Did Arenanet Contradict Themselves?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

What I’m referring to is the black lion trading company currency exchange system. I’m pretty surprise this wasnt brought up or addressed…

Even before the game was released, Arenanet said that one of the primary reason to such a system was to combat gold sellers. That sounds great but if that statement is true, why does the buyer of gem in the currency exchange get the better deal and not the seller of gems? The people who’s spending money to get gem to convert to gold would be more tempted to buy gold than gem. Shouldn’t the buy and sell gem prices be reversed?

Btw, I never bought gem, and only have exchanged gold for gems.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Yeah… buying cheap drugs to some random guy in the park looks like a better deal than goin to the pharmacy

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

Except the pharmacy then claims that they are promoting safe and accessible drugs and discourage the “street drugs” then they raise the price of their drugs.

It doesnt make sense logically and is an insult to a reasonable mind that if the purpose of the gem exchange was to combat gold seller by competing with them in price, that the exchange rate would favor the buyer, rather than the seller.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

They are scammers.. they are involved in illegal actions, is not just “gold sellers”. REALLY do you want to trade with that people?
Besides… what do you want? Remove the Possibility of buying gems with gold? So you are Forced to use real money?

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

What do you mean by “why does the buyer of gem in the currency exchange get the better deal and not the seller of gems”?

Are you saying “why does it cost so little gold to buy gems / why do you get so little gold when you sell gems”?

Allegedly it’s based on supply and demand. It’s not a straight trade, though, when you buy or sell gems you’re not trading with another player. You’re trading with the game at a price set by ArenaNet, which I believe fluctuates based on how many people are buying and selling.

I do agree that it is strangely cheap. I’m not even level cap yet and I’ve already bought 2000 gems for gold, that’s enough to buy everything I have any interest in buying, thus guaranteeing that ArenaNet won’t get any money from me in the cash shop. Conversely, if you were buying gems to sell for gold, it’s insanely expensive. e.g. if you look at an expensive purchase, like the 100g Commander tome, it would currently cost you almost $500!!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think Anet deliberately made the gems → gold conversion like that to stop it messing up the in-game economy. Because that gold is created when you do the trade instead of coming from somewhere else in the game world if too many people did it we’d have a massive increase in available gold and prices for everything on the trading post would start rising as people realise their buyers can afford to pay more.

Then we end up like the early days of UO where you pretty much had to be a dedicated and experienced farmer to buy anything from other players.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

You cant do that, for starters it will not work because gold sellers get gold for free (hacking accounts, botting) etc.. So if you making buying price of gems cheaper they can still undercut you until you reach 0.

As for who gets the better deal, I am not sure how the buyer is getting a better deal then the seller really? They’re both doing a conversion and like with any conversion there will always be some form of loss. They’re not directly linked either sellers are converting real money to in game gold, while buyers are converting in game gold to the equivalent of real money in game (gems) Prices change depending on demand. If more people want to buy then sell then prices will go up if not vice versa!

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

That’s one reason I always have to laugh when people talk about getting golems for WvWvW. They’re US$5 each! That’s a lot in the long term.

User was infracted for being awesome.