in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Anet? Promises? Bwahaha!

DirectX 11/12 request [merged]

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Excuse me for interrupting the showing-off, but interestingly there’s now a fan-made DX11 renderer for classic single-player RPG Gothic II.

Since this seems beyond ANet, perhaps we can motivate those modders to look into GW2 next? ^.^

… And back to posting hardware specs, or whatever else suits the compensation requirements.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Excuse me for interrupting the showing-off, but interestingly there’s now a fan-made DX11 renderer for classic single-player RPG Gothic II.

Since this seems beyond ANet, perhaps we can motivate those modders to look into GW2 next? ^.^

… And back to posting hardware specs, or whatever else suits the compensation requirements.

Ah yes, lets compare an old and much less complex single player game to a modern MMO game.

Modders can’t really do much in this area without access to engine codes and such, which, understandably, ArenaNet do not supply.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

intel i7 3.4GHz
Nvidia geforce 770 GTX 2GB
corsair 2X 4GB
no performance loss, update your PC…..

Yes man, update your potato as fast as possible. Gtx 770 and some i7 3,4ghz probably from second generation lol. Nice museum over there.

You gave yourself a good advice, now to work.

this “museum” piece still outruns most you ppl’s PC’s by a mile, FPS is to me so fast i HAVE to use V-sync or i get tearing all the time.
do i have to mention ivy bridge maybe?

Ivy bridge is actually quite old. But yeah you can be proud, that 3,4 ghz is op as well. Gtx 770 with his mighty 2gb of vram is scary too..

Sadly unlike you i have i5 4690k clocked to 4,6ghz and i want i can push it out to 4,9 without any problem.

Along with that msi gtx 970 clocked to 1500mhz, 16gb ram corsair vengeance 2100mhz. I should mention other stuff like samsung 850 pro and so on (i have few extras) but i dont think thats necessary. I wish ya good luck outrunning my pc.

Meanwhile we would like to see fps getting fixed.

I use the old Ivy Bridge.

I’m currently running ~5years old(little older probably) i7 3770k OC’ed to 4.2 stable,(24/7 usage). I have been able to get it to go to 4.6 while upping the vcore but it gets a bit hot, and would only do under a custom WCloop(using a CL currently).
Sli’d 970s at 1425mhz
Sasmsung pro evo 120
Asus z77 sabretooth

I get ~90fps on 4k during regular battles, drops down to 50-60 in heavy use will all models open

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The i7-3770K was introduced 3 years ago. April 29th, 2012 to be exact.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

My 3770k is stable at 4.5 on an H100i and it is fine. I still think that GW2 could use an API update but like Behellagh said it is up to them if it is worth it or not.
I really really doubt that GW2 will get an API update , heck I am still using injectors for AA since I cant stand FXAA.
GW2 is a great game but the engine cant handle zerg world metas and some WvW battles. I have had world metas drop to 20fps or less which is annoying but after this long I am sadly used to it now lol.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Yay seems this thread is still up. Welp. I wanted to share this with you guys

http://n4g.com/news/1718314/first-cryengine-directx-12-demo-trailer-from-king-of-wushu-shows-dx11-comparison

The game has been written entirely in DirectX 11. Then they ported it to DirectX 12. For 6 weeks (2 engineers). Enough said. Initial performance charts show at least 10% overall improvement, dramatically less CPU usage and more work for the GPU.

How’s that for a non-ancient and non-singleplayer game. Its high paced MOBA, if you don’t know what it is.

So much for “overhauling the whole game engine”. At this point I’m going to go ahead and call ANet lazy.

Oh btw since you guys like to bring finances and subscriptions and kitten like that. Snail Games is a F2P company. With a game portfolio that could only wish for the income Gw2 is getting.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

They simply don’t have an engine team. No work has been done on the engine since the culling’s removal.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

A large number of the top grossing/most profitable titles are F2P at this point. They build a quality game, give players the content they want, and offer those players the means to achieve the best experience possible in those games via real money—this is speaking to offering QoL/cosmetics, not those that are entirely P2W, though they make as much if not more in some cases. Regardless, there are already games out that are much more pleasing graphically/stability wise than Guild Wars 2 at this point, and without updates, titles like Black Desert and Blade & Soul—if it ever shows up—are just going to leave it looking that much more dated.

This game is perhaps in need of an even more thorough overhaul, but there are things the Anet team can do to rectify some of the shortcomings. FFXIV bit the bullet and did a full engine overhaul. We’ve seen what Blizzard did with WoW to at least try and keep it relevant for as long as possible. I haven’t seen a single post praising this game for not being able to give players the stable frame rates that they experience with many of their other MMOs of choice. Dinosaurs will die, and in this case it might be a slow decay, but it won’t be any less real.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

What relevance does specific hardware and CPU release dates have to do with this issue? If this requested change does not positively impact a rather large portion of the playerbase (without requiring hardware updates), how could it even be considered from a business standpoint?

Nobody is disputing that an upgrade of the game to DX11 or DX12 wouldn’t improve the game experience (for those that have the hardware to take advantage of the change). The question here is how does this improvement benefit Anet financially? That is a valid question and the FIRST one NCSoft will ask when they look at the project proposal. I’m not saying it has no impact, but exactly how would you measure it if you were trying to convince someone that it will make more money?

I’m of the opinion that short of flat out lying to the higher ups with massaged numbers (a marketing specialty, BTW), you can’t do it. How easy it is to do is this update is something we can debate about all night long, but if you can’t prove to the decision makers this change is going to generate some additional revenue, it’s a pointless pursuit.

I’m 100% speculating, but seeing how Anet hasn’t mentioned this issue since before release, I tend to think I’m more right than wrong. It’s been looked at and has been determined to NOT be economically feasible (even if some players here want to wish it to be).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Behellagh.1468

Yay seems this thread is still up. Welp. I wanted to share this with you guys

http://n4g.com/news/1718314/first-cryengine-directx-12-demo-trailer-from-king-of-wushu-shows-dx11-comparison

The game has been written entirely in DirectX 11. Then they ported it to DirectX 12. For 6 weeks (2 engineers). Enough said. Initial performance charts show at least 10% overall improvement, dramatically less CPU usage and more work for the GPU.

How’s that for a non-ancient and non-singleplayer game. Its high paced MOBA, if you don’t know what it is.

So much for “overhauling the whole game engine”. At this point I’m going to go ahead and call ANet lazy.

Oh btw since you guys like to bring finances and subscriptions and kitten like that. Snail Games is a F2P company. With a game portfolio that could only wish for the income Gw2 is getting.

Since our game isn’t written in DirectX 11 and that significant changes exist between Dx9 and Dx10 (changes from Dx10 to 11 aren’t as significant) or did you forget that our game is written in Dx9?

And even if it was, current performance may be acceptable to ANet so it’s not a priority other than dabbling around the edges.

RIP City of Heroes

Ravenmoon.5318

I’m pretty certain that the effort required to add another renderer path alongside Dx11 is pretty much the same as Dx9 to 12, for the simple reason that from what is released in press, they way the whole thing works, is nothing alike. Your whole pipeline changes and we all know that multiple cores are double edged knife. Who’s going to synchronize all those cores? DirectX 11 doesn’t even ask this question.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

I want 11 before 12 i dont even want windows 10 at all.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Wow this silly thread is still running (and stupidly I´m bumping it).

Less than 10% of people reading this probably even have a true Dx12 hardware compatible GFX card.
And that´s in the “oh so rich” west.

Everybody knows the majority of Asia is running this game on potatoes and THAT´S why this game WILL NOT be ported to anything better than Dx9.

BTW we also are completely ignoring the masses who´re running this on a similarly potato laptop, right all you Misters Dx12?

PS. please lock this.
I´m sure this argument has already been stated but who can be bothered to read all this stuff. So this thread is probably chasing its own tail already.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

most people, including the “majority in Asia” HawkMeister.4758 mentioned, nowadays play games on computer capable of running DX11.

port the game to DX11. no need DX12 just yet.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Behellagh.1468

XP in Asia is down to 15.6% according to Statcounter. Europe 5.9%, NA 6.8%, SA 10.7% and Oceania 3.8%. China specifically 29.3%.

RIP City of Heroes

Ravenmoon.5318

nVidia has stated that anything over GTX 5xx will be Dx12-capable. I haven’t seen 5xx series in a long while. AMD are being a bit dodgy about this topic but i see no reason not to assume that every GCN card (Radeon HD 7xxx series and up) would have Dx 12 support.

Plus, adding Dx11/12 support doesn’t mean Dx9 will be gone. I don’t see what’s all the fuss about….

lordkrall.7241

Because you are still disregarding the fact that maintaining multiple renderers takes money and resources. Something that could be rather hard for ArenaNet to justify.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Instead coming here moaning how bad and lazy anet devs are at optimizing the game, why not to do something useful and offer the money and a team of programmers to optimize the game?

Why is so difficult for people to understand anet devs won’t update game engine nor API because they DON’T WANT.
Everybody should know anet already has thought about upgrading to dx11, and if they haven’t done that is because there should be reasons, and those are not they are not capable (they upgraded gw1 from dx8 to dx9).

Maybe, and only maybe, upgrading to dx11 or dx12 is not cost and time worthly. Maybe they decided to stay to dx9 because moving to a newer api would require millions and months, even years, as THE GAME ENGINE OF GW2 IS PROPERTY OF ANET.

So please, do yourself a favor and stop wasting time trying to argue how anet devs are lazy cause other games that use third party game engines are super easy to port to dx12…

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Ravenmoon.5318

Instead coming here moaning how bad and lazy anet devs are at optimizing the game, why not to do something useful and offer the money and a team of programmers to optimize the game?

Why is so difficult for people to understand anet devs won’t update game engine nor API because they DON’T WANT.
Everybody should know anet already has thought about upgrading to dx11, and if they haven’t done that is because there should be reasons, and those are not they are not capable (they upgraded gw1 from dx8 to dx9).

Maybe, and only maybe, upgrading to dx11 or dx12 is not cost and time worthly. Maybe they decided to stay to dx9 because moving to a newer api would require millions and months, even years, as THE GAME ENGINE OF GW2 IS PROPERTY OF ANET.

So please, do yourself a favor and stop wasting time trying to argue how anet devs are lazy cause other games that use third party game engines are super easy to port to dx12…

Are you a potato? Literally just 2 posts above I gave you a link showing that a renderer is written from scratch for 6 weeks by 2 engineers.

kitten , if you were a boss of a large IT firm i’d love to work with you. Paying me millions of dollars and giving me deadlines in months for simple projects. kitten I would love to work there

Here’s the newsflash. Most APIs are made to be used by people. Also software engineers aren’t MENSA members and/or are not even close, neither are they astrophysicists. So those APIs are written in a way that they could be used by the average joe know’s to code.

Also there is this myth going around in the programmer’s world. That you are either a rockstar ninja devops or you suck completely. That is not the case. There is place for average coders and there are average coders. And they can work perfectly well with DirectX.

Ansau.7326

Yes, I’m a potato because I point out those 2 engineers ported a game that uses a third party game engine that receives millions to be developed and it’s continuously improved, so it is way easier to do it than it would be with gw2.

Keep bringing single player games or mobas that use third party game engines and are way simpler than a mmo, able to handle 60vs60vs60 players fights, +50 servers and things like a shared market, different games mode, 2 weekly updates… It only makes our points more true and it makes you kept in an endless loop about possible optimization (which has never been a discussed thing, yet it’s the thing you keep repeating).

If you think it’s so easy, get the money and the programmers and talk to anet to do it. Until then, newer api won’t come, regardless the benefits it could bring.

End of the discussion.

(edited by Ansau.7326)

lordkrall.7241

Ravenmoon: So, why don’t you find someone else and create a render from scratch in 6 weeks? Since apparently it is soooooo easy.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Less than 10% of people reading this probably even have a true Dx12 hardware compatible GFX card.
And that´s in the “oh so rich” west.

Everybody knows the majority of Asia is running this game on potatoes and THAT´S why this game WILL NOT be ported to anything better than Dx9.

BTW we also are completely ignoring the masses who´re running this on a similarly potato laptop, right all you Misters Dx12?

PS. please lock this.
I´m sure this argument has already been stated but who can be bothered to read all this stuff. So this thread is probably chasing its own tail already.

Direct X 12 will be used on Fermi (and beyond) Nvidia GPUs, which includes GeForce 400s first released on April 12, 2010, about 5 years ago. So you are saying that only 10% of players are using more “recent” hardware? Have you seen how the game plays on a GeForce400? Let me tell you it aint pretty, barely playable. Yet with dx12 it might be more playable than it is now. How about more recent GPUs that are on the lower end? Same deal with them, unplayable now, but might get a worthwhile boost in the future with dx12.

I’m sure this argument has already been stated but you didn’t bother to read it all.

maddoctor.2738

Ravenmoon: So, why don’t you find someone else and create a render from scratch in 6 weeks? Since apparently it is soooooo easy.

It’s been well known that modders add higher DX support by creating new rendering engines for various games. I already posted an example how some people created a DX10 renderer for a famous (but very old gaming engine) that was written for DX6 (Unreal Engine 1) to upgrade the engine’s features, add more functionality and support for newer GPUs. It’s not uncommon, in fact it’s very common with games that are open to modders.

Those are all posted earlier on this thread, among the “only Blizzard did it because they had money” non sense.

As to your big question, the reason is because GW2 is an MMORPG and they don’t want to expose their code to the public, so we can only wait for their devs to do it themselves. If they did we would already have DX10/11 renderers available by now.

Just take a look at the camera. Although the more recent camera changes are nice, some of those features (and way way more) have been created by modders ages ago. Those mods are more complete and offer more options than the recent camera changes made by Anet themselves. Is it because their in-house camera dev is less competent than a random modder who doesn’t even have access to the game code? No, it’s because they simply don’t want certain changes to their game.

It’s the same with DX12, they do not want to implement it. That’s why posts like this will continue to appear, or this one will continue getting bumped. Unfortunately the arguments against adding DX12 are very weird in my opinion. What is anyone going to lose if they implement a new renderer? Why are people against this? The people working on the game engine are not the gameplay programmers, they are not the art or the story team. So what terrible thing is going to happen if they dedicate some time / effort to upgrade their aging engine? Nothing.

Ravenmoon.5318

For the simple reason that I do not have the source code of Gw2. Plus I do not work at an AAA game studio so Microsoft will not give me access to the SDKs. Could do Dx11 if sources are provided though.

Also the quite obvious fact that, as a paying customer who wants the best, it is not my job to do it. As I stated in my OP, I’m willing to pay. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Meanwhile, if you don’t want it, you can keep using Dx9 on your potato PCs.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

They simply don’t have an engine team. No work has been done on the engine since the culling’s removal.

^ Mainly this. Like in every other MMO.

The engine is more or less ready in the end before they start to design the game world
so there is simply ne engine team needed for most of the time.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

The people working on the game engine are not the gameplay programmers, they are not the art or the story team.

Either the renderer guys have nothing to do. Then it is quite likely that they aren’t even there any more. Why have someone on your payroll if his/her job is complete?

Or they are still hired. Then they are still around for a reason. Maybe they are working on such a feature, then this request is obsolete since it happens anyways. Or they are working on something different, then they won’t stop that just to do a new renderer.

The only thing you can hope for is that the topic “support newer DX version” travels upwards on the priority list. Then you should present a good reason. I have yet to come across one. “Because it looks better” or “because it performs better” isn’t that strong of a reason in a game that in its current state is good enough for a potentially large share of its target market. What is the true economical gain?

maddoctor.2738

^ Mainly this. Like in every other MMO.

The engine is more or less ready in the end before they start to design the game world
so there is simply ne engine team needed for most of the time.

This is NOT true. Their graphic engine team created new shaders for the karka back when Southsun was released to make their skin “change” when they reach low hit points (and they change their skills at that point and refill their health). Also, they created tons of new shaders for the entire southsun cove (those water-y effects)

They now had to find how to implement the fires for the wyvern fight in a way that wasn’t killing FPS for everyone. Create new shaders for the Wyvern fire breathing attack and others. They are probably the same team who created the new shaders for new weapons like the Tormented weapons, or armor like the Zodiac.

New animations that were impossible before, like certain cutscenes in S2 of the LS, and many many others. Their engine team is alive and is working on the game. It’s quite possible that they had to tweak the engine in many places to allow certain effects in HoT that’s why they’ve been so busy with the game and can’t do other things.

You can’t say that their engine team is dead when there are tons upon tons of new unique visual effects available in the game now.

maddoctor.2738

The people working on the game engine are not the gameplay programmers, they are not the art or the story team.

Either the renderer guys have nothing to do. Then it is quite likely that they aren’t even there any more. Why have someone on your payroll if his/her job is complete?

Or they are still hired. Then they are still around for a reason. Maybe they are working on such a feature, then this request is obsolete since it happens anyways. Or they are working on something different, then they won’t stop that just to do a new renderer.

The only thing you can hope for is that the topic “support newer DX version” travels upwards on the priority list. Then you should present a good reason. I have yet to come across one. “Because it looks better” or “because it performs better” isn’t that strong of a reason in a game that in its current state is good enough for a potentially large share of its target market. What is the true economical gain?

If better performance and better visual quality wasn’t something they are interested in, then their team wouldn’t be so hard at work to make new complicated shaders for the karka and the wyvern. They could very easily use the old systems and make even the best systems play at 10 FPS.

So they DO want efficiency, performance and quality, the question is how much easier would’ve been using a more recent and advanced renderer. For example, from recent previews it’s very clear that DX12 supports way more draw calls than DX11, so if they used DX12 -maybe- they wouldn’t even need to create new specific shaders just for the Wyvern to count for the thousands of little flame particle effects. In DX12 it could support all those flame particles without slowing performance.

I think performance and quality are both good reasons.

Behellagh.1468

Partial Dx12 support will be available on nVidia Fermi CPU and on and AMD GCN GPUs and on.

Problem throwing out model number ranges is both companies have a bad habit of rebadging old GPUs with the current GPU family even though they aren’t. And last I read the Fermi drivers weren’t quite working yet but that was a month or so ago.

And to be clear, 98% support isn’t 100% so it’s still partial in my book.

RIP City of Heroes

edgarallanpwn.8739

Partial Dx12 support will be available on nVidia Fermi CPU and on and AMD GCN GPUs and on.

Problem throwing out model number ranges is both companies have a bad habit of rebadging old GPUs with the current GPU family even though they aren’t. And last I read the Fermi drivers weren’t quite working yet but that was a month or so ago.

And to be clear, 98% support isn’t 100% so it’s still partial in my book.

Even then its not true support. It’s been stated that any dx12 capabilities are software based, as…… its still being developed.

So currently the units they stated will support some and possibly most features of dx12, but not all, and not as well as the hardware that’s actually designed to run it

Ansau.7326

Even then its not true support. It’s been stated that any dx12 capabilities are software based, as…… its still being developed.

So currently the units they stated will support some and possibly most features of dx12, but not all, and not as well as the hardware that’s actually designed to run it

Dx12 has also hardware limitations. Tahiti only has 2 effective ACE (Asynchronous Compute Engines) while Hawaii and Tonga have 8.
Also Nvidia is much more restricted than AMD. You can see some differences in the photo.

Attachments:

edgarallanpwn.8739

Dx12 has also hardware limitations. Tahiti only has 2 effective ACE (Asynchronous Compute Engines) while Hawaii and Tonga have 8.
Also Nvidia is much more restricted than AMD. You can see some differences in the photo.

Wondering what exactly maxwell v2 is. From what i understood, the 970s should be able to emulate most of it, at least from what nvidia says. From what little i can find, i think the 970s are v2, or will be able to do so, and then the next set of cards released should be full HW support hopefully.

If even the 970’s are stuck under the regular section, that just gives me more reason to whine at nvidia and get a refund for both of these cards

Behellagh.1468

Maxwell v1 (GM10x) on the desktop are the GTX 745/750/750 Ti. Maxwell v2 (GM20x) are the GTX 960-980 and the Titan X.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Ravenmoon.5318

That 40 fps in HotM in the last night’s stream though xD Very optimize.

Posted by: Vink.6453

Vink.6453

Microsoft/NVIDIA/AMD claim DX12 provides a lot of performance and visual improvements on existing hardware
So it would be really nice if ArenaNet can start working on this.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

The claims are true, as is the fact there are already threads on the issue.

The short answer is: highly unlikely and for good reasons.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Direct X 12 will be used on Fermi (and beyond) Nvidia GPUs, which includes GeForce 400s first released on April 12, 2010, about 5 years ago. So you are saying that only 10% of players are using more “recent” hardware?

TRUE DX12 HARDWARE.
Only the latest 9xx Nvidias and the latest AMD are that.

EVERYTHING else is the typical Micro$hit compatibility marketing speak.
Designed to dupe people like you into believing their old but perfectly OK hardware will benefit from dumping another wad of cash down the Microsoft toilet for yet another useless OS “upgrade”.

Of course I didn´t read the whole thread.
It´s just another hype train based on arguably impressive benchmarks and demos that are run on ridiculously expensive first adopter latest gen. hardware.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Direct X 12 will be used on Fermi (and beyond) Nvidia GPUs, which includes GeForce 400s first released on April 12, 2010, about 5 years ago. So you are saying that only 10% of players are using more “recent” hardware?

TRUE DX12 HARDWARE.

The most important thing Dx12 does is solving a software (API) problem. The hardware part is indeed only supported by the latest hardware and even that cannot yet be confirmed, but the big thing, the performance increase is mainly a software change and so there is no need for the true Dx12 hardware for that part.

That is also the main reason people here talk about Dx12, for the performance increase.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Pretty much ^ In big part you don’t need the latest DX12 compatible GPU in order to profit from the DX12 performance increase.

Back when DX10 came out i had a native DX9 card…..when jumping from DX9 to 10 (even tho i kept my DX9 card) the performance increase in games was actually very noticeable. Like ~10FPS more in big fights at a lower stress for the PC in general…which is a LOT considering those games were good enough before the upgrade.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

FFXIV just released a test for their new DX11 client…

For a game like Guild Wars 2 I don’t expect to use a 10(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) year old API given the fact that they introduced DX9 with GW Factions after DX8. Can’t be THAT hard to implement.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Ansau.7326

It’s not only a software problem, some of these improvements can only be achieved with new hardware features, like asynchronous compute or asynchronous DMA (it’s like hypethreading for gpu).
Fermi, most of Kepler and HD Intel don’t have the hardware to use these technologies…

lordkrall.7241

For a game like Guild Wars 2 I don’t expect to use a 10(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) year old API given the fact that they introduced DX9 with GW Factions after DX8. Can’t be THAT hard to implement.

You are assuming that the step between DX9 and DX10/11/12 is as small as the step between DX8 to DX9.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

You are assuming that the step between DX9 and DX10/11/12 is as small as the step between DX8 to DX9.

For anyone who thinks this, it is NOT a small step. DX9 did funky memory management where it basically doubled all needed memory. If a game required 750MB of VRAM, DX9 funkily used up over 1GB. This causes an unnecessary lag that basically takes whatever hardware you throw at it laughs in the hardware’s face.

Even if we don’t get DX12, DX11 would be such a vast improvement FPS wise that it would be night and day. Suddenly those older laptops, which are likely also DX11 capable considering how old it is, would go from 10-15fps on high settings to 25fps+.

I cannot possibly express how amazing DX11 is compared to DX9, and my understanding (though I haven’t seen it myself) is there is an equal gap between DX11 and DX12, though I don’t know how much hardware can currently support it.

Honestly, just adding in DX11 support would be amazing, not even considering the aesthetics aspect.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

That’s why you have multiple options. If someone tries to run the DX11/12 client, he will get a popup saying he’s PC can’t support it or WHATEVER..and give him the alternative method.

Ravenmoon.5318

TRUE DX12 HARDWARE.

Designed to dupe people like you into believing their old but perfectly OK hardware will benefit from dumping another wad of cash down the Microsoft toilet for yet another useless OS “upgrade”.

It´s just another hype train based on arguably impressive benchmarks and demos that are run on ridiculously expensive first adopter latest gen. hardware.

You must be wearing some pretty thick tinfoil hat.
If you don’t get the pun, or live under a rock, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, even to pirates.

When do we stop beating on a dead horse (E.g. moneyz for OS)

Ravenmoon.5318

If ANet are not following the developments on Dx12 I wish to toss this link for them too

http://wccftech.com/directx-12-multiadapter-technology-discrete-integrated-gpus-work-coherently-demo-shows-big-performance-gains/

Basically, DirectX12 will utilize even your integrated graphics to speed up your gaming. And Microsoft are still optimizing it, yet there is still improvement.

This is not even Crossfire/SLI. This is, for the apparently some us, utilizing the integrated graphics cores even though we haven’t really used them in …. forever. But since our chipsets support it /o/ so be it xD

The big winners of this might actually be AMD’s APUs, that already pack better graphic cores than intel and most people still buy a discrete card on top of the PSU for the crossfire support. This seems a bit more elegant.

edgarallanpwn.8739

TRUE DX12 HARDWARE.

You must be wearing some pretty thick tinfoil hat.
If you don’t get the pun, or live under a rock, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, even to pirates.

When do we stop beating on a dead horse (E.g. moneyz for OS)

Insider info: Windows 10 will be pushed. Automatically. Whether you want it or not. It’s required. You don’t get a choice unless you specifically do something to stop it.

I haven’t heard anything that says they are going to change their mind about this yet.

Behellagh.1468

Yeah, the Win 10 loader has already been installed as an optional Windows patch a month or two ago.

RIP City of Heroes