Did endgame just get nerfed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

As I understand it, a big part of endgame is making a Legendary (or even more than one). As we just observed, the June 25th patch showed us how the development team can take a Legendary weapon like the Dreamer (shortbow) and make it obsolete for PvE and possibly WvW. This can also be done to any other Legendary item, including armor. (other threads show players trying to trade them in for a different Legendary).

If you are unfamiliar with the components needed to make a Legendary and the cost and sheer luck involved, please check it out before responding. It can be a massive undertaking.
It doesn’t matter what race or class of player we are, and it doesn’t matter whether we PvE, PvP, or WvW or any combination thereof, every Legendary is now susceptible to loosing it’s value, at the whim of a development team that balances across the three play areas without concern for how it affects play in each individual play area.

As a player at the endgame, I’m struggling with a reason to continue. Sure, helping others can be fun, protecting your server can be fun…… but personal advancement has ended with the threat of Legendaries being nerfed out of existence. Take a look at the cost of that “Dreamer”, and it’s precursor, which has lost two thirds of it’s value on the marketplace.
Why would we even begin an attempt to make a Legendary now?

Please discuss

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Personally, I am not interested in obtaining a legendary, and do not see it as a large part of the end-game.

However, it sounds as if you are talking about the shortbow nerf to rangers (and thieves?). That is not specifically targeted towards the legendary shortbow. So, I’d be inclined to disagree with your overall argument. It may upset those who spent a lot of time and money obtaining The Dreamer more than other people, but the nerf itself was directed toward the weapon class.

To sum – As the nerf was directed at all shortbows, not just the dreamer, and that the Dreamer is only 1 legendary and that legendaries are not the be-all, end-all of end-game content, I disagree.

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

Is this related to the SB Nerf? I think weapons will rise and fall with balance patches and that shouldn’t take away the “end game” of a legendary. People usually get legendaries because they like how they look. I’m a guardian with The Moot, but I generally use GS, Staff, or Hammer. My legendary is purely because I love it. There are probably still people out there who want the Dreamer (myself and a few guildies included) regardless of the nerf. I wish I wasn’t saving my money for Dawn or I’d snatch up the Lover while it’s on the “cheaper” end.

[Edited for spelling errors]

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

(edited by Heylo.4938)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Actually the value of legendaries go up. It’s harder to make them now.

And you must always understand that there is a risk for balance patches. It’s as guaranteed as bots and gold sellers in MMOs.

When you decided to commit that much gold to a legendary, you understood those risks.

Yeah it stinks, but what are you going to do about it? Request that Anet stick to the skills/traits in this game forever? No balancing required?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think this is a problem across any hard to obtain gear. I know a lot of mesmers were really upset when their ascended rabid trinkets were suddenly worthless (because there really isn’t a good mesmer condition build).

I’m going to bet that you are a ranger. That nerf really hit the shortbow hard. I still don’t understand why if was necessary.

Buffs and nerfs are going to happen. Some of them were hurt the effectiveness of different weapons. I can be hard to go one when a favorite is decimated.

But, It’s likely that the shortbow will eventually get a buff and become more useful again.

Edit: FYI, I don’t think there’s any reason to grind out a legendary. The road is too long and I lack the fortitude to attempt it.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

No, endgame did not get nerfed.

However, the propensity of players to completely flip their kitten and over-react to even incredibly minor nerfs continues unabated.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

If anything, your endgame just expanded, because now you can make a new Legendary!

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I did not realize playing the market was endgame

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

endgame for me is WvW, not legendaries

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Tumult.2578

This is an attempt to discuss the fact that Legendaries can be nerfed out of existence, and not about the shortbow and it’s not about Ranger. That shortbow is the perfect current example only.
(All I will say about class is that I understand your love of your class. When you are ready for a challenge, try Ranger)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

What’s the topic about? Shortbow got nerf on thief and ranger so legendary shortbow is no longer in demand?

Vol.5241

This is an attempt to discuss the fact that Legendaries can be nerfed out of existence, and not about the shortbow and it’s not about Ranger. That shortbow is the perfect current example only.
(All I will say about class is that I understand your love of your class. When you are ready for a challenge, try Ranger)

nerfing a Legendary means altering the skin or remove its effects.

nerfing a Legendary does not mean nerfing the skills associated with it that made you want to equip it in the first place.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i perfectly understand what the op says because after the new patch i changed my mesmer build but i have a legendary staff now and i feel sorry not to use it considering how much effort costed me…
and still it’s not effective as it used to be and it’s kinda silly of me still playing with a staff when i should play with greatswords… even worse it’s not account bound so i cannot use it with any other toon who would make a better use of it.

so yeah, this made me chill with the game a lot actually

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

How would a Legendary be nerfed? It’s just a skin. There’s nothing particularly special about it other than its a really hard to get skin.

Heck, the fact that event skins are better than a lot of the Legendary weapons already make them obsolete.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

the legendary it’s not a skin, it has stats (silly stats if you ask me) and if you transmute it it looses the status of legendary and when raids with ascended weapon will be implemented the legendary weapon will be increased in stats unless of course you transmuted it…
or so i think, they never ever bothered to tell us how it will be handled

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Ensign.2189

This is an attempt to discuss the fact that Legendaries can be nerfed out of existence, and not about the shortbow and it’s not about Ranger.

Weapon sets certainly can be nerfed out of existence, but it has never happened in this game, and if it does happen it will be a huge, huge balance mistake on A.Net’s part.

The whole premise of this thread is based on the idea that it has happened, which is basically more rangers crying and blowing some minor balance tweaks out of proportion. Go ahead and make the ‘why bother leveling a class to 80 when A.Net can just remove the whole class from the game’ thread, you’ll get mocked there too.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

But i has legendary wepom zomg they nerf it now i quits game anet fix this kitten nao my legendary wepon is usless i wants my moni back!111111

Tumult.2578

(Vol.5421

nerfing a Legendary does not mean nerfing the skills associated with it that made you want to equip it in the first place.)

Thanks for your definition of what a nerf is but I don’t see how that applies to this issue. Clearly, the issue is not how a Legendary looks, it is exactly about the fact that it’s skills can be nerfed to the point of making the Legendary worthless in one or more of the game areas. Again, every server will be different but take a look at the value drops since the last patch.

(edited by Tumult.2578)

Vol.5241

Vol.5421

nerfing a Legendary does not mean nerfing the skills associated with it that made you want to equip it in the first place.

Thanks for your definition of what a nerf is but I don’t see how that applies to this issue. Clearly, the issue is not how a Legendary looks.

if the issue is not looks then why mention Legendaries? That’s the whole pont of a legendary – the look.

We haven’t been introduced to ascended weapons so you can’t make the argument that this is about stats.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

No, endgame did not get nerfed.

However, the propensity of players to completely flip their kitten and over-react to even incredibly minor nerfs continues unabated.

And the smart folks buy Lovers to resell for a profit when the price goes back up.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

So I stopped reading as soon as I saw the part about making weapons useless

Was I right in assuming it was just a attempt to disguise a balance rant?

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Thanks for your definition of what a nerf is but I don’t see how that applies to this issue. Clearly, the issue is not how a Legendary looks, it is exactly about the fact that it’s skills can be nerfed to the point of making the Legendary worthless in one or more of the game areas. Again, every server will be different but take a look at the value drops since the last patch.

Legendary skills = Exotic skills = Rare Skills = MasterWork skills = Common skills

The only difference is the magnitude of their effectiveness.

Your whole point has nothing to do with (1) Endgame, (2) Legendaries, (3) any other context outside of weapon skills.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

So I stopped reading as soon as I saw the part about making weapons useless

Was I right in assuming it was just a attempt to disguise a balance rant?

Spot on.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Ranger shortbow gets a 14% damage BUFF and so people jump ship and toss their shortbows out the window…

/facepalm.

Hey if anyone has one they don’t want… I’ll take it for free.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Oh, this is related to the Shortbow nerf. Confused me.

Let’s just hope they eventually fix all weapons, mainly Thief ones. The variety is awful.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Ensign.2189

And the smart folks buy Lovers to resell for a profit when the price goes back up.

Except the price did not move appreciably in response to the change, and I wouldn’t want to take a long position on any precursor at this point with the scavenger hunt hanging out there.

That was my response to the tears as well, however.

tolunart.2095

Except the price did not move appreciably in response to the change, and I wouldn’t want to take a long position on any precursor at this point with the scavenger hunt hanging out there.

That was my response to the tears as well, however.

I wouldn’t invest in them either, I have two for future personal use (trident and torch) which are on the cheaper end, but that’s all. I was responding to the comment OP made, " Take a look at the cost of that “Dreamer”, and it’s precursor, which has lost two thirds of it’s value on the marketplace."

I didn’t actually check the prices, though. If that statement was true and the Lover went down by 60% or more it would be a bargain even with the potential for an alternate route to getting a precursor – which I don’t believe is going to be the easymode path everyone seems to want.

Posted by: Grey Warden.2983

Grey Warden.2983

As I understand it, a big part of endgame is making a Legendary (or even more than one). As we just observed, the June 25th patch showed us how the development team can take a Legendary weapon like the Dreamer (shortbow) and make it obsolete for PvE and possibly WvW. This can also be done to any other Legendary item, including armor. (other threads show players trying to trade them in for a different Legendary).

If you are unfamiliar with the components needed to make a Legendary and the cost and sheer luck involved, please check it out before responding. It can be a massive undertaking.
It doesn’t matter what race or class of player we are, and it doesn’t matter whether we PvE, PvP, or WvW or any combination thereof, every Legendary is now susceptible to loosing it’s value, at the whim of a development team that balances across the three play areas without concern for how it affects play in each individual play area.

As a player at the endgame, I’m struggling with a reason to continue. Sure, helping others can be fun, protecting your server can be fun…… but personal advancement has ended with the threat of Legendaries being nerfed out of existence. Take a look at the cost of that “Dreamer”, and it’s precursor, which has lost two thirds of it’s value on the marketplace.
Why would we even begin an attempt to make a Legendary now?

Please discuss

So, your feelings have been hurt because you play a Ranger and the short bow has been nerfed even further, not because you have the Dreamer.

tolunart.2095

There is at least one Legendary Weapon for every weapon type, and every class can use more than one of them. The devs are not going to consider the secondary market value of these items when balancing the game, or whether someone would be disappointed because their personal choice of weapon would be made less effective. If they did, they would not be able to make any changes at all to weapon abilities or class traits.

After everything, the LW is just a fancy skin, you might as well complain because you have a fused Greatsword skin you bought 300 keys to find and a month later you got bored with your warrior and wish you had a pair of daggers instead.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

so basically the legendary is worthless now because SB got a buff on ranger and only a range change on Thief…?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

What if…… it’s just some RNGBox for 500points?

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

Legendary = endgame …now thats a good one.

Couldnt care less

when raids with ascended weapon will be implemented the legendary weapon will be increased in stats unless of course you transmuted it…

Well, I guess thats because Anet had no idea when in panic they introduced ascended items to hopefully prevent the mass exodus of our beloved “stat-grind is endgame” folks without having a thougt out plan other than “yeah, we will introduce more ascended stuff later and then change legendary stats”
Yeah…all planned ahead….suuuure.
And if people really believe the PR stating Anet planned ascended stuff before release then I just nod and smile.

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

Legendary = endgame …now thats a good one.

Couldnt care less

when raids with ascended weapon will be implemented the legendary weapon will be increased in stats unless of course you transmuted it…

Well, I guess thats because Anet had no idea when in panic they introduced ascended items to hopefully prevent the mass exodus of our beloved “stat-grind is endgame” folks without having a thougt out plan other than “yeah, we will introduce more ascended stuff later and then change legendary stats”
Yeah…all planned ahead….suuuure.
And if people really believe the PR stating Anet planned ascended stuff before release then I just nod and smile.

There have always been upgrades in gear, expansion plans, and increases in level caps expected. Legendaries will increase accordingly. What any of this has to do with ascended gear eludes me except that it is the first of many upgrades to come.

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Make legendaries account bound on equip. Problem solved. Disagree with op. Weapon class got nerfed not Legendaries.

(edited by OmniPotentes.4817)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Your first two sentences indicated your argument that the end-game is dead pivoted solely around a nonsensical complaint about legendaries becoming obsolete due to a simple range nerf that affected all weapon skills of a certain type on a single profession and not specifically the legendary in question.

I immediately stopped reading – that’s one hell of an irrational conclusion drawn from a massive hyperbole.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Sentry.3691

Sentry.3691

Ranger shortbow gets a 14% damage BUFF and so people jump ship and toss their shortbows out the window…

so basically the legendary is worthless now because SB got a buff on ranger and only a range change on Thief…?

Before you make ignorant comments like this, take the time to actually read the patch notes and understand them. That way you won’t embarrass yourselves.

This is what happened to the Ranger shortbow:
Crossfire: Decreased the range to 900.
Poison Volley: Decreased the range to 900.
Quick Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%.
Crippling Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%.
Concussion Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%. Reduced the aftercast by .25 seconds.

Three utility skills that no one in their right mind would use for damage dealing received a slight buff, and the weapon range was reduced from 1200 to 900. That amounts to a significant nerf.

As for the OP. Sorry, but spending vast amounts of time acquiring a legendary weapons is a risk. Nerfs happen. For this and many other reasons, I’ve never considered them to be worth the effort.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

At least they made it so you no longer need to farm the crap to make one, that to me is a Buff.

But yes R.I.P. Rangers.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Legendaries are not only useful in high end content. If you go pretty much anywhere but the hardest dungeons in PvE, you’ll be able to use your legendary just fine. You don’t HAVE to use the absolutely most effective weapon every second of every day.

Just saying.