Did the patch break jumping?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tenicord.9803

Tenicord.9803

With patches, comes issues. This is common (at least with this game.) I’m not complaining but rather saying you should expect it and not cry bloody murder. Just bring it to their attention and they will fix it.

“Our Time Is Now”
Waylon- lvl 80 Guardian
Trism – lvl 80 Engineer

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one noticing this problem. Made the JP in Plains of Ashford more difficult than usual.

Can’t you guys just revert back to what it was before patch? It’s starting to feel like you are trying to fix “fixes” on things that had little to no issue before.

As a question, have you ever coded something before? I’m in basic Javascript and just a single error or added character (0-9, a-z, and anything like a ; : or a ,) can cause problems. It can take me 30 minutes just to find the problem in a simple 12 line code. And even then there’s a chance I screwed something else up, causing another error I have to fix! It’s a tough game of trial and error at times.

Imagine how much work this is for the programmers, since it’s over 1 million lines odds are. My hats off to the programmers, as you have some rough nights ahead of you.

Yes I have coded. I test my code first before I release the code to someone else. If the new code causes problem then I revert it back to what it was before… unless the old code was broken too. So here’s the question, was the old jumping code broken for you? If not, then why not just revert back? I’m just using a bit of common sense here.

The only reason I, as a programming amateur, would not revert back is if it causes massive problems elsewhere in the code.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

what’s that health/trait issue?

Using transform skills like RTL, Mist Form etc wipe out all traits and trait points, meaning when used you can loose up to 3000 health/300 toughness etc (and any offensive boosts like crit chance/damage etc).

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

We wanted to give people that retro Guild Wars feeling, where there was no jumping.

LOL now that you mention it – it does bring back memories!

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Rake.7169

Rake.7169

and I thought I all of a sudden lost my JP-skill (or the keyboard battery is empty again…)
well after some problems to begin with all the daily JP farms worked.

Posted by: Shadow of Azrael.1205

Shadow of Azrael.1205

You don’t do fractals do you?

There is no big problem with them, just a few extra falls which will take extra minute or two of your time.

Posted by: Hyperionkhv.1978

Hyperionkhv.1978

It could be happens through Mad King Clock Tower ~.~

Even if one likes games, there’s a limit…

Posted by: Markise.3640

Markise.3640

thanks god its not just me, i thought my keyboard was messed up

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one noticing this problem. Made the JP in Plains of Ashford more difficult than usual.

Can’t you guys just revert back to what it was before patch? It’s starting to feel like you are trying to fix “fixes” on things that had little to no issue before.

As a question, have you ever coded something before? I’m in basic Javascript and just a single error or added character (0-9, a-z, and anything like a ; : or a ,) can cause problems. It can take me 30 minutes just to find the problem in a simple 12 line code. And even then there’s a chance I screwed something else up, causing another error I have to fix! It’s a tough game of trial and error at times.

Imagine how much work this is for the programmers, since it’s over 1 million lines odds are. My hats off to the programmers, as you have some rough nights ahead of you.

I’m a programmer. And you know what? We keep careful track of what we change so we can rollback if needed, we test it in 2 environments (with internal and external testers!), and we release changes during off hours in case we miss something so it impacts the fewest users while we scramble to fix it. Oh, and when we make a major change to a basic part of the software we spend days-weeks testing it. Sometimes we still mess up, but we don’t mess up every time we release an update.

ANet devs and management and QA just keep failing to do their job. The ideas behind this game a great, but the execution – it would be funny if I didn’t have to pay money for it. As it is, it’s infuriating.

With patches, comes issues. This is common (at least with this game.) I’m not complaining but rather saying you should expect it and not cry bloody murder. Just bring it to their attention and they will fix it.

It’s the continual blatant failures to do basic due diligence that are so upsetting. If a patch introduced a few minor things, OK stuff happens. If a patch broke a major thing, OK everyone drops the ball sometimes. This patch breaks multiple huge things (some skills deactivate all traits, major game mechanic is randomly failing, etc), and that’s actually starting to be typical.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Its jumping. They broke the functionality of pushing one kittening button.

The fact that something that basic needs to be brought to their attention is nothing short of gross incompetence.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

fixed now it seems

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

so here i was failing jump puzzle which made me regequit and play something else just to find out we have ‘’jump bugs’’

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

We are looking into this presently. Thanks for reporting.

And Thank You Sir for letting us know it’s being attended to. Seriously (not sarcasm) .

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Fixed now. The hysterical shrieking can move on to another topic

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Thank you for fixing this Anet!

Just ran the EB jumping puzzle and only failed a few times (all my own fault) instead of the headache that it was earlier.

Posted by: Veetus.5814

Veetus.5814

Thanks for the fix!

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

They still have this bug in Guild wars 1.

.__.

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

And yet another one of ANet’s debacles strikes again. They’re starting to remind me of the incompetence that was known as the SWTOR "devs..."

Mors janua vitæ

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

You can see what the effect is by going to lions arch and going to the ramp directly to the left, walking out of the bank. Run at the ramp and jump right as you hit the lip of that ramp going down.

What happens is you are in a “falling” state for a split second so it prevent you from jumping and instead pulls you down.

This is adverse to what the jumping physics previously were because you were able to begin a slight fall for a split second and still input a jump command to gain some extra distance into your jump.

So they either “fixed” the physics or “broke” some jumping puzzles that used to require you to jump certain distances that were REALLY picky on how close to the edge you were when you jumped.

Now add latency into the mix and you can see how being too precise on when the player inputs a jump command can cause issues.

adjusts tin foil hat more snugly

This is pretty interesting, because then it would seem to indicate this might be the result of some stealth nerf they didn’t want to say anything about, no? Maybe they ‘fixed’ the physics as you say to prevent a class from cheating with the physics at something (or maybe related to all those node teleporters), and the result broke our ability to jump?

I can pull off a jump the way I intended every time if I always double-tap the space bar to jump. It’s not much of a work around though, as it really breaks all the hand/eye muscle memory work I put in to get me to a point where I can do borderlands with the step off on the branch trick all the way through without falling.

Now I just walk off stuff if I don’t double jump.

Not sure if it was anything to do with the node teleporters… if it was then it didnt work.. I saw the same toon mine and teleport 3 times already after the patch….. no names but a certain “Dr” might know who I am speaking of….!!
Shame it happens so quick you cant report them .. luckily on the third time the toon was in dolphin form seemed to affect the timing on teleport, so managed get the name and report it

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

And yet another one of ANet’s debacles strikes again. They’re starting to remind me of the incompetence that was known as the SWTOR “devs…”

They fixed it within 2 hours Mavet. You are behind the curve.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Reverted a change to the jump mechanic that impacted the timing of jumps

Where in the original patch notes was there this?

Made a change to the jump mechanic because…

The patch note didn’t say they fixed something that was accidentally messed up by something else, it specifically called out reverting the change.

May I ask what was wrong with jumping that you tried to originally fix?

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

I’m a programmer. And you know what? We keep careful track of what we change so we can rollback if needed, we test it in 2 environments (with internal and external testers!), and we release changes during off hours in case we miss something so it impacts the fewest users while we scramble to fix it. Oh, and when we make a major change to a basic part of the software we spend days-weeks testing it. Sometimes we still mess up, but we don’t mess up every time we release an update.

ANet devs and management and QA just keep failing to do their job. The ideas behind this game a great, but the execution – it would be funny if I didn’t have to pay money for it. As it is, it’s infuriating.

I’m curious if you’re perhaps CMMI level 5, or working through a relatively simple codebase. Either that, or you have the most awesome dev environment I’ve ever heard of and I should go work for you.

Because, barring one of those things, I don’t believe that you are releasing bug free releases on a regular basis. Surely you at least know that you are rare in the world of software, given that you’re likely running buggy development software on a buggy OS, etc…

As it is, I’m pretty sure, based on the amount of time between most releases, that Anet is also going through those standard processes. We both know that unless you’re single threaded it is not always a trivial operation to revert a change. We also both know that at times you will make a change which causes interactions that neither you nor QA expect. So, yeah…. come back down to earth with the rest of us devs, if you don’t mind.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

The patch note didn’t say they fixed something that was accidentally messed up by something else, it specifically called out reverting the change.

This is whats bothering me. If the change didn’t make it into patch notes, did QA even know about it?

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

haha i kept falling in fotm on the slight jumping stuff and just thought its cos I was tired

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

This is whats bothering me. If the change didn’t make it into patch notes, did QA even know about it?

And then I asked in another thread, and the answer was “well we fixed a problem that was causing jumping not to work”, and the thread was closed. I don’t care that the thread was closed, had an answer been provided. That was circular.

“Who are you?”
“I’m Rita’s boss.”
“And who is Rita?”
“She’s my secretary.”

I’d just like to know what was wrong with jumping that they felt they needed to fix, and then had to revert back, because the fix was off the mark. Am I not asking this correctly? Someone throw me a bone here and help me ask the question.

Edit: Found this over in the game bug thread, maybe this was it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Unresponsive-Jumping-Dec-3rd-Patch/page/2#post916021

The fix to prevent people from spam jumping up walls and obstacles might have been the source. Well if that’s the case, that is a good thing to fix, can’t complain about that. Hopefully they find a way to fix that without impacting the rest of us.

(edited by notebene.3190)