Dichotomy between US and EU worlds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Relic.7148

Relic.7148

Is there a technical reason or limitation as to why players in US servers and players in EU servers can’t play together? Guild Wars 1 allowed players to move freely between different servers, leading me to believe there is quite a good reason why such a limitation exists.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

The game has a LOT of players from two big parts of the world so it’s divided into two big separated servers to be more efficient.
<The End>

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Yes there is a EU data center and a US data center. Gw this did not apply

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Glitch.6849

Glitch.6849

Because of their oversight they forgot that Na and Eu players might want to game together, so created 2 separate datacentres.

Posted by: Animando.7956

Animando.7956

Guild Wars 1 allowed players to move freely between different servers, leading me to believe there is quite a good reason why such a limitation exists.

Not at the very beginning. We could only move 5x times between US and EU (and some made financial profits with such travels because the trade markets were seperated -> price differences). Then it was free.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Guild Wars 1 allowed players to move freely between different servers, leading me to believe there is quite a good reason why such a limitation exists.

Not at the very beginning. We could only move 5x times between US and EU (and some made financial profits with such travels because the trade markets were seperated -> price differences). Then it was free.

There were international districts from day 1 where players from US and EU could meet up and team. There were only two limitations, the trade posts were separate(as you said) and you couldn’t visit FoW together(UW was possible but you needed to fight your way to a hidden shrine)

I’m still staggered that such an oversight was made by a such a progressive and innovative ‘community focused’ company.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

I’m going to make an assumption and say it is because of WvW. Now why they didn’t simply opt for disabling WvW while you guest on the other side of the pond is beyond me. As it is very much possible to move your homeserver across the pond. So A temporary move should be just as easy if no WvW is involved.

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Nothing is stopping players from starting or moving to EU orUS servers though so its not like its a real issue beyond being a dumb idea in the first place(why newer mmorpg’s seem to love region based servers is a mystery when you realise older games like final fantasy 11 had no such restrictions).