Differences between pve and wvw people

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

So I don’t know if this is the usual but I usually pvp or wvw and I came to notice the difference of people on pve and wvw are. I go to lion’s arch or anywhere in the pve world and ask for help only to be ignored and when they do respond they make it sound like a hassle to help out. In wvw, the people there actually coordinate and help each other out. They relay things to you just to let you know what’s going on without really asking too. It seems a much more tight knit than pve content people. Sadly, I’m starting to give up getting help on pve content and just stick to wvw. Sadly, I’m starting to give up getting help in pve and just stay in wvw. Do you guys notice any difference between pve and wvw people you’ve noticed?

(edited by knight.8926)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I’ve never encountered real hostility in this game, no matter which game mode (I don’t play pvp often though) – only after the introduction of megaservers people acted like gigantic kitten as they hadn’t had to be afraid to be “thrown out of the community” anymore (sounds silly but that really was a factor before) – but that settled soon(ish) afterwards.
The real difference between casual pve and wvw in my opinion is that pve players complain a lot more – but well, that’s my perception.
And btw I help anyone, no matter the game mode – I guided people to orr x² times, I explained wvw to new players y² times – guess you had some bad luck =)

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Theres both bad and good in PVE and WvW. I havnt noticed a difference between the two much. Generally when I ask something in a PvE map i get 1 or 2 replies.

One thing to remember is there are far more maps on PvE which means people are more spread out, and you may be put onto a fresh megaserver map where there are few people around.

Posted by: pants.1379

pants.1379

Yesterdays dailies – timberline falls, every second it seemed ‘events?’ in map chat, events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? <<<<<<<<<<is what my map chat looked like, it is now so bad i just turn off map chat to avoid the spam.

It was horrendous, not sure if players are just plain lazy/thick to even look on the mini map (yellow wagon wheel looking icon), or the top right corner of their screen (which points to them), but when you see this every day – during peak times when i’m either gathering or doing the same dailies….

It gets annoying to say the least

Jana.6831

it is now so bad i just turn off map chat to avoid the spam.

It was horrendous, not sure if players are just plain lazy/thick to even look on the mini map (yellow wagon wheel looking icon), or the top right corner of their screen (which points to them), but when you see this every day – during peak times when i’m either gathering or doing the same dailies….

I guess that’s from people who just came to the map – I always need to force myself not to ask what is up at towers with crosses when I come to wvw. The why: Maybe it has been said 10 times before and people would be more than annoyed to explain it another time.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

That and for the to right corner of the screen to work for them they have to 100% explored said map on the toon they are on and have disable story in the options menu.

I can bet that afew havent done the first one and alot havent done the second one.

Posted by: pants.1379

pants.1379

That and for the to right corner of the screen to work for them they have to 100% explored said map on the toon they are on and have disable story in the options menu.

I can bet that afew havent done the first one and alot havent done the second one.

That actually didn’t occur with me, about map completion, but yes i bet they haven’t adjusted their options as you have stated.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

So I don’t know if this is the usual but I usually pvp or wvw and I came to notice the difference of people on pve and wvw are. I go to lion’s arch or anywhere in the pve world and ask for help only to be ignored and when they do respond they make it sound like a hassle to help out. In wvw, the people there actually coordinate and help each other out. They relay things to you just to let you know what’s going on without really asking too. It seems a much more tight knit than pve content people. Sadly, I’m starting to give up getting help on pve content and just stick to wvw. Sadly, I’m starting to give up getting help in pve and just stay in wvw. Do you guys notice any difference between pve and wvw people you’ve noticed?

You must be in a time zone when I am either sleeping or at work or in HoT. Because if I am in LA and anyone asked for help and I know how to help, I would have replied to help.
Anyways, if you are in game and have anything, just add me.

SirDrygan.1823

Yesterdays dailies – timberline falls, every second it seemed ‘events?’ in map chat, events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? events? <<<<<<<<<<is what my map chat looked like, it is now so bad i just turn off map chat to avoid the spam.

If a player did not finished their Personal Story….the top right corner will NOT show nearby quest. It will only show their next location for their Personal Story. Only after killing Zhaitan and stopping the Living Story, only then the top right corner will show nearby events and locations.

(edited by SirDrygan.1823)

Linken.6345

You must be in a time zone when I am either sleeping or at work or in HoT. Because if I am in LA and anyone asked for help and I know how to help, I would have replied to help.
Anyways, if you are in game and have anything, just add me.

SirDrygan.1823

If a player did not finished their Personal Story….the top right corner will NOT show nearby quest. It will only show their next location for their Personal Story. Only after killing Zhaitan and stopping the Living Story, only then the top right corner will show nearby events and locations.

If you read my post you can see that this post you just did are 100% wrong.
1 you can turn off hint to personal story in options menu
2 you have to 100% explore said map on the character you play to be able to see events in top right corner.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

This is interesting because ive always found the exact opposite to be true where PvE players are helpful and the PvP populace are to put it politely …….supercalifagalisticexpialadipshyts and quite frankly sound quite like nincompoops and nitwits .

SirDrygan.1823

2 you have to 100% explore said map on the character you play to be able to see events in top right corner.

Thanks for the info.

Linken.6345

Thanks for the info.

Your very welcome mate, next time dont spread false information please.

SirDrygan.1823

Thanks for the info.

Actually, since I always had only 1 character that finished the personal storyline and 100% map, I always thought it was the case. Didn’t know it could be turned off from the option menu.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Blame the daily that needs 4 of them.

And your ‘solution’ isn’t, I was in one zone the other day and there were NO events on the mini-map and NO events shown in the top right corner. Events should be ON THE WORLD MAP so people can see them, without that you’re running around spamming chat LOOKING FOR THEM!

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

This is interesting because ive always found the exact opposite to be true where PvE players are helpful and the PvP populace are to put it politely …….supercalifagalisticexpialadipshyts and quite frankly sound quite like nincompoops and nitwits .

Thing is, the post was about PvE and WvW players – PvP players are somewhat different from WvW, who are more community-based than people who just skirmish in PvP matches.

I can’t say I’ve noticed huge differences between the two, but generally PvE players are more loot/boss/gathering/story/events/Living World savvy, whereas WvW players tend to have a good grasp of map strategy and generally have team spirit. Still, if you aren’t willing to be useful in WvW, players may not on a whole be terribly interested in chatting. That said, ever since the WvW system changed with the release of HoT, things have been different. I’ve only encountered karma trains since then, and most of those people are, well… nearly identical to PvE players.

Also, I’ve found that a lot of the better players (especially in WvW) tend to use TeamSpeak and seem to only occasionally glance at chat.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Jana.6831

Also, I’ve found that a lot of the better players (especially in WvW) tend to use TeamSpeak and seem to only occasionally glance at chat.

Not me, I hate TS. Also I’m a roamer, TS doesn’t make too much sense – I found that the better servers I’ve been on still cared a lot about map/teamchat.

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

The real difference between casual pve and wvw in my opinion is that pve players complain a lot more – but well, that’s my perception.

Let me tell you from my perspective, which means from someone who has been in multiple wvw guilds of highly different skill levels. They (about 33% of the members) complain, they do it often and they do it about pretty much everything. But they don’t do it in chat.

Jana.6831

Let me tell you from my perspective, which means from someone who has been in multiple wvw guilds of highly different skill levels. They (about 33% of the members) complain, they do it often and they do it about pretty much everything. But they don’t do it in chat.

Got you wrong the first time around that’s why I deleted that post, so again:

I’ve been to now 5 servers, one doesn’t count – I’ve also been in TS of a huge guild for some time and most of my friends in this game are wvw players from various servers. Can’t say they complain much. Things go wrong in wvw but we usually bicker for a second and then go on with whatever we’re doing. When I’m losing my temper I yell shortly in chat and log out if it’s really bad. In TS I usually just log out.
I rarely read any complaints about how unrewarding wvw is, I read complaints about coverage a lot, but that’s understandable when one is 5 vs 50, there’s always a reason why the guys in wvw complain but it’s usually only for a second. I didn’t hear anyone complaining about them having to do PvE to build up their guilds – nothing. That not on my server nor from my friends.

ETA: Just realized that I avoid PvE maps, especially farming maps. Although it might have gotten better. Whenever an event fails people are outraged and discuss this endlessly. I’ve once been to a Jormag fight and we were barely 10 people and one guy just stood there and told us it was going to fail anyway and we shouldn’t bother – non stop. Until I told him that we did that with 10 before megaservers were around. And yes, we did it, although we were ~25 during the second phase, but the first was done by us 10. In wvw I would block that guy.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Thing is, the post was about PvE and WvW players – PvP players are somewhat different from WvW, who are more community-based than people who just skirmish in PvP matches.

WvW /PvP is all the same to me the scale changes nothing .The fact remains PvE oriented people have been far more friendly in my experience . In all honesty the OP using LA as an example is a terrible once since its the crossroads between PvE and WvW/PvP players so who’s to say which population is being rude in that scenario ? Step into any other zone and ask a question and i guarantee you there will be someone willing to answer if they know .

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

The 1 thing that I find annoying in pve is when people as “when is xx bos due” in map chat. I always say “alt tab and Google gw2 boss timer” we had to, so can they. It’s even worse when the pre events start and people still ask. I will gladly Hellp people do quests, reviving ect.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Huh? You must have run into the wrong PVEers. Most of the PVEers I have encountered are potential allies but there are some real kittens too. I suspect much is the same in ANY game mode.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Competitive play vs non-competitive play.

What a silly thread.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

It must be a bug then because I have had PS turned off for almost a year and it has not budged from my screen. Once HOT came out I started not seeing event notifications, even for events I was IN (yes, I reported that one) no matter what my settings of what I should see were. Interestingly this seems to be random as sometimes I see them and other times not, one time I saw it by backing away from the center of an event.

As to events not being called out, especially during dailies, is anyone surprised? Unless I see tell-tail NPC dialogue or there is a known break in the action any WP listing I map chat will have a string of numbers before it. Because events do not scale that well I have to get in some shots before it is completed.

Map chat can get toxic as all it takes is one person to get on a rant. If you whisper to someone (especially someone you know will have a good reaction, like a guildie or someone who is being good in map chat) you will usually get better results. Just do not expect a reply right away because they might not be able to pause to type right now.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I hear you, it gets real annoying, people just don’t have any patience/initiative anymore.

I hate hearing the “event’s, where are the event’s?” thing myself so I NEVER use it. I think it is mainly an issue that people come to the map and ask straight away simply because they have no clue what to do and just stand there and ask.

Seriously? You come to a map and just stand there and ask? You can’t think to go out and gather some resources and try and find any for yourself while you wait for someone to call one? It’s very selfish behaviour, wanting everyone else to do the work for them. If they DID go out and gather/try to look for themselves and then call it out for others then they would be pulling their share.

Personally I make it a note to WP in to the WP that is nearest to the farming fields/patches and make my way to farm those while I wait for someone to call an event out. If by the time I am done digging these up if no event is still called out, NP I will go and gather the nearest thing on my map in the direction where I know events usually pop up.

People these days…..and I thought the Queensdale Champ Trains gave people bad habits. It seems they just have them naturally!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Competitive play vs non-competitive play.

What a silly thread.

You can also bet that the OP would be saying the exact opposite if the WvW maps allowed map chat for all sides to see each others chats. Just imagine it, it would be worse than the PvP lobby and that’s the WORST place out of all 3 (Pve/WvW/PvP).

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

becoz in wvw, ppl are actually busy playing the game – taking note of chats, surroundings etc. it also require some level of team work

but in pve, most ppl r juz soloing thus they dont care about the chats.

so, is obvious there are less ppl responding to u in pve even though pve has more ppl than wvw.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

something else to consider… alot of times I have guild chat on and am involved in a conversation there. Alot of times I never see the map chat… Its not that I hate the community, or have no interest in helping, but I am a member of an active guild that I love to play with. Therefore I spend alot of time talking there instead of map chat. WvW kinda forces you into the map chat area as you all need to communicate well in order to take objectives etc… Its not that people are rude or mean, the game type just fits one style better than the other per say.

Posted by: Destyre.5217

Destyre.5217

Influx of new players with the expansion. Some will play the game for a bit and move onto something else within a few weeks, others will play on. This game is one of the least toxic MMOs out there and the community, by and large, is one of the most friendly that I have seen. Differences between WvW and PvE? I’d suggest that maybe some people in PvE are busy doing things with/without their guild or just want to be left alone, nothing wrong with that. The beauty of this game is that you can do community events without being forced to socialise. It’s wonderful. If you get stuck and no one answers you in chat, I’d recommend just googling things. This game is so convoluted and unintuitive at times that I just leave the wiki open in the background to be honest.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

To my surprise, I’ve actually found PvP Lobby chat to be generally pleasant and people to be helpful. Yes, occasionally someone makes some outlandish claims of personal prowess or “talks smack” and people call them out on it, but by and large, it’s just people chatting about what works for them and helping others who have questions.

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

The fact remains PvE oriented people have been far more friendly in my experience .

Stepping into Auric Basin right after a failed meta event has me disagreeing with said “fact”. Some PvEr spamming mapchat and calling everyone noobs for failing the event and this was only three days after HoT had been out. LOL.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Thanks for the info.

Most people tell information they believe is true. Hard to not spread false information if you don’t know that its false.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol