Devs communicating on other forums

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

Hi!

I just wanted to say I have mixed feelings about devs communicating and giving news on other forums like reddit, without the news being given here.

Sure, it IS great when devs do communicate but shouldn’t it be mainly in these forums here instead?

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Deva are not allowed to communicate with us on the forums. It’s company policy.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Imo, ANet ought to establish a protocol whereby:

Anytime an ANet rep talks to the public about any substantial issue that is of interest to the community, they are required to send an email with a link to Gaile. Gaile then assigns a MOD to post something saying something like, “Colin Johanson addresses fan concerns in reddit post!” or, “Jon Peters talks HoT with Eurogamer!” with the link. This could go in the Announcements section on the Forum front page.

Between the Gag Order and ANet’s haphazard approach to information dissemination, some sort of central clearing house seems badly needed.

Cryptic does something similar. Cryptic! And ANet won’t?

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Hi!

I just wanted to say I have mixed feelings about devs communicating and giving news on other forums like reddit, without the news being given here.

Sure, it IS great when devs do communicate but shouldn’t it be mainly in these forums here instead?

Same happend with Bioware devs after Dragon Age Inquisiton was released and a lot of people were disappointed in a lot of things.
I think it’s a really sad practice, the in-house forums should have priority to communicate with the userbase (but they aren’t as easily manipulated as reddit with its down. and upvote mechanism), I guess.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

Forums are communities, and each one is different and changing, a same message can be treated differently deppending of the community.

As these forums are the officials, that fact attract a lot of people to face it as an direct communication door with the company, for the good, and for the bad. So the words that staff can share here, always have to be more cautious, than when they are speaking in a fan forum or fan page where the community use to be more possitive. The risks that the message were deal as an offense is lower in certain groups at certain times.

I don’t think they had to be forced to announce every speech that any member post on whatever page. The company is already sharing their information of the game with the bloggs and announcements, while the fans are already collecting the separated info from different websites to update the official wiki of the game. I see it enough.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Source please?

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Hi!

Have you ever read these forums? I wouldn’t want to come here if I had anything important to say.

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

Ofcourse devs are allowed to post here. There is even a dev-tracker. Just that it doesn’t work when devs choose to use other forums…

Have you ever read these forums? I wouldn’t want to come here if I had anything important to say.

Sure, things can get toxic. Yet more than a few devs post here regularly.

Still, others choose to post actively on other forums and discuss what they work on, answering direct questions about upcomming changes like tomorrow on the 23rd. I know of devs that actively post like that every week and yet on the official forums have less posts in a year than fingers on one hand.

Ofcourse Anet should keep giving interviews and it’s good that questions are being answered on other forums. Just that I often think it’s frustrating how slow the respons on these forums can be to things people discuss here.

I can’t help but think that it even would affect the atmosphere here if some devs were as active here giving direct answers (when they can) as they de facto are on other forums.