Did alignment really mean anything?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

By alignment, I mean how your character deals with situations: Force, Charm, and Charisma.

To me, this didn’t really matter in creating your character because in every cutscene you have this personality that’s premade.

For example,this is how I would react to Magister Sieran:

Charm: Wild and fearless… We’re gonna get along fine.
Charisma: Working with you will be be an experience.
Force: You a crazy kitten! You’re gonna get me killed!

On top of that, there’s hardly any practicality; Your alignment hardly makes any dramatic changes during your personal story nor does it add any bonus to you while in PvE mode. It just opens up new conversations to get interesting info, but nothing else. Other games I’ve seen give stat bonuses or penalties depending on which alignment you’re taking (e.g. Jade Empire, Dragon Age 2, Divinity Original Sin, Mass Effect, Neverwinter…) and changes the plot route dramatically.

I personally think ANET should take a second look at the alignment system and see if they could build more upon it. This could bring out deeper custom features; players could customize their characters’ personality, and not just their physical appearance. For instance, if I’m more of a forceful character, I’d like my character to give more aggressive shouts while fighting. If i was more charming, I’d be trolling my foes with mischievous and playful name-calling.

(edited by AVM.5746)

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

Characters used to have personality some time ago, NPCs were supposed to react different to you when you pass by but it was bugged so they always used to just wave or bow, that’s why Anet removed it.

Mesmerizing

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I liked the little stuff it does, if it had worked properly. Effectively you were never hindered by the system, it just added slightly different text and rarely a /bow instead of a /wave or a simple “Hello”. Nothing major.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.