Discussing Mystic Coins

Discussing Mystic Coins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

There has been a lot of talk recently about amalgamated gemstones, and for good reason. The price of them and the sheer volume of orb (etc) required to make them is what has brought them to the front of conversation, but its not the price in and of itself that is the issue, its that there is no reliable way to get them. I have seen multiple threads and talked to others scouring the game looking for each and every source of orbs with the common conclusion that there is no feasible way to farm them.

But there is another item that suffers from the same issue, except that it has no gameplay source at all: Mystic coins. Yes, you can get them from the mystic clovers recipe, but at a 1% chance (according to the wiki) of getting 5 mystic coins back, its a net loss of coins, so I am not counting that.

Mystic coins only come from daily login rewards and the random mystic forger daily. Even assuming that a person gets all of their clovers from pvp, a Gen 2 legendary still requires 250 Mystic coins. What this means is that, depending on mystic forger dailies, mystic coins are little more than ~9+ months of tradeable timegates.

The prices on the TP have been on a general upward trend since the release of the Gen 2 legendaries. Winters presence caused a big spike in the price, but after some decrease due to the demand from winters presence mostly ending, the prices went back to increasing. I am sure there are some people buying some now in preparation for the next set of legendaries and I am also sure that there are some people buying them by the thousands just to flip later.

The issue, however, is not the price, the price is merely a symptom of the issue: that there is no reliable way to get them in the game, just like the amalgamated gemstones. Economically, the price is determined by supply and demand of an item. When the price of an item increases, it means either the supply has decreased or the demand has increased. In the same way, when the price of an item increases, for either reason, players can adjust their gameplay to some extent to offset the price increases. If the price is high enough, gold farmers will adjust to include that item in their farming; crafters will farm that item over buying it. Elder wood is a good example of the latter. The elder wood farm in malchor’s leap has been very busy since the legendaries were released due to the price of elder wood and spiritwood.

However, when the price of an unfarmeable item like mystic coins increases, the only thing that can happen to mitigate it at all is a decrease in demand, ie, people stop making legendaries or other mystic coin items, or put another way, people stop engaging in a part of the game content. Once the stored supply of mystic coins runs out (currently there are less than 17k mystic coins on the TP, a decrease of more than 90% over the last 3 months, and this amount is going down) There will essentially be a cap of the number of legendaries that will be able to be created per unit of daily logins globally. If someone wants to make 1 legendary in less than 9 months, they MUST rely on other people selling their coins either putting off or all together skipping new legendary crafting.

This is not a post to say that legendaries should be easy to obtain. However, ALL of their components should be obtainable purposefully, not randomly (like orb drops for gemstones) and not as an absurdly long timegate (9+months in the case of mystic coins). In my opinion, 75 daily timegates for spirit wood on nevermore is pushing the boundary of a reasonable timegate. mystic coins are far and above that and for the same reason amalgamated gemstones should be looked at, so should mystic coins.

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

I try to give a solution to issues when I see things like this as opposed to just saying “fix it”. It may not be the best solution, but here it goes. I would propose a recipe for account bound mystic coins. (and then current acquisition methods of mystic coins would still be tradeable but given a right click -> account bind to make them stack with the recipe). The recipe should still provide some overall rarity to both the game and the individual account, retain the value of mystic coins and make them obtainable purposefully but not necessarily spammable in the long run.

depending on the use, there are some account bound currencies that have the following values:

- Laurels: ~60s (account bound, unfarmable, so wont be used in too high a volume)

-Spirit shards: 1-2G

-karma 8-11s/1k

So as not to appear to be trying to inflate these values, I will value them down some when proposing the recipe.

Mystic crystals: 5 (3 spirit shards)
Mystic Binding Agent: 1 (1 laurel)
Obsidian Shard: 5 (<25k karma)
Gold Ingot: 10

Yield: 10 account bound mystic coins. Yes, using under valued amounts for the above currencies, this would still make the recipe cost more than just buying mystic coins at their current value, but the attempt is to make them obtainable and to essentially put a cap on the price that mystic coins can rise to without causing a situation where prices stabilize due to people not making recipes that involve mystic coins.

(edited by That Guy.5704)

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Formerly we got one mystic coin a day plus 10 mystic coins for Monthlies for a total of 38-41 mystic coins a month. Last month I got a whopping 25 mystic coins.

I think all we need is an additional option in the chest of loyalty to give us 20-30 mystic coins.

This would make it so that folks that wanted/needed more mystic coins could get more in a month and choose that option. Don’t need to have account bound mystic coins or any other weirdness. Choice is good right?

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Well, I can’t speak for others but I’ll be checking the prices later on to see if it is worth selling some of mine.

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

Formerly we got one mystic coin a day plus 10 mystic coins for Monthlies for a total of 38-41 mystic coins a month. Last month I got a whopping 25 mystic coins.

I think all we need is an additional option in the chest of loyalty to give us 20-30 mystic coins.

This would make it so that folks that wanted/needed more mystic coins could get more in a month and choose that option. Don’t need to have account bound mystic coins or any other weirdness. Choice is good right?

30 mystic coins in the final monthly chest still results in about a 5 month gate on a legendary and at the exclusion of any other mystic coin recipe, the big issue I was trying to address. Its better, but still too long, even if they are tradeable. Dont like the account bound part? thats fine. if it works within the market to allow tradeable coins to be made that way, sure, forget the account bound part. Making them account bound was to avoid having a giant crash (even though there would be some intial decrease) on the tp.

Discussing Mystic Coins

khani.4786

30 mystic coins in the final monthly chest still results in about a 5 month gate. Its better, but still too long, even if they are tradeable. Dont like the account bound part? fine. if it works within the market to allow tradeable coins to be made that way, sure, forget the account bound part. Making them account bound was to avoid having a giant crash (even though there would be some intial decrease) on the tp.

30 in the final chest would be on top of the 25 or so we get through the track and mystic forger daily for a total of about 55 every 28 days. This would be better than the old daily/monthly system and would help ease the cost of the coins without completely crashing the market (which some people seem to care about).

Another option would be to give 5 mystic coins for the daily since it comes up so rarely.

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

30 mystic coins in the final monthly chest still results in about a 5 month gate. Its better, but still too long, even if they are tradeable. Dont like the account bound part? fine. if it works within the market to allow tradeable coins to be made that way, sure, forget the account bound part. Making them account bound was to avoid having a giant crash (even though there would be some intial decrease) on the tp.

30 in the final chest would be on top of the 25 or so we get through the track and mystic forger daily for a total of about 55 every 28 days. This would be better than the old daily/monthly system and would help ease the cost of the coins without completely crashing the market (which some people seem to care about).

Another option would be to give 5 mystic coins for the daily since it comes up so rarely.

I know I included the 20 from daily logins currently. 20+30 = 50 = 5 month timegate on a new legendary (minus daily mystic forger of course) if you get your clovers from pvp. getting back to 9-10 months if you are talking about forging for clovers.

Just handing out more does reduce the price. However, I am fine with the current price, the issue I see is that supply cannot be purposefully created in response to increased uses and ANet has shown with the halloween and christmas shoulder skins that they will just drop in a recipe needing 250 coins. What the game needs is a more purposeful and reliable way to get them by other means that retains their value while making them more accessible whether through my proposal or some other means.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

A small problem with making the new coins account bound is that you then need two different collection spots for mystic coins (as you would not be able to stack the two types together).
Not that it’s impossible, it just creates a headache for the devs.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

A small problem with making the new coins account bound is that you then need two different collection spots for mystic coins (as you would not be able to stack the two types together).
Not that it’s impossible, it just creates a headache for the devs.

yea, that is a bit of an issue and I recognize that. Thats why I mentioned allowing non account bound ones to be made account bound. Also, like I said in response to another post, I said that mainly to avoid a massive TP influx of coins in a single day should I change like this be made. If that is ok or if it is unlikely to happen (I think it probably would happen) then we can forget about the account bound part. That really isnt the focus of the proposal, making a reliable alternative way to access mystic coins while retaining their value is the primary purpose here.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I understand if you want to farm all the mats yourself, the annoyance of the time gates. However I believe the TP negates all time gates.

While you can not farm certain mats, that I will not dispute, you can farm plenty of stuff you don’t need to craft the same legendary weapon. Then you can simply turn around and sell on tp, then buy the materials you do need... I have constructed 6 legendary weapons to date, 3 of them included building the precursor. I did not buy gold to just buy the mats, but simply farmed what I could and bought the rest with stuff I didn’t need.

I don’t think this is a broken item that needs fixing, granted I hate time gates myself, but Anet seems to be tossing them everywhere. 42 days on leg fractal back piece, if you have mastery to to 2 fractal missions, double that if you do not. Mawdrey has time gates on the food items, all ascended have these crazy daily timers... I’m sure more and more stuff will be behind time gates.

Just learn how to bypass them if if you cannot wait...

Discussing Mystic Coins

khani.4786

I know I included the 20 from daily logins currently. 20+30 = 50 = 5 month timegate on a new legendary (minus daily mystic forger of course) if you get your clovers from pvp. getting back to 9-10 months if you are talking about forging for clovers.

Just handing out more does reduce the price. However, I am fine with the current price, the issue I see is that supply cannot be purposefully created in response to increased uses and ANet has shown with the halloween and christmas shoulder skins that they will just drop in a recipe needing 250 coins. What the game needs is a more purposeful and reliable way to get them by other means that retains their value while making them more accessible whether through my proposal or some other means.

True (I’m bad at mathing…). I completely agree with you. Another method of acquisition besides login rewards would indeed be helpful and I would use it.

And addition to the Halloween & Wintersday shoulders we now need to make the mystic weapons if we want the specialization weapons.

What if they got added as a possible map reward bonus? That way for at least one week of the cycle they would be farmable though PvE gameplay.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

Deal with it.
The game needs items worth money, and they give you mystic coins for FREE for doing absolutely nothing in game but logging in. Your not supposed to be able to instantly craft a legendary, and the option to buy the coins from other players is always there for impatient people or credit card warriors.

Its getting really annoying how every other thread is just lazy entitled people trying to make everything effortless because they want instant gratification

Legendarys are long term rewards, and in no way a requirement. They are SUPPOSED to cost a lot of gold/time to make

9 months is totally reasonable a timegate for such a reward, and thats not even a real thing timegate, its a timegate only if you want to spend zero gold.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

For orbs, someone posted a suggestion using all of those HoT components that are sitting near vendor value as part of a recipe to craft a new orb that could be used as a substitute. It’ll raise the value of those items, maintain the existing cost to craft ingots, and provide a path to farm the materials by playing in HoT.

As far as mystic coins, I can’t think of a good solution. With how so many recipes use them, there does need to be an additional way to earn them to compensate. Perhaps letting players buy them with laurels and/or commendations.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

For orbs, someone posted a suggestion using all of those HoT components that are sitting near vendor value as part of a recipe to craft a new orb that could be used as a substitute. It’ll raise the value of those items, maintain the existing cost to craft ingots, and provide a path to farm the materials by playing in HoT.

As far as mystic coins, I can’t think of a good solution. With how so many recipes use them, there does need to be an additional way to earn them to compensate. Perhaps letting players buy them with laurels and/or commendations.

You buy them from players who sell the ones they don’t use. And there are likely players sitting on stacks of them waiting for the price to go up on them.

Discussing Mystic Coins

khani.4786

I dont’ think anyone is asking to completely negate the timegate of mystic coins. I personally just want it shortened a bit.

I’ve made 10 legendaries and will soon make my 11th. I know all about timegates and spending gold to make them….that’s not the issue. I’ve made both of the shoulder skins from Wintersday & Halloween as well and wound up buying a bunch of coins then too. Again, I could have waited longer, but I just bought them because I could. Still, I wish we at least got as many per month as we used to.

At least a slight increase in Mystic coins will be helpful in making not only legendaries but everything else that requires them as well.

Minimum increase – more from the Mystic Forger daily
Ideal increase (for me) – Add an option to the Chest of Loyalty to get 20-30 Coins.
Probably too much of an increase but would be nice – Also add them to the map rewards.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

You buy them from players who sell the ones they don’t use. And there are likely players sitting on stacks of them waiting for the price to go up on them.

Perhaps there are people holding onto to them. However, we can use that same reasoning for every item in the game. Just because other players who are not using them can sell them, or some may be stockpiling, doesn’t mean that there could not be an issue with supply.

Edit: Just look at the price trend. Clearly there are hints that there may be a supply issue.

Attachments:

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

I understand if you want to farm all the mats yourself, the annoyance of the time gates. However I believe the TP negates all time gates.

While you can not farm certain mats, that I will not dispute, you can farm plenty of stuff you don’t need to craft the same legendary weapon. Then you can simply turn around and sell on tp, then buy the materials you do need… I have constructed 6 legendary weapons to date, 3 of them included building the precursor. I did not buy gold to just buy the mats, but simply farmed what I could and bought the rest with stuff I didn’t need.

I don’t think this is a broken item that needs fixing, granted I hate time gates myself, but Anet seems to be tossing them everywhere. 42 days on leg fractal back piece, if you have mastery to to 2 fractal missions, double that if you do not. Mawdrey has time gates on the food items, all ascended have these crazy daily timers… I’m sure more and more stuff will be behind time gates.

Just learn how to bypass them if if you cannot wait…

Maydrey was 21 days, Backpack = 42 days, longest precursor I think is 75 days. Mystic coins > 9 months These arent even in the same general area.

The issue I see is not the price of mystic coins, as I said. I can farm 75-100G to buy mystic coins, thats not an issue. The issue I see is the hard cap of mystic coins per unit of daily logins game wide. If the game handed you 250 or even 100/month it would be a 1-2.5 month gate. It would be an annoyance, but not so bad. But, as it stands, because there is no alternative source that can be used purposefully to create extra supply in response to a new recipe. Having to buy them from the TP in order to complete a legendary (or festival shoulder skin, or some other mystic coin recipe) in any reasonable amount of time necessarily relies on other players not creating ANY items with their mystic coins. That shouldnt be the case.

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

lol that was me.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Imagine the price of mystic coins right now, if they would have introduced the whole sets of new legendary weapons, armor and backpacks with HoT Launch.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

Imagine the price of mystic coins right now, if they would have introduced the whole sets of new legendary weapons, armor and backpacks with HoT Launch.

$$$$$$$

Discussing Mystic Coins

Kayberz.5346

Perhaps there are people holding onto to them. However, we can use that same reasoning for every item in the game. Just because other players who are not using them can sell them, or some may be stockpiling, doesn’t mean that there could not be an issue with supply.

Edit: Just look at the price trend. Clearly there are hints that there may be a supply issue.

In my view, its not that there is a SHORTAGE of mystic coins now, its that befor HoT there was a SURPLUS of mystic coins
most players had tons of mystic coins that they werent even using, and the price was so cheap people didnt even think twice about just selling the extra ones on the TP right away after they had a stack in the bank

Now i feel mystic coin prices are more in line with what they should be., people were just too used to them being extremely cheap

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

In my view, its not that there is a SHORTAGE of mystic coins now, its that befor HoT there was a SURPLUS of mystic coins
most players had tons of mystic coins that they werent even using, and the price was so cheap people didnt even think twice about just selling the extra ones on the TP right away after they had a stack in the bank

Now i feel mystic coin prices are more in line with what they should be., people were just too used to them being extremely cheap

Except the price is still continuing to rise. You’ll see it get worse with the next batch of legendary weapons.

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

Except the price is still continuing to rise. You’ll see it get worse with the next batch of legendary weapons.

yep, I dont care about the price on the TP right now. I can buy them. Its what the design will cause as time passes, as new legendaries are released and as new mystic coin items are released like the 2 festival shoulders. the changes in the price over time jst highlight the issue, the price isnt the issue itself.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

yep, I dont care about the price on the TP right now. I can buy them. Its what the design will cause as time passes, as new legendaries are released and as new mystic coin items are released like the 2 festival shoulders. the changes in the price over time jst highlight the issue, the price isnt the issue itself.

Yep. Anet is adding more sinks to mystic coins without increase any of the faucets for them. Those faucets cannot meet demand by a large margin and that gap will continue to widen with each new sink that they add. I fully expect mystic coins to surpass 50 silver each with the next batch of legendary weapons if they’re more visually appearing than the current three.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Kayberz.5346

That should be expected, HoT is still pretty new, and the legendarys weren’t implemented right away, there is more demand for coins now because they have more uses.
Eventually the prices will stabilize, the legendarys werent something people could make immediately after they were released, it takes a decent amount of time to go through all the steps to make one, the people making one are all going at different paces, its not on the top of everyone’s priorities to get all the mystic coins they need first, people usually take it 1 step at a time and will buy the coins when they get to that point, the trending increase in price would be reflective of the general pace in crafting the legendarys amongst the player base

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

That should be expected, HoT is still pretty new, and the legendarys weren’t implemented right away, there is more demand for coins now because they have more uses.
Eventually the prices will stabilize, the legendarys werent something people could make immediately after they were released, it takes a decent amount of time to go through all the steps to make one, the people making one are all going at different paces, its not on the top of everyone’s priorities to get all the mystic coins they need first, people usually take it 1 step at a time and will buy the coins when they get to that point, the trending increase in price would be reflective of the general pace in crafting the legendarys amongst the player base

It took some time because of the requirements such as needing to max all masteries. There was also the roadblock that some of them had such as needing to fail an event or an event being bugged. Future legendary weapons will be obtained much quicker now than before.

The thing is that the price won’t stabilize. Each new batch of legendary weapons will cause more fluctuations in the price of mystic coins. Each new recipe that they add which uses mystic coins will exacerbate the problem further. Just imagine if Fargate Open, of whatever that sword is called, was a mystic forge recipe which required 100 mystic coins. The current supply level and faucets cannot sustain that.

How long do we need to wait and how much do the coins need to increase to before you see this as being a potential issue? If the price went up to 1G per coin, and showed no sign of going down, would you still be saying there’s no issue and that prices will eventually stabilize? What if the actually equilibrium for the price and supply level turned out to be around 1.5G?

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

but its the way that prices stabilize that is the issue. a price stabilizes at the point where demand and supply meet i.e. the market clearing price or equilibrium price. a rising price will stabilize either due to a decrease in demand or due to an increase in supply. Because mystic coins CANNOT increase the rate at which supply increases or, put another way, the supply per unit time cannot increase, the equilibrium price will (ceteris paribus) be the result of a decrease in demand due to people not making an item due to mystic coin availability.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Kayberz.5346

but its the way that prices stabilize that is the issue. a price stabilizes at the point where demand and supply meet i.e. the market clearing price or equilibrium price. a rising price will stabilize either due to a decrease in demand or due to an increase in supply. Because mystic coins CANNOT increase the rate at which supply increases or, put another way, the supply per unit time cannot increase, the equilibrium price will (ceteris paribus) be the result of a decrease in demand due to people not making an item due to mystic coin availability.

Really there just hasnt been enough time to determine this yet.
A lot of people arnt done with this first wave of legendarys so the price is still fluctuating. eventually the demand WILL go down because not everone is trying to make every legendary. there definitely will be a sudden increase in demand when the next batch are released, but that doesnt mean the demand will scale equally with the number of legendarys available.
A majority of People will be done with the first batch if they are working on them now, and many will have no interest in the new ones for whatever reason.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

Except the price rate is continuing to increase so we haven’t reached equilibrium yet. What if the equilibrium price ends up being 60 silver if no other sinks are added? What if all of the new legendary weapons cause that equilibrium to be 2G per coin? Each additional use, whether by new recipe or new legendary, shifts the demand curve outward resulting in higher prices.

Edit: I may have responded to the wrong person but don’t have time to verify.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hope you bought all the coins you need. This thread has drained the market of all its coins. Less than 10k left on the market now, I expect the price will be 1g each by the end of the week.

Probably the point of the thread in the first place lol

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

Hope you bought all the coins you need. This thread has drained the market of all its coins. Less than 10k left on the market now, I expect the price will be 1g each by the end of the week.

There was a similar impact on orbs too. Someone is manipulating the prices. It’s like what someone did with black lion chest and the coins last year. If you give it enough of a shock, the price will likely not return to the value that it was before.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I always have too many mystic coins, but then again I got 30 accounts to loot them from.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

It’s not surprising whats happening with mystic coins. I am still one of the few people who was perfectly fine where they were before “the fix,” to the daily/monthly reward system went in. It was actually more rewarding back then (even with a AP cap). Now it’s just mildly annoying without much variety. As a short term goal Mystic Coins have increased in value. Surpassing the value of an ectoplasm.

As That Guy pointed out there are so many things that already use mystic coins. Probably with new sinks coming down the line. Will increase their value as the supply decreases more over time. It’s like Arena Net wanted them to be the value of a Laurel (but directly trade-able). Yet their value will continue to rise beyond that.

Furthermore with the game going FTP and collections on top of that have caused mystic coins to become more scarce. Especially when you consider those FTP accounts don’t get access to daily login reward system, but have access to the TP. So they can get mystic coins, but they can’t really earn them. Beyond that daily system giving out a RNG Mystic Forger daily with a 1 mystic coin reward.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

I always have too many mystic coins, but then again I got 30 accounts to loot them from.

What the…

Discussing Mystic Coins

Sindex.9520

What the…

Simply people buy multiple accounts to get around the daily limitations (time gates). Or they get them as “joint accounts” for family members or friends. Or to some of them it’s cheaper option then picking up extra character slots through the gem store. Usually these account are picked up when GW2 is heavily discounted. It’s quite common practice for online gaming; especially on the steam platform. It’s another way to load up on things like Mystic Coins if you want, because Arena Net does not have any rules to stop this practice.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Discussing Mystic Coins

That Guy.5704

actually that wasnt the point. I dont really expect you to believe me because I can definitely see how it could be construed that way. I didnt even think about this effect until a couple hours after, checked the price, and sure enough someone is buying them up, but it certainly isnt me. even though I could have, I am not one to do that because I dont want to be a part of the problem, though evidently just bringing the issue to light is enough to have a negative effect

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Supply and demand. Simples see.

Less supply , More demand = Higher Price,

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The first surge in prices and drop in standing supply happen with the announcement of the login rewards and changes to the daily rewards. People who were unsure about the ability to get them bought up the market from 356K to 190K in a day. The 2nd big run on standing supply that spiked the price came with the Wintersday 2015 patch. Not sure why but supply went from 176K to 20K in a day.

Interestingly there seems to be a price spike just before Wanze posting. Curious.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Discussing Mystic Coins

Sindex.9520

The 2nd big run on standing supply that spiked the price came with the Wintersday 2015 patch. Not sure why but supply went from 176K to 20K in a day.

Probably due to the fact that people buy some of this stuff (mystic coins for this prime example) without realizing how much time/resources are needed to get said item. I have done the same thing before with a couple of different items. Including those items from Season 1 of Living World that were in limited supply (thanks to it being temporary content). For instance the Spinal Blade Pack Cores I still have 10 each type, because I never got around at getting high enough ascended crafting (at the time). Look how expensive those things are now.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

One problem that a lot don’t seem to see: Mystic coins are needed for a couple hundret items and not only for legendary’s!

You need thousands of them to get mystic forge weapons (like eternal sands), another couple thousands for (sry I don’t recall which it was, either plated weapons or specialization weapons), some more thousands of mystic coins for expensive stuff like nightfury, for hundreds of old tyria recipes and last for pecursor’s/legy’s.

Everyone can see that this is already a big problem because of the extremely slow supply. On top of that it seems that since october last year every new recipe / item needs more and more mystic coins. Probably it’s one of John Smiths ideas to raise mystic coin price. Sadly for most players exactly this is happening…

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Probably it’s one of John Smiths ideas to raise mystic coin price. Sadly for most players exactly this is happening…

One more proof that when you are thinking about keeping economy healthy, but only look at the big picture, it isn’t always healthy for the players.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

If you look at the masterwork amulet topic and the sudden increase of mystic coin price… it makes you think… maybe there will be a recipe to convert brilliant jewels into mystic coins… or people are just speculating as always

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Probably it’s one of John Smiths ideas to raise mystic coin price. Sadly for most players exactly this is happening…

One more proof that when you are thinking about keeping economy healthy, but only look at the big picture, it isn’t always healthy for the players.

This is only bad news to players who care about looks, as nearly all recipes for mystic coins are for cosmetic items.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This is only bad news to players who care about looks, as nearly all recipes for mystic coins are for cosmetic items.

This one, yes.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Well yes that is terrible for everyone, considering that looks and cosmetic items are the endgame and main selling point of gw2. (and gw1)

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Bad only for the impatient players with instant gratification needs. Game is meant to last over years not months. If you forsee yourself playing only for a few months until the next game drop then your probably stressing yourself out over irrevelant pixels.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: Apocolyte.8093

Apocolyte.8093

Mystic Coins are also a requirement for basically all of the WvW guild claiming buffs. 780 are needed in total for the Objective Auras like Power, Supply, etc. They must be unlocked linearly and so even though Magic Find, WvW Experience, and Movement Speed are a relatively useless Auras, they have to be unlocked to get the others. Each one needs 100 Mystic Coins.

The +5 Supply Capacity, arguably the most useful Aura, used to be one of the easiest upgrades to unlock under the old system and is now THE LAST upgrade to unlock. So the 780 Mystic Coin number is not avoidable. These buffs are basically mandatory if you want to run an effective WvW guild and, as some of you may know, WvW is not the most profitable game mode, so the Mystic Coins are essentially a time gate on creating a WvW guild. As someone who is currently working on upgrading a WvW-oriented guild, I’m really excited to either shell out a ton of gold on these or to guilt my guild members into donating their Mystic Coins, even though many of them are working on legendaries like Nevermore. Please, kill my enjoyment of my favorite game mode even more Anet.

The main problem with Mystic Coins is that Anet has created a ton of additional sinks for these with HoT (on top of the existing ones), but the only source is still daily logins and the occasional Mystic Forge Daily. Therefore, this creates the perfect opportunity for someone with a lot of gold to come in and buy all of the Mystic Coins on the market and to set whatever price they like and the only options left to the rest of us are:

1) Wait around
2) Farm gold

And both sound like a ton of fun.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Ayrilana.1396

Half tempted to buy up what’s left to prove a point and see if Anet takes action in an upcoming update or at least acknowledges the issue.

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Assuming your math is correct, I think 9 months is more than reasonable for obtaining a legendary.

…this is coming from someone who’s been playing on and off for 3 years, has never gotten a legendary, and will have his first ascended piece outside of laurel purchases in the next couple of weeks….

…when I see people stating they have 3+ legendaries (compared to my 0… I haven’t been actively trying to get one, tbh), I can’t help but wonder if they’re a bit too easy to obtain… they certainly aren’t living up to the name “legendary” when everywhere I go I see someone with sunrise/twilight/eternity.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Discussing Mystic Coins

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Mystic Coins .

That only works if people are willing to buy at that said price, in reality players playing the tp would notice the sudden increase in price and proceed to undercut that player to steal profits. The orginal player would be forced to wait out the sales, buy out those sales or accept the listing loss and undercut them bring price back down.

it may be a 780 coin cost…. but its a shared burden. between 30 players thats just a mere 26 coins a person. Thats very little to no impact on people who will be spending months trying to craft legendarys. If it really is a wvw guild there shouldnt really be any issue in donating to become more effective…it can even be donating over time since it doesn’t have to completed at once.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –