Discussion about the DR system - Merged thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

All it takes is one peek at the mystic forge recipes to know this game is basically putting a big giant carrot in front of your face… which was very much optional before Nov. 15 for anyone that wanted to maintain max stats. Unfortunately, they moved the goal posts for everyone but nerfed the means to get there for casual players.

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

I play alot and I have never once experienced diminishing return.

Play the game as it was obviously intended. Dont stand in one area (or even stay in the same zone) repeating the same small number of events over and over for hours. That isnt heroic and it isnt fun. Branch out, tackle new events you havent been to in a few days, switch between farming mobs and tackling dynamic events – there is plenty to do to keep DRs from kicking in.

One of my favorite things to do is start at one end of a zone and work my way through it. In most zones, you make a fair amount of coin and karma doing this – and it is fun.

People keep looking for an easy/simple way to acquire mats for their legendaries. The thing is, if it were easy or simple, then they wouldnt be legendary.

Stop looking for shortcuts and play the game.

What’s fun for you, isn’t necessarily fun for other people.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Posted by: Ath.2531

Ath.2531

I play alot and I have never once experienced diminishing return.

Play the game as it was obviously intended. Dont stand in one area (or even stay in the same zone) repeating the same small number of events over and over for hours. That isnt heroic and it isnt fun. Branch out, tackle new events you havent been to in a few days, switch between farming mobs and tackling dynamic events – there is plenty to do to keep DRs from kicking in.

One of my favorite things to do is start at one end of a zone and work my way through it. In most zones, you make a fair amount of coin and karma doing this – and it is fun.

People keep looking for an easy/simple way to acquire mats for their legendaries. The thing is, if it were easy or simple, then they wouldnt be legendary.

Stop looking for shortcuts and play the game.

In your own definition you are telling us to follow your approach of how the game should be played. So sorry, but you are doing nothing different than what you are trying to tell us to avoid. There is no “one way” the game is meant to be played. That is the essence of the meaning of the word “grind”.

Going for a legendary is surely not easy but by your approach it would take around a year to get it, dedicating the exact amount of hourly play that a hardcore player would put in to get that legendary in 3 months .

“Stop looking for shortcuts and play the game”

Do you mean: “Stop trying to be more effective in what you do than the majority of people”?
I know a bunch of people with this mindset. It is the mindset of the casual player. Looking for shortcuts is not for everyone but for people who like to be practical during their game-time. That in its essence is a form of enjoyment; the true meaning of Hard-Core: All members of a person/guild tightly bound Together for maximum efficiency, organized to succeed with minimum cost

What many casual players don’t understand is the sheer enjoyment in all things practical even during game time.

I do appreciate your ideas but they fall short of anything insightful.

Commander Athrael ThunderBorn
GM of Crew of Misfits (CoM)
Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

while in reality they are just time sinks keeping them hostage.

LOL with the DR in this game they have artificially added a much larger time sink then in any other game.

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

In consideration of game data they are acquiring (presented in here http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180776/Video_Guild_Wars_2s_programming_tricks_revealed.php#.UNC94baoqiY ), I’ve got an idea to get teleporting bots, data regarding wood, plants, and ore, if that data was singled out (probably already being done, but i’ll mention it anyways).

1) time stamps. associated with item added to inventory or node interaction?
2) player gets material (time stamped mine, farm, or cut), player gets 2nd material (time stamped), 3rd, 4th, etc.
3) if player time stamps per cut (wood), mine (ore), or farm (plant) are seconds apart (or faster) they are put into a list of suspected bots.
4) cross referencing in-game distance between the wood, plan, and ore… is the time stamps revealing that travel between those locations to be impossible without a teleporting bot?

/shrug. Seems a code might be possible to single out bots, and then DR can be greatly altered if not removed for regular folk to more thoroughly enjoy the game.

PS: seen a cluster of 6 Rangers in the same spot for days on Dragonbrand. (malchor’s leap, west of King’s Passage point of interest, in the lower elevation; near the map portal that goes to Cursed Shore) very suspicious. Frankly, i think they are bots. Shirley, their data can be used to help identify other bots…. although…. that video linked above, Anet used bots during testing. Soooo, they know a lot about them already. 0o maybe, account information can lead to other bot accounts? /shrug

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

I wouldnt have any issue with the DR either.. IF it was working as intended for everyone, which it clearly isnt.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Farming is the only way i can really make money, maniplulating the trading post market doesnt really work for me, dungeons and world boss chests, 99% just give junk, and the 50 bucks a week in gem cards is getting old(i can afford it so why not), why penalize people like me who farm for a few hours each night trying to make some legit money, also crafting is worthless atm…… So exactly how are we supposed to make money? or are we supposed to just buy gem cards?

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Anet specifically said you need to move around to avoid DR issues and they encourage farmers.

If you stay @ one spot then DR will affect you.

To a degree I farm, but I keep on the move. I have yet to have a DR problem.

If you are. You are staying in the same spot or botting and deserve to have issies.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Posted by: Addice.3852

Addice.3852

So instead I get to have the people who started the first month paraded in front of me with their legendaries and 4 figure in-game gold, which they got naturally with no grind, while in the name of “no grind”, ANet eliminates all hope of me ever attaining a legendary in the life of the game by saddling me with bugged DR?

I’m not buying it.

Please, go start a lecture series on the benefits to society of offshoring.

You are forgetting that some of those early precursors were from people exploiting the godskull weapons in the forge. So there is a decent amount of the early legendaries not from natural progression but through exploitative means. Some of those who also have high gold amounts exploited the godskulls to get there as well. Unlike those that were initially banned from the game for the karma exploit (later changed to 72 hrs) those that did the precursor exploit did not get in trouble and did not have their items and gold deleted.

So now we have a market that is being controlled by those that can just buy out and re-list a limited commodity. The step to have bosses drop coin in dungeons did alleviate the stress of making gold but there needs to be other ways. DR only compounds to the over inflated market. It also punishes people who want to farm so that they can get the items they need. If people want to spend hours trying to grind then they should have the option to as long as they are not botting.

Posted by: cNcHellShadow.7691

cNcHellShadow.7691

Anet specifically said you need to move around to avoid DR issues and they encourage farmers.

If you stay @the one spot then DR will affect you.

If you are you are staying in the same spot or botting and deserve to have issies

Agreed, I tend to hit Orr for about 40 minutes a day, and I usually take in a rare or two. But I really only do it for the karma, so…loot isn’t a big issue with me.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

DR is fine, it is the loot drop regularity (or lack thereof) prior to DR kicking in that is the issue.

Posted by: Kelaziel.8264

Kelaziel.8264

I honestly, as a new player, was really disappointed to find out about the DR on “farming.” Until I came to the forums, which I normally try to avoid I had never known about this. Now I am an “Old School” mmorpg player who (granted is probably in the minority nowadays) actually enjoys grinding. I am disabled and so I can literally play for up to 12 hours a day if I have nothing else on the agenda. And I find it’s relaxing to put on some music and just zone out killing mobs for a few hours. I understand the need to combat botting, and I appreciate the efforts people take in order to stop them, but why as a player am I to be punished for doing what I enjoy?

Personally I do not care much for dungeons as the set up time seems like alot of time wasted to me before I get to proceed with the run. The events are fun, and I enjoy doing them as I farm along my merry way, but I don’t want to have to search them out if i am in an area I find visually appealing and wish to stay in.

As a new player who doesn’t do fractals or anything else, how am I expected to progress my character if I am unable to acquire drops to sell? You say I can just “keep moving to different areas” but what if I enjoy one zone more than the others, why should I be forced to go somewhere I don’t enjoy just to ensure that I won’t hit DR?

Again I applaud the efforts made to combat botting, but why am I forced to halt all my progression because of them? Instead of messing up the games economy they mess up player enjoyment. It is kind of a lose/lose and I really hope they can find another way to combat them while leaving people to do what they enjoy.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Considering that the loot tables are so screwed up, yes DR seems like overkill.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Just because you are lucky with your loot or experience a working DR, that doesn’t mean other players do experience the same.
There is a large discussion about the issue with decreased loot/ drop rates and a buggy DR for heaps of players.

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

I don’t mind moving around to new zones to farm but I wish I had more of a selection.

Removing DR would be a great benefit to those who farm hard and have horrible RNG luck. They won’t remove DR though. Removing it would cause people to start buying less gems to convert into gold and that is just a bad business idea.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Yeah DR is so awesome!

It makes the grind endless and we all love grind, especially in a game marketed as grind free! Remember ANet don’t make grindy games.

/sarcasm

Ath.2531

DR is fine, it is the loot drop regularity (or lack thereof) prior to DR kicking in that is the issue.

DR is not fine. It never was and never should be. I would rather have an overall loot drop rate decrease across the board instead of a gimmick jumping in my face at unpredictable times and with unpredictably bad outcomes.

Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Hexhead.5743

Hexhead.5743

And how do you make a MMO that is not focused on grind?

You make grind unrewarding so it’s not worth doing.

That sir, is like making sure no one gets food poisoning by throwing away all the food.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Interdasting… If I were still playing, DR strangely wouldn’t be something I would’ve complains about. Huh, that goes to show you how differently players value certain aspects of the game.

Posted by: Aelaren.3784

Aelaren.3784

Doesnt work that way, at least for some of us. I can change location, type of activity and even alts I use, every 30 minutes, and still have crap drops. It`s been happening for a month now. DR just never stops for my entire account, whatever I do and wherever I do it.

Flynch.6034

DR is not fine. It never was and never should be. I would rather have an overall loot drop rate decrease across the board instead of a gimmick jumping in my face at unpredictable times and with unpredictably bad outcomes.

I have zero issues with it as it is not my playstyle to stay in one place and spam mobs for drops. I have nothing against other players doing it – but they will have to face the DR as a deterrent.

It is not a gimmick – it is an effective way to stop bloating from previously insane botting. Hopefully when the bot situation is well in-hand they can lower the DR criteria, but as of now, it is fine and really doesn’t affect me in any way whatsoever.

Notice that i’m not saying ‘us’, but ‘me’ instead. Something the forum needs to also start adopting imo.

Ath.2531

I have zero issues with it as it is not my playstyle to stay in one place and spam mobs for drops. I have nothing against other players doing it – but they will have to face the DR as a deterrent.

It is not a gimmick – it is an effective way to stop bloating from previously insane botting. Hopefully when the bot situation is well in-hand they can lower the DR criteria, but as of now, it is fine and really doesn’t affect me in any way whatsoever.

Notice that i’m not saying ‘us’, but ‘me’ instead. Something the forum needs to also start adopting imo.

Even though im almost serious this is trolling at its finest, let me repeat your words in fewer words: “DR does not affect me. Also, i don’t farm so i don’t mind farming being nerfed”

What should the forum start adopting? the “ME” rule?

Please, whatever it is you were doing, go do that instead of being in the forums passing around this silliness.

Piken Square, EU

Flynch.6034

Even though im almost serious this is trolling at its finest, let me repeat your words in fewer words: “Botting does not affect me. Also, i don’t farm so i don’t mind farming being nerfed”

What should the forum start adopting? the “ME” rule?

Please, whatever it is you were doing, go do that instead of being in the forums passing around this silliness.

I’m not sure what you felt was ‘trolling’ about my post – I was stating my own opinion that I feel no need to farm, I have no desire to farm and as such I have no issue with DR.

If I am in isolation then so be it. If I am not in isolation, then my opinion is equally as valid. But I would never presume to think my opinion was shared by a majority or even a minority.

That said, I should have foreseen the obvious attempt to defame a post that agrees with DR.

I’m done with this forum.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

If you are you are staying in the same spot or botting and deserve to have issies

Actually that doesn’t work for everyone. Anet also suspects there’s something not working right with DR so while it turns off for you it stays on for about 40-45% of the population and this bug is growing so they are trying to adjust when it starts DRing you while they are searching for the cause of why it stays on for people.

Also it seems to stay on across multiple characters of an account which supports their claim they did this for bots but it still doesn’t help the community that it’s there at all. The prices in the TP are out of this world stupid right now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

Well either they need to get dr under control or add multiple ways to farm specific materials. I’m farming charged lodestones for my legendary, and when there are ONLY 3 places to farm for them from direct drops, and they all require an event to unlock them, it get really old. It be nice to have multiple places to farm for them.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Farming is the only way i can really make money, maniplulating the trading post market doesnt really work for me, dungeons and world boss chests, 99% just give junk, and the 50 bucks a week in gem cards is getting old(i can afford it so why not), why penalize people like me who farm for a few hours each night trying to make some legit money, also crafting is worthless atm…… So exactly how are we supposed to make money? or are we supposed to just buy gem cards?

200 a month, and you want to farm ? what are you spending those gems on then ?

Converting them to gold ? why do you need so much gold then ? 200 a month in Gems to Gold plus the demand for more farming for gold seems like you might need to manage your in game cash better, are you just mail golds to random people ?
If so what server are you on ?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

DR, conceptually, is just wrong. It’s one of those ideas that are fine for brainstorming but should never make it out of the reality-testing phase.

The only marginally reasonable justification to implement it is to combat bots. But, you never make your game unrewarding for players because there are bots. There are ways to combat bots and they are implementing them. D3 tried this by removing gold from destructibles and weapons from weapon racks. They left the empty destructibles in the game, so you could bash them and increase your repair bill, but nothing came out. Who could not have foreseen the outcry? These are signature elements of Diablo. Needless to say they reverted the policy. The point is they should have had the good sense to not have implemented it in the first place. The rule is you don’t penalize players because there are bots in the game. The game is played precisely to be rewarded.

I’ve heard some people justify it by saying that they want you to move around and see the world. No, thank you, I’d prefer to play the game the way I want to play the game. Micromanaging people’s playstyle may sound good to some, but it goes against everything I play a game for.

The focus for Anet right now should be on how to make the game more rewarding not less.

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

I would be happy if there were a consumable one hour anti-DR token or %1000 MF dragon pies in the gem store. I’d open my wallet to get back the drop rate we saw prenerf please.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

the 50 bucks a week in gem cards is getting old

I can imagine that it would!

What on earth do you find to spend all those gems on? There’s not that much in the store!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

What on earth do you find to spend all those gems on? There’s not that much in the store!

It’s probably not items in the store. I imagine it’s mostly buying gems and converting them to gold. When a set of armor (cultural T3) costs ~120 gold and weapons go for 3-2000 (Twilight) gold, dyes (abyss) occasionally get to 20 gold. At the dollar to gem rate, $200 really doesn’t go far in the game if you want great stuff, especially if you have alts.

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

Honestly there is 1 solution to every single issue that they used for guild wars 1 but they seem to think it’s a bad idea to learn from the past…… Add collectors to the world and rare material makers in different sections of the world….

In guild wars 1 you could get trash drops and there was a collector who wanted say 5 raptor claws for a vial of powerful blood…. The claws would be on a reasonable drop rate from the mobs that drop the material you’re going for but have bad luck…. They already have plenty of items they could use for this…. Look at the icy stones from the icebrood in frostgorge…. You get around 100-200ish a hour and all it’s used for is merchant food… Why not add a npc that wants 25-30 for 1 corrupted lodestone or 5-10 for ancient bones/vicious claws….. I mean there’s already the ground work in place why don’t we use it ?

Learn from your flagship game a.net seriously you need to….

Posted by: Nemisis.4690

Nemisis.4690

agreed, DR should be deleted and castrated!
/signed

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

I just posted some ideas after going back and playing gw1 and stating the collector/rare material trader comment….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Collectors-and-Rare-material-crafters/first#post1037361

+1 for anyone who agrees if you would the more attention it gets the higher the chance they’ll actually consider it. I mean they had DR in gw1 but because of these systems it wasn’t as bad as it is in gw2 where we don’t have these systems.

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

I feel like the loot tables have been messed up since beta, before DR was even a “thing”.
I remember fighting the giant swamp mob in Queensdale ( I cant remember his name ) and after fighting him a giant chest drops. I thought “Oh awesome! I bet imma get something good!” I ran over, clicked on the chest and I got absolutely nothing worth anything to me. I remember feeling kinda disappointed.

It felt like this: “Hey fight this major boss, get gold participation, and for your effort here is a treasure box full of coal” I was happy about the xp and karma but it was sort of a bummer.

Or a veteran mob could be guarding a chest and in return for beating him you get a white item and inside the chest is a torch or another white item or more coal.

As far as I can tell the loot system is still a mess. They are trying to improve it, but I feel like the risk vs. reward is lacking.

Anyway I still love the game and I am having fun, this is just one thing that really needs to be fixed at some point.

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

I wanted to add that the loot drops do not have to be gear, they could be dyes, or mini pets and even town clothes. Something.
Last night my wife and I were playing and she was getting dye drop after dye drop. I got a lot of x-mas presents and cow skull bones. hmmmm

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The concept of DR may be good but it’s implementation is bad – basically due to the wacky tobackiness of TP and RNG.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

He means gem – gold conversion.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

This might come as a surprise to many people, but ANet has to cover the costs of running the servers and developing content for the game somehow. Yeah, the idea is that you’re going to use the cash shop.

But I think a lot of people confuse farming with a grind. Farming is the heart of MMORPGs, whether you’re farming mats for that weapon, getting XP to level, or anything else, the whole point and motivation to log on is that you have something to work towards, you have a goal. I don’t think you’d have too much fun if hitting level 80 only meant it’s time to make an alt and do it all over again.

The grind has different definitions depending on the person doing it, most commonly anything you have to do that you don’t want to.

Now limiting farming, the issue with that is that you can convert gold to gems. The more effective farming is, the less your credit card is needed. Remember, the whole point of GW2 to ANet is to generate an income. Since it’s F2P, that steady income needs to come from somewhere, so they look to the cash shop and limiting your ability to farm.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

This might come as a surprise to many people, but ANet has to cover the costs of running the servers and developing content for the game somehow. Yeah, the idea is that you’re going to use the cash shop.

But I think a lot of people confuse farming with a grind. Farming is the heart of MMORPGs, whether you’re farming mats for that weapon, getting XP to level, or anything else, the whole point and motivation to log on is that you have something to work towards, you have a goal. I don’t think you’d have too much fun if hitting level 80 only meant it’s time to make an alt and do it all over again.

The grind has different definitions depending on the person doing it, most commonly anything you have to do that you don’t want to.

Now limiting farming, the issue with that is that you can convert gold to gems. The more effective farming is, the less your credit card is needed. Remember, the whole point of GW2 to ANet is to generate an income. Since it’s F2P, that steady income needs to come from somewhere, so they look to the cash shop and limiting your ability to farm.

Yes I agree with the whole concept of making money to keep it (game) alive, however there seems to be a big shift towards making more money than making the game enjoyable. You need balance, but at the moment, it feels like its more about the money. Sooner or later major corporation/firms/groups tend to put too much focus on and strive to achieve this (money) when they smell fresh meat – and I ain’t fresh meat, I can tell you that.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

Uh huh, and that way of thinking is why so many MMORPGs boom at the start, then quickly die out and just become another game on the list of games people quit.

But that’s the downside to the F2P model that most people don’t realize. Even though you’re not paying a subscription, they’re still going to find a way to get that same money from you. All they’re doing is marketing the cost in a different way.

Sadly, the only way I see this game truly lasting is for them to make a decision on one approach to the game and stick with it. Why try to reinvent the wheel, when you can improve on what’s already successful? The giants didn’t get where they are because they tried something new, they got there by taking what already worked, and addressing the complaints people had for the last 5 years that weren’t being touched at all.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The DR/drop nerfs are actually a very bad thing.

You get less for the time invested and actually have to grind more to survive in an economy where so many people got rich before all the new restrictions came about.

This, this is the practicality of the situation that anet won’t acknowledge.

Plus there’s also the fact of drops being low enough that levelling crafting in the normal course of playing the game is impossible, forcing players onto the TP for mats. This does not lead to happy players.

The whole thing is incredibly misconceived.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I used to hate zombies (“Death…good”) a big deal, and found the areas such a chore; with experience came “wisdom,” as well as the following conclusions:

-Orr is way more fun with two or more players-even random, non friend/guildie players.

-Orr is fun for me now, and I go there daily not only for the mats, but for the added challenge. While it’s one of the ugliest, most non-inspiring areas of the game (compare with the beautiful Frostgorge Sound), I do not find it anymore a chore to go there, and relish the opportunity daily; a PvE build playground, so to speak. Orr is fun now, even though the loot is mediocre to bad at times (the battle to take down Grenth’s Priest does yield TONS of good money/loot, besides being a fun challenge!)

In short, I disagree with some above that believe that Orr is an unrewarding borefest-it rewards me in fun gameplay, added challenge, the opportunity to join up with strangers (because many people actually don’t like to do Orr solo anyway), and the Temple events/frequent DE chains. Best loot IME has been Fractals, but I haven’t done them much, simply because… I don’t really love them at all, and the idea of grinding them over and over isn’t my cup of tea. Orr, much worse loot, way more fun to me (we are entitled to be different, after all.)

In short, our perceptions, and even our own experiences-as I am sure many others will HATE Orr for the similar reasons I like it-aren’t necessarily everybody’s reality. Some people will play Orr just because.

I also dislike DR, BTW, despite my comments above. Having said that, I don’t experience it (or I believe I do not) while doing Grenth’s Temple chain of events for some reason. I remember being hit hard by DR a long time ago, when doing the Arah Gate DE chain of events.

DR does not make sense to me, especially in what concerns the rarest mats-if they are SO rare to begin with, one never knows when DR kicked in (I wished we had a way of KNOWING we have been DR’ed, rather than guessing because we’ve gotten nothing/a few whites/blues/porous bones/etc.)

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yes I agree with the whole concept of making money to keep it (game) alive, however there seems to be a big shift towards making more money than making the game enjoyable. You need balance, but at the moment, it feels like its more about the money. Sooner or later major corporation/firms/groups tend to put too much focus on and strive to achieve this (money) when they smell fresh meat – and I ain’t fresh meat, I can tell you that.

Yep and IMHO anet has passed that point, it looks like they are trying to force players onto the TP and paying for gold as a result.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I love grind, I used to do Baal runs all night long. The difference with ‘that’ game is the loot was cool. There is no cool loot in this game.

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

Reading through this thread I had a bit of a brain fart, and thought I’d share.

Given the type of new dungeons we’ve been seeing lately it could be an idea if the Consortium expanded their enterprise to include instances where individual players (or groups) can fight selected mobs indefinitely for their ultra rare rewards.

So for example – I entre an area, interact with some Asuran tech, choose what type of mob I’d like to face, eg Air Elementals, for a chance at charged cores and lodestones.

We then force the development team (at gun point if necessarie) to play this instance until they have 100 lodestones or 200 cores each, and then ask them what they think of their “DR”/loot table…

“After a tense 6 month stand off with hostage takers police finaly rescued the beloved Arenanet team. When asked for a comment, a high level programer just had this to say…”

“Legendaries aren’t legendary enough…”

“…Back to you at the studio..”

I’m compleatly serious about the first line of this post.

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

DR is in place so that players don’t find ( or do) shortcuts to stacks of materials by spamming mobs over and over. If DR wasn’t there people would simply pick one spot and exploit it to death to get loads of materials and screwing over the entire game economy.

Removing the DR would mean that all those locations that have a better chance of dropping type X would get so “popular” than you soon would have type X flooding the market basically disabling the intended design for that content.

In result, the most effective way of getting lodestones is a mixture of content in order to avoid the DR.

Not only I find this a healthy change from the mindless grind/zerg mob tactics most MMO’s have, I find it more interesting that you must go looking for different kind of methods to get your loot you want.
Numerous posts in this topic worry me. People say they want to grind one mob over and over (because they think this is the only way) And even going far as suggesting making specific content so that you can grind one mobtype (although Im questioning how serious those suggestions are).

I however do see way too much RNG for certain material types though and it’s upto your luck whether you actually get any loot on a day to some to loads of loot.

RNG enforces grind. It makes people wanna kill something over and over to see if they get that items THIS time they kill a mob. It’s like an endles lottery of hopefully getting the grand prize (insert lodestone).

I wish they put in something that would guide players a bit so they get the loot they want. Like a sort of a mini scavenger hunt that gives you your daily/weekly progression towards a legendary (and make it account bound)

Like making the mystic clover recipe something where you can pick for a chance of mystic clovers, or a less amount of guaranteed pick your own crafting material. (The question to make it account bound if needed though it might complicate it (it could level prices of lodestones). Considering it takes obsidian shards (any content), mystic coins (any content), ectos (almost any content), and skill points (any content). I don’t see why this isn’t a viable way to go. Arenanet really has something really nice there and is left untouched too much coz.. RNG.. again.. seriously Anet.

Using the current mystic clover recipe it would take you 4 years to get all the materials only through the mystic clover recipe. (which is of course not counting drops and money you would already get, through normal play)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Uh huh, and that way of thinking is why so many MMORPGs boom at the start, then quickly die out and just become another game on the list of games people quit.

But that’s the downside to the F2P model that most people don’t realize. Even though you’re not paying a subscription, they’re still going to find a way to get that same money from you. All they’re doing is marketing the cost in a different way.

Agreed, but I think plenty of people get what’s going on. I prefer subs, because you have a chance at more transparency and less ulterior motive/mysterious ways. FtS… Free to sub, everyone can try it out (HUGE) for free to see if they like, then pay a sub from there. If you like it $15 a month is cheap gaming.

This whole thing where many complain about having to desub and resub, is that what we call hard work these days?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

DR is linked to MF as well. I think MF should be removed from the game to begin with.

See, if MF increases the chance of finding higher quality and also increases the rate with which you hit DR (and this is what it seems to do), then it also means that if you have a higher chance, there still is the possibility that you get crappy drops (blues and greens) and still hit DR more quickly.

Then there is the general nerf on loot drops, which means decreasing the chance of good items dropping and you have a third issue.

So loot percentage is down, DR is strict and the loot percentage modifier MF increases the speed with which you hit DR.

I wonder how Anet can see this as a good idea. It just sounds like a bad combination of factors altogether. Why? Because in the end it means that you have people without MF who hardly get any rare or exotic drops and people with high MF who only get a few no matter how much effort either group of players puts in.

Then Anet says, well and for the good stuff you need 250 ectos. Good luck.

Bottom line is that if you follow this you need to do a little grind each day for 6 months. That’s too long for most people.

Solution: Go to Fractals and make cash so you can buy them off the TP or get gems to trade for gold to do the same.

Why is this game so focused around the TP? Trade is important yes, but it shouldn’t be the key element in a fantasy game.

It’s not called Economic Wars 2, right?

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

So true.
As I said before, I want to play Guild Wars 2, not Wall Street.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Honestly, I originally thought the way this game was going F2P was the cash shop of boosters and little add-on things + paying for future content (DLC if you will). I’m not sure if I’d pay for like Halloween and Wintersday even if they were really low price. If Lost Shore was larger, like an actual viable zone filled with DE’s, karma vendors for LS-specific recipes and a story/explore dungeon for cool karka-inspired skins, I might pay $5-$10 for it. If the idea (for Anet) is to earn revenue, I’d rather just pay upfront (via a sub or content packages) and play however I want to than feel nickle n’ dimed as I play. I think that was the biggest turnoff for me in D3…. the way the game mechanics were setup so that you kept getting nudged to use the AH (and ultimately the RMAH); D2 had a black market, but you could beat the game without having all pro-gear and not all gear necessarily came from highest difficulty or act. Yeah, GW2 isn’t a gear game where you need pro gear, but the point is if I want to run 100 meph runs all day, that was my choice… wanting to farm at something for hours should be my choice, but I’ve been deprived of that decision cause big brother says “no grind for you bro”.

(edited by Bruno Sardine.2907)