Disappointed with Town Clothes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

The Guild Wars 1 costume system was handled so much better than it is in this game. You can’t even wear your festival hat with your armor now. What happened?

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

Yeah I would like festive hats too with my armor

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

bump 15 character limit

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’m pretty dumbfounded by this decision as well. Not only is it extremely taxing on the player to feel so controlled by such a silly system (’Here’s a costume! Can’t wear it when you want though, give us money!’), but it’s also a terrible way to collect profit from the equipment being sold in the cash shop!

I would’ve bought so many costumes already if I could have worn them outside of ‘town clothes.’

They really should adjust this, but we’ll see what Arena Net chooses to do with their game.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I have to agree, I’m working on leveling up an alt and would LOVE to wear that Wintersday/Santa hat while bombing around.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

I would like to have the option of wearing town clothes during normal combat as well. Anet could expand their collection of clothing and make a buttload.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

The idea behind town clothes is good, but the execution is off. Besides the issue of not wearing the cash shop skins with armor, you can’t change your town clothes. Everyone looks the same except for dye and basic character aesthetics.

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

One could argue that by naming them “town clothes” alone specifies the limitation of their usage … but I do have to agree. The warrior I played in GW1 wandered around almost exclusively in the tux I picked up from Gwen’s wedding. I had a necro in the Lich outfit. My ranger was decked out in the Shining Blade ensemble. It just allowed for a greater degree of possibilities.
I like what they’ve done in GW2 with the arguably limited number of town clothes available, but by the same token, it would certainly be a plus for my warrior to be able to wander around in the pirate captain’s outfit … if he were an adventurer-class, I could just get pirate armor, but since he’s heavy armor, well, c’est la vie, non?
So my vote’s in on this — let’s have the town clothes be transposable over your armor … and for kitten’s sake, not revert your back to your armor every time you stumble down a hill and take 5 damage.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

It really is a terrible system. Even those of us that roleplay have almost no use for the current implementation of ‘town clothes’. They are annoying and a complete waste of possibilities. Instead, we should have real outfit/costume slots like LotRO or EQ2. Give us tons of cosmetic options to buy from the cash shop as well as letting us choose whatever armor we want to place in there as well. As it stands, I see no reason to ever use town clothes and just carry some extra clothing in my bank for RP purposes. During any sort of PVE content, I just try to ignore how ridiculous I look most of the time.

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

The idea behind town clothes is good, but the execution is off. Besides the issue of not wearing the cash shop skins with armor, you can’t change your town clothes. Everyone looks the same except for dye and basic character aesthetics.

I agree. They have completely failed to follow through with the idea properly. Now we have more “fun” clothes/items for non town clothes; such as the holiday weapon skins. The lack of being able to dye items such as the wizard hat makes town clothes a big mix-match problem.

At this point I wish they could just get rid of the entire town clothes system. It’s so annoying being automatically switched back to combat gear every time I touch water or interact with a holiday item in town.

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I never know what to make of town clothing, tbh. I realize Anet wants players to be social or whatever and hang out in their cities, but if I’m going to do that,why wouldn’t I do it in my normal combat armor— which I’ve likely taken the time to recolor and is likely going to be different than other peoples?

It’d be different if town clothing was interesting looking or whatever, but it’s all the same basic red-and-black thing for all races, despite the existence of npcs of all races in civilian clothing.