Disappointed with ingame attitudes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BorrelmirScarhand.6527

BorrelmirScarhand.6527

Hey guys,

I was just having a little play when I noticed somebody link to a waypoint and say something in the vein of ‘Hey guys, x is under attack, need defenders’

There was then a sizeable outpour of people in /y saying things in the vein of ‘Leave it, let it get captured, you don’t get a chest if you defend it’

This kind of took me aback a little. I thought the community in GW2 was above this. I mean, to draw the classic parallel, this isn’t WoW. Surely we’re a little bit more grown up and less materialistic than only caring about how much loot we’re going to get out of a situation?

Anybody else have an opinion on this kind of thing? I raised my point of view in /y chat and was told to various degrees of severity to ‘take a chill pill’ as ’it’s only a game’

Of course, I realise this. I was just kind of disappointed. Does there always have to be a material gain for people to pull their collective fingers out to help? Is the dynamic events system really fulfilling it’s brief if this is the kind of attitude that it’s met with?

This is a bit of a rant but if anyone has any opinions on this please throw them in here to be digested.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

That’s the sign of a poorly designed event.

A well-designed event should cater to the people who play for fun, the people who play for a challenge, and the people who play for loot. It sounds like this one isn’t properly designed for distributing loot, so it’s running into problems.

The solution is to adjust the event so that it provides adequate rewards in all stages, so that people don’t want to lose that territory to the centaurs or what-have-you.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Some people are just so addicted to rare Internet pixels, that they’ll spend all their time, in a game they payed for, avoiding having fun to get them.

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Some people are just so addicted to rare Internet pixels, that they’ll spend all their time, in a game they payed for, avoiding having fun to get them.

Annnnnddd that’s where your wrong.

To those people, chasing those pixels is fun. Who are you to judge?

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Do you see a problem with it?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The Adventure is fun the first time, 50-100 times later rewards are called for or players get bored, wont do it and leave.. its not rocket science..

Many of the events are left unchecked, maps empty, champions untouched etc, world boss revamped loot helped a little but we needed a revamp on loot across the whole world not strategic spots..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Do I see a problem with people playing the game how they want to play?

Not at all. The way they play the game has no bearing on how I play, so why would I?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I’m more dissapointed with forum attitudes, you can’t even make a post without someone derailing it so far off topic that it gets locked..

Some people in game are no better, luckily with a good guild you can ignore them all. Too bad the forums don’t have a guild..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think, OP, the problem is that there are different types of players. I’m more like you. I’d have done the event, because I could care less about rewards. But there are also people who DO play for rewards.

One side is not better than the other side. We just see the game differently.

I’m an immersion player. I’m immersed in the world. I feel like I’m there. If an outpost is under attack, I’ll defend it, because it’s what my character would do. But a lot of people don’t play this way…and that’s okay.

No one’s play style is worse than anyone else’s. It’s all just a matter of a different point of view.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It very from person to person its like saying “i hate every one” when you realty means just a few ppl.
I am not sure what event that is your talking about i know there a few “fixes” that you can do by letting events fail if its like that you should try to listen to others.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

The event the op is talking about is prob mel in orr.
defending it does not give you a chest.

Tbh i never defend it but always attack.
i’m not sure if defending counts as a chest loot,so if you use the same char within 24 hours attacking it after you defend it do you still get the chest?
if we spent our time and skills doing the event at least reward us for it.

Fixing our armour,using way points don’t come cheap over time.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

Posted by: Anchorwind.9016

Anchorwind.9016

…This kind of took me aback a little. I thought the community in GW2 was above this…

In a strictly anecdotal manner, I too have noticed the attitudes that have been inherited in 250 years have been a turn for the worse. I compare the calmer, friendlier, European Districts of ages past with the oft vitriolic and/or juvenile map channel [particularly in Queensdale and Lion’s Arch, as of late] of the current Tyria and sigh with both sadness and confusion.

A simple answer may be to disable the communication platforms as a whole, but it is a shame that what might otherwise be an effective tool is instead something preferred to be discarded.

“Surely we’re a little bit more grown up” An honorable wish, despite the evidence to suggest a percentage of the population is contrary to that statement.

Perhaps, in time, the ‘time vs. reward’ scales will balance out across wider swaths of the world and some of these issues will resolve themselves. We should not be holding our breath, however.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

A well-designed event should cater to the people who play for fun, the people who play for a challenge, and the people who play for loot. It sounds like this one isn’t properly designed for distributing loot, so it’s running into problems.

The solution is to adjust the event so that it provides adequate rewards in all stages, so that people don’t want to lose that territory to the centaurs or what-have-you.

This is exactly right.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t know why people want to customize the way they look…

or want to transfer server so they can play with friends…

or want to wear exotic instead of masterwork so they don’t get kick out of party…

or spend 100+ gold to buy ascneded backpiece for agony resistance so they can do high level fotm…

I mean that is so shallow….

Is that shallow?

Let me put it this way, my last guild want to trasnfer to another server and they want every guild member to spend 40 gold or 25$ to trasnfer with them. Not everyone have the luxury to spend 25$ just for a server trasnfer and gold surely don’t grow on tree.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Defending the Temple events (and the Arah Gates one to a lesser degree) is kinda counter-intuitive for one reason.

Defending the Temple BLOCKS access to the Treasure Chest spawning events that comes after. For treasure hunters, this is a horrible decision until they looted said chest for the day. Especially when you consider how long it can take for the event to roll around again.

If they put the same chest for defending the Temple (And Linked so that the chests for Claiming and Defending a Temple was the same, and could only be looted once for either), then that would change the reward outlook to be extremely willing to defend or claim the temples. And of course, up the difficulty of defending to roughly match (or be slightly easier) claiming the temple would be needed as well.

That said, most any other event I’ll simply do no matter the challenge. Or at least attempt, when its a Group Event instead. Some group events I can solo, others I’ll start fighting and watch as a couple others trickle in over time to actually mean completion is possible (despite saying nothing in map chat about it). Further others I’ll see if map chat is willing to join in on before trying to engage, though those are the extremely HARD/LONG ones like Grenth.

Other events though? I’ll often hit and complete just because I’m passing by and see it. ESPECIALLY so if I spot someone already trying to complete the DE in question, just to give a helping hand.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I used to think like the OP but once i hit lvl 80 some time ago and started doing orr events. Well it just got boring to do any events to me. You get nothing for doing them. By 80 your gear should be exotic. So anything that drops is going to suck. Drops and chest in this game are just full of cheap stuff. I’VE never played a game with such crappy loot rewards as this one. Probably why i haven’t logged in for over a month. Just come here to see if anything has changed and i see it hasn’t.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

just give all events a loot bag or loot chest then everyone will be happy.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

You see this really is going to depend on how the devs adjust the world events. If they fix them to make them worthwhile to a max level character then more people will be willing to do them, if they dont then you are going to see reactions like whats described in the OP.

Really though think about this, as it stands right now if you are logged in as a level 80 character there is literally ZERO point in doing a world event that doesnt drop a chest. This is for a number of reasons such as:

1. EXP is useless to a level 80, karma too(karma mostly useless for anyone)
2. Rewards in silver dont even cover armor repair/waypoint costs(going to need to raise rewards in silver to at least 15 per event, to cover WP cost and armor repairs of exotic armor)
3. No chest means no loot worth getting 99% of the time, as loot drop off mobs is still ridiculasly low

So as a level 80 you are much better off timewise just farming the chest events.

Now if im logged in as a lower level character then i try and do any world event in the map zone im in because they are a great way to earn EXP, i help people all the time and try and organize people together for the larger group events, and will go out of my way to res dead players and help them with the event/mob that killed them.

Fact of the matter is though for max level guys any non-chest dropping world event that isnt in a level 80 zone is a total waste of time, and that needs to be adressed if Anet wants people back in the lower level zones for anything other than shadow behemoth or the frozen maw.

Posted by: Arioch.7432

Arioch.7432

I thought that skillpoints (which are usually gained by levelling) could be used to get other things, for example legendary weapons)? I do agree with gold rewards though, I would really like those to go up. I find myself wondering whether it’s even worthwhile travelling to low level events because of wp costs.

I do enjoy doing them regardless of what loot I get though. I play this game so I can do things, and kill things. Not for loot.

Really though think about this, as it stands right now if you are logged in as a level 80 character there is literally ZERO point in doing a world event that doesnt drop a chest. This is for a number of reasons such as:

1. EXP is useless to a level 80, karma too(karma mostly useless for anyone)
2. Rewards in silver dont even cover armor repair/waypoint costs(going to need to raise rewards in silver to at least 15 per event, to cover WP cost and armor repairs of exotic armor)
3. No chest means no loot worth getting 99% of the time, as loot drop off mobs is still ridiculasly low

As to the original post, you could see it as people acting according to character. Some people, are heroes, they save people because they are heroes. Other people are.. otherwise motivated. They would increase the risk in order to squeeze extra incentive from those they would save.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I doubt your definition of “grown up”, it certainly does not mean having to spend time on an endeavour in an artificial environment that will reset itself soon enough for no personal gain. Seems you like to enforce your roleplay outlook on everyone else in the game. So, no, there is no problem with this behaviour.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

To be fair, watching the same events spawn over and over sort of loses the non-loot based reasons to play them. It can’t feel like you’re achieving anything in a roleplaying sense.

One thought, what if they introduced a reward system similar to the WvW reward for PvE? Like the more of the PvE world we control at any time, the more magic find/gatherer/ exp/ karma bonus everyone on the server has.

I agree that there should be equal reward for defend as capture though, as it being advantageous to lose a temple is a really unhelpful mechanic.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I don’t understand why this is a surprise. The game grooms players to be more mercenary than adventurer. Quests and their givers reward player with substance . . . not a pat on the back.

I’m not saying an altruistic viewpoint isn’t valid, but let’s not kid ourselves as far as motivation.

The motivation is loot.

Gone to Reddit.

Algreg.3629

I cannot understand how people can seriously discuss that along the lines of moral philosophy, these are an assortment of PIXELS, nothing else. If you want to immerse yourself in the world rp wise, all great if that is your thing, but there is absolutely no foundation to doubt the ethos of players not doing it. The people you save, centaurs you fight of, damsels you rescue… they do not exist.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

So true.

I’m not saying that all events should be like that, but if there is an event defending a outpost, it shouldn’t be the case that letting it drop gives more reward indirectly.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Presumptions and expectations don’t make an argument.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Have never seen this type of attitude frankly. I have seen from day one people being rude and nasty but not in any organized way. When people are directly rude in chat often they will be called out for it and are not heard from again (for a while). I do have a long block list but that is mainly from people talking trash and not really directing it at anyone, have no real reason to want to listen to that.

Algreg.3629

I understand the difference very well, but here people advised against doing this event because there was nothing to gain even for him apparently. He did not state he asked for help because he needed the event done for some reason or another. And OP also did not include any story of being insulted. Instead, he himself made benelovent actions towards artificial inhabitants of a gaming universe the focus of his argument. I have argued often enough against the “it is only game” card in my mmorpg career, because no, it is people´s time and emotions, but you really jump to conclusions here not backed the least by OP.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

I cannot understand how people can seriously discuss that along the lines of moral philosophy, these are an assortment of PIXELS, nothing else. If you want to immerse yourself in the world rp wise, all great if that is your thing, but there is absolutely no foundation to doubt the ethos of players not doing it. The people you save, centaurs you fight of, damsels you rescue… they do not exist.

True and I guess this is what RP servers or unoffical RP servers as is the case in this game are for. But then much the same goes for being concerned about new shiny pixels as “rewards” for your non-existent character…

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: Cheggers.3061

Cheggers.3061

Ok people will only run for the big box’s and not the little events as they are just not worth it in game. Now this is a major problem with the events and not a player issue Borrelmir.
A simple change would be to up the reward in the big chest in some way, now not sure how in my eyes this could be done.
But the thing they can change is how the big boss’s spawn.

Ok for most maps the big boss will spawn in the last zone with only a small event chain needed to happen for them to spawn. Make it so every event is under player control for x amount of time in every area of that section of map i.e. every zone of the great scar for the crystal dragon to spawn. You would then have large guilds and groups of players working together to hold giant sections of maps to get the boss’s to spawn.
Now for this to work rather than having the boss on a timer like they are change it so they have a cooldown instead. would only need to be 1 hour cooldown tbh as getting groups to take every and defend every outpost in say 3 or so maps would take some time anyway. And put a system in place that to get a big box on the last boss you must have completed 2 smaller event’s plus the boss event to get the said big box.

If you then added some cool looking armour and weapons (like a crystal themed one for crystal scar area) to these box’s people will farm them in groups/guilds. Now these weapons don’t need good stats hell bad stats would be fine as they would be some cool looking armour.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Maybe if they had similar rewards for defending, that might be better. Another reason people let defense events fail is because if they restart, its more exp, karma, silver since a defense event is generally one event and a offensive event is usually a larger chain. Take the gates of Arah for example..defending is 1 event, you get standard karma, exp and silver. If you let it fail and it restarts from Shank Anchorage, you get the defense of Anchorage event, collect scrap metal for Dexa event, defend Scholar Didi event where she summons a golem, help Angaria signal reinforcements (usually fails), seize the steps of the promenade, capture the hall of of the promenade, and defeat the high risen wizard.

Defense – 1 event, no chest
Offense – 7 events, large chest (that didn’t drop a rare for me last night and several others strangely)

If they made defending on par with the rewards of those 8 events, then it might be worthwhile to actually do it. I don’t think the loot drops are even on par, since you kill less foes. I personally enjoy doing that chain over and over again, as opposed to defending, since there’s more things to do in the chain than the one defensive event.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Not at all. The way they play the game has no bearing on how I play, so why would I?

So would you say you don’t care about them?

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

Well then you could feel all superior and put people down on game forum. That is all it is about for the person you quoted, a means to boost his/her self esteem via insulting others.

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

Maybe if they had similar rewards for defending, that might be better. Another reason people let defense events fail is because if they restart, its more exp, karma, silver since a defense event is generally one event and a offensive event is usually a larger chain. Take the gates of Arah for example..defending is 1 event, you get standard karma, exp and silver. If you let it fail and it restarts from Shank Anchorage, you get the defense of Anchorage event, collect scrap metal for Dexa event, defend Scholar Didi event where she summons a golem, help Angaria signal reinforcements (usually fails), seize the steps of the promenade, capture the hall of of the promenade, and defeat the high risen wizard.

Offense – 7 events, large chest (that didn’t drop a rare for me last night and several others strangely)

If they made defending on par with the rewards of those 8 events, then it might be worthwhile to actually do it. I don’t think the loot drops are even on par, since you kill less foes. I personally enjoy doing that chain over and over again, as opposed to defending, since there’s more things to do in the chain than the one defensive event.

when you show it side by side it really nails home why you never defend sad since to x extent it carries over to WvW mentality.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

After hundreds of events, you gotta have a reason to repeat events and currently there just is none, sure there’s ‘fun’. But after doing everything in the game I personally am tired of getting nothing but crap blues and greens and I’ve never been one to be greedy about loot, it’s simply ridiculous how bad it is in this game.. never seen such abysmal drops. I feel like a legendary garbage man… you can’t blame the player for that.

IMO, you should get a reward at the end of every event that allows you to choose what you want just like the personal story. And events are hardly balanced reward-wise. Some events take a pretty long time, yet abruptly stop after a chain of 2-3 of them and they each give you the same crappy not even 2 silver.

Yeah, I enjoy myself to some extent but it would be cool to actually get loot a different color once in a while. ANet are the ones that made this a gear based game.. not me. I’d much prefer GW1 esque loot, but thanks to ecto only being salvagable for god knows why how the hell else am I supposed to gear up multiple sets or was it their plan from the beginning for all of us to simply run one straight build forever into oblivion.

The stat system in this game is just atrocious… blame it on THAT.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Im disappointed with in game attitudes from other players that their sole purpose is to harm other players…

3 simple example :

1 – Dropping a mesmer portal under a Boss/Dragon chest , so if your not careful you activate the portal instead of getting your loot so you get port to another place with the stupid mesmer laughing at you…. ok this is getting annoying and it is now a old Joke. please drop this.

2 – Eternal battleground JP puzzle , you can battle foes there yes. It is a players vs players map. But sometimes everyone is peaceful and you can reach the chest .. but sometime there is ONE player in stealth mode that knock you off to prevent you from getting the chest ON PURPOSE. Even some opposite players help you out getting to the top and show you the way … but knock you / kill you when you are about to get the chest ON PURPOSE.

3 – You fighting for your life getting a skill point challenge … then another player aggro some other monsters in range and drop them on you and leave making thing worst for you … sometime if you die and they are jumping on your dead body .. of course they dont rez you and leave…

this is only 3 example but we can continue all day ……

I tend to reduce my play time on week-end because there is more of this childish behavior.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

when you show it side by side it really nails home why you never defend sad since to x extent it carries over to WvW mentality.

I dunno about that. If you’re referring to the # of events, its a much smaller difference in WvW. You either defend an objective or capture an objective. There isn’t a huge chain to capture a keep or tower in WvW. You don’t get an event for each wall/gate you knockdown. You only get an event for capturing the keep/tower/camp. The sentries, dolyaks and quaggan/ogre/hylek camps are separate from that.

That being said, defending in WvW is much more fun, since you’re not fighting the same stale AI every time you defend, like you do in PvE events. You’re fighting other players, and well, they don’t do the same scripted crap that AI does, so it makes it far more interesting.

Not sure if the “you” in your sentence was the general “you” or me, but I’d much rather defend a WvW objective over a stale PvE event any day, so no, it does not leak over into WvW (at least in my case).

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

(edited by Magiofdeath.2745)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Im disappointed with in game attitudes from other players that their sole purpose is to harm other players…

3 simple example :

1 – Dropping a mesmer portal under a Boss/Dragon chest , so if your not careful you activate the portal instead of getting your loot so you get port to another place with the stupid mesmer laughing at you…. ok this is getting annoying and it is now a old Joke. please drop this.

2 – Eternal battleground JP puzzle , you can battle foes there yes. It is a players vs players map. But sometimes everyone is peaceful and you can reach the chest .. but sometime there is ONE player in stealth mode that knock you off to prevent you from getting the chest ON PURPOSE. Even some opposite players help you out getting to the top and show you the way … but knock you / kill you when you are about to get the chest ON PURPOSE.

3 – You fighting for your life getting a skill point challenge … then another player aggro some other monsters in range and drop them on you and leave making thing worst for you … sometime if you die and they are jumping on your dead body .. of course they dont rez you and leave…

this is only 3 example but we can continue all day ……

I tend to reduce my play time on week-end because there is more of this childish behavior.

1. Mesmer portal isn’t that long range, it’s not like the chest will despawn by the time you get back.

2. It’s what happens in a pvp zone, learn to deal with it and work around.

3. Rarely happens, but you can always reset the fight and come back to deal with the skillpoint when there are less adds. If the same guy is doing that on purpose specifically against you then you’ll need to report.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’ve always seen players who are secretly or unconsciously a cost accountant, constantly weighing the return on investment (ROI) of every activity in an MMO.

Crafting is broken because ROI is poor (due to cost to learn, cost of raw materials).

Player Trading is broken because ROI is poor (market fees, irrational players).

Major quests are broken because ROI is poor (time/difficulty Vs loot).

So they gravitate to the few activities that meet their internal sense of a good ROI and then fret about how the game is to grindy and how other aspects are poorly designed in their opinion.

Lets not talk about what happens if devs adjust activities with significantly higher ROI downwards (or low upwards) and how that’s an example of the devs imposing their (the devs) playstyle on them (the cost accountants).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Blame the game for punishing players for doing the right thing.

And rewards have been always a long part of video gaming. This is why invisible 1 up blocks and coins existed in Super Mario Brothers. That is why later games had bonus zones that just gave you extra lives that you didn’t need. Because you could, and you deserve something other than having your face bashed in for playing this game.

Well regardless, I see tons of excited and happy people running to a chest and sharing their loot regardless of quality. I really don’t care for that changing if I can share that sort of moment with tons of people over some pixels.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Blame the game for punishing players for doing the right thing.

And rewards have been always a long part of video gaming. This is why invisible 1 up blocks and coins existed in Super Mario Brothers. That is why later games had bonus zones that just gave you extra lives that you didn’t need. Because you could, and you deserve something other than having your face bashed in for playing this game.

Well regardless, I see tons of excited and happy people running to a chest and sharing their loot regardless of quality. I really don’t care for that changing if I can share that sort of moment with tons of people over some pixels.

I agree completely. People respond based on their incentives. In this case, the system is set up to reward players for reclaiming the camps and not for defending them.

I haven’t done that quest in a long time, but if you can wait 15 minutes and get a rare from a chest, versus doing it now and not getting anything, why wouldn’t you wait?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

watching the cutscenes in dungeons, when you visit them the first time, often results in a votekick.

the problem is, alot mmorpg player’s priority looks like this:

1.: loot/profit
2.: acknowledgement
3.: addiction (i admit it, i still could farm the same mob over and over again for days in ragnarok online…)
4.: fun

unlike other mmo’s i’ve previously played, GW2 somehow manages (in my case, at least), to be alot of fun without having a motivation or goal in particular.
almost 200 hours of gameplay and i’m still running around with lv60-80 rare gear.
but i have to admit, that i’m kinda dissapointed of the loot i’m getting when killing a world boss.
oh now i’ve mentioned it, if i’m battling a world boss on my own to test my skills, nobody comes to help me. they just walk by…until the boss is low on health…then 10+ players starting to show up instantly.

tho, games always should be balanced between both motivation and fun.
in long terms, motivation alone kills the fun and vice versa.
but don’t mention that you’re having fun at a videogame when dealing with “elitists”.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Using Hirathi Hinterlands as an example: If the Centaurs hold the lands, the objective is to take them back, with a champion or two at the final stage that potentially drop super-rare loot type x.
Once the lands have been taken back for the Seraph (by the players), some sort of other, more difficult, set of dynamic events takes place (this would have to be creative as you don’t have mobs to take out). This event potentially drops super-rare loot type y.
If the seraph hold the land 100% for more than z amount of time, the potential loot type changes. (time unlocks better loot). However, the same applies for the loot dropped by the Hirathi events.
The idea here is to make it more valuable to hold the lands for the Seraph for extended amounts of time, while still providing players something to do in that region which fills hearts and exploration quotas.

To not go completely off topic: OP, I think you’re going to find attitude issues in any MMO. Most people are happy to remain anonymous in games, but a subset of them like to be kittens because it protects them from taking responsibility for their actions.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

if it is a chained event made of several events, sometimes it’s more helpful to players if the one failed, so that the entire event chain restarts, kind of like the Temple of Balthazar chain, or maybe the Centaur camps one.

as for single events, the rewards might just not be very good, so players skip them more often. Add 2 or 3 more events to those to maybe liven them up some.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

After you do the same event a 100 times, doing it for the 101st time without any real reason to is tiresome. The gameplay isn’t exactly riveting.

Like people saying “need more for grenth” twice an hour in orr, then yelling at people for not helping .

There’s really two reason to do things in an MMO. Fun, reward, or preferably fun and a reward.

If something gives neither, people don’t want to do it.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

You can blame it on devs all you want but you perfectly know it’s standard MMO player behavior.
Regardless of how a MMO is made, most players will try to find shortcuts, exploits, faster ways, speedclears, and ignore anything that isn’t filling their virtual wallet.

I’m intellectually honest enough to admit I’m likely to skip events unless they are worth something or challenging.

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

Saw this on someone’s sig:

“GW2 is not your cookie-cutter, child-proof, spoon-feeding, EZ-mode, autopilot, UI-based,
hand-helding, back-patting, gimmicky, cheesy MMO.”

Lol it really is.

But to the OP, it’s poor event design. Suggesting anyone with different goals than yourself needs to grow up is pretty ironic too.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

…This kind of took me aback a little. I thought the community in GW2 was above this…

In a strictly anecdotal manner, I too have noticed the attitudes that have been inherited in 250 years have been a turn for the worse. I compare the calmer, friendlier, European Districts of ages past with the oft vitriolic and/or juvenile map channel [particularly in Queensdale and Lion’s Arch, as of late] of the current Tyria and sigh with both sadness and confusion.

A simple answer may be to disable the communication platforms as a whole, but it is a shame that what might otherwise be an effective tool is instead something preferred to be discarded.

“Surely we’re a little bit more grown up” An honorable wish, despite the evidence to suggest a percentage of the population is contrary to that statement.

Perhaps, in time, the ‘time vs. reward’ scales will balance out across wider swaths of the world and some of these issues will resolve themselves. We should not be holding our breath, however.

I added the bold… Queensdale has some decent chat in it but more and more has the self-involved “I love to hear myself talk and try and shock people with how nasty I can get” juvenile chat. I wish it would go away but its been present in every game I’ve played so I have little hope for it.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I was one of the first people to hit lvl80 and enter Orr (I had that weekended off early start weekend). I am one of the people who sees an event and will go over and complete it just for the sake of completing it. I do not care about the rewards or dragons or anything like them. Such as Jormag my guild tells when he appears and everything but yet I never go to him. I think the entire time I have been playing I only been to him 5 times.

Some people need an alterative motive to do something which makes me question their basic character. I worked at Wal-Mart for over four years now (due to university), and the same aspects of the game apply. A large number of people will not do something just for the sack of being nice or a good guy. A large number of people would accept a bribe or blackmail, all for the promise of money. Look at the number of lawsuits each year over some of the stupidest things that could be settled outside of court.

Another great example is how many people were complaining about loot drops or didn’t do events just cause of the amount of effort needed for the loot. I do not play a game for the loot cause I am not greedy hearted. I play the game for a challenge. So when everyone was complaining about Orr about how they couldn’t run through, I was the one clearing the path for the people and taking on the events by myself.

Now days I been getting bored just cause everything challenging is being nerfed. Such as Orr having its population and respawn timers nerfed to hell. Doing events for the sake of doing them is what should happen. I agree with the OP.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

If loot wasn’t so hard to come by in the game, players wouldn’t be so concerned with getting it. If we could actually get enough loot, crafting materials (blood, scales etc.) and things we needed through normal play, the players would care less about loot and more about playing for fun.

As it is, all in game time is spent trying to figure out ways to get our hands on loot just so we can play the game.

It should be the other way around.

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

Is it wrong to avoid certain events because they’re less efficient or profitable? Morally, yes. In reality? No.
Because if we’re going to spend time in this game doing events, we want to be rewarded. 2 silver and a third bar of experience is not a good reward. A chest plus all of that is better. Before you say getting rewarded is not necessary, think again.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry