Did anet change server hosts or something?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MyGWAccount.7325

MyGWAccount.7325

There has been a very noticeable change in the stability of my game experience, both my own and the time in a party doing dungeons/fractals.

Back a year a go or so none of the issues i am having now happened as frequently.

Noticeable skill lag, dc’ing of my entire parties in dungeons simultaneously, chat lag, emote lag to name a few things that have been occurring recently.

Other games I play do not have this kind of lag and it has happened to multiple people in my party.
Is this happening to other people too, or just on a small scale?
Has something changed on anets side?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I know it might not be obvious, but the data to and from your network doesnt magically travel through the air to get to anet’s server network. It also isnt something always on anet’s side either. The path you happen to take to communicate with the servers may just be having issues some way or another.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

sounds small scale or isolated to specific servers. if anything my connection has been running BETTER lately.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

MyGWAccount.7325

I know it might not be obvious, but the data to and from your network doesnt magically travel through the air to get to anet’s server network. It also isnt something always on anet’s side either. The path you happen to take to communicate with the servers may just be having issues some way or another.

I know it may not be obvious, but common sense and logic suggest that it is on anets side as it was not only my connection but at least 4 other people in my party’s as well, on multiple occasions in multiple locations.

In Arah and in Fractals have been the most recent and memorable cases as they cause the dungeon to be entirely lost for fractals, and wipes and sluggish response times for skills during boss fights in Arah.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m pretty sure Anet actually own their own servers. I could be wrong but I’ve definitely been told that’s the case before.

And as Aidan said there are a huge number of things that could be affecting your (and your friends) connection. Without using a program to track it and test it there’s no way to say where the problem might be.

All I can say is that when something significant changes a lot of people notice. As in there would be multiple threads with hundreds of posts each in several sections of the forum.

That’s what happened when BT (major UK provider) erroneously tagged GW2 as P2P file-sharing software and throttled the bandwidth allowance. It took a while to nail down the issue but the number of complaints was ridiculous. (And I say that even as one of the people who was affected.)

If it was something server side, and therefore affecting everyone on one or more servers it wouldn’t just be you and some of your friends complaining. It would be everyone on that server.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

I have a few guildies experiencing some similar issues, but I haven’t had any (noticable) issues myself. Is it more common in instances or everywhere in the world?

MyGWAccount.7325

I have a few guildies experiencing some similar issues, but I haven’t had any (noticable) issues myself. Is it more common in instances or everywhere in the world?

It has been in instances as thats where i spend most of my time

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

I have been lagging more, lately. I figured it was on my end with useless vodafone.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Not just you. A couple days ago our entire EB DC’d. Also, we’re seeing a lot more lag spikes.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

i came back after a year break aaaaaand its better for me then back then.

only a few REALY RARE lag spikes but everything runs flawlesly.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’m pretty sure Anet actually own their own servers. I could be wrong but I’ve definitely been told that’s the case before.

~Snip~

This is true, though they servers/data centers are actually NCSoft, it’s best to do a traceroute and see if you notice any packet loss along the way if you’re suffering from lag/DC’s.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

My connection to GW2 has been worse lately as well. I don’t experience major issues hence I haven’t made a forum post about it (until now), but it’s definitely annoying enough that it made me send multiple support tickets to Anet asking them what’s up with the connection between their servers and my PC.

So no OP, you’re not alone. I have the same issues and so do many of my GW2 friends. The servers definitely have become more unstable since a few months (in fact I think it’s since they introduced megaservers that my connection has been gotten worse).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Instances seem to lag more than the open world. I spend more time in the open world and see very little lag comparatively. Certain instances I’ve been in do lag.

No idea why though.

Posted by: hans.2460

hans.2460

I have been affected noticeable lag in PvP today. Also, I have noticed pvp streamers having similar problem.

I’m in NA, on northern shiverpeaks

MyGWAccount.7325

So, just an update. The lag occurs in open world as well. It is mainly noticeable for me when trying to sell items to the npcs. Usually one click on the sell button would sell one item, but with the lag it has turned into double clicking and triple clicks for the amount of time i have to wait before the junk leave my inventory and is exchanged with the npc.
The lag is also still present to others in my dungeon runs where everybody just freezes at the same instant and resumes play again.

Posted by: Mincsk.6028

Mincsk.6028

I believe nc’s servers are based in Dallas tx. Practically the worst spot in the U.S to host servers it seems. 25-30ms latency playing that other mmo which hosts in chicago and I think L.A (not 100% sure on L.A.) 75-100ms to gw2 and Wildstar. From N.East U.S.

Posted by: Firion Corodix.4510

Firion Corodix.4510

I know it may not be obvious, but common sense and logic suggest that it is on anets side as it was not only my connection but at least 4 other people in my party’s as well, on multiple occasions in multiple locations.

In Arah and in Fractals have been the most recent and memorable cases as they cause the dungeon to be entirely lost for fractals, and wipes and sluggish response times for skills during boss fights in Arah.

Actually, common sense and logic do not suggest that if sufficient knowledge on the workings on the internet is added in to the mix. The network path for yourself and those 4 people could very well have quite some overlap the closer you get to the servers, the issue could be in any of the overlapping nodes. Of course it could also be on anet’s side as anet’s network is part of that overlapping path, but the cause could just as easily be elsewhere along the path (which fits the picture of some people having no issues whatsoever, while others are seeing lag).

MyGWAccount.7325

Actually, common sense and logic do not suggest that if sufficient knowledge on the workings on the internet is added in to the mix. The network path for yourself and those 4 people could very well have quite some overlap the closer you get to the servers, the issue could be in any of the overlapping nodes. Of course it could also be on anet’s side as anet’s network is part of that overlapping path, but the cause could just as easily be elsewhere along the path (which fits the picture of some people having no issues whatsoever, while others are seeing lag).

If you had actually read the first post maybe you would know whats going on. Common sense and logic still apply here and everywhere. It is not just my problem, or that of 4 specific individuals, it is that of many others as well. This is not an isolated case.
With all the changes anet is attempting to do I really dont see how it isnt on anets end. Nothing has changed on my end. This game has worked lag free for the first year, and now more recently it has started to deteriorate in terms of connectivity for multiple people.