Discrimination? (Non-English chat language)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I’m in agreement that the guy speaking in german was being rude, if you specifically set it so that you are in the english channel you should be speaking english

You haven’t set anything, anywhere, to say that you should be in a “English channel”. You have set your GAME User Interface and NPC dialogue, be that text and/or audio, to be English. What language players communicate with in chat is not a part of this, obviously. Servers are in small ways a part of this, but overall, with the Mega Server pooling players together in order to avoid empty maps, chances are you will get a few players of different languages on the same overflow. In what way is it RUDE to speak your own language? Why do you need to know what they are saying? I think it’s rude of anyone to expect people who wish to speak in their own language, to speak in a different language simply because some players have this obsessive compulsive need to know everything that’s being said. Things they 90% of the time don’t even care about and won’t engage in.

Why in the world do you need to understand it? There’s probably 40 other players on the map, that you can chat with, in English, if you want to chat with someone. Note that I am a English writing and speaking individual, I just get really annoyed at people saying nonsense such as it being rude to speak in a language other than your own. It’s the opposite, it’s rude to expect them to speak your language.

If they join your Party when you advertised it with the English language option and american flag (which doesn’t make sense, it should be the UK flag, but whatever), then proceed to speak in a different language, then sure, that is rude on their part. If they wrote something in the map chat, that’s hardly rude, that’s just them socializing and you not understanding what is being said. Boohoo, big deal. Why not just look at that as any other map chat which you don’t care to engage in.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Map chat has to be English or any other language that ANet mods can inspect.

I hope some of you know that there is a “Verbal Abuse” reason in report interface. That’s why there is an unwritten English rule (or maybe written by Anet in facebook/twitter/instagram but not in forums as always).

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I do not understand why ignore a person who speaks another language.

but role play, it’s very complicated when everyone tavern speaks my mother language: French. And an English gamer finds himself lost among us.
Generally my service team, the Maiden’s Whisper, trying to make an effort, but it frustrates us a lot.
We can not do emote along with the English player. Just by what we do not know the subtleties of his language. While we control ours. =(

In channel map, it’s pretty heavy to see people required English. In full game in action, we can not go on google trans. So, you’re cute, but you can not die for your eyes. =)

best to do, is to be patient. The world does not revolve around English.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Am I the only person who finds this topic stupid?

I mean, on both parties.

My thoughts: Who cares? If he’s not harassing people, telling them to speak English or be reported, you can easily just /ignore the guy and go about your day. That’s exactly what I would have done.

At the end of the argument, he can do whatever he likes and say whatever he likes within reason. People saying he should be reported have to then prove he did something wrong. Saying things you don’t agree with isn’t wrong.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

It’s like whispering in presence of others, it is rude.

Absconditus.6804

It’s like you walking past two foreigners, which you don’t know, discussing something between each other in their own language, and then you go up to them and ask them to speak English, because you can’t understand. It is rude.

Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Well it’s not the first discussion about this issue. I am german playing with a german client on (before megaserver) an english speaking server. The megaserver still mixes everyone with everyone, so if someone is speaking german he might have an english client but maybe he is from a german server. If I was only allowed to talk in my client language I had to talk german all the time even when I wouldn’t be understood.

The client-language has nothing to do on which language server this person was before megaserver. I am not entirely happy the megaserver mixes the langauges but that’s not the players fault.

Next Thing is: I am not asking german questions but if someone is asking in german I will answer in german and I don’t care about my language settings.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You can block someone for any reason you wish. From being an ignorant bigot to just not wanting your chat cluttered with lines of text you cannot understand. Now being rude and obnoxious about blocking someone for a language choice should not be acceptable behavior. (Unfortunately this game is filled with rude and obnoxious players that need to quit typing in chat).

Not being on EU servers I cannot speak directly, but from what I understand, the Megaserver system DOES have servers available for Alternate languages available in the game. I was under the impression Megaserver prioritizes your zone based on your language setting….is this not correct?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Pirlipat.2479

It is said to do so, or to be more clear it’s said to priorize the languge of the server you choose. But often enough it’s not the case. Sometimes I get mixed with loads of French speaking people and I understand only bits of that language. But I never turn that filter on. Why should I pretend those people aren’t there?

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

just tell them you will speak english if its important for the party-communication @ dungeons.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Is it verbal abuse for somebody to tell another that they shall block you because of what language they speak?

No.

Imagine how many people blocked them without even saying so in chat.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

It’s like you walking past two foreigners, which you don’t know, discussing something between each other in their own language, and then you go up to them and ask them to speak English, because you can’t understand. It is rude.

If those foregners were using loadspeakers and megaphones for their conversation (general chat) i would definately ask them to speak speak language which is understood by huge majority of people and it would not be rude.

Pirlipat.2479

I’ve never heard someone whisper with megaphones.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If those foregners were using loadspeakers and megaphones for their conversation (general chat) i would definately ask them to speak speak language which is understood by huge majority of people and it would not be rude.

I wish all those strangers that feel like they have to shout into there mobiles in busses and trains, as if they use a megaphone, would speak in suahli so i don’t have to understand the stupid trash they talk about.

Sadly you can’t mute people in RL without getting into real trouble.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

You can block someone for any reason you wish. From being an ignorant bigot to just not wanting your chat cluttered with lines of text you cannot understand. Now being rude and obnoxious about blocking someone for a language choice should not be acceptable behavior. (Unfortunately this game is filled with rude and obnoxious players that need to quit typing in chat).

Not being on EU servers I cannot speak directly, but from what I understand, the Megaserver system DOES have servers available for Alternate languages available in the game. I was under the impression Megaserver prioritizes your zone based on your language setting….is this not correct?

Kinda is, for example if CoE is contested in EU there’s a pretty big chance that you’ll find an open one if you guest to a german/french server, when you guest to another english server instead there’s a big chance you’ll get on the same map as you started again. So there are definitely different shards for different languages most of the time. But like everything, especially everything anet makes, it isn’t perfect…

Then there’s the language filter, which surpresses people with a client in a different language, but many german/french ppl use an english client.

And then of course there’s the many people who don’t have designated servers or a client for their language. I see italian, russian and dutch quite a lot in map chat.

IMO people should just accept that other languages will be spoken regardless of anet’s actions. It’s Europe after all…

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the player was being rude about it. If you don’t understand what someone else is saying, and you’d rather not see their language, the filter exists for that reason. (And if the filter is broken, well, take it up with ANet, not the poor player.)

I’ve occasionally encountered players in my PUG dungeons/Fractals who couldn’t speak a word of English, but we were all experienced enough to know what to do and we got through the content just fine.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’m French Canadian but I prefer playing on an English US client because it’s the original version and original versions are nearly always better than translations, and besides I’m bilingual anyway. Also, I love the French people but time zones difference between France and Eastern Canada are too big. So I play on US servers.

I try to stick to English in /say unless I RP or something, but if I play with a friend I might let some French slip in /say and I don’t care if some stupid bigot gets excited or ignores me. In fact if ALL the jerks in Guild Wars 2 would put me on their ignore list I might log in more often. :P

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

What I don’t understand is why some people need to speak with another person in their language in MAP CHAT,seriously,do you want to show off how fluently you can speak your mother language or what?
Sorry but no one cares about your little conversation with your friend in portuguese,spanish,german…

If you are in a North American server,you should speak English in Map Chat,I think even /say chat is “okay” because if someone does not want to read another language in their chat they can just move to somewhere else,but in map chat…ugh…Why you guys do it. Basically it is the same as if someone was forced to watch 2 random guys speaking their language in front of you,it is rude.

Btw,my main language is (as you can see) not english,but I refuse to say a word in portuguese in /say ,/map or even party chat,because when I have like 2 friends in a party and then another random guy joins,I tell my friends to stop speaking in portuguese in map chat because it would just scare the random guy and he would leave the party

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Babbling in map chat about sexual things, drugs or idiocy = mute
Babbling in another language = mute

I don’t want to listen to nonsense, map chat is to get help, learn what events are up and general chit chat. Babbling in another language and cluttering up the chat is about as bad as the “I’m so high kids” and there is nothing wrong with blocking someone for it. Guy didn’t have to be rude but sometimes it gets frustrating.

Also people need to stop throwing the word discrimination around, people discriminate everyday. Walk down the street and see some guy with tats or looks scary and you get nervous or avoid him? Discrimination, but I suppose to some of these pretend white knights who looove everyone they wouldn’t judge them at all. It’s human nature to discriminate at will, you just don’t do it loudly. You cannot honestly say you do not discriminate and be an honest person.

I also wouldn’t play a german game and spam english in their chat, it’s rude. Would the same people defending that anyone can speak whatever they want feel the same way with an obnoxious english speaker in german chat? Prolly not but it’s also human to be a hypocrite.

Zaxares.5419

Do people really get bothered when two people are conversing in a language they don’t understand themselves? Really?? O.o

So if you’re walking down the street and see two obviously foreign tourists talking between themselves in their mother tongue, you say to them, “Hey, speak English!” If so, why?? It’s not your conversation and they’re obviously not talking to you, so what does it matter?

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Do people really get bothered when two people are conversing in a language they don’t understand themselves? Really?? O.o

So if you’re walking down the street and see two obviously foreign tourists talking between themselves in their mother tongue, you say to them, “Hey, speak English!” If so, why?? It’s not your conversation and they’re obviously not talking to you, so what does it matter?

Except those two people aren’t using a megaphone, mapchat is mapchat, we’re not talking about local chat. Think about it.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Blocking is kind of harsh, but on the other hand it is really rude.

When I lived in South America, I never spoke English in front of anyone who didn’t also speak English without asking their permission first. Now I’m living in the states, I don’t speak Spanish in front anyone who doesn’t speak Spanish without asking their permission first. And if they ask what I or anyone else said I tell them without exception.

People knock on Americans for complaining about this the most, but it is disrespectful towards local people and culture to expect others to adapt to you when you are the visitor, and it is considered deplorable behavior pretty much anywhere you go in the world, not just the states.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Absconditus.6804

Yes, map chat is clearly purely to get help and to organize. Let us all be antisocial and afraid of chatting in a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. That’s why we play them, right? Because we hate to socialize with others. Oh wait, it’s also to chit-chat, but if it’s in language we don’t understand, then it’s babbling and nonsense, and that is rude. Wait, what? Who’s being rude here really? Us English speakers, dictating what is the allowed language, or them for just communicating with each other in language we don’t understand? I ask again, what is this obsessive compulsive need to understand everything that’s being said. 90% of a map won’t even engage themselves in map chit-chat normally, even when it is in understandable English (to us English-speakers anyways). What does it matter the relatively few times we see a different language? I just don’t get it.

As I said before, I will never understand people who lets someone else talking about something, get to them. If it’s a sensitive subject, sure, I can understand that making people get fired up, but when they’re just having fun talking to each other, then I have no understanding as to why that would be frustrating and why you would want to block someone for it. If map chat breaks your immersion, I recommend disabling it altogether.

Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

What I don’t understand is why some people need to speak with another person in their language in MAP CHAT,seriously,do you want to show off how fluently you can speak your mother language or what?
Sorry but no one cares about your little conversation with your friend in portuguese,spanish,german…

If you are in a North American server,you should speak English in Map Chat,I think even /say chat is “okay” because if someone does not want to read another language in their chat they can just move to somewhere else,but in map chat…ugh…Why you guys do it. Basically it is the same as if someone was forced to watch 2 random guys speaking their language in front of you,it is rude.

Btw,my main language is (as you can see) not english,but I refuse to say a word in portuguese in /say ,/map or even party chat,because when I have like 2 friends in a party and then another random guy joins,I tell my friends to stop speaking in portuguese in map chat because it would just scare the random guy and he would leave the party

And what stops people speaking in english trying to show off their english talking about their nonsense day that the majority do not care about in map chat? It is double standards, anyone should be able to speak their tongue if they want unless you want to enforce punishments but that would also have to apply to english speakers filling the map chat

Zaxares.5419

Except those two people aren’t using a megaphone, mapchat is mapchat, we’re not talking about local chat. Think about it.

Well, by that standard anybody speaking in Map chat is using a megaphone, and that includes English speakers as well. I know I’ve certainly dropped into LA maps where there was inane conversation going on about sports or politics or TV shows that I’d prefer not to have to listen to. (I don’t bother blocking, since it takes quite a bit to offend me and I’m usually out of LA in a few minutes once I’m done trading/crafting anyway.)

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

Since the megaserver thing I’ve ended up in a couple of zones where the map chat was predominantly French or German. If I needed information I asked in English, because my French and German are both atrocious although I can understand enough to get by of the written language. The people in the map have always been kind enough to reply in English. Should they have been rude to me because I wasn’t speaking the majority language? Or does that only apply when the majority language is English?

Nope, sorry. It’s a multilingual world, and people have to learn to cope. English is not some kind of special snowflake that must be respected at all costs, and English speakers do not have priority over the speakers of any other language.

That being said, basic good manners will get you far. Many people are willing to make allowances for people who do not speak the local language if said speaker is polite, and the same goes online.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Being German myself, I chose a German server 2 years ago and set the game client language to German, because I want the game in German. Including map chat. The game was designed and able to give me German everywhere, so I used it. It’s like being home. I just don’t like to communicate in a foreign language after work, I want to communicate in my mother language.

The mega server is an issue, since you meet players from non-[DE] servers. But since I still am on my German server and have set my game client to German, I still write in German in map chat and will continue to do so. If the language support was withdrawn by Arenanet, they would have announced that, but they didn’t. They made incredible efforts to localize the client, and now I should not be able to write German in map chat? No. I can have the game in German in every aspect, which must include map chat.

However, if someone has his game client in English, he should be aware that the filter option assigns him an implicit “English” tag to his chat messages, so he should really write in English as well. Doing otherwise is not polite. If I change my game client to English, which I do in rare cases, I also switch my chat language to English of course.

The game is lacking a feature to give the player the option to choose the languages he is able to understand and the option to explicitly tag his own chat messages with a specific language independently from the game client language. This is more important now with the mega server. A little clickable language flag next to the chat input box, where I can quickly choose a different language for my next chat messages, if I want to answer in English instead of German. And a list of languages in the game options that I want to read (German and English in my case). This is a way to introduce language chats, but merged into one channel as before, so it doesn’t clutter your chat window.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I simply don’t understand what’s so offensive about seeing another written language that a person has to publicly launch a tirade against it. If it personally bothers you, quietly block the player and move on. It’s my opinion that doing so still demonstrates some major personality flaws, but at least you’re being somewhat classy about it. There’s nothing classy about berating people for not writing in your own primary language.

Pirlipat.2479

However, if someone has his game client in English, he should be aware that the filter option assigns him an implicit “English” tag to his chat messages, so he should really write in English as well. Doing otherwise is not polite. If I change my game client to English, which I do in rare cases, I also switch my chat language to English of course.

But then -following your standards of politeness- I playing with a german client – would have to write german all the time too – even when I choose an english server at the beginning, and even when the majority of the map is talking in english. That doesn’t make sense for me.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

The game is lacking a feature to give the player the option to choose the languages he is able to understand and the option to explicitly tag his own chat messages with a specific language independently from the game client language. This is more important now with the mega server. A little clickable language flag next to the chat input box, where I can quickly choose a different language for my next chat messages, if I want to answer in English instead of German. And a list of languages in the game options that I want to read (German and English in my case). This is a way to introduce language chats, but merged into one channel as before, so it doesn’t clutter your chat window.

It’d be wonderful to have separate chat channels for each of the game languages, and perhaps even a few for other languages that aren’t covered. Maybe there should be different map chats depending on language… e.g. /em for English map, /dm or /gm for German map chat etc. It would certainly improve communications within each designated language.

From the majority response, most believe that the current chat system is pretty flawed due to the implementation of mega-servers. The problem would be creating something that was simple enough to use, that didn’t clutter the chat interface and wouldn’t confuse people who are new to the game.

Silmar Alech.4305

But then -following your standards of politeness- I playing with a german client – would have to write german all the time too – even when I choose an english server at the beginning, and even when the majority of the map is talking in english. That doesn’t make sense for me.

That’s the flaw with the current system: it isn’t possible to have the client in German but “be” English in the game including map chat. Your chat messages are always tagged as German.

Pirlipat.2479

Well ofc it’s a flaw somehow but the question is how players deal with that flaw. I mean the main flaw is that languages are not separated properly serverwise. It doesn’t help much to be ignorant and to pretend that people from other languages aren’t there. In fact doing so is pretty bad when it comes to organising events and stuff.

The only Option we have is to be tolerant. I mean if someone can’t stand seeing other languages in his/her Chat then just block the people but I can’t see how it is considered to be polite to brag about that in public Chat.

The other thing is I really do like to play MMOs because I can easily have contact to people from different countries and different cultures and that also means they have a different language.

When I see other languages in chat I don’t assume automaticly that this person doesn’t want to have contact only because he/she is talking in a language I don’t understand. It only means that person wants to use his/her language at that moment for whatever reason. So why should care?

Silmar Alech.4305

Blocking and insulting people is unacceptable for sure.

I see the language issue from a more technical point of view, because the game can only offer technical solutions. The players as a whole will not change only because a thread in this forum exists that asks for being tolerant.

There are languages I as a player understand (read), there are languages I am able to communicate (write), and there are languages I don’t have a clue about. And there is a language people prefer when they write something, and this is not English for everyone.

People are often upset if they are confronted with something they don’t understand, and this is what happens if they read a foreign language they don’t have a clue about. So, I wish the game would give these players the chance to filter out the chat messages they could never in their lives understand but at the same time retain all messages (languages) they do understand. Nobody I know only understands one language, so the game limits the players’ abilities more than it should by employing the current filter.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

The only Option we have is to be tolerant. I mean if someone can’t stand seeing other languages in his/her Chat then just block the people but I can’t see how it is considered to be polite to brag about that in public Chat.

It’s not meant to be polite, it’s more of a statement saying “speak English darn it”.
Personally I don’t care in map chat, ( I have it off 80% of the time anyways). But when it comes to being in parties, I do ask those not speaking English to please do so. Communication is bad enough already in parties with out team speak,

Beldin.5498

Technical solution for me was always what i posted x time before release of the mega-server, that we always need to have at least 4 different instances of each mag,
one for each official language .. so EN, DE, FR, ES

Reality is however many zones often have only 2 zones even at the main time ..
sometimes its maybe 3 .. and later at night / morning everything goes down to
just 1 instance.

And no matter what they do .. that system will never work.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Pirlipat.2479

But when it comes to being in parties, I do ask those not speaking English to please do so. Communication is bad enough already in parties with out team speak,

That’s a different situation imho. The main purpose of language is communication, so ofc if you are in a party of five people I expect that everyone is using a “tool” aka a language which enables everyone to take part in that communication. But a map-chat is directed to a much wider audience so someone using another language is simply not considering me as audience. I mean if someone is asking a specific question I have no clue about I am not able to join that convo either, but that does not mean people aren’t allowed to talk about that topic.

Edit: I don’t mean that everyone should insist in only talking his or her language I only mean that I don’t mind when someone uses another language for whatever reason.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I see the language issue from a more technical point of view, because the game can only offer technical solutions. The players as a whole will not change only because a thread in this forum exists that asks for being tolerant.

I never really asked for tolerance- I know people won’t change their behaviour. From the scenario I described in the original post, I know people won’t bother changing. For the 30 minutes or so that I watched the rage between the people in map chat, it was obvious that neither were going to change their views about map chat language.

I wish that getting tolerance over the matter was as easy as posting a thread about it :P I posted the topic to start a discussion about the situation and the underlying problem, to raise awareness and just to hear what people thought about it.

Technical solution for me was always what i posted x time before release of the mega-server, that we always need to have at least 4 different instances of each mag,

Although segregating servers into their own language-based maps would be a solution, it would raise more problems. It would mean that it would be difficult for people from different language servers to mingle and play the game together. It would also result in a very low map population for the Non-English servers, especially for the Spanish as it only consists of Baruch Bay [ES]. As far as the mega-server system is involved, re-segregating servers is a big step back (consider how rare it was for Teq or Tri-Wurm to be killed before megaservers).

Personally I’m starting to believe that map chat segregation is the way forward, providing it’s done in a way to still let players choose which chat they talk in and filtered.

Beldin.5498

Although segregating servers into their own language-based maps would be a solution, it would raise more problems. It would mean that it would be difficult for people from different language servers to mingle and play the game together. It would also result in a very low map population for the Non-English servers, especially for the Spanish as it only consists of Baruch Bay [ES]. As far as the mega-server system is involved, re-segregating servers is a big step back (consider how rare it was for Teq or Tri-Wurm to be killed before megaservers).

We still have guesting .. i use it all time because for harvesting runs, and thats also
why i see how many zones often only exist for specific zones.

Heck Frostgorge meanwhile has mostly only 1 zone at main time beside the time
around the Claw of Jormag spawn window.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

and last, complaining in map chat about people using any other language will get you blocked and reported.

I call BS on this statement.

Being rude, or insulting to these players? Sure. Complaining when someone is talking a lot in Chinese or German and it fills your map chat with something you can’t even read? Perfectly fine.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I think when you are playing an MMO, and want to interact with everyone in the map, you should at least try to speak English. Imagine every player in megaservers to speak their own language.

I’m Dutch myself, and I get spinal shivers when I see my mother language in the map chat. Because 99% of the map players will not understand it. Starting a Dutch guild would fix the issue of speaking bad English.

Lol yea, funny side note to this, most people think its german when you type in dutch. Anyway on topic, leave those kids alone or ask them to learn any other language then english. Arrogant narrowsighted bastid kids.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Anyohaseyo! Konichiwa! Ni hao! Ola! Cao! Mazel Tov! Bonne Temps! Wie geht es dir?

We have many Heroes in Tyria and should take pride in our large community. I’ve always thought that the NA servers have many players is one of the coolest aspects of the game. I’m sure this will translate over to a more Real World view over time.

Consider this: Woodstock was a half a million people at a concert for three days and nights. It changed the world. Guild Wars is over a half million players from all over the world 24-7. Might have the same potential…

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t really get the excuses for being bothered by a German guy speaking German in English chat (or whatever other language). Chat that is frequent and therefore hard to follow is already something that can happen in English-speaking chat by English-speaking people.

I would think it’d actually be easier to pick out your own conversation amidst a bunch of foreign letters, than it is trying to follow a quickly moving conversation with input from numerous people in your own language.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Anyone getting upset about languages needs to understand that…

the guy speaking that other language isn’t speaking to you.
the client filter and block function are there for you to use.
many people cannot speak any other language than their own.
and last, complaining in map chat about people using any other language will get you blocked and reported.

Anet have said repeatedly that no language is mandatory on any server.

This is accurate. I don’t know that someone would actively report another player for saying “Use [language] in chat!” but they might. And depending on the aggression of the statement, that rude player might be given an infraction, it’s true. I suggest that if you feel strongly about not seeing another language, simply make your personal choice (as above) and move on, without making anyone else feel bad and without stirring the pot.

On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d call this linguistic or cultural discrimination so much as I’d call it the behavior of someone who is not being very pleasant or reasonable.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Anubis.7058

Anubis.7058

Anyone getting upset about languages needs to understand that…

the guy speaking that other language isn’t speaking to you.
the client filter and block function are there for you to use.
many people cannot speak any other language than their own.

Anet have said repeatedly that no language is mandatory on any server.

This is accurate. I don’t know that someone would actively report another player for saying “Use [language] in chat!” but they might. And depending on the aggression of the statement, that rude player might be given an infraction, it’s true. I suggest that if you feel strongly about not seeing another language, simply make your personal choice (as above) and move on, without making anyone else feel bad and without stirring the pot.

On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d call this linguistic or cultural discrimination so much as I’d call it the behavior of someone who is not being very pleasant or reasonable.

Actually, with the option to pick a language option in chat, you gave everyone all the rights to filter other people, which is good (very good in fact if you ever played any MOBA)… its kinda a thing which goes with giving people options and freedom of (thus also from, aka /ignore) speech.

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

It depends. Playing on EU servers I come across this issue sometimes, the funny thing is its most likely not insulting or bashing the direct way. People asking normal questions in spanish or french or whatever just because its easier for them usually isnt a problem, however if it gets “too much” the other languages start talking as well, not because they generally have to communicate or because they have a question, just for the sake of speaking in their language to show kinda “we are here”. Feels like a “cold war” situation to me.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It depends. Playing on EU servers I come across this issue sometimes, the funny thing is its most likely not insulting or bashing the direct way. People asking normal questions in spanish or french or whatever just because its easier for them usually isnt a problem, however if it gets “too much” the other languages start talking as well, not because they generally have to communicate or because they have a question, just for the sake of speaking in their language to show kinda “we are here”. Feels like a “cold war” situation to me.

For what it’s worth, maybe those people are just proud of their language/culture. I probably would be if I was playing a mostly [other language] speaking game.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t think that there is anything inherently wrong with someone on an English language server stating so if another player is conversing or posting in another language.

In EU they are not called English, but International Servers. I assume this is deliberate.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Once again: Speaking in a language other than the preponderant language on a server is not a breach of the User Agreement, the Rules of Conduct, or the rules of common sense. We don’t take action on it, and ask that you please not report players using alternative languages. You may, however, report players who are harassing other players through insistence that they conform to the use of a certain language.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet