@Devs, Suggestion - Please Add Fishing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BigDally.6358

BigDally.6358

This hasn’t been mentioned/suggested much lately, so I thought I would throw this out here to provide optics and to garner more feedback on the subject. I for one thoroughly enjoy fishing in other MMOs and would very much like to see this mechanic added to GW2. Perhaps add some new recipes for the fish meat, as well as new achievements for catching different fish species (or even super rare fish/sizes)? Would anyone else enjoy seeing such a feature added to this game? This could even breathe some life into some of the less populated zones in order to catch that elusive zone specific fish!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Personally, I don’t really see what it would add. The game is more set to a everyone doing events. not everyone sit around fishing. the reason there is fishing in other MMO’s like WoW, is because they need time sinks. they need a reason to keep you playing as you pay a sub after all. You also have the level and power creep in those games too. So they can always make things like fishing relevant. I feel it would be a lot of work to make fishing worth while in GW2, but not have it so people spend time fishing than doing events in maps.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

You can fish in your guild hall. Just put down a Basic Chair next to the water (both guild halls have water) and pretend fish to your hearts content.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

We have actual underwater weapons. “Fishing” is not required when I can dive into the water and stab a tuna.

Moreso, I don’t want nearby events scaled up just because someone AFKs in the area. And it will lead to more botting.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

fishing in gw2??

No…

It would result in (land)nodes that players would “mine” for fins/fish…. lmao

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Before we add fishing to the game, ask yourself: what would it add to games’ overal functioning? what systems or experiences would it enhance, and would it be worth the product?

Aeolus.3615

Before we add fishing to the game, ask yourself: what would it add to games’ overal functioning? what systems or experiences would it enhance, and would it be worth the product?

For the other mmo’s it actually made the diference, casue the other games add a structure deppenind on players fishing actions, but GW2 is not like any other mmo, having fishing would lead to armor with fins, more crafting “grind”, or would be just a visual effect thing.

Actually for how this game was made, fishing holds zero in improvement scale, liek i said the max i can see it is a node or a transmogriffer visual thing.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I hope the OP actually comes back and see the responses as well as reads the link provided by ShingingSquirrel.

Rauderi.8706

Before we add fishing to the game, ask yourself: what would it add to games’ overall functioning? what systems or experiences would it enhance, and would it be worth the product?

This question is best question.

At best, fishing would add cooking recipes.
…Woo. Pretty sure we already have best-in-slot food that’s stupidly expensive anyway.

It might add to roleplayers’ experiences, giving them something to do in between waiting for chat responses?

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Perfect suggestion. A great past time. I suggest adding farming as well. This game needs a BREATH OF LIFE

Adry.7512

Farming and fishing could provide Boone in wvw and pve. I would love this. I say give fishing as a sub precession for hunter and farming as a sub precession for artificer! We need to have crop fields, boats and fishing rods!!!

Aeolus.3615

Farming and fishing could provide Boone in wvw and pve. I would love this. I say give fishing as a sub precession for hunter and farming as a sub precession for artificer! We need to have crop fields, boats and fishing rods!!!

all of that can be tweaked to work under the node mining system right?

Posted by: thundercles.8012

thundercles.8012

+1 for fishing!

Adry.7512

all of that can be tweaked to work under the node mining system right?

Of course!!! Fish nodes in certain lakes and rivers!! Ohhhhh the possibilities, the richness in culture! And we can have veggie nodes and herb nodes (like the ones we have now) up they can add small farms in which players can plant seeds and grow them and then eventually cook a great potion for wvw players and who know what else.

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

Fishing is something that some players would love. My husband in WoW, for reasons I cannot explain and don’t really share, spent HOURS just chilling out fishing ingame. I don’t think his character even cooked.
And in GW2, it proved ultimately a dealbreaker for him. He just likes to sit and chill out in a game and fish.
So what does it bring? New craftables for Hunstman/Artificers. New recipes for Chefs. Perhaps alternate sources for certain things like Glacial Lodestones or whatever else. Nodes much like fishing in many other MMOs.
The utility is only limited by the developers’ creativity.
I can only say that for me, while I wouldn’t have the patience to fish, it would probably allow for hours of obscure pleasure for my spouse and his inactive account dusted off and played again.

.. now ask me about usable chairs, streaky silvered hair for humans, or more Elonian hairstyles, and my excitement is a whole other thing.
But fishing is no question important for some.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Aeolus.3615

Adry.7512, no ,actually a farm would be just a node in your home instance XD.

farm ->1cell node?
fish tank ~> 1cell node?
anything cultivated -> growth a 1 cell node?

I think visually isnt that good…it would make gw2 more like a joke of a game(and the game is already weak on features and implementations).
Node should mean something or someplace/area where players/guild could actually improve to obtain resources directly or indirectly, not implicting the gw2 mine “node” definition wich was the most idiotic and designed for slackerplayers that expect no effort to obtain stuff.
Just look at the noob grinder house on LA where guilds can mine stuff lol… low effort time gated mining… it s agood example of how low effort this game is that needs to be time gated via limits and progress impositions.

The way resources works in this game fishing would be useless, it feels there would be needed a tweak for how materials and nodes could be farmed/hunted/gathered.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Adry.7512

Adry.7512, no ,actually a farm would be just a node in your home instance XD.

farm ->1cell node?
fish tank ~> 1cell node?
anything cultivated -> growth a 1 cell node?

I think visually isnt that good…it would make gw2 more like a joke of a game.
Node should mean something or someplace/area where players/guild could actually improve to obtain resources directly or indirectly, not implicting the gw2 mine “node” definition wich was the most idiotic(designed for slackerplayers that expect no effort to obtain stuff) way to gather stuff i hever saw in a mmo, its a system w/o structure or a poor one.

Yessss I gave that suggestion a few days ago!! You do mean an actual crop farm that you can plant, water, and grow veggies and herbs in right??? Cause that’s perfect!! Yes I don’t agree that nodes should be laying around the map. I think there should be more map design in which there is a place to actually mine….like a mining cave. A lake with actual fish, a tree (not a baby tree) you can actually chop down and collect wood, and so on. It was very disappointing when I saw how poorly this game did it. Hell even a super old game like runescape did a better job at that. Nowadays I haven’t seen an mmorpg that doesn’t out some creativity into job professions. I hope Anet will fix this delay in their game. Professions are one of the big pillars that add culture and richness to an rpg.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

GW2 is an active-participant game, so therefore your farm in your home instance only grows while you are in the home instance, and only as well as the care you take of it.

Sounds… stimulating.

Aeolus.3615

Well the huge and useless guild Halls could be tweaked to have some utility other than ebing useless and a artwork showoff…

@DeanBB.4268 there are alot of things on this game that are mindblwoing useless or awfully tweaked, that is the reason its hard to Anet to improve this game besides add specs with more damage one after the other.

Adry.7512

Well the huge and useless guild Halls could be tweaked to have some utility other than ebing useless and a artwork showoff…

@DeanBB.4268 there are alot of things on this game that are mindblwoing useless or awfully tweaked, that is the reason its hard to Anet to improve this game besides add specs with more damage one after the other.

No it should be homeinstances when they introduce proper housing, and yes you’re right this game lacks details, completely. It’s a good game with a good story, and good features, but the presence of detail for many things are just non existing. The art style is great, but the implementation of detail for the game, the culture, the richness, it’s just not there. It’s a big thing they HAVE to work on or they will find themselves up against a wall wondering “but what did we do wrong”….one day and I hope they understand these basics details before it’s too late since I am a fan and a supporter. But it’s like that bad relationship where your partner just doesn’t get it cause she lacks any presence of detail in her and you just get out right bored and sick of the relationship.

Rauderi.8706

There’s one way I could think of fishing being useful:

Aside from fish meat drops for Cooking…

Get drops of Scaled Flesh that salvage into leather. An actual leather node/farm, just like we wanted.

Many alts; handle it!

Aeolus.3615

rocks that produce lether or flesh? that actually fits gw2 theme :|

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

This hasn’t been mentioned/suggested much lately, so I thought I would throw this out here to provide optics and to garner more feedback on the subject.

Fishing has been requested two or three times in the last week, let alone before that. It’s apparently super-common that people want to have it added.

I’d suggest you just eyeball any “what do you want in the next expansion” or just “do this or the GAME WILL DIE!!!!” thread to find them.

FWIW, my feedback is that I’d absolutely, positively welcome fishing in GW2 … if it is implemented such that it isn’t a process of “click to cast, wait, click when it wiggles to catch something.”

Adry.7512

This hasn’t been mentioned/suggested much lately, so I thought I would throw this out here to provide optics and to garner more feedback on the subject.

Fishing has been requested two or three times in the last week, let alone before that. It’s apparently super-common that people want to have it added.

I’d suggest you just eyeball any “what do you want in the next expansion” or just “do this or the GAME WILL DIE!!!!” thread to find them.

FWIW, my feedback is that I’d absolutely, positively welcome fishing in GW2 … if it is implemented such that it isn’t a process of “click to cast, wait, click when it wiggles to catch something.”

They need a complete revamp of how players gather materials as well. This game need the detail. Many players complain about this and that while in reality the game has a lot of good aspects to it, except one crucial thing….it lacks detail. People get bored and they find things within the game to complain about and a lot of times it’s nothing relevant. If this game focused more on detail for the next expansion, a lot of players won’t feel so empty anymore.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I think it would be fine to add fishing with “nodes” in shallow water like other games. They add recipes frequently and hopefully will be increasing Cooking to 500 so why not fishing?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

As someone earlier mentioned, they would have to address the issue of people hanging around fishing accidentally scaling up nearby events that they are not taking part in. But if they found a way around the issue, sounds like a fun thing to add.

Rauderi.8706

As someone earlier mentioned, they would have to address the issue of people hanging around fishing accidentally scaling up nearby events that they are not taking part in. But if they found a way around the issue, sounds like a fun thing to add.

My suggestion is that mobs aggro fishermen first.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, GW2 style.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

In some MMOs, there are fishing “nodes” which deplete so there is no reason just to hang around in one spot. That is similar to the gathering that we already have and so wouldn’t have to impact local events any more than gathering already does.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

SlippyCheeze.5483

Skinning a bear should aggro every bears
in a 40 yard radius. It makes sense, you are actually skinning their best friend.

Fishing should aggro any krait and quaggan in the vicinity!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Fishing should come with underwater content. Underwater fishing!

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Rauderi.8706

Skinning a bear should aggro every bears
in a 40 yard radius. It makes sense, you are actually skinning their best friend.

Fishing should aggro any krait and quaggan in the vicinity!

Considering fighting one krait seems to aggro all them within Range 3000, it wouldn’t feel that different to me. XD

Many alts; handle it!

SlippyCheeze.5483

Fishing should come with underwater content. Underwater fishing!

That is not actually a terrible idea; at least it’s more interesting than the way other games do fishing.