Diminishing Returns in Lab

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Make Rye Known.6273

Make Rye Known.6273

I don’t think ANet is being paternalistic. I think they have set up a system to protect us from the economic harm caused by bots and we have simply become too efficient at farming the lab. It’s entirely possible that they changed nothing and we are just better at defeating the bosses and collecting loot. It’s possible, therefore, that we are running into DR much sooner than ANet expected regular people to do.

A couple of people have asked ANet to offer more details about how DR works. ANet isn’t likely to do that, because it undermines their anti-botting efforts. (And it would also undermine any attempt to protect us from our own selves.)

DR works best if it’s mysterious, making it harder for bots to work-around and easier to identify accounts that found a programmatic way to avoid it (something us regular players wouldn’t be able to so).

As I stated earlier in the post, it doesn’t stop anyone, it’s only interrupting legitimate players from farming the way they like.
They should use another way of protecting the economy not using DR that is a DRM clone.

edit
Also the game emphasise so much on farm, so for it to have something that block that farm is just not viable. Everything in the game requires you to farm for hours, you ca’t have blocks like this in a game that focuses on you farming for hours.

(edited by Make Rye Known.6273)

Posted by: Make Rye Known.6273

Make Rye Known.6273

Btw for anyone saying they are trying to get you to stop playing for awhile:

You have to be online for 30 min on the character, your DR won’t go away by being offline, so you are not playing less you actually end up playing more

Posted by: Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

“Your message has been suppressed due to excessive messaging” on WvW when all I said within two minutes were a scout message and DR in Labyrinth, which festival event. Are you kidding me….

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

this is an MMO, its all about keeping the player base happy enuff to stay and play, all the while, wasting as much of that time as they can. its a business model used since mmo inception.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I have a hard time expressing DR without getting an infraction, all I can say is I hate it! I was really happy to be leveling an alt and getting good loot but noooooooooooe!

Posted by: minion.1987

minion.1987

this would kill the game for some people and the event.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

If DR hits after 1 hour, isn’t that a good thing considering we’re actually meant to be taking a 5-10 minute break from computer games for every hour we play? All you kind of have to do to reset DR is log off and back on again really, or change character. It’s not that big a deal.

I should have the abillity to decide when I want to spend my time playing, the game shouldn’t dictate my game time e.e

and DR doesn’t get removed by going offline, you have to be ingame for it to go off.

Of course, I agree it’s up to you if and when you take a break. I’m not saying the DR should be there to take that decision away from you or dictate, just that it’s a positive coincidence that it also coincides with when one should take a quick break from the game, for the sake of one’s health.

And regarding DR – it’s very simple to reset it. You don’t even have to go offline even if that did reset it. A simple map change or character change for 1 or 2 minutes is enough.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

between the lag and the DR its totally killed it, not even interested anymore

Posted by: Valoofx.1798

Valoofx.1798

DR as a concept here is a bandaid fix for problems it doesn’t even fix. The game requires you to farm, but at the same time annoys or prevents you from doing just that. And how does waiting 30minutes prevent bots? Not in the slightest. Program it to do the same; so that’s just rhetoric. If i can still farm, they can still farm. But it’s annoying for real players. There are soo many activities in the game already with daily or timely limits that force you to not do them for as long as you like if you want to be effective, that farming DR is the last barrier for a base activity found in every mmo that this game just doesn’t need. It doesn’t even reliably improve the economy (maybe if people quit the game out of annoyance, but that is undesirable and not a positive user experience).
The designers at ArenaNet need to understand that, atleast for events where people are expected to farm, they need to lift the DR. I’d be fine with DR in situations where it could really create an imbalance, but this just feels slapped on and not tested for the playing experience of a huge portion of their players.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Loot/event DR isn’t something I’ve ran into very often in normal play, but it becomes an issue very quickly with the farming that is practically a requirement if you want the rewards from this event. With account bound RNG rewards that have tiny drop chances and items that require over 100,000 candy corn(or over 1000g you are willing to spend), DR has no place in the Labyrinth. It needs to be a farming free-for-all for the short time it’s available each year.

An event like Halloween should be about having fun and playing the content to get rewards, not being restricted by ineffective anti-farming measures that push you into using existing funds to acquire the event rewards. Opening up your gold wallet should be the last resort after being unlucky with RNG, or an upfront decision for instant gratification. Instead, it’s the corner the game backs us into by trying to make getting rewards from playing not a viable option.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Valoofx.1798

Valoofx.1798

It is not that hard for botters, they just follow the same rules you do. Swapping characters, waiting the required time, swapping maps. If you know what helps, bots can easily be programmed to do the same. In the end it comes down to: Anet doesn’t tell us how DR works exactly to prevent that, we test it, we find the rules, we play by those rules -> bots use those rules. It’s a meaningless race that in the end only hurts players (and we know that DR is not in the game to prevent botting.. ).

(edited by Valoofx.1798)

Posted by: Spiritz Wamphryi.8316

Spiritz Wamphryi.8316

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns going by that its not time on map activated but amount of foes killed – so in laby in big zerg you will in theory get DR faster than farming elsewhere .
“The more often a character loots from similar foes within an area, the more quickly DR triggers.”
This does seem to explain why ppl are reporting dr in laby with diff times – maybe some are in a smaller zerg and others in a big zerg.
Anet knows its something we cant circumnavigate and get around ( eg bypass ) and I wish one of the staff would state the exact conditions for DR – blowing the secret wont make any difference to players but it would make things eabetter and avoid confusion ( and players arguing who is right/wrong ) – like knowing sitting in la for hrs wont change dr or doing some events elsewhere for xxx time will remove DR

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

To get rid of DR should you go to another zone entirely or just to the normal, non-instanced LA?

I have been doing the latter but am not sure I am removing DR. Please anet, if you will give us this insane mechanic at least document it!

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns going by that its not time on map activated but amount of foes killed – so in laby in big zerg you will in theory get DR faster than farming elsewhere .
“The more often a character loots from similar foes within an area, the more quickly DR triggers.”
This does seem to explain why ppl are reporting dr in laby with diff times – maybe some are in a smaller zerg and others in a big zerg.
Anet knows its something we cant circumnavigate and get around ( eg bypass ) and I wish one of the staff would state the exact conditions for DR – blowing the secret wont make any difference to players but it would make things eabetter and avoid confusion ( and players arguing who is right/wrong ) – like knowing sitting in la for hrs wont change dr or doing some events elsewhere for xxx time will remove DR

I think character build is also a consideration- I hit DR way faster on my level 80 DH, who is in a mix of exotic and ascended gear than I do on my up-leveled thief who is in greens and maybe a few pieces of award-on-level gear. If you’re a more efficient tagger, you get more loot and you hit DR faster.