Divinity Rune vs Celestial

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

So they are introducing Celestial armor in tomorrow’s patch. Celestial is an all stats combo, something previously only found on Ascended accessories or trinkets (or in divinity runes, which cost an outrageous 8 to 9 gold)

It takes a 125 quartz to make one piece of of the new armor and it takes 5 days to refine those 125 quartz pieces so in total it would take 750 quartz pieces and 25 days to make a full suit. That’s a sizable amount of time to make a suit of armor but its nice to have an option because before if you wanted armor with all stat combos you had to spend about 54 gold

So if your like me and wanted a zerker suit of armor with all stat combos for runes you can switch it up and go all stat combo armor and then use ruby orbs to get the zerker stats. I guess this post is sort of a public service announcement to let you know that if you like all stat combo gear, you dont have to get screwed over by the trading post to get it

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

People will still insist on using divinity runes because zomg stats!

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

25 days! Not another grind! /sarcasm

Seriously though, I hope the new armor will look great.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I expect that it will be regular looking crafted armor (draconic/emblazoned etc.) with celestial stats.

The new achievement rewards will however contain unique looking armor, but they will likely be skins, not actual armor pieces.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

i expect no new look just new stats

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

Seriously though,* I hope the new armor will look great. *

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha…….

You’re new to Gw2 aren’t you?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I just hope they don’t touch the Sentinels runes.

Price keeps going up up up!

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

So they are introducing Celestial armor in tomorrow’s patch. Celestial is an all stats combo, something previously only found on Ascended accessories or trinkets (or in divinity runes, which cost an outrageous 8 to 9 gold)

It takes a 125 quartz to make one piece of of the new armor and it takes 5 days to refine those 125 quartz pieces so in total it would take 750 quartz pieces and 25 days to make a full suit. That’s a sizable amount of time to make a suit of armor but its nice to have an option because before if you wanted armor with all stat combos you had to spend about 54 gold

So if your like me and wanted a zerker suit of armor with all stat combos for runes you can switch it up and go all stat combo armor and then use ruby orbs to get the zerker stats. I guess this post is sort of a public service announcement to let you know that if you like all stat combo gear, you dont have to get screwed over by the trading post to get it

So how about celestial armor with divinity runes?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So how about celestial armor with divinity runes?

This may actually warrant a price increase!

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Celestial stats are worse than Rune of Divinity stats. Divinity specializes on critical damage, while celestial is mediocre at everything. This makes divinity an excellent choice for dps builds that make use of every stat.

Savoy.6824

I would think going Celestial armor with Divinity runes would be bad for my build (glass cannon thief) as it would take too much out of my damage. So I would prefer to have ruby orbs or some other rune that increases power and precision since that is an area of focus for me. I wanted the divinity runes to give me that little bit extra survivablity but instead now I think ill go with the armor. I have time but I dont have money. Since Im also trying to level my necro and finish my guardians armor.

Somebody should do that though. Get celestial armor, with celestial accessories, divinity runes and then for the hell of it grab some dragons revelry starcake and see if it makes a good build for some class.

@DiogoSilva, Divinity runes are the Celestial version of runes. They actually do not focus on critical damage they just boost it along with every other stat. So by your own reasoning Celestial armor would be an excellent choice for dps builds because it makes use of every stat. I would argue that you then need runes or orbs that focus on the power so that you will not be a jack of all trades and still be bursty.

According to spidey the price of runes is not dropping yet though so it would seem my initial speculation was incorrect. But oh well I am still right about the armor being a trade off.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Celestial stats are worse than Rune of Divinity stats. Divinity specializes on critical damage, while celestial is mediocre at everything. This makes divinity an excellent choice for dps builds that make use of every stat.

….dps builds use power, precision and crit damage.

We have no use for magic find, condition damage, toughness, vitality and all the other trash that comes with divinity.

If I had space I would sig your post though because of how much of a fail it is.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Savoy.6824

@colesy there is a little room for the trash that comes with Celestial and Divinity. I wouldnt focus a build around it but if you want a little more survivability its ok. Heres a guy that does quite well with divinity runes and yes, I beleive that if he went straight damage he would lose some of these fights.

oh and heres his build posted in the video

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7.0|8.1g.h14.a.1g.h1|5.1g.h8|1p.71j.1p.71j.1n.a1.1p.71j.1p.71j.1p.71j|3s.d17.2s.d14.2t.d14.1g.67.1g.67.2s.d14|0.k31.u54b.k19.0|40.2|57.5h.5b.5f.0|e

But if your skilled enough to go all damage then by all means go full out damage.

DiogoSilva.7089

As you’re calling my post a fail, I’ll bold an important side note in it.

This makes divinity an excellent choice for dps builds that make use of every stat.
(Hint: not ALL dps builds.)

Also, Divinity Runes offer some of the highest critical damage out of all runes, while still offering decent power and precision (and condition damage). The difference in power/ precision stats between divinity runes and other dps runes is minimal. Meanwhile, celestial’s critical damage is bellow zerker’s gear critical damage, and the power/ precision difference makes a much alrge difference as we are dealing with much higher numbers.

It would be lovely if celestial gear was as good as the divinity runes. But it’s not.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Savoy.6824

Heres the thing DiogoSilva, nobody has seen the stat numbers on the new armor. Divinity runes if you have 6 of them will boost your critical damage by 12% I highly doubt the new armor if you have all 6 pieces will boost it less than 12%

But if you have some info pleas share. Let me know the exact stats on the chest piece, then tell me about the legs, then move to the shoulders, then tell me about the gloves, boots, and helm.

Or if you have a theory please explain why you think the 6 pieces together would total less than 12% critical damage increase. It doesnt sound very plausible to me that they would only have a critical damage increase of 1% per piece. So if its a 2% increase well then there ya go it would be a 12% total increase which would be the exact same as dvinity. My reasoning is pretty sound. See if you can find any cracks in it.

DiogoSilva.7089

Let’s not compare runes with gear. I’m sure the entire gearset will offer more than 12% critical damage.

But see it this way: how many runes offers as much critical damage as runes of divinity do? Not much (if any?), so divinity runes are one of the best options for dps builds. Zerker gear + Divinity Runes, or Valkyrie/ Cavalier gear + Divinity, depending on the profession. The general stat boost is just a (very) nice bonus to professions like the elementalist or the guardian.

Meanwhile, celestial gear, as seen by the ascended celestial amulets and some other celestial trinkets, offer less critical damage than some other gear, like valkyrie’s or berserker’s. No dps build is going to use it, and more all-around professions will prefer using valkyrie’s gear (pvp) or Cavalier’s (pve) over celestial’s.

Maybe celestial might be decent for defensive builds who still want to deal decent damage, but celestial is never specialized at something. Divinity Runes, meanwhile, specialize at critical damage while still offering celestial stats.

Of course, this can all change if anet decides to change celestial’s stats. My opinion is just based on current celestial’s equipment stats.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

But see it this way: how many runes offers as much critical damage as runes of divinity do? Not much (if any?), so divinity runes are one of the best options for dps builds. Zerker gear + Divinity Runes, or Valkyrie/ Cavalier gear + Divinity, depending on the profession. The general stat boost is just a (very) nice bonus to professions like the elementalist or the guardian.

Ruby Orbs offer the same % critical damage with more focused DPS stats elsewhere. They are better for DPS builds. Furthermore, as far as runes go, Scholar runes are better than Ruby Orbs / Divinity Runes so long as you are above 90% HP for at least 25% of the time in combat (easy as a good player in both PvE and WvW). If that is the case, then Scholar is the best possible DPS option of all three, totally irrelevant of the fact that they give less critical damage than the other options.

I cannot stress this enough, and I truly mean no offense when I say it, but Divinity Runes are for bad players who can’t make up their mind on what they want and/or are unwilling to change armor sets to adjust for a situation.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Ruby Orbs offer the same % critical damage with more focused DPS stats elsewhere. They are better for DPS builds. Furthermore, as far as runes go, Scholar runes are better than Ruby Orbs / Divinity Runes so long as you are above 90% HP for at least 25% of the time in combat (easy as a good player in both PvE and WvW). If that is the case, then Scholar is the best possible DPS option of all three, totally irrelevant of the fact that they give less critical damage than the other options.

I cannot stress this enough, and I truly mean no offense when I say it, but Divinity Runes are for bad players who can’t make up their mind on what they want and/or are unwilling to change armor sets to adjust for a situation.

Actually, Scholar runes can be bad for non-Shatter Mesmers due to the fact that they don’t affect your clone/phantasm/condition damage, which means that unless you’re constantly shattering (hence non-shatter mesmer), you’re not getting the added damage.

Rising Dusk.2408

Actually, Scholar runes can be bad for non-Shatter Mesmers due to the fact that they don’t affect your clone/phantasm/condition damage, which means that unless you’re constantly shattering (hence non-shatter mesmer), you’re not getting the added damage.

This is true, but Mesmers are a poor candidate for Celestial stats anyway, so it’s kind of a wash in terms of this discussion.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Savoy.6824

Well Mr Dusk your Scholar runes dont give much less critical damage (only 4% less) and the boost to power is nice, but Im just not sure if i can take advantage of the 10% damage part for very long. Ill have to try it someday. They are a little pricey but not as bad as divinity.

@DiogoSilva thx for the breakdown. I think im still going to try it out though. Sounds like it will just take a little time.

Rising Dusk.2408

Well Mr Dusk your Scholar runes dont give much less critical damage (only 4% less) and the boost to power is nice, but Im just not sure if i can take advantage of the 10% damage part for very long. Ill have to try it someday. They are a little pricey but not as bad as divinity.

Yeah, they are pricey, but that means they’re in demand in this case. And trust you in me, they are in demand for very good reason. And for the record, they’re still cheaper than Divinity runes. Cha-ching!

Esplen.3940

But it also requires you to be at 90%+ hp which is hard in PvP scenarios.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

@colesy there is a little room for the trash that comes with Celestial and Divinity. I wouldnt focus a build around it but if you want a little more survivability its ok. Heres a guy that does quite well with divinity runes and yes, I beleive that if he went straight damage he would lose some of these fights.

He won those fights by spamming stealth like any usual glass thief kitten does, if he went full glass he would have got those guys down quicker.

His only defense there is the lame stealth spam.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Rising Dusk.2408

If you’re zerging on the front line, you don’t want GC armor stats anyway. If you’re back line, like, say, on a staff ele, it’s incredibly easy to stay >90% HP for a considerable period of time and melt enemy zergs. Furthermore, if you’re on a thief, Scholar runes are even better because almost all, if not all, of your backstabs are coming 100% health. This is all still true even for roamers.

If you’re in SPvP, all bets are off, but really, you’re not buying your gear there anyway and can experiment for yourself at zero cost, so it’s totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Esplen.3940

If you’re zerging on the front line, you don’t want GC armor stats anyway. If you’re back line, like, say, on a staff ele, it’s incredibly easy to stay >90% HP for a considerable period of time and melt enemy zergs. Furthermore, if you’re on a thief, Scholar runes are even better because almost all, if not all, of your backstabs are coming 100% health. This is all still true even for roamers.

If you’re in SPvP, all bets are off, but really, you’re not buying your gear there anyway and can experiment for yourself at zero cost, so it’s totally irrelevant to the discussion.

But I’m a Mesmer roamer! Scholar runes are still overly priced for a relatively useless effect on me!

Rising Dusk.2408

But I’m a Mesmer roamer! Scholar runes are still overly priced for a relatively useless effect on me!

Oh, you!

No but really, what’s your build? I guarantee you that there’s a better slot set for anything you’re doing.

Esplen.3940

Oh, you!

No but really, what’s your build? I guarantee you that there’s a better slot set for anything you’re doing.

I run full zerk with ruby orbs or full valk with centaur for swiftness.

If I’m not going full zerk, then I’m running rampagers with lyssa (offensive bunker build, doesn’t work so hawt in WvW).

If I’m not running rampagers, I’m running rabid with 3 2x combos for 30% condi-duration.

If I’m not running rampagers, I’m running knight/soldier combo with mercy runes.

If I’m not running knight/soldier combo, I’m running full giver’s with +40% boon duration.

If I’m not running full giver’s, I’m running full zerk with scavenging for +gold find (don’t tell CoF people, hue).

If I’m not running full zerk, I’m running full zerk with ruby or- oh wait…

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m aware of scholar’s runes, but depending on the profession, divinity runes are still an equally good choice. I wouldn’t use divinity on warriors, but it’s perfect for, say, elementalists.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Ruby orbs. Much better.

The only use for Divinity Runes is PvP, because there are no ruby orbs there.

And no, Scholar runes are a trap. They’re only better if you’re above 90% health. If you’re fighting anyone of any skill with a glass cannon, you only get a couple of attacks off, at most, before dropping bellow 90%. Ruby orbs are the best for DPS. In PvP, Divinity Runes can be used because there are no orbs.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Lol you want to sacrifice berserker stats for all stats armor ? Good (sarcasm)……. (I am speechless…..). If you want higher survivability: why don’t mix your acc with misc of valkyrie/knight/soldier+ruby orb ?