Discrimination of casual PvE palyers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ah, well, we don’t all play 12 hours a day, do we? Lol.

Length of time played a day isn’t a definition for casual or hardcore. Nor is raiding a hardcore activity, my guild runs practice raids every week and there are plenty of first timers each time. One of my friends from another game, whenever he comes here, just plays lowbies for a whole day.

I think we need to define who these casuals are that are being discriminated against before we can decide if there’s any merit to any of this. If we just mean “people who don’t want to raid” then the collective noun for that isn’t “casuals”.

Not sure what your reply has to do with Legendaries acquired, or want of something awarded other than Spirit Shards for maxing Mastery Tracks, but thanks for sharing your opinion. =)

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

As a person who raids and has 170 mastery, I agree that the requirement to raid in order to max out and get spirit shards should be separate.

However, I will always continue to be a strong advocate for raids and future raids. They are really well done in this game and they put what you’ve learned throughout the entire game to the test while also introducing some new interesting mechanics.

In the long future, like with pretty much every game, the difficultly with raids now will fade with increased power creep, new elite speculations, more people getting used to them/ mastering them, and more/ newer ways to gain gear even though its already easy as is.

As it stands now, you either have to kill the first raid boss in wing 1, finish the bandit event in wing 2, or finish the first event in wing 3 to unlock the raid mastery. The easiest being the first event in wing 3. Its not that hard to do, but i guess thats just me…ugh.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I don’t understand why this is a problem.

I haven’t maxed all of my masteries yet, therefore I don’t want my XP to go on spirit shards (which I already have far more than enough of and can get from other places) – I want it to go on finishing my masteries.

I don’t feel like a second class citizen or like I’m being discriminated against. I feel like I still have an actual use for my XP, instead of it being dumped into a ‘consolation prize’ which is what will happen if I ever finish them all. (Which seems unlikely now they’re adding new ones.)

The problem is you used to get something as an 80 when you gathered one level’s worth of XP. Now they are back to that ….. but ONLY if you have maxed out the masteries. You might not need certain masteries, you might have trouble getting mastery points, whatever. The point is now some people are getting spirit shards (solving the ‘XP goes poof’ problem for them) but other people are not. Typically the people without maxed masteries are casuals.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

If it was something other than Spirit Shards on offer, I might have an opinion, but….as it is, I have way too many now, so even if I did have all my Masteries finished, Raid or no, I won’t really miss this ‘reward’.

In other words, I wish it was something else one could acquire.

How many legendary weapons have you made? lol

Why is this the default insult for anyone whose accomplished anything good in the game? omg you make a lot of legendaries u never leave house lawl…… doubleyewteeeff man. Someone said this to me the other day because i had more mastery points on my alt account than him and i’m like r u serious even if i did play 12 hours a day its not all on one account man.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If it was something other than Spirit Shards on offer, I might have an opinion, but….as it is, I have way too many now, so even if I did have all my Masteries finished, Raid or no, I won’t really miss this ‘reward’.

Why is this the default insult for anyone whose accomplished anything good in the game? omg you make a lot of legendaries u never leave house lawl……

Just maybe in this instance it’s because Cedo knows Vayne plays a lot because Vayne has told us he does — many times.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Why is this the default insult for anyone whose accomplished anything good in the game? omg you make a lot of legendaries u never leave house lawl……

Just maybe in this instance it’s because Cedo knows Vayne plays a lot because Vayne has told us he does — many times.

Ah mb then i’ll just poke my nose out of that one.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^Ha ha! And as my Guild Leader and friend, I know how much he plays.

Don’t worry, we are just playing. ; )

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t understand why this is a problem.

I haven’t maxed all of my masteries yet, therefore I don’t want my XP to go on spirit shards (which I already have far more than enough of and can get from other places) – I want it to go on finishing my masteries.

I don’t feel like a second class citizen or like I’m being discriminated against. I feel like I still have an actual use for my XP, instead of it being dumped into a ‘consolation prize’ which is what will happen if I ever finish them all. (Which seems unlikely now they’re adding new ones.)

The problem is you used to get something as an 80 when you gathered one level’s worth of XP. Now they are back to that ….. but ONLY if you have maxed out the masteries. You might not need certain masteries, you might have trouble getting mastery points, whatever. The point is now some people are getting spirit shards (solving the ‘XP goes poof’ problem for them) but other people are not. Typically the people without maxed masteries are casuals.

See, the offensive part of this is that it’s not a problem that a person doesn’t get something because they haven’t completed something they need to do to get it. There is no reward for getting to almost done. Some people have all been fooled by education systems into thinking participation is worth rewarding. Real World is going to show you something else.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

See, the offensive part of this is that it’s not a problem that a person doesn’t get something because they haven’t completed something they need to do to get it. There is no reward for getting to almost done. Some people have all been fooled by education systems into thinking participation is worth rewarding. Real World is going to show you something else.

I’m pretty sure killing bandits for their loot is frowned upon in the Real World.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

Honestly I dont understand why we cant just have 2 Experience bars that both get Fed. one for the spirit shard reward and one for the selected Mastery Track. Why must we even choose.

This makes me really think of the AA Experience from back in Everquest days, where the Player had to choose what % to take from Leveling their character in order to earn AA points to spend on bettering their character along side leveling. (And for Raids you were REQUIRED to have X amount of points, when I quit EQ I had short of 800~ AA)

It was a broken system then and its a broken system now. There really is no place for this ‘selective’ EXP in GW2. Just make everything level for all players. You get Experience at 80 for shards and the same experience is also put into your mastery track.

Its bad enough we are gated/locked behind masteries in order to progress in the game, but for it to cost us standard experience and remove the shards as a reward is just another slap in the face.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As Sartharina said, the problem is when you have more than enough exp for the Masteries, but not enough Mastery Points to acquire them. At that point your exp goes nowhere and is wasted until you are able to get enough mastery points to open up new masteries or you finish all of them.

That’s not a problem though … I believe that’s the intent. If you want that XP to matter, you need to actively get the mastery points. It’s a way for Anet to encourage players to experience the game. If some XP is wasted in the process, so be it.

Except for the fact that it also requires raiding, an activity that the very devs stated they developed as challenging group content for a minority of the player-base. I do not believe that this is intentional. Anet has made plenty of oversights before.

Mastery points require Raiding? Is that what you are saying?

No. Unlocking a raid mastery track requires raiding. And having even a single uncompleted mastery track (even if it’s locked) prevents you from getting spirit shards in that area (in this case HoT).

While I disagree with Obtena on whether or not the spirit shards should be able to be earned before completing all mastery tracks, Obtena is right in saying that they can’t please everyone.

There will always be some content that one person will love but another person will hate.

Sure, but this is not a valid argument to automatically discard any suggestion you might dislike.

That’s not why I dismissed the idea. There is little value in it. The complaint is that you have to DO something to ‘unlock’ XP being useful … in otherwords, people don’t want to do something to get something specific.

No. The complaint is that something general, something that all players had (but has been taken away) is now locked beyond something specific that Anet knew kitten well most people will never do (and they knew, because they designed it that way).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: fallconn.6480

fallconn.6480

Let me start by saying that GW2 is a great game and I have spent many hours playing with my wife and the occasional guild group enjoying the content.

With that being said, the game has really seemed to have moved away from the casual player and catered very specifically on the hardcore players. Don’t get me wrong, they have a big place in the game also but so does the casual player. I have no problem with you providing them content as long as you are also balancing that with content for the casual player.

My complaint is that everything released since HoT has focused tremendously on group play. I don’t mind the meta events since those require coordination at the zone level. I am talking about the standard content, hero points, exploration, side events, etc… These have all become very difficult to impossible for the casual player (aka husband and wife team) to enjoy. Add to that the raid content, additional fractal updates and PVP and it seems very focused on the group/raid players. When I saw the new living world additions, it made my mind up, we’re leaving for now. I’m not sure if losing the casual players matters that much to ANet. I don’t have the financial figures to see that perhaps the money is coming from the hardcore players and, in that case, it makes sense.

I just want to make sure that my feedback is added and hopefully heard. Please share some of the love with the casual players!

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I consider myself a casual player and I find that most of the content is still very casual. A lot of HoT content was nerfed to make it very easy. The new season 3 content story instances were all easy to solo and most of the achievements were soloable aside from the Justicar and Unbound Guardian bosses. Season 3 content ended up being much easier so far than season 2 content.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ll not participate in the discussion about types of players, I’ll just talk about myself.

Since HoT, there has been a very unfavorable ratio of new content I care about and new content I have no interest in whatsoever. That made me spend significantly less time on the game. Fact!

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I am a casual player and I am having a blast with all the new stuff and still having fun with the old stuff. Not leaving any time soon.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

I’m a casual player and I love the new stuff and challenges. It may be a bit harder than core Tyria content, but its still pretty friendly (and was repeatedly nerfed to make it even friendlier). In fact, pretty much everything Anet has done has made the content progressively friendlier to casuals, including the raids considering wing 3 is vastly easier than wings 1 and 2. Also, the new fractal is not hard so I’m not sure where you got that from. Sure, if you stand in damaging spots or stand right in front of the boss then you get killed, but that’s true for everything in the game.

When you leave, feel free to send me your stuff.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m a very ‘casual’ player, and I find the new map very easy, and lots of fun. And I almost always play ‘solo’. Only on weekends do I play with my SO.

Regardless, much luck on your other gaming pursuits.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Casual does not mean opposed to group play. Group content is not inherently anti-casual. The vast majority of the game is playable casually. The vast majority of the game is soloable.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m a “casual” player, so I still have tones of things to do. Is the content hard? It’s harder than the core game. But nothing a little practice can not fix. I’ve played the game for 4 years, and I can say, I’ve never ran out of things to do, but yes some of them have been things I don’t want to do. But enjoyed them all the same.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

When I saw this topic title here in the LW forum, my first thought was about how LWS3 seems to heavily rely upon material from GW1, which not everyone (me included) may not have even played. Example: You get the chance to ask about Caudecus and the White Mantle when you are in Rata Novus, but once you get to Bloodstone Fen, somehow your toon immediately knows everything about Bloodstones, which were never mentioned once in all of GW2, as far as I know. So there is a disconnect between the lore from GW1 and LWS3. So in that regard, I could say that your topic of “casual” and “hardcore” players still is true (“hardcore” in this sense would be players who have played GW1 and delved into all the lore and EU stuff). Though, I hate to attach labels to people…

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Yep. First wave leaves on the 9th, then the 30th, and again gradually as schools start up again.

Funny, I checked today and found that there were 107 above GW2 on Twitch. Funny how things change… I used to say this was my favorite MMO, the best on the market. Maybe I was just fanboying, but it’s not the same game anymore and I can’t support where its design is going.

Legendary Defender of Casuals

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Casual and Hardcore are very vague terms. Could you perhaps provide your definitions for them, OP? Before we can discuss this topic, we first need to establish the boundaries of the discussion.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Casual and Hardcore are very vague terms. Could you perhaps provide your definitions for them, OP? Before we can discuss this topic, we first need to establish the boundaries of the discussion.

I believe the OP is commenting on this:

“My complaint is that everything released since HoT has focused tremendously on group play. "

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

I choose to play wvw as my main game mode. I never expect any rewards for playing. Playing for me is the reward.

This aside, I am sickened by those unable to comprehend “others” may have feelings.

Please , please consider other people when you post foot stamping tantrum posts.

It really will not break you if someone else gets something. You will be ok , sharing can be fun as well.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I always wondered why we weren’t able to switch between our normal experience bar and mastery. Kinda comes off as being punished for buying the expansion.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The fact is that Mastery Points are tied up behind a lot of different types of play. Collections, Bosses, Living Story, Fractals, Raids, etc. This is great until you realize that its not that you have the option to do all these different things but that you MUST do at least some of these different things in order to cap your Masteries. And you won’t get any more XP until you cap your Masteries.

I’m not even asking for easier MP. If Anet simply gave us the option to “toggle-off” putting XP toward Masteries, that would be fine.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Where did this ridiculous rumor about how raids are ‘not accessible’ start?

There are literally no prerequisites or hard lockouts other than simply owning the expansion. The only thing holding players back is their own choice to not raid.

If you choose not do to something, don’t complain. Learn to adapt to the content instead of expecting ArenaNet to adapt everything to you.

Razor.9872

“There are not enough mastery points for me to start earning experience / spirit shards again.”

“There are too many mastery points, the is extra waste that annoys me because I can’t spend them.”

So which is it?

NSPride <3

(edited by Razor.9872)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

There are literally no prerequisites or hard lockouts other than simply owning the expansion. The only thing holding players back is their own choice to not raid.

If you choose not do to something, don’t complain. Learn to adapt to the content instead of expecting ArenaNet to adapt everything to you.

You need 10 people who are able to coordinate via voice chat to start raiding. That’s a fairly difficult prerequisite for the average player to overcome.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure where the ‘earn Spirit Shards again’ comes from. We could never earn Spirit Shards in the past by leveling; only Skill Points.

Oh, well, memory is a funny thing.

Razor.9872

I’m not sure where the ‘earn Spirit Shards again’ comes from. We could never earn Spirit Shards in the past by leveling; only Skill Points.

Oh, well, memory is a funny thing.

Excess skill points earned after 80 were converted to a new currency called spirit shards in a previous patch. Thus, every new level would reward spirit shards. However, due to the way the mastery system works, one can only begin earning them again (through leveling [not including other ways]) if all mysteries are maxed out — which many seem incapable of doing.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Most likely it started with raids. Which aren’t really that accessible.

There are no lockouts or prerequisities to getting into an instance with a group. There is a ton of soft prerequisities to actually raiding, though.

Learn to adapt to the content instead of expecting ArenaNet to adapt everything to you.

Funny, i thought that the game was for the players, not the other way around.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: MingYew.8521

MingYew.8521

I wonder why you post here? Do you really think the players posting here are not adapting to any changes made by ANet? Do you really think they will quit the game because ANet ignore their suggestion? What do you think they will do if ANet won’t even care about the suggestion here? Adapting to changes.

When it’s not affecting you, please don’t rub salt into the wounds of other people. Another thing, no one is really talking about the accessibility of raid. Pretty sure it was about the unfair treatment between raid and non-raid player. Or non-raid player not allowed to complain now? Maybe all the player MUST RAID now?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by MingYew.8521)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I wonder why you post here? Do you really think the players posting here are not adapting to any changes made by ANet? Do you really think they will quit the game because ANet ignore their suggestion? What do you think they will do if ANet won’t even care about the suggestion here? Adapting to changes.

When it’s not affecting you, please don’t rub salt into the wounds of other people. Another thing, no one is really talking about the accessibility of raid. Pretty sure it was about the unfair treatment between raid and non-raid player. Or non-raid player not allowed to complain now? Maybe all the player MUST RAID now?

How is it unfair? I have to go do the open world snorefest to get my mastery points and unlock spirit shard acquisition too. Sometimes they force people to do content they don’t want to do, it’s not unfair towards any group, every group is put in this situation by something.

MingYew.8521

How is it unfair? I have to go do the open world snorefest to get my mastery points and unlock spirit shard acquisition too. Sometimes they force people to do content they don’t want to do, it’s not unfair towards any group, every group is put in this situation by something.

If you think it’s not unfair, OK, I respect that. My view is the opposite.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Jerus.4350

No, it’s objectively fair to everyone in that everyone is forced out of their preferred play to jump through hoops they’ve set up. Do I enjoy it? Hell no. Would I like to see spirit shard acquisition done differently? Hell yes.

It’s just to sit here and say that you’re specifically unfairly treated because you have to jump through a hoop is just… well wrong. I had to go do a bunch of content that I found tiresome to get Leyline gliding so I could actually do raids. Sound familiar?

Djinn.9245

No, it’s objectively fair to everyone in that everyone is forced out of their preferred play to jump through hoops they’ve set up. Do I enjoy it? Hell no. Would I like to see spirit shard acquisition done differently? Hell yes.

It’s just to sit here and say that you’re specifically unfairly treated because you have to jump through a hoop is just… well wrong. I had to go do a bunch of content that I found tiresome to get Leyline gliding so I could actually do raids. Sound familiar?

I think there’s a misunderstanding: just because someone points out that Casual players are at a disadvantage with the new system doesn’t exclude any other type of player from also having issues with the new system. For example, “Save the Pandas” isn’t trying to exclude all the other animals that need saving. We don’t see people objecting to “Save the Pandas” because it isn’t including every other animal.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

MingYew.8521

Can I not have different view than yours? Are you going to argue about it?

What if I tell you I like open world content?

I also have to do a bunch of content I don’t like to do to get enough mastery points. Adventures are the worst. I always hate to do all this collection and achievement since the game was released. But back then we only get achievement points so I don’t bother about it. Now I have to do it to get enough points. I hate to do it as well.

No matter what is your view or mine, it’s up to ANet to decide. What I don’t like most of the time when I view the forums is that a lot of people here cannot respect other people have their own view and want to win an argument.

Jerus.4350

I also have to do a bunch of content I don’t like to do to get enough mastery points. Adventures are the worst. I always hate to do all this collection and achievement since the game was released. But back then we only get achievement points so I don’t bother about it. Now I have to do it to get enough points. I hate to do it as well.

No matter what is your view or mine, it’s up to ANet to decide. What I don’t like most of the time when I view the forums is that a lot of people here cannot respect other people have their own view and want to win an argument.

We actually have the same view on this I believe, that this system sucks.

But, it’s fair no matter how you look at it, it’s not a matter of opinion or view. Raiders don’t get handed the spirit shard acquisition, they just happen to have voluntarily jump through this hoop that is now slightly more rewarding than it was in the past.

And whatever you like in the game, doesn’t matter, go have fun with what you enjoy. But, we all have to jump through the same hoops to get the shinies we seek, and there are various hoops that different people are going to enjoy to different degrees.

MingYew.8521

But, it’s fair no matter how you look at it, it’s not a matter of opinion or view. Raiders don’t get handed the spirit shard acquisition, they just happen to have voluntarily jump through this hoop that is now slightly more rewarding than it was in the past.

And whatever you like in the game, doesn’t matter, go have fun with what you enjoy. But, we all have to jump through the same hoops to get the shinies we seek, and there are various hoops that different people are going to enjoy to different degrees.

Like I said, if you think it’s a fair system then I respect that. I do understand raiders have to do a lot of things they don’t like to do as well. That’s why they get the best rewards in the game. I did list some of them on the previous page.

The suggestion listed by Galeom.6832 did not take anything away from anyone. In fact, everyone will get spirit shards. Do you think this is a bad idea? Or do you think people who don’t raid are not worth getting any spirit shards?

Why I say unfair is because previously anyone who is at lvl80 will get spirit shards when they level up. Now only raiders get it when they max their HoT mastery one day. This is my personal opinion feel free to disagree.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Why I say unfair is because previously anyone who is at lvl80 will get spirit shards when they level up. Now only raiders get it when they max their HoT mastery one day. This is my personal opinion feel free to disagree.

My only issue is the singling out of raiders. It misrepresents the issue.

You could just as easily have said “now only players who are good at adventures get it when they max their HoT mastery one day.” Or, “now only players who grind the story achievements get it when they max their HoT mastery one day.” Etc.

Yes, you also said, “I do understand raiders have to do a lot of things they don’t like to do as well.” But, you still then followed it with singling out raiders as I just pointed out.

The only barriers that exist for players to pursue content are the ones they make for themselves…. and that applies to everyone, not just ‘causal PvEers.’

~EW

Jerus.4350

Like I said, if you think it’s a fair system then I respect that. I do understand raiders have to do a lot of things they don’t like to do as well. That’s why they get the best rewards in the game. I did list some of them on the previous page.

The suggestion listed by Galeom.6832 did not take anything away from anyone. In fact, everyone will get spirit shards. Do you think this is a bad idea? Or do you think people who don’t raid are not worth getting any spirit shards?

Doing one raid to unlock the masteries does not make you a “raider” so no, not only raiders get this benefit.

His suggestion sounds great.

My only problem is the incorrect assertion that’s this system unfairly benefits raiders. That’s just not true. It is an objectively fair system, it’s just a subjectively kittenty one.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I agree. Progress isn’t wasted in other game modes, you can play wvwvw forever and repeat tracks, same for pvp, but once you max out in pve… That’s it?

You’re a genius.

Djinn.9245

You could just as easily have said “now only players who are good at adventures get it when they max their HoT mastery one day.” Or, “now only players who grind the story achievements get it when they max their HoT mastery one day.” Etc.

Yes, you also said, “I do understand raiders have to do a lot of things they don’t like to do as well.” But, you still then followed it with singling out raiders as I just pointed out.

The only barriers that exist for players to pursue content are the ones they make for themselves…. and that applies to everyone, not just ‘causal PvEers.’

~EW

Actually, it is accurate to point at Raiding because there is a Raiding Mastery line that is ONLY unlocked by killing a raid boss. All of the other HoT Mastery lines do not require any game mode that can’t be soloed. The first 2 Mastery lines are unlocked by completing the HoT story “Torn From the Sky”. The remaining Mastery lines are unlocked simply by entering HoT zones.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

Actually, it is accurate to point at Raiding because there is a Raiding Mastery line that is ONLY unlocked by killing a raid boss. All of the other HoT Mastery lines do not require any game mode that can’t be soloed. The first 2 Mastery lines are unlocked by completing the HoT story “Torn From the Sky”. The remaining Mastery lines are unlocked simply by entering HoT zones.

You can’t fill out the raiding mastery line without the MPs. So, the fact that you have to go raiding to unlock the line makes 0 difference at this time. Everyone still has to do stuff they may not want to do to max masteries, and trying to separate raiders out as something special muddies the conversation and promotes more unproductive player division.

~EW

edit: P.S. Just to be clear, I’m not a palyer. I’ve never palied in my life. When people look at me, one of the first things that always goes through their head is, ‘that guy wouldn’t know a paly if he saw one.’ :P

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

That’s not why I dismissed the idea. There is little value in it. The complaint is that you have to DO something to ‘unlock’ XP being useful … in otherwords, people don’t want to do something to get something specific.

No. The complaint is that something general, something that all players had (but has been taken away) is now locked beyond something specific that Anet knew kitten well most people will never do (and they knew, because they designed it that way).

I don’t see the issue there. They reworked how players were rewarded for doing certain tasks. Games change and that change doesn’t seem unreasonable. They also made spirit shards drop from mobs, which IIRC they didn’t before either, so it’s not like Anet didn’t consider how the change would impact players.

What I said still stands … the complaint is that you have to do something to get the reward … complaining something changed is just stupid … things change in games all the time.

It also occured to me that it’s not just raiding that you need to unlock to get all your masteries, so it’s pretty nonsense to me that someone singled out Raiding masteries as THE ones blocking people from unlocking spirit shards with XP.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Djinn.9245

What I said still stands … the complaint is that you have to do something to get the reward … complaining something changed is just stupid … things change in games all the time.

What we’re talking about is XP. Of course we don’t want to do nothing to get XP. I personally would like to be able to receive XP whether I cap Masteries or not. I shouldn’t need to cap Masteries just to get XP for doing anything else in the game.

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

The funny thing is, out of all the ways to earn masteries, raids are actually the easiest. You only have to do one single encounter of your choice, which means you can do the easiest one (escort) and never touch raids again. It’s not like you need to clear the entire raid 100 times or something.

You can’t say the same for adventures, story achievements, bosses, etc.

Man I would love to only have to do a single adventure of my choice to unlock all mastery points!

(edited by Chaos.5072)

Djinn.9245

The funny thing is, out of all the ways to earn masteries, raids are actually the easiest. You only have to do one single encounter of your choice, which means you can do the easiest one (escort) and never touch raids again. It’s not like you need to clear the entire raid 100 times or something.

Everyone has their own opinion of what is easy and difficult. You have just expressed your opinion, it differs from mine.

You can’t say the same for adventures, story achievements, bosses, etc.

It is definitely the case that Mastery Points are locked behind a great variety of content. It would be nice if we ALL could progress the game by playing the content we prefer rather than being forced to play how someone else has decided we should play.

Posted by: Mandar.9813

Mandar.9813

It is definitely the case that Mastery Points are locked behind a great variety of content. It would be nice if we ALL could progress the game by playing the content we prefer rather than being forced to play how someone else has decided we should play.

Are you really not aware that that is the entire point of a game? A developer has an idea and content they want to share with gamers, and they decide how you will progress through the content. This game is not a sandbox and has never been described as one, and only a sandbox game is going to give you an experience where play without any restrictions and get all the rewards you want. I mean… my mind is literally boggled trying to think about all the various ways I could try to explain to you why you are so wrong with saying “you are forced to play the way someone decides you should play”. I have to stop. My head is going to explode from trying to ponder ways to counter your sense of entitlement.

Your Resident Devil’s Advocate