Didnt they learn anything from warhammer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Telenn.6945

Telenn.6945

Alot of the problems in the game could have been avoided by looking at the same problems warhammer online had and never fixed.

- public events that dont scale well. going from sickeningly easy in large groups to almost impossible to duo.
- game client that cant handle large fight. ghost armies appearing out of thin are.
- unbalanced classes
- alot of worldvsdoor
- wvw dominated by aoe

Anet seems to have taken a great deal of inspiration from war without fixing any the problems that saw it lose 700k players in the first 3 months. They really need to react faster than Mythic did or they may see this game follow the same trend.

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

That’s an interesting post, I hadn’t thought of those similarities to WAR.

Mind you, the things that actually killed WAR for me and my friends were uninteresting zonal PvP and horribly unbalanced classes. I don’t mind attacking a door, as long as while I am doing so there is fun to be had.

If Anet can ensure WvW stays interesting and that Mesmers do not become GW2’s Bright Wizards, I’d probably tolerate most of the rest of it.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

When did the Warhammer Online servers shut down again? I don’t remember reading the announcement.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

I played Warhammer for years.

The DE vs their public quests is no comparison. It is a TON better here. They did not even scale in Warhammer. Filling a heart when nobody around in GW2 is easy.

AOE warfare. Gee in zerg fights of course. But in both games there are a TON of small fights. Sorry you only run with the zerg. You miss out if you do.
Unbalanced classes here? You are nuts, OP! I agree warhammer was borked for some. Here, nope. Game is a month old. Tons of newbies out there just learning and not the class, but the player.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Hmm, i felt what killed WAR was scenario’s more than anything else, for me what kills GW2 is the punitive diminishing returns the devs have implemented to fight off botters. Problem is all the batters have done is either relogged after event is done, or they switch to an alt and do an event on that, then switch back.

WAR would have me playing it still if they had gone with 3 factions, but Mythick did not want to fight Gamesworkshop on that front, gave in, and ended up making a mediocre game.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

They were probably too busy building an awesome game to bother playing someone else’s game. Did that not occur to you?

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

Hmm, i felt what killed WAR was scenario’s more than anything else, for me what kills GW2 is the punitive diminishing returns the devs have implemented to fight off botters. Problem is all the batters have done is either relogged after event is done, or they switch to an alt and do an event on that, then switch back.

WAR would have me playing it still if they had gone with 3 factions, but Mythick did not want to fight Gamesworkshop on that front, gave in, and ended up making a mediocre game.

Three factions would have helped WAR, I agree. I think GW2 need a huge hand for the clever way they’ve solved the faction thing. WvWvW is a great approach.

I really have to disagree with you about scenarios. If the class balance had been less broken, WAR would have kept me playing just on the strength of it’s instanced PvP. It had the most tactically varied set of maps of any MMO I have played.

I really wish other games would take a nod from WAR on that. GW2 has bland and uninspired maps by comparison.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Well to be honest GW2 copied a ton of rvr from Dark Age of Camelot…

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Yeah but too bad they did not copy Realm Ranks, and Realm Abilities, i would love for a system to progress my character for just WvW purposes (meaning it does not trasnfer to other forms of play PvE/SPvP).

Like having a RA for just sieging, more dmg. from siege, ability to hold more supply, i dunno there are endless possibilities.

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

What KILLED Warhammer Online for most people was the absurdly HORRIBLE engine that couldn’t give you a decent framerate on ANY hardware!

I even went back to Warhammer a few months a go, on a system that is likely 10x more powerful than I had before, and the game STILL suffered crazy stuttering and FPS drop issues.

On the other hand, the Warhammer world was SOOOO much more interesting that the world of GW2, just thinking about it makes me want to go back to WAR.

Posted by: Wyrdthane.6801

Wyrdthane.6801

WvW is not completely dominated by AoE. Start running with a small group of people, and you will find out why.

or just watch the Youtube videos of small groups of people completely destroying the zergs.

Posted by: Wyrdthane.6801

Wyrdthane.6801

And thats why it’s so kittening awesome.!

if Warhammer followed the DAOC formula for rvr exactly.. like Placing siege weapons anywhere you want and kitten like that then I would still be playing that game .

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

They were probably too busy building an awesome game to bother playing someone else’s game. Did that not occur to you?

Prophetsword, do you really believe that any game developper ever creates a game without playing the competion games?

How do you think GW2 could become innovative?
Exactly by testing and analysing those other games.
Not just the strenghts, but the weaknesses too. As well as their rise and reasons for demiseā€¦

Your post makes no sense in an adult world of developping a product, sorry.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

Telenn.6945:

- public events that dont scale well. going from sickeningly easy in large groups to almost impossible to duo.

Got two characters to L80 and full exotics and barely ever ran into event scaling problems.

- game client that cant handle large fight. ghost armies appearing out of thin are.

This will probably be tweaked, though I still prefare it to the alternative of FPS hitting less than 1, which was what really happened in Warhammer Online.

- unbalanced classes

You’re comparing this game’s balance to WAR’s? Have you ever seen that video of 3 bright wizards wiping out 24 enemy players?

- alot of worldvsdoor

Was a common problem in Beta, I rarely see it happening on live.

- wvw dominated by aoe

Again, not even 1% as bad as it was on WAR. In WAR you’d be killed in 2 seconds by AoEs from a single caster. In GW2 the “worst” AoE is on the staff elementalist, and every single one of their AoEs telegraph they are about to land at least 1 second before they start doing damage, making them easily avoidable.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square