Disable invisible/offline whisper

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

[Suggestion] cannot put in topic as it is too long

Please addess this invisible/offline whispering.

If a players choose to go offline or invisible, they shouldn’t be able to whisper another person with insult.

Please fix thank you.

Edit:
Players goes offline, its only normal, I am always offline during league seasons, I know some of the problems mentioned below.

After review feedbacks below, tweak this:

If I go offline, I whisper anohter player, this give this particular player the ability to whisper me (the offline player) in return one time, even if I am offline, but not other players whom I have not send a whisper to, unless I whisper them. I think this is good.

thank you.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

(edited by SweetPotato.7456)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you want this change because you are unable to return the insult, it’s probably not a great reason.

If someone is harassing/sending inappropriate messages, merely report them using the in-game report feature. The CS Team will handle it. Do not engage them, as that would negate any actions the CS Team might decide to administer.

Good luck.

Posted by: Mackowidz.4629

Mackowidz.4629

If you want to talk back to someone who is set to “invisible”, you can always send them a mail.

I don’t think we need what you are suggesting. Instead, it would be nice to have some reminder that you are marked as “offline” when you whisper people. I sometimes set myself to “invisible”, then later forget about it, try to whisper my friends and wonder why noone answers.

Or maybe make it like it works with LFG – when you list your party/squad on LFG, you are automatically set as " online". So whispering people could also automatically" set us as “online”.

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

Interesting replies, however I agree with Sweet, I don’t think you should be able to whisper someone when you’re pretending to be offline. It doesn’t make sense although I’m sure someone could post a time when it was advantageous to them for it to be this way.

To me, wanting it to stay the same just so you can throw insults or snarky one-liners without retort isn’t any better a reason.

I recall way back in GW beta making all kinds of suggestions for better chat functions and more control over your chat, including more windows. Things never changed back then so I am pretty skeptical of getting anything to change now. Even should the whole community rise up and say “Yes, we want this.” I don’t see Anet ever making it happen.

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

I agree with OP. You shouldn’t be able to whisper people if they can’t whisper back. If you try you get a “You can’t do that…” type of message. If it was an accident they it helps you. I expect most people who do it are doing it intentionally so that the player they are insulting can’t reply.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

[Suggestion] cannot put in topic as it is too long

Please addess this invisible/offline whispering.

If a players choose to go offline or invisible, they shouldn’t be able to whisper another person with insult.

Please fix thank you.

I agree, and not because I want to “get back” at someone. It is very confusing to have someone whisper you, you reply and the game says they’re “offline” (which to me means they are not playing), then they whisper you again. And I’ve been playing since Beta. Yes, after that happens I think “oh, they’re anonymous” but players unfamiliar with this might wonder what’s wrong with their computer or something.

I also don’t understand why someone should have the ability to block others from whispering them but should be able to whisper people. This is a perfect recipe for abuse. It doesn’t make any sense and should be removed.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Interesting replies, however I agree with Sweet, I don’t think you should be able to whisper someone when you’re pretending to be offline. It doesn’t make sense although I’m sure someone could post a time when it was advantageous to them for it to be this way.

To me, wanting it to stay the same just so you can throw insults or snarky one-liners without retort isn’t any better a reason.

I recall way back in GW beta making all kinds of suggestions for better chat functions and more control over your chat, including more windows. Things never changed back then so I am pretty skeptical of getting anything to change now. Even should the whole community rise up and say “Yes, we want this.” I don’t see Anet ever making it happen.

Block the one slinging one liners and insults report and move on.

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Change your settings to only accept messages from those on your friends list.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Change your settings to only accept messages from those on your friends list.

If only there were such a thing….

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Its a cowards move anyway.Hehehe im gonna set myself to invisible and now rage pm this guy so he cant talk back…hehehehehehe.Just ignore these kiddos and move on really.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

agreed.
/15agrees

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

People will mark themselves online, send the message, and then go back invisible.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why not just block the person (and report them, if relevant)? I don’t feel the need to reply to someone insulting me. Why does the OP?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Djinn.9245

Why not just block the person (and report them, if relevant)? I don’t feel the need to reply to someone insulting me. Why does the OP?

He doesn’t:

[Suggestion]

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, they can only do that once (block to prevent it happening again), and how would anyone know they were offline/invisible unless one tried to contact them?

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

If you want this change because you are unable to return the insult, it’s probably not a great reason.

If someone is harassing/sending inappropriate messages, merely report them using the in-game report feature. The CS Team will handle it. Do not engage them, as that would negate any actions the CS Team might decide to administer.

Good luck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA you actually believe they do anything about this? You clearly didn’t pvp at higher rating where you see same people playing every day and harassing other players in every way possible.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Evon Skyfyre.9673

If this has happened and been reported,file a ticket and escalate it to legal and advise that you feel you are being cyber stalked.

“Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, group, or organization. It may include false accusations, defamation, slander and libel. … Cyberstalking is a criminal offense under various state anti-stalking, slander and harassment laws.”

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

You should be able to whisper friends imo, but not anybody else. It should also be possible to respond to any whisper sent to you, since your offline buddy might want to chat with you without appearing online.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I’ve never had this happen so I guess I never gave the thought that it could be done.
That said, it makes no sense for a player to be “offline (invisible)” and still be able to send whispers to other players.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

Agreed, this needs to change.
They shouldn’t be supporting weak personalities who use this to insult people without having to take responsibility (backfire) for it.

(edited by Takashiro.8701)

Seera.5916

I’ll say it again: all this setting would do is cause those people who do this to pop online just long enough to whisper you before going back to the safety of being invisible.

It will not stop those who wish to insult others.

Just block, report, and move on. Anything else is letting the person win and a waste of your time and/or energy.

Djinn.9245

I’ll say it again: all this setting would do is cause those people who do this to pop online just long enough to whisper you before going back to the safety of being invisible.

Just block, report, and move on. Anything else is letting the person win and a waste of your time and/or energy.

So, make it harder for them to do it and many will not bother.

Seera.5916

It’s not that hard to have the menu to toggle online/offline up while you have the chat/mail window open. Type your message, toggle online, post/send message, toggle offline.

It also punishes players who don’t abuse the ability to send whispers and messages while invisible.

To me, that con outweighs the benefits.

Djinn.9245

It’s not that hard to have the menu to toggle online/offline up while you have the chat/mail window open. Type your message, toggle online, post/send message, toggle offline.

It also punishes players who don’t abuse the ability to send whispers and messages while invisible.

Why would anyone want to avoid whispers and yet feels they should legitimately be able to whisper other people? It doesn’t make any sense.

Seera.5916

Why would anyone want to avoid whispers and yet feels they should legitimately be able to whisper other people? It doesn’t make any sense.

There are more reasons than wanting to avoid being whispered/messaged back to go invisible.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

That said, it makes no sense for a player to be “offline (invisible)” and still be able to send whispers to other players.

I agree with this. I’m having a hard time thinking of any legitimate reason to whisper someone while remaining anonymous that could not be accomplished by changing one’s status.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh .. for stuff like harassment/insults I would just block.

There has been a handful of times when someone decided to whisper me with a question but the offline made it not possible to reply. One of the times I did remember about the mail thing.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I agree with the op, but for a different reason. I’ve had it happen to me multiple times, that a player whispered me for getting help / asking a question, but that player (apparently) forgot that he was invisible. Or he just didn’t know that he can’t receive whispers while set to invisible, who knows?

A short message like “You can’t receive whispers while invisible. Change your online-status (z) to change this.” would’ve helped them.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Faceless trolls inflict insults, hate speech, racist remarks, sexist and misogynistic remarks on others, all under the cloak of anonymity. It’s a form of bullying, and modern society is cracking down on it. I wonder if players know that a log of all conversations public and private is kept. This came to light in GW1, and I have no doubt it does in GW2. So troll away you never know someday, you will try to login only to find your account has been banned and your characters have been deleted. But hey, it’s just a game, doesn’t matter right?