Diff between ascended and legendary armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Applejuice.4083

Applejuice.4083

I just made pvp helmet legendary and it legit has the same viper stats as my ascended. All that work for nothing?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Legendaries have always been the same stat total as ascended, with the additional ability to change stats on the fly. I fail to see the surprise.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I fail to see the surprise.

The surprise is that people still expect it to be another stat increase for some reason, even after 5 years of it not being that.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Nah its becouse they are used to it from all the other games, maybe people should read up alittle on the game they now play.

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

The main appeal of legendary stuff is the appearance. I didn’t make Bifrost because of the stats when I could’ve gotten an ascended one for less work (and the rest of my weapons were also already ascended).

Legendary stuff in general is overrated, since it’s really not necessary, and is mainly for people who have specific cosmetic interests.

inb4 someone yells at me about how the stats on legendary gear can be changed easily as if I didn’t already know.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Aren’t you also able to swap out the runes of Legendary armor without losing them and if you tried the same on Ascended, you just destroy the rune?

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Ts, you made my day.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Wait, wait… Wha?

Excuse my ignorance as I’ve never aspired to legendary gear as I know it will be well without my reach. However, you’re saying it’s no better than ascended stat wise? I never realised that!

Surely it’s a different ball game with weapons isn’t it?

Sorry if I’m out of touch, which I clearly am!

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

All Ascended gear (weapons, trinkets and armor) have the same number of stats as Legendary.

The difference is you can change what stats a Legendary piece of gear has at will. To change the stats of Ascended gear requires a bit more effort and using the Mystic Forge.

Flatley.1620

So my ascended long bow is as good as Kudzu albeit with effectively unchangeable stats and no particle effects? Wow…

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Wait, wait… Wha?

Excuse my ignorance as I’ve never aspired to legendary gear as I know it will be well without my reach. However, you’re saying it’s no better than ascended stat wise? I never realised that!

Surely it’s a different ball game with weapons isn’t it?

Sorry if I’m out of touch, which I clearly am!

Legendaries were originally exotic stats, but when ascended was added, it was raised to match those. Legendary was designed not to be a stat grind, but a cosmetic achievement in keeping with the original design of no major gear treadmills. They later added the extra function of swapping stats on the fly, which ascended cannot do.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

So my ascended long bow is as good as Kudzu albeit with effectively unchangeable stats and no particle effects? Wow…

Yes.
You can do every content with no stats issues.
And also drop the game for an instance a yeat and find your characters still capped at your return.

Flatley.1620

Thank you, I’m clear now

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

According to the Wiki, the appearance is the same for WvW and PvP armor?

Sooo, for wvw and pvp, the only difference between ascended and legendary is the purple name in the tooltip?

Is this true?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Sooo, for wvw and pvp, the only difference between ascended and legendary is the purple name in the tooltip?

Is this true?

No, tne difference is in being able to change stats on the fly. I think also runes as well?

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Is this true?

Yes, the appearance of the Structured PvP and WvW Legendary armor is not special from their “regular” counterparts, but I am quite happy with that, as I would never feel comfortable transmuting the raid Legendary armor, seeing as that has unique effects and appearances. Sure, you can transmute it back again, but I like keeping my legendaries “mint”. I also don’t want the raid set anymore, since there’s so many people running around with it by now, all looking the same aside from some color variations. The sPvP and WvW armors however, I can skin to my hearts content without feeling like I sully a special item. Of course, the sPvP and WvW armors also allows you to select your stats on the fly and to swap runes.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

You decided to spend time & resources crafting a legendary item without first finding out anything about the item?

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

For all intents and purposes, legendary armor is useless [it has the same stats as ascended, which are much easier to get or craft].

It all comes from the satisfaction of having it and the uniqueness of them and changing stats on the fly. [although i’m still waiting for an actually good Longbow]

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

The point to legendary was that it was a convenience item that may have a unique skin and allows for stat swapping. For anyone that changes stats and might be carrying multiple sets of ascended armors/weapons than it would provide a benefit. But no it was not meant to be a power upgrade over ascended at this time.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.