speechless because this lets me loose faith in Anet.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

My gosh, people…everytime theres some big announcement everyone freaks out. Yes, I freaked out about ascended gear with everyone else but that shook up the core of the game. Tweaks to AoE, tweaks to how dungeon bosses and mechanics are handled, come on. This will not ruin your universe. You’ll adapt in a week and forget about it.

Personally, I like the no rez in combat. In any other game, you cannot do that. I think its rediculous. It definately does encourage waypoint zerging a boss until its dead, sometimes completely throwing out strategy and team work. This is not a bad change, get over it.

About AOE: I dont know how I feel about it, but Im sure it wont wreck my world. Whether they nerf specific aoe spells or aoe across the board. Again, most games have diminishing returns when you use aoe on more than a specified number of targets. I would prefer they keep PVP and PVE changes seperate, however.

I would also like them to change how trash mobs are in dungeons. Now, I can skip all trash and make it through to the next area in a dungeon just like anyone else, but it often leads to disaster. One person falls behind and dies. We have to wait for that person, or concoct some whacky plan to rez him/her. Never in all of my MMO gaming experience have I seen so many players wanting to skip half of a dungeon. I understand the need for speed runs. But sometimes its just..“We will skip everything between bosses”. Its insane. More often than not it does more damage than good and I would like a change to the trash mobs in dungeons. I do not want them to lose aggro from you after running a certain distance. If you run through a pack of wolves, they will chase you until you turn and fight them. Thats how it should be. lts hilarious to see posts on gw2lfg.com, “lfg warrior must have power/prec/crit gear, speed run, 7 minutes, know how to skip everything”. Really? Can you be more specific about what it is you want?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

why not just make skills different in the different game modes? like in Guild wars 1, when you entered pvp, the skills changed or behaved differently in function. why not just change skills based on game mode or type?

i’m sad they haven’t announced new weapons/new swappable skills for existing weapons/new utilities and elite skills. This is what i want the most! Not use the same utilities/weapons weeks after weeks of playing no matter if i’m in wvw, dungeon or spvp… Don’t take 1 year to release new skills for us to play with or you will lose people.

what both of you have mentioned are my biggest concerns for the game currently.

i’m am starting to feel that we will be stuck with things “as is” for a long time without any meaningful or robust changes to gameplay mechanics, individual character performance, builds, options and such.

we will probably get some minor tweaks while the main focus will be for players to buy gems to purchase gear that changes build performance.

tldr…
this console game calling itself an mmo probably won’t change much so get use to key 1, dodge rolls, self heals, run to tank while teams dps spam, die-rez-die-rez support, making cool “me too” pvp videos and buying moar gems for junk.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

cesmode.4257

why not just make skills different in the different game modes? like in Guild wars 1, when you entered pvp, the skills changed or behaved differently in function. why not just change skills based on game mode or type?

i’m sad they haven’t announced new weapons/new swappable skills for existing weapons/new utilities and elite skills. This is what i want the most! Not use the same utilities/weapons weeks after weeks of playing no matter if i’m in wvw, dungeon or spvp… Don’t take 1 year to release new skills for us to play with or you will lose people.

i’m am starting to feel that we will be stuck with things “as is” for a long time without any meaningful or robust changes to gameplay mechanics, individual character performance, builds, options and such.

we will probably get some minor tweaks while the main focus will be for players to buy gems to purchase gear that changes build performance.

tldr…
this console game calling itself an mmo probably won’t change much so get use to key 1, dodge rolls, self heals, run to tank while teams dps spam, die-rez-die-rez support, making cool “me too” pvp videos and buying moar gems for junk.

John Sharp(or was it Mike) said that they could not get into that…could not give specifics. Which leads me to believe that they have some plans and idearrsss. I think in the next 6 month’s we’ll see new abilities. Definitely.

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

I seriously doubt necro AoE damage (what damage?) is the problem they are looking at. Maybe they’ll just change the rest of the classes AoE’s to the same standard.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

tldr…

John Sharp(or was it Mike) said that they could not get into that…could not give specifics. Which leads me to believe that they have some plans and idearrsss. I think in the next 6 month’s we’ll see new abilities. Definitely.

well hopefully things happen much sooner than later.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

cesmode.4257

I seriously doubt necro AoE damage (what damage?) is the problem they are looking at. Maybe they’ll just change the rest of the classes AoE’s to the same standard.

Probably looking at ele d/d damage, thief shortbow damage (probably more, cant think off top of my head).