Do Mesmers have to wear the masks?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nocturne.6028

Nocturne.6028

I chose the class, because it’s all about falsities and manipulation and I’m just like that in real life, and I managed to get an avatar that looked remarkably a lot like me, so I was happy with the class and avatar. Do I have to where that mask though and If I hide is it implied lorewise that I still have it on (I have a little OCD, so it will bother me)?

Anyways, I’m not a fan at all of having equipment covering the face I spent hours deciding on, so are my only choices ranger guardian or warrior? thanks in advance!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s very rare to see any Mesmer in game wearing one of those masks. The only one I know of off hand is a guildie who made a character that looks like Ronald MacDonald and uses the smiling mask for that reason.

Ditch it, it’s really ugly. Lol.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Lady Althea, Gwen and Jenna, Countess Anise..the Iconic mesmers of GW never wore a mask.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Mesmer’s are commonly depict with Masks, however, most NPC mesmer you run into don’t have masks. A good example would be Kasmeer Meade or Countess Anise.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kasmeer_Meade
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anise

Even back in GW1 there were maskless mesmers, Gwen Thackeray.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gwen

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I have Sylvari mesmer that wears the creepy smiley mask and it looks alright. Looks not bad with the new armour as well but my guy is blue in colour already so it suits. The sad mask though is a dust gatherer for one of my other mesmers. If we ever get housing it might be nice to able to put them up as trophies.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I rock the fanged mask and tier 3 human cultural in abyss and illumination and it looks bad kitten

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

You dont have to use that mask.

Also, if you want to use an equipment that is soulbound to another character you just need to transmute it to a white item, it will make it account bound. You can do that to equip the necro’s masks for example, those are my favorite for light armor, or you can equip a thief’s starter hood on an engineer or ranger.

Posted by: MistaMike.7356

MistaMike.7356

You’re supposed to wear the mask if you are a mesmer, yes. If you don’t wear it the Tyrian morality police may fine you.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

mask in this game is poorly designed. previewed many on my mesmer and they looked ugly, looks like they are hovering few centimeters above the skin.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

One of my mesmers wears a starter ele head crystal.

Even the necro masks are better than the mesmer’s.

Find a white con item, transmute stone, and it’s account bound for cloth wearers in your account.

Several of my rangers wear thief hoods.

Just wish head gear was shareable between different armor types. Would love to have the thief hood on my one of my necros. (Don’t like the cloth hoods and the WvW one doesn’t quite cut it.)

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

My Mesmer is skilled enough to make his mask invisible through a powerful concealing magic called “check box”

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

goldenwing.8473

My Mesmer is skilled enough to make his mask invisible through a powerful concealing magic called “check box”

Wow! That’s a really powerful spell and one that’s good to learn. I hear it is SO powerful it also works on gloves and shoulders!

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am not a fan of masks or any head gear really
my Sylvari Mesmer wears my Sylvari Ele’s starter gem though

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

The masks that are put on your character during character creation are just a basic head slot item. You can remove it at any time and replace it with another head slot item. Also, the head, shoulders, and hands slots can each be toggled visible/invisible in your character sheet using the little check boxes on each slot. So… the moment you enter the game you can turn off the visual for the mask if you don’t like the way it looks.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Wow! That’s a really powerful spell and one that’s good to learn. I hear it is SO powerful it also works on gloves and shoulders!

It works on gloves?

My mesmer wears a flower hair piece she got from a personal story, around the invasion of Lion’s Arch (for the millionth time.) You start with masks but you can quickly get rid of them. It’s actually far harder to find masks later on in the game and the starter sets are completely unique.

goldenwing.8473

Yes, works on gloves. Some of my casters are “hands on” (no gloves showing).

And a few of my really hearty Norns.