[Suggestion] 9th Profession: Chronomancer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

I’ve always been intrigued by time and its effect on living beings, so it is no surprise to me that I find myself obsessing over a ninth profession now that we might have a potential expansion on the horizon! Yes, yes, I know that development on it is quite far ahead and the chance that anything new will be added to it, to be abysmally petite. But that doesn’t mean that we cannot have fun discussing this hypothetical profession, now can we? The goal of this thread if to discuss a possible Chronomancer, and if it would be a welcomed addition to the game. Feel free to discuss any other profession that you think would fit better than this one!

So I invite all of you to read what I think would be a perfect approach for the ninth profession in Guild Wars 2: the Chronomancer.
(Keep in mind that these are all my suggestions and are made purely for debatable goals.)

https://i.imgur.com/mJ6dQEo.png
(Credit to: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Amantis/Chronomancer)

__________Description__________
The Chronomancer are masters of time. Being a soldier class-profession means it can withstand and deal heavy damage in combat, wearing Heavy armour. The Chronomancer differs from the Warrior and the Guardian by heavily relying on terrain and the environment, using time to aid his movements, attacks and abilities. Their unique mechanic is Time Warping, which can re-do any damage dealt, received and abilities used.

Chronomancers’s main tactic is to manipulate the enemy by their movement. This approach is unique within the game, and could be seen as a form of crowd control. However, the way the Chronomancer approaches it allows for a lot more manoeuvrability and manipulation of this mechanic. No other class in-game has yet allowed us to manipulate terrain or crowd control skills with such accuracy and depth.

Boons and Conditions are heavily manipulated as well by the Chronomancer. It deals most of its damage in conditions primarily, yet offers many boons to itself as well. This in contrast to other professions that primarily offer boons to other players as well. Trait lines can modify this to allow the Chronomancer to be more social when it comes to sharing its boons.

Additionally, Chronomancers have a high health pool similar to the Warrior and Necromancer class, giving them amongst the highest vitality rates. This is done to make up for the lack of direct damage they cannot deal.

I chose to represent the Chronomancer because I think its “feel” hasn’t been seen anywhere else in the game before. Also, it would be a unicum among MMO’s when it comes to professions. The gameplay looks very fun and engaging to me personally, and I’ve always wanted to have a character that heavily manipulates terrain! (An Earth elementalist doesn’t really do it for me!)

__________Weapons__________
The Chronomancer will have access to the following 1-handed weapons:

• Dagger (Main hand)
  • Pistol (Main hand)
  • Sceptre (Main Hand)
  • Focus (Offhand)
  • Torch (Offhand)
  • Warhorn (Offhand)

In addition to these 2-handed weapons:

• Staff
  • Shortbow

With the following underwater:

• Trident
  • Harpoon

__________Boons & Conditions__________
Chronomancers have access to a unique boon and condition,
The boon being Acceleration, which speeds up their movements, attack speed, ability recharges and endurance regeneration.
Their condition being Tardiness, which slows down the movement, attack speed, ability recharges and endurance regeneration speed of foes.

When a character is under the influence of Acceleration, all its animations will appear faster too. Vice versa with Tardiness.

Check this image out for a horrible approach on how the icons could look:
http://i.imgur.com/FpkdrSH.png

__________Skill types__________
The Chronomancer has access to a number of unique skill types. These are:

• Clocks: These devices give a number of different boons to the caster and allies, and form a bubble in which the effect takes place.
  • Cogs: These magical objects have a load of different effects that can vary from encasing an enemy in a temporal blockage to giving the caster a random weapon.
  • Bells: Using the power of bells, ripples are created in the time fabric to create portals throughout the map.
  • Chronoids: Summonable minions that are made purely out of a magical metal and pure energy, they are neither alive nor dead, and thus cannot be siphoned life from. They differ in pets and undead minions in the fact that they mainly place boons on the player and conditions to enemies.

Attachments:

(edited by Derigar.7810)

Derigar.7810

__________Traits__________
The Chronomancer has the following traits:

• Teleportation: increases Power and Condition damage. This trait line focuses on improving Bells, for example extending the time on a portal, or giving a boon when using a portal.
  • Chronic Anomalies: increases Toughness and Healing power. This trait line focuses on improving Clocks. Improving the radius of the affected area, or adding more effects.
  • Regression: increases Precision and Condition duration. This trait line focuses on Cogs. Make them last longer, or let them duplicate their effects in exchange for others.
  • Temporal Rotation: increases Vitality and Boon duration. This trait line focuses on Chronoids. You can improve their life span or damage rate.
  • Temporal manipulation: Ferocity increases and Momentum Recharge. This trait line will add a number of effects when Time Warping is in effect.

__________Unique ability: Time Warping__________
Time Warping will be the unique ability that Chronomancers can use to turn the battle to their hand. Whenever they use a weapon skill, healing skill, utility or elite skill that uses the Accelerate boon or the Tardiness condition, they gain Chronic Energy that fills up their bar. Once filled, they can activate Time Warping.

Time Warping is a one-time ability that will remove all damage you suffered for the last 5 seconds, and apply them to the foe. All conditions received during those 5 seconds will also be removed, and converted into boons. The amount of time needed to fill your Time Warping bar is relatively short.

Another extra that this ability gives is that you will be taken out of Downed state if you activate it just after you enter the state, which can give the Chronomancer many a different times to change their battle plan if they begin to suffer defeat.

The Temporal Manipulation trait can adjust the way you gain Chronic Energy, the duration of Time Warping, change the way your boons and conditions are handled and can even make sure that all the damage you suffered will heal you instead. It is truly an ability worth having.

__________Weapon skills__________
Daggers
Daggers are used to slice open the space-time fabric. Expect many teleportation abilities with such a weapon. An example would be to throw daggers through portals, giving the Dagger a medium ranged function, instead of short range.

Pistols
These weapons are very interesting to a Chronomancer, as bullets can be manipulated to follow a specific track in the space-time fabric. This ensures maximum damage when using these weapons, as all critical area’s will be hit, ensuring for a high percentage in critical hits. They provide long range tactics.

Sceptre
Gyrating sceptres are the favourite tools for any Chronomancer! They amplify the powers of time and offer many conditions to any foe that dares an encounter. They offer a short range tactic.

Focus
The focus amplifies the temporal abilities that a Chronomancer possesses and thus can offer many boons to the caster. They offer a short range tactic.

Torch
Torches are an interesting approach to Chronomancers. The shifting forms of fire inspires them to take on the enemy from shifting directions. A torch can be used to change an opponents orientation, by making them (and the camera for players) turn by a random degree. This will also inflict them with confusion. They provide long range function.

Warhorn
Using the same tactics as Bells, Warhorns can be used to create different portals in the fabric of time and space, albeit being on a more offensive note than daggers. An example would be a large portal that takes all incoming projectiles and warps them to an unknown destination, allowing the caster to escape such projectiles. They provide a medium ranged function.

Trident
Tridents are perfect to channel a Chronomancers Chronic Energy underwater, allowing them to precisely channel their Clocks, Bells and other utensils on just the right spot for maximum effectiveness.

Harpoon
Used to pierce, these weapons are perfect for locking the foe in the space-time fabric, they are perfect to block any movement and ensuring their demise.

Attachments:

(edited by Derigar.7810)

Derigar.7810

__________Examples of healing, utility and elite skills__________
Healing
By using their Chronic Energy as a source, they can create mini-Time Warps that will heal them for a fixed amount and cure them of a fixed amount of conditions.

Utility
Many Bells, Clocks, Cogs and Chronoids will find their place here.

Elite skills
The best Bells, Clocks, Cogs and Chronoid skills will be situated here.

(If you have suggestions for these skills, please do not hesitate!)

__________Extra information__________

• When choosing a Chronomancer in the character creation, you will get the choice of whether you like the past, present or future more.
  • Chronomancy was discovered by the Asura during their experimentation with the large, hibernating “statue” of Primordus.

(edited by Derigar.7810)

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

We really don’t need more professions when they can’t handle balancing the ones they already have.

Also, mesmers already have a time warp.

Derigar.7810

We really don’t need more professions when they can’t handle balancing the ones they already have.

You haven’t even read the entire thread, by looking at your time of posting this reply. I don’t think your post is really justified unless you take the effort to read it…

Edit: To elaborate on your reply…
A mesmer focuses on illusions and phantasms. Also, a mesmer doesn’t fulfil any terrain manipulative options (as in depth) as a Chronomancer would.

It would also be VERY easy to change the name of “Time Warp” on the Elite skill of the mesmer, if that really bugs you.

(edited by Derigar.7810)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Sounds fun. As part of the living world you would have to “justify” them though. How do they fit into the world? Lorewise you would need something to justify their existence, since such a profession hasn’t been encountered or mentioned in the World before.

I tend not to delve into the specific detail of skills/balances etc since I’m reading off a screen and that just addles me with these things, but I like the overall feel your idea presents

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

You haven’t even read the entire thread, by looking at your time of posting this reply. I don’t think your post is really justified unless you take the effort to read it…

I looked over the major points well enough and my post wasn’t a judgement on the quality of the suggestion. We simply don’t need more classes right now and time manipulation is already covered, to a degree, by mesmers. I’d rather see them get more related abilities than make a whole new profession for it.

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

A mesmer focuses on illusions and phantasms. Also, a mesmer doesn’t fulfil any terrain manipulative options (as in depth) as a Chronomancer would.

It would also be VERY easy to change the name of “Time Warp” on the Elite skill of the mesmer, if that really bugs you.

His reply made perfect sence, they allready cannot balance the 8 existing proffesions well enough, why add a 9th and make that job even harder?

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

His reply made perfect sence, they allready cannot balance the 8 existing proffesions well enough, why add a 9th and make that job even harder?

The game was never balanced. GW1 was never balanced. Neither game will ever be balanced. The biggest MMORPS’s of all time were never fully balanced. Its not going to happen.

Using the lack of perfect balance as a lame excuse to never add anything new is exactly that, a lame excuse.

Derigar.7810

Sounds fun. As part of the living world you would have to “justify” them though. How do they fit into the world? Lorewise you would need something to justify their existence, since such a profession hasn’t been encountered or mentioned in the World before.

I tend not to delve into the specific detail of skills/balances etc since I’m reading off a screen and that just addles me with these things, but I like the overall feel your idea presents

Yes, that might pose a problem. But ANet has clarified on mutliple occassions that new races AND professions will be coming to the game at some point.

Check this link to prove my statement!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

I looked over the major points well enough and my post wasn’t a judgement on the quality of the suggestion. We simply don’t need more classes right now and time manipulation is already covered, to a degree, by mesmers. I’d rather see them get more related abilities than make a whole new profession for it.

Well let’s agree to disagree on that point. The key of this thread is to discuss if a Chronomancer would make a valid addition, not whether “we actually need a new profession”. Therefore, I’d appriciate it a lot if you’d remain on the topic of the thread.

Derigar.7810

His reply is not of the essence. What is, however, is that he is adressing a point of discussion that should preferably not be covered on this thread. You’re both welcome to start a thread to go against adding a new profession, in-game however! But please, and I mean this as friendly as I can, don’t avert the discussion to whether we need a new profession or not. I’ve read that topic too many times already.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

The game was never balanced. GW1 was never balanced. Neither game will ever be balanced. The biggest MMORPS’s of all time were never fully balanced. Its not going to happen.

Using the lack of perfect balance as a lame excuse to never add anything new is exactly that, a lame excuse.

So it’s like being hit with a new stick instead of the one your skin already got used to mmm k k . Perfect balance is not possible but a soft one yes and it is reachable if they would balance more frequently and properly. You really trust them to add a new class,weapons or even traits?? +1 to OP for the concept tough.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Randulf.7614

Ah yeah, what I meant was I’d be interested to see how you personally fitted it into the game lorewise. That was a hint that I wanted to see what you could come up to expand your idea further

Derigar.7810

Ah yeah, what I meant was I’d be interested to see how you personally fitted it into the game lorewise. That was a hint that I wanted to see what you could come up to expand your idea further

Oh my… Well I’m not a big lore hound as other players I think, haha! But I will try too…

I think with the release of Mordremoth, the Asura can “unveil” this new art of Magic to the world. They had hidden it from everyone else with fear that it might be used for evil, but at this point in the story, any tactic should be used. The Asura discovered Chronomancy when experimenting with the Primordus statue in their previous home underground.

Does that offer some explenation? Haha!

Randulf.7614

Possibly. I had thoughts of either the discovery of the magical art though the Fractals (since that has elements of time travel and also connects unknown places of the mists)

Or perhaps a lost art found in an ancient scroll in the Priory/OOW, from another continent.

Just vague musings before I collapse into bed

Derigar.7810

Possibly. I had thoughts of either the discovery of the magical art though the Fractals (since that has elements of time travel and also connects unknown places of the mists)

Or perhaps a lost art found in an ancient scroll in the Priory/OOW, from another continent.

Just vague musings before I collapse into bed

That actually makes a lot of sense. The fractals DO incorporate a lot of time travel! But then again, the fractals are governed by the Asura, aren’t they? (I might be wrong here…)

Derigar.7810

Added more information concerning the weapon types.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

So it’s like being hit with a new stick instead of the one your skin already got used to mmm k k . Perfect balance is not possible but a soft one yes and it is reachable if they would balance more frequently and properly. You really trust them to add a new class,weapons or even traits?? +1 to OP for the concept tough.

Yes, I do trust them, because if they don’t start adding new stuff, me and a lot of people are going to say “Wait a minute! I’ve been running around with the exact same longbow and exact same build for three years! What the hell Anet?!? GG, I’m out of here!”

slightly exaggerated, of course, but, me and many people are thinking it. A game can’t stay fresh just by adding new story and an outfit in the gem store every month. It has to actually add something substantial.

Derigar.7810

Yes, I do trust them, because if they don’t start adding new stuff, me and a lot of people are going to say “Wait a minute! I’ve been running around with the exact same longbow and exact same build for three years! What the hell Anet?!? GG, I’m out of here!”

slightly exaggerated, of course, but, me and many people are thinking it. A game can’t stay fresh just by adding new story and an outfit in the gem store every month. It has to actually add something substantial.

I feel you capture the essence of why imbalance creates balance in a game as big as Guild Wars 2.

Without the inconsistencies, everyone would do the same thing, every day. Variety would die and experiencing new builds and set-up’s would stagnate. That’s not what you want in a game. You want to keep it fresh and exciting. A new profession does just that, I feel.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Chronomancer? Chronos would be better to give it a more unique name as opposed to having the -mancer part down.

Anyway, I took a good look at it and I think you could take it one step further by adding skills that buff the character’s (and party) swiftness in addition to movement.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I don’t feel like hunting it down but I do believe that the Chronomancer was an idea for Guild Wars: Utopia. When GW2 was announced the profession was scrapped along with Utopia.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

And this has a place in GW lore… how?

Randulf.7614

I don’t feel like hunting it down but I do believe that the Chronomancer was an idea for Guild Wars: Utopia. When GW2 was announced the profession was scrapped along with Utopia.

Correct

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22F_Chronomancer_Standard%22_concept_art.jpg

Derigar.7810

You are absolutely right. I felt heart broken when Utopia didn’t see a release. So I’m hoping we can see that marvellous Chronomancery now with GW2.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol chronomancy… never seen it done well, probably because games that involve timing have no room for things that manipulate time. Also, people don’t understand time as well as they think they do. It’s not even a thing really, it’s just the apparently random movements of quantum particles causing changes in reality. Think about it: if nothing ever moved, would there be time?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Good idéa!

Since Utopia, Guild Wars 4th cancelled campaign, it would be awesome to see it be released in GW2!
I was always so excited for Utopia back then..

Let’s add Summoners aswell!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

If they wait to balance everything perfectly, we will never get anything.

Balance, while an important goal, isnt as important as making things fun and adding new things to the game.

And, the Chronomancer sounds fun. What are thoughts about this being a sub-class of the Mesmer (if they chose to go the sub-class route)?

Derigar.7810

If they wait to balance everything perfectly, we will never get anything.

Balance, while an important goal, isnt as important as making things fun and adding new things to the game.

And, the Chronomancer sounds fun. What are thoughts about this being a sub-class of the Mesmer (if they chose to go the sub-class route)?

Do you personally feel a Mesmer could go as deep as a Chronomancer concerning terrain control, boon & condition manipulation and temporal gimmicks?

I think if the majority of the community feels a Mesmer could incorporate a Chronomancer profession, that we should do just that! But I just don’t feel it personally. A Mesmer still focuses on illusions and psychic powers, while a Chronomancer works with time, space and the mysterious physics that make the world go round.

Derigar.7810

Lol chronomancy… never seen it done well, probably because games that involve timing have no room for things that manipulate time. Also, people don’t understand time as well as they think they do. It’s not even a thing really, it’s just the apparently random movements of quantum particles causing changes in reality. Think about it: if nothing ever moved, would there be time?

Oh my god, I LOVE these types of discussions!

I feel that time is an illusionary concept created by the human brain to explain why things “happen”. The movement of atoms through space is, in fact, time. But time cannot exist without space either. You need a space to “move” in in order to traverse through time…

It’s a complex topic, but one that I can talk about passionately nonetheless!

Derigar.7810

And this has a place in GW lore… how?

I understand from this post that this question can be placed on any profession to be introduced in the future.

So, to ask the question back to you. Would you rather see no profession in GW2 ever, at all?

I feel that I’ve given a good explanation in how this profession could make an intro to the game!

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

i can see the chronomancer being a class that evolved from mesmers of old experimenting with time magics (chronos) and becoming proficient at it.

from a lore standpoint, you could have a group of asura mesmers that fled Primordus but never journeyed to Rata Sum with the rest of them. There they spent years (its been 200 years in game since Primordus woke) discovering/perfecting time magic. They could even have a city/village/hidden hole in the wall somewhere. One day a young asura, who had trained in the time arts, could have left the village to perfect her skills. This “chronomancer” ended up in Rata Sum, but was shunned for such odd use of magic. Before leaving, she had a daughter who she named Dessa. She then died or was run out of town or something leaving Dessa behind. The elders of Rata Sum ban all discussion of Chronomancy in hopes that Dessa doesnt persue them (they guide her into the Mesmer proffesion). They fail. Dessa leaves and creates the fractals. They decide not to mention Chronomancy and time magic ever again.

Random lore thoughts to answer the “how does this fit into lore?” question

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Avacado.9614

Avacado.9614

Oh my… Well I’m not a big lore hound as other players I think, haha! But I will try too…

I think with the release of Mordremoth, the Asura can “unveil” this new art of Magic to the world. They had hidden it from everyone else with fear that it might be used for evil, but at this point in the story, any tactic should be used. The Asura discovered Chronomancy when experimenting with the Primordus statue in their previous home underground.

Does that offer some explenation? Haha!

How about instead of making it about asura we make it about charr! Rytlock has not been shown since diving into the mist portal. What may seem like a few days could be many months or years to him. He is intent on finding a way to release the curse. During his quest he almost dies and with the help of spirits is imbued with with the knowledge of Chronomancy while on the fringes of death. He comes back to Tyria with this new powers and has the knowledge and the means to start training more chronomancers to take on Mordy. He might even be able to use his powers to save DE after they suffer a fiery doom by turning back the clock. A bit much but, hey, it could work!

Posted by: Avacado.9614

Avacado.9614

I like the idea of a Chronomancer profession. So it’s +1.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Will only vote for it if Heavy armor.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Ritualist, Chronomancer, Dervish and Paragon. Any of those as new professions and I would be a very happy boy.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Derigar.7810

i can see the chronomancer being a class that evolved from mesmers of old experimenting with time magics (chronos) and becoming proficient at it.

from a lore standpoint, you could have a group of asura mesmers that fled Primordus but never journeyed to Rata Sum with the rest of them. There they spent years (its been 200 years in game since Primordus woke) discovering/perfecting time magic. They could even have a city/village/hidden hole in the wall somewhere. One day a young asura, who had trained in the time arts, could have left the village to perfect her skills. This “chronomancer” ended up in Rata Sum, but was shunned for such odd use of magic. Before leaving, she had a daughter who she named Dessa. She then died or was run out of town or something leaving Dessa behind. The elders of Rata Sum ban all discussion of Chronomancy in hopes that Dessa doesnt persue them (they guide her into the Mesmer proffesion). They fail. Dessa leaves and creates the fractals. They decide not to mention Chronomancy and time magic ever again.

Random lore thoughts to answer the “how does this fit into lore?” question

I love that story a lot! I hope ANet could take it on board for a possible future expansion (if HoT doesn’t give us the Chronomancer, that is…)

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

I wanted the chronomancer since Utopia was cancelled. I WANT IT!

(edited by darkprecure.6129)

Derigar.7810

I wanted the chronomancer since Utopia was cancelled. I WANT IT!

You understand my sufferance, brother!

Posted by: Quartz.3462

Quartz.3462

I don’t see how the better and more fun bits of this can’t be incorporated into mesmer. I also don’t like the thought of new classes since it will just complicate balance problems more. I’d rather have development time spent on balancing existing skills to make them useful (list most utilities).

Derigar.7810

I don’t see how the better and more fun bits of this can’t be incorporated into mesmer. I also don’t like the thought of new classes since it will just complicate balance problems more. I’d rather have development time spent on balancing existing skills to make them useful (list most utilities).

It’s completely fine to wish that. But me, and a lot of other players, want to see a new class after playing this game for almost 2 years now.

Expansions keep the game fresh. Regardless of “balancing issues”, as those will ALWAYS exist. Might as well stop adding anything new.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

For once I actually want to a see a handful of skill examples in order to give some indication of how the concept could work in practice. Kudos for giving a thorough explanation of the higher-level concepts rather than doing what a lot of people do and giving a massive list of skills leaving the reader to try to figure out the intended playstyle by reading between the lines, though.

My suspicion is that what was going to be put into the chronomancer has probably been fitted into the mesmer instead, although there might be room to have that sort of stuff without a playstyle that’s based on summons.

Playstyle-wise… it’s feeling like it may be a bit of mesmer, a bit of thief, and a bit of… hrrrmn. Dropping area effects that grant boons to allies is largely a guardian thing. Summons that condition enemies and boon allies are somewhat mesmer, somewhat engineer, although the “chronoids” might be distinct from both in their behaviour. Still, it’s generally smelling like a mesmer/thief/guardian mix, although it may have enough of its own thing to be its own thing with flavours of those three.

It’d be even easier to change the name of the effect on the chronomancer – “Time Shift”, for instance.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

First off, congratulations on putting in all this work. It’s also brave to throw your labour of love to the forumwolves like this. I do have some criticism, but I hope you’ll take it constuctively.

A few points:

Acceleration and Tardiness seem to have an overlap with quickness and chill respectively. while being way more powerful.

Time warping seems incredibly powerful in group settings, with a long duration. In a WvW zerg setting this can easily be 30k or more, if the Chronomaster has the vit/tough to survive it. Also, who does the damage get applied to with multiple attackers?

The time manipulation thing seens to be covered by the mesmer already, with powers like portal and timewarp.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Derigar.7810

First off, congratulations on putting in all this work. It’s also brave to throw your labour of love to the forumwolves like this. I do have some criticism, but I hope you’ll take it constuctively.

A few points:

Acceleration and Tardiness seem to have an overlap with quickness and chill respectively. while being way more powerful.

Time warping seems incredibly powerful in group settings, with a long duration. In a WvW zerg setting this can easily be 30k or more, if the Chronomaster has the vit/tough to survive it. Also, who does the damage get applied to with multiple attackers?

The time manipulation thing seens to be covered by the mesmer already, with powers like portal and timewarp.

I appreciate the feedback!

Yes, Acceleration and Tardiness do seem quite powerful, but I wanted to give them a unique gameplay mechanic when it came down to boons and conditions (since they specialize in distributing both). The speed at which you accelerate or slow down is less than that of Chill or Quickness, so I feel that balances out. The big problem here is that it affects a lot of small things in a small way, which pile up if you have the condition or boon for more than a couple of seconds.

I feel that Time Warping, when reflecting damage, could distribute the suffered damage among the ones that did damage during the Time Warping time.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Mesmers would be better suited for much of what the Chronomancer was designed to do, IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I’d enjoy new professions if/when they come…. but I think they already took much of their initial Chronomancer concept and applied it.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

The boon being Acceleration, which speeds up their movements, attack speed, ability recharges and endurance regeneration.
Their condition being Tardiness, which slows down the movement, attack speed, ability recharges and endurance regeneration speed of foes.

When a character is under the influence of Acceleration, all its animations will appear faster too. Vice versa with Tardiness.

I see what you did there. Merge stuff already in the game and call it new.
1. Acceleration you speak of = swiftness, quickness, vigor.
2. Tardiness you speak of = cripple, chill, weakness.
Not new.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Derigar.7810

Not new.

I invite you whole heartily to create a new boon and condition that is completely and utterly new. Also relate it to the Chronomancer, if you’re that good!

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

you put so much effort in something that ll fall in the deep of the forums

Derigar.7810

you put so much effort in something that ll fall in the deep of the forums

I didn’t really put that much effort in it. I had to do something whilst grinding my Fletching skill on RuneScape

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

It sounds horrible. Like some hack fiction in the young adult section of the book store.

The phrase “masters of time” literally made me cringe.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Not new.

I invite you whole heartily to create a new boon and condition that is completely and utterly new. Also relate it to the Chronomancer, if you’re that good!

It’s a valid point, though. You could easily get the effect by putting on a few of the existing boons rather than creating new ones.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.