Differences between me and veteran player

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: this is my pin.4502

this is my pin.4502

I am not veteran player, I paid for this game with HoT like 40 or 45 eur (i am not sure).
I know that veteran players paid like 45 eur for core game and 45eur for HoT.

What you veteran players have that i dont have?
1. I heared you got character slot ( I can get character slot in game in 1 week farming).
2. And more playing time, but thats not benefit. (only if the game was infinite)

Is there more differences between players like me and veteran?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There is very little difference between you and a veteran player. Certainly nothing that will give them an advantage over you.

The biggest difference is simply that they’re likely to be more experienced with the game – they’ll probably have completed most things, maybe done them multiple times, may have spent more time on each profession…but it’s hard to say. I’ve been playing since day 1 (literally) and there’s still some dungeon paths I haven’t done. I know someone else who started on day 1 and has never played a light armoured profession – simply refuses point blank to make one for any reason. So time played is no guarantee of knowledge or experience.

They may have gotten to play Season 1 of the Living Story which is now gone (it was designed as temporary content and each release was removed when the next one came along).

Other than that I think it’s just that they’ll probably have more skins and items unlocked. When the new Season 1 box appeared in the gem store I got my free one, looked through it and realised I already had everything I wanted. Whereas I imagine a newer player will see lots of things they either want and couldn’t get before (or couldn’t afford to get) or things they didn’t even know about.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

this is my pin.4502

I forget about that Season 1
Time doesnt matter, because i can learn these things too with classes and other stuff.

I was thinking something this season 1. You veteran played it and i cant now. Thats what make you speacial.

Its litttle sad that they more support new players, then the old ones.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d say the only difference you can’t catch up with via anything but time (and effort during that time) is the AP rewards. Every 500 AP you get a chest that has some cool things in it, some boring things, but an overall accrual of account bonuses to xp, karma, magic find, gold from kills, etc. So players that have sought out the achieves and done the dailies will be earning a little more per play session than those who have not.

Not game breakingly more, but more.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Characters get birthday rewards each year, which get better. A vet player will have acrued more of those obviously. I can’t really think of anything else. Preorder bonuses maybe?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Experience, content that was removed or changed, ease of completing content when new/popular, often a wider variety of skins and items, trophies no longer available, bugs that have been fixed (some hilarious), removed/changed systems, availability/cost of some items, retired/changed Festivals, etc.

Doesn’t really matter, though, as long as you enjoy yourself. =)

this is my pin.4502

I am asking because for that different cost (90eur and 45eur) I was think that there will be something big.
And now with path of fire i read somewhere will all expansions and game cost 50eur. so this will be even more bad for veterans.

Differences in money will be cca 120 eur veteran and cca 50eur new player.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Path of Fire expansion costs less than the Heart of Thorns expansion. If you want to bundle Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns, the cost is the same as Heart of Thorns was at release.

Thus, a brand new player would pay the 50 USD (for everything), but (Core+Hot)Vets pay only 30 USD (for content they don’t already have).

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

You sure PoF includes HoT? I dunno. But this is the same for all games. Back when HoT came out, PoF didn’t exist. Veteran players have all that extra time played which they presumably found worth it.

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

Love the “what is the length of a piece of string” question…
From the game point of view… Vets have a much better grasp of the game mechanics and build that work better so, mostly, will wipe a new player – but not allways
From a quality/quantity viewpoint – will have more and better stuff
From a newbie perspective – you may beat me in this game but i am an “X” master in “X” game so you play that one and I will wipe you… (sad but true – The human animal never learns true eqality and always seems to have the need to win)
The true answer – “half as long as twice it’s length”
Say Goodnight Gracie

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

50€ isn’t completely right, since the living seasons cost extra. Active players got them for free.

Still, the biggest benefit for veteran players is the time they already got to spend on the game. If I knew I’d get the core game for free with the first expansion, I still would’ve pre-ordered the core game and played on day 1.

Also this:

Attachments:

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

this is my pin.4502

PoF not include HoT. When PoF release, you can buy HoT for 20eur and PoF for 30eur or buy together for 50eur thats what i read from somebody so i dont know if this is true.

Yeah time is nice, but only if the game was infinite. If you have 5000gold, and all bought, you are stuck and other players can make up the leeway. So time dont matter here.

In money its core game 45eur, HoT release 45eur=90eur
free to play player only buy Hot with core game for 40eur, wait they change cost so now it was like 30eur i think. 30eur free to play player VS 90 veteran
Living world you can buy for gold in game.

veteran paying so free to play players can play cheaply.
but Free to play players should pay more so veteran can play cheaply.

(edited by this is my pin.4502)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I’ve had 5 years of playing time from the very beginning.
I got all the Living Story episodes for free as I logged on when they were free.
I have gotten to play on my birthday (all day) with both my wife and both my sons and the granddaughter.
Again I have gotten to play for the last 5 years in just Guild Wars 2 alone.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This question makes little sense. Generally, veteran players will have more than new players. I mean, if you are asking if veterans got a ‘hard’ advantage because they paid more … the answer is no. I don’t even see why the question matters; if you consider the cost to play vs the time you play, it’s fractions of a dollar/euro per hour. The initial cost is almost completely irrelevant, even if it’s double what others paid. It’s almost comical that I see people complain about pricing; name a cheaper way to entertain yourself!

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

More playing time is definitely a benefit. Even putting fun aside, which you seem to want to do, think about this. If you can earn enough gold in a week to buy a character slot, how much more gold would you have had pass into (and maybe through) your account wallet if you’d had the game longer?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Your numbers are off if your trying to establish that Vets paid more than someone purchasing today.

At launch – Guild Wars 2 $59.99 Standard (plus Living World Seasons 1 + 2 free)
At launch – Heart of Thorns $49.99 Standard (plus Living World Season 3 free)
At launch – Path of Fire $ 29.99 Standard (plus Living World Season 4 free)

New player purchasing all (not including Living World Seasons 1-3) $49.99 (plus Living World Season 4 free)
New player purchasing all (plus Living World Seasons 2-4) $75.99

Yes, new players pay less than Vets for the same content, but miss out on all of Living World Season 1, all retired/changed Festivals, experience, lower cost for items, certain sales, give-aways, availability of some items, removed content, etc., etc.

What Vets gain is the new player population, making the game remain viable.