Discrimination because of dyes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kathor.5041

Kathor.5041

Hi everyone,

I simply cannot understand the situation I experienced today in the Ascalonian Catacombs (exploration).

I was playing with a friend and I was dressing as a full pink norn warrior because it looked funny for us. We used LFG to get into one group and suddenly everybody left as we entered the dungeon, so we decided to start our own LFG, but people left as soon as they joined us, and even one of them said “muschis”, what my german friend translated as ’’pu**ies’’, just because I was using pink dyes.

I don’t know if they left because they thought we were trolls or because of having a male norn wearing pink, but if it’s the second option… … imho if you really need to express your manhood through a game, you have a problem; and if you think someone will play worse because of his dyes, you have another one.

Any comment on this? Do you think this is normal? Did we find the 8 yes, eight most immature members of the community?

Attachments:

(edited by Kathor.5041)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Well, we only have your side of the story here. We weren’t there, and we’re not them, so we can’t say why they did what they did. Regardless, don’t waste your time worrying about the stupid reactions of a group of jerks. Block them, and then go back to playing. I can assure you that there are way more nice, friendly, and accepting people in-game than there are petty jerks.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

What were your character levels and AP? More likely they quit because of that and decided to toss insults on the way out. In poor taste either way but, what can you do. Kids will be kids.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

People playing and joking around with absurd dyes are trolls about 80% of the time, wasting a ton of time in dungeons. It is easier/faster to just leave and find another group to complete the dungeon with. People who are there to get things done and take it seriously typically spend time and effort into their character looks.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

that’s nonsense, I’ve seen more trolls in full black than in pink so far.
that being said, if you would care about what every dumb player thought, you would have no time for anything. Just play the way you like it, and if stupid idiots come and go, let them.

Posted by: Andy Warhol.6250

Andy Warhol.6250

GW2 is like real life…. in that kittens come in all colours….

Kathor.5041

Thank you for your answers

I wanted to ask for other opinions because I couldn’t believe this happened and wanted to know if this was a new ’’trend’’ for players, but of course my in-game reaction was to go play pvp and keep enjoying the game. It is easy to find one kid, but 8 in a row seems unlikely.

For those asking: ~7500 and ~11000 ap, warrior and necro, full meta builds, half-asc/half-exotic and full ascended, normal dyes and skins (including expensive ones) used on armor and pink on outfit, nothing was said at the beginning but “hey” and “heyho”.

PS: no class requirements in their LFG

(edited by Kathor.5041)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I wouldn’t call it discrimination against dyes. I’d more call it a bunch of narrow-minded kittenes trying to be hardcore and judging books by it’s cover.

Though as others have said, that’s only going off your side of the story.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

I wanted to ask for other opinions because I couldn’t believe this happened and wanted to know if this was a new ’’trend’’ for players, but of course my in-game reaction was to go play pvp and keep enjoying the game. It is easy to find one kid, but 8 in a row seems unlikely.

For those asking: ~7500 and ~11000 ap, warrior and necro, full meta builds, half-asc/half-exotic and full ascended, normal dyes and skins (including expensive ones) used on armor and pink on outfit, nothing was said at the beginning but “hey” and “heyho”.

maybe it was wrong to say that, but think about how you look. You are spamming a very loud jarring colour and noone like that in a fantasy setting.

RoseofGilead.8907

maybe it was wrong to say that, but think about how you look. You are spamming a very loud jarring colour and noone like that in a fantasy setting.

My main warrior has worn bright pink since they day I created the character. I see plenty of brightly colored characters in the game. Clearly, lots of people like that in a “fantasy setting”.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I think you look fabulous

Not heard of dye discrimination before, but then I generally avoid pugs in the first place, seeing my playstyle conflicts with theirs… to some extend at least.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

People usually tend to wear full humiliation dye in pvp so when you get stomped by a pink fella you feel extra humiliated. Maybe your dye choice triggered some painfull memories

Posted by: Raziel Shivla.7526

Raziel Shivla.7526

Welcome to 21st century – where people are writing about the fact, that noone wanted to play with them and call it discrimination…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think you just ran into some very immature people.

On the EU servers it seems to be very common to run into people with absurd looking characters who are actually very good players. Often the two actually seem to go together because they’re people who don’t care about the story or lore, so when it comes to the game mechanics they view it strictly in terms of what works best, instead of choosing skills and traits to fit a theme or backstory.

But equally there are very good players with “realistic” looking characters.

I admit it’s purely my own bias but the ones I tend to be wary of are characters in cultural tier 3 armour dyed all black. To me that says they’re trying to conform to what they imagine other people want to see, but are incapable of any originality, and their build and approach to doing dungeons will likely follow the same pattern. They’ll use what some website told them is a meta build and mimic some youtubers movements exactly but if anything deviates from the routine they’ve been told to follow they won’t have any idea what to do.

(I still don’t kick them, I advertise groups as ‘everyone welcome’ and I mean it, but they’re the ones I expect to see struggling.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Scipion.7548

Scipion.7548

Often the two actually seem to go together because they’re people who don’t care about the story or lore, so when it comes to the game mechanics they view it strictly in terms of what works best, instead of choosing skills and traits to fit a theme or backstory.

I have experienced the opposite most of the time. People with bunny ears and stupid wings are often -18 year old people.

RoseofGilead.8907

I have experienced the opposite most of the time. People with bunny ears and stupid wings are often -18 year old people.

Nah, I’m fairly certain the bunny ears and wings are popular across all demographics.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

So only one of them actually gave you any reason to think they were “bigoted”?

Are we really supposed to lump the other 7 in because they didn’t want to play with you for undisclosed reasons? Talk about wild assumptions…

Attachments:

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m 34.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well, we only have your side of the story here. We weren’t there, and we’re not them, so we can’t say why they did what they did. Regardless, don’t waste your time worrying about the stupid reactions of a group of jerks. Block them, and then go back to playing. I can assure you that there are way more nice, friendly, and accepting people in-game than there are petty jerks.

Advice that covers so many situations in many online interactions.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well what was your character names?

A character’s look is only part of what others see and can change the tone of everything they see.

I occasionally get annoyed with what people name their characters, and depending on my mood at the time, I may even drop team.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

People stereotype, its life, sadly you can’t do anything about it, in the future i suggest not going in pink and see what changes.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Often the two actually seem to go together because they’re people who don’t care about the story or lore, so when it comes to the game mechanics they view it strictly in terms of what works best, instead of choosing skills and traits to fit a theme or backstory.

Isn’t 18 old enough to be in college or at least a senior in high school? Even when people aren’t mature for their age they’re usually immature by only a few years so an immature 18 year old may as well be 15, which is still high school aged.

It’s a game, it isn’t meant to be taken seriously. Who says they don’t care about the story and just wanna play within it in their own way? The great thing about games with options is we get to craft our own lore and fit that in the universe.

I’m mature and get creative with what the game gives me, and that’s intended. My thief is currently a Sonic parody called Sornic the Human. If we can’t have fun in a game and focus on improving our skills within the game then why bother playing? Character customization is just the light, fun and fluffy part and I’ve seen a great dragonhunter modeled after Wario last season in PvP. Just because they’re designed in a fun way that might offend lore people’s sensibilities doesn’t make them bad players. I’ve seen great and poor Norns in bright pink with funny colored mustaches and it’s always fun to see them.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

I know some seriously biased people and you will never change their opinions, just don’t let it drag you down.

You never know, though, there could be other reasons for them leaving group. I had a whole group quit my fractal before it started today and I was using black/blue dyes. :O

Attachments:

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

A higher percentage of pugs are jerks, the only way they can find a group is to go to lfg. I am not saying that all people that pug are jerks, btw, I have tried to pug quite a few times, rarely do I have good experiences. I’ve also joined groups and left right away, and it had nothing to do with the color of their dyes, it was their f’d up attitudes.

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I pug AC daily bc it’s an easily puggable dungeon and I’d rather just start a run when I’m ready and get it over with than try to schedule runs with guildies. I’d estimate more than 90% of those runs are quick and pleasant, though the ones that aren’t do tend to stick out a lot more in my memory . . .

That said, people join and leave pugs without saying anything all the time. It seems odd to assign a motivation to all of those separate, independent individuals based on something only one of them said . . .

Kathor.5041

Wow I didn’t expect so many answers in a post about such trivial matter.

For that one guy asking about my names, I’m concerned about being able to fulfill online etiquette so my characters are usually lore friendly in the ’’permanent’’ part of the character (name, physical appearance and long term gear skins), but I feel free to change the other part (usually dyes, musical instruments/toys, flying carpets…), even to stupid choices just to have fun.

And for other comments: if you want to see if anything makes a change in life, you have to change only one variable and see the results. I just came from a Crucible of Eternity run wearing normal dyes so here I changed at least 2 variables that I can control, the dungeon and my dyes, and pugs (people) is a variable I can’t control, so, can I say dyes are the only reason why people left? No. From the things I can know (that is not pug’s minds), can be probable that the dyes were the cause? Could be. That’s why I wanted opinions and not to ’’solve’’ this matter (<- friendly statement, don’t get it wrong)

Regarding colors and aesthetic choices, I’m fine with whatever and the worse thing I see are those persons that just stick everything they find into their character, making a “gear version” of Frankenstein. But it’s their choice and after 2 seconds I couldn’t care less.

Attachments:

(edited by Kathor.5041)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Most likely to be them judging you on your AP and/or mastery level but, yeah, it might also have been the dyes. That’s their problem tbh. There are plenty of players who just play rather than judge. I barely notice what other party members are wearing!

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

Oh, you shouldn’t be surprised, people LOVE talking about pugs. I suspect it’s bc pugs are pretty much anonymous encounters, so you can’t really talk about them with the pugs themselves . . .

But the answer to your original question is still probably no. The eight people who left most probably left for eight different reasons, very few if any of which had anything to do with you, probably. Now that you’ve got me thinking about it, it’s actually pretty unlikely that even the one person who did comment before leaving was actually reacting to you. I’d be more inclined to believe he just felt like logging in to some random group, calling them names and leaving. I mean, you said you PvP, surely you’re aware that such players exist . . .