Do You Skip Vistas and Jumping Puzzle Scenery?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoseRIP.8502

RoseRIP.8502

As I’m nearing 100% map completion, I realize I have cancelled watching the scenery animation every time I activate a vista or jumping puzzle.
It’s a shame because they are meant to reward its viewer with showing the beautiful graphics that the game has but for some reason I’ve been too
impatient to sit through them all.

The only time I’ll watch one of them is if I spend a long time trying to complete a jumping puzzle where I fall a bunch of times during my attempts.

Do you guys tend to watch all the scenery animations or do you skip through them?

Posted by: Entity.3408

Entity.3408

Yup. I watched them at first, but then after a few I just started clicking to skip.

Posted by: Kazak.8459

Kazak.8459

yup, pretty much all of them now. I wish they were a little faster panning around. Jumping puzzles I skip completely. Crappy rewards and hair pulling camera movement discourages me from doing them.

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

I’ve watched every one. But then, I’m in no rush to do stuff.

Posted by: Licht.5168

Licht.5168

I generally watch them, but some times I skip them, simply because I like taking screenshots of the vistas and the current quality for screenshots is really low. =T

Xarinn – Warrior L80 – 400AS/400WS
Sanctum of Rall
“Quaggan’s a piwate! Yarr!” – “Pirate”

Posted by: Kaii.5149

Kaii.5149

I watched all of them on my first character and took screenshots of particularly good ones, but I skip them on alts.

The Owl ~ Wings of Eclipse [WOE] ~ Tarnished Coast
Join Operation: UNION [XIII]

Posted by: Deistik.7802

Deistik.7802

Really depends on the vista. Some of them are really cool looking, but you can usually tell in the first 3 seconds if that’s the case. I usually skip the “regular” ones.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I watched every single one of them, some even more than once.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

No, I have not watched a SINGLE one. I couldn’t care less about the vistas.**

Edit: grammar nazis

(edited by dimgl.4786)

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Not only do I watch them, I usually take a screen shot of the “flag” and my character once the cut scene has panned way out. I now have quite the collection of these images. They make great wallpaper and finding the vista flag in the image is a sort of “where’s waldo” endeavor.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: kyokara.1867

kyokara.1867

^*Couldn’t
Or else you do care

80 Warrior
2 Mesmer (sPvP only)

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Depends on the place.
In Kessex Hills that one place with the Waterfall was gorgeous.
Other places like some dirt road type of deal is meh.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: robber.4613

robber.4613

I watch them all , across all alts. Gorgeous game.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I watched them all the first time. Now I only watch the ones I like, the rest I skip.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Seraph.8315

Seraph.8315

I watched every single one of them at least once, sometimes even more.

Although I do wish the floating vista icon would go away when viewing them.

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

At first i did then it was just the same old thing. Now it is always a skip.

The environment is beautiful, but i get more enjoyment out of just looking around rather than watching a scripted scene.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Yes, I watch all vistas. GW2 has the best reality-like scenaries.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I watch them all, except in places were I know I mostly will be leveling alts in the future, just so I’ll still have something new to look at when I level them up.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I don’t care for the jumping puzzles.

The vistas, it really depends on the zone I’m in. The higher zones just don’t look pretty at all, monotone grey on grey. So no, I don’t watch the vista, and just view them as a chore toward 100%.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Watch ones I haven’t seen before, and sometimes repeat the ones I’ve seen on other characters. I screenshot the views anyway.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

I watched the first 30% of them. Skipped the rest.

With my current character, I wanted 100% completion as fast as possible so I skipped all of the vistas/did everything as fast as I could. However, now that I’m at endgame and enjoying WvW, I can now go back with alts and actually enjoy the scenery.

I did skip some jumping puzzles, but plan on going to complete those within the next few days. Some are pretty fun.. (like the Scavenger’s Chasm puzzle in Malchor’s Leap. Talk about insanity!)

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

I watch them and I often screencap the really nice ones. Jumping puzzles though, man, I suck hard at those and usually ragequit after an hour or so of falling repeatedly to my death.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I watch almost all of the vistas. Often they have hints to chest areas and hidden jumping puzzles. I’ve been trying to find them without looking at gw2cartographers.com. Only one I’ve caved in on was the particularly tricky entrance to one in Lion’s Arch. I was so excited about finding the other two and a guild mate pointed out there was a third. I could see where I thought it ended, but I was I was stumped when I tried to figure out the start.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Skip. A slo mo view of something I have likely A. already seen or B. would prefer to be exploring right now.

Like all the ones in lions arch. I dont care about your majestic city view. I want to climb on top of things, and kitten im going to skip this cutscene and then ride the lightning onto a nearby cliff, dodge around an invisible wall and have a dance party on those ruined structures I shouldnt be able to get to. Way more fun that watching the vista.

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

Not yet. I still enjoy the vistas and scenery. I’m sure I will at some point but not there yet.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I used to, they just drag on a little too much, having it pan faster would be nice.

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

Depends on my mood, I’ll usually watch about half thru then I get impatient. On a side note while the vista puzzles get a bad rap I find them quite awesome and really appreciate the originality. I love the harder ones, like the ones in dredgehaunt cliffs, tons of fun especially when you find a veteran and a shiny chest at the top.

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Honestly, I feel like if your the type of person that skips the scenery then GW2 may not be the game for you.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I’m normally so irritated by the time I complete a vista that I skip the display just so I can move on with my life.

Posted by: RoseRIP.8502

RoseRIP.8502

Honestly, I feel like if your the type of person that skips the scenery then GW2 may not be the game for you.

I may skip scenery scenes but I’m enjoying the game. I just finished getting full exotics on my level 80 guardian and I recently started a warrior. =)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Nope…do them all eventually on every toon.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Entity.3408

Entity.3408

That makes little sense. GW2 doesn’t equate to just staring at a panning camera that has a pre-decided angle, or else the game isn’t for you. I like to sit back and look around with full control of the camera.

Vistas are one part of the game. You don’t have to enjoy ALL parts of a game for the game to be ‘for you’.

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

Im not only watching each one in the world, but taking a screenshot from them and when I finish i’ll make a rar and post it here and there.

I know, probably not the first one nor the last one that will do it, still its a task that i aim to.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I do skip it because at the end of it I am so annoyed and frustrated at the camera and how it functions that it destroys the fun. I just exit it and move on.
Until they fix the camera i have no joy in this part of the game.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I watch them all, some of them I’ll watch again if I happen to be passing. Some of them just because once I’ve got to them I feel like I might as well but a lot I actually really enjoy.

Also as some people pointed out they can give you hints of jumping puzzles (one in LA in particular) or other cool things in the area.

There are a few I suspect you don’t really get the right impact unless you time it right. The one in Gods Lost Swamp for example, most of the time it just looks like a random patch of swamp, but it’s showing you exactly where the Shadow Behemoth will be and probably looks amazing when it’s there.

I watch almost all of the vistas. Often they have hints to chest areas and hidden jumping puzzles. I’ve been trying to find them without looking at gw2cartographers.com. Only one I’ve caved in on was the particularly tricky entrance to one in Lion’s Arch. I was so excited about finding the other two and a guild mate pointed out there was a third. I could see where I thought it ended, but I was I was stumped when I tried to figure out the start.

That was exactly how I found that one.

I was looking for something completely different and happened to spot the chest, then spent a few hours (not continuously) tracing it back and trying to find the start. I got really stuck on the entrance too, until I decided asking people for help didn’t count as cheating in an MMO because you’re supposed to work together.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Liegence.5216

Liegence.5216

I’ve not skipped any Vista animations. I actually will sometimes spend time adventuring for a perfect view of the landscape. It really is an amazingly gorgeous game!

As for jumping puzzles – sometimes I walk away if I’m not in the mood to jump. One of my best experiences in the game was when I was attacking a cave bat and it ran from me and while chasing I fell down a loooong hole into a strange cave that ended up being an amazingly fun (and slightly frustrating) jumping puzzle. I refused to waypoint of the zone, demanding and pushing myself to complete.

Great stuff

Posted by: Razamis.1062

Razamis.1062

95% of players do not care about stuff like that after the first few.

Yes, by far most people skip it.

Look at what happened with SWTOR, players started skipping the wonderfully voice acted quests, just to get back to playing the actual game. Honestly? I dont blame them.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Always watch ‘em, that’s the reason I go to the Vistas. Sure I get a little xp and it gets me closer to the map completion, but those are bonuses – I want to check out the views and secret areas because I get a thrill outa it.

In the same way, I love the fact that in this game – and GW1 as well – If I see somethin’ interesting and I want to check it out I can almost always get there … it’s pretty rare that it’s jus’ painted on background I’ll never get ta touch. As a person what loves explorin’ in games, that’s something I hate in other MMOs and which I’ve been wantin’ ta see in an open world since the first Guild Wars.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

I love seeing the view from vistas, and take a nice screenshot of each! But I usually only watch it on the first character I do it with, unless it is especially breathtaking and its been awhile since I ran a character through that particular area.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I was looking for something completely different and happened to spot the chest, then spent a few hours (not continuously) tracing it back and trying to find the start. I got really stuck on the entrance too, until I decided asking people for help didn’t count as cheating in an MMO because you’re supposed to work together.

I’m dying to know if anyone actually found it on their own, or if it’s always been something you get help with.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

I always watch them, because I noticed some show things I miss just running around, like a cave entrance, or a wider view than I get on my character that reveals a pathway up a waterfall or mountain. I think the ones that do this, do it intentionally, as a kind of hint saying “Hey, after you leave this vista, go check that out!”

~Jade Quarry Server~

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

I only watch them if I think its going to show something big or impressive, like a waterfall, a huge statue, a tall towering mountain side, or a gigantic canyon. Most vistas I can already get a gist of what they’re going to show just by running up to the vista itself. I tend to skip watching those and move on.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

I always watch them. I really loved it when they were introduced. Once I get to the point where my alts are leveling where my main was, I can see me skipping them, but so far I haven’t gotten bored with them yet. I find that the graphics of this game are so beautiful that actually I don’t notice a lot of things, because everything looks nice and in some ways that makes nothing stand out to me. So the vistas are a nice way to step back and take a look. And also, like Zionka said, discover hidden paths.

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

We always complete maps we are in. I am an explorer if a MMO has something to explore. But there is something about the map completion list which works against that mentality for me. I think it is because I try to complete that list as efficient as possible, so I don’t have to run back to some POI I forgot or waste silver on the waypoints.
So when I complete the area I want to move on and usually forget about those jumping puzzles that could be out there and be found by actual exploring.

Posted by: capnflummox.3082

capnflummox.3082

Edit: grammar nazis

Is that what you say/said to your teacher when you got points off for grammar mistakes? Or your boss/client? Come on…

Side Note: at least the word nazi isn’t edited out.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I always watch them, you turn invulnerable so there’s no risk and the art team did an amazing, mind blowing job.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

I always watch them and I’m making a stronger effort to do the jumping puzzles now. So many of them are just hidden away in obscure parts that I need the wiki just to find some of them. Nab as I am, I just did Dark Reverie for the first time tonight. Crappy loot (of course) but fk yeah. Done.

Posted by: PAthology.1645

PAthology.1645

The only thing I wanna see for a vista is my xp bar move. So yes I skip them.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I only skip the ones I have seen before while leveling my alt. Otherwise, I watch all the vistas and cutscenes etc on my main.

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

Usually only when there is a chance that some mobs would respawn instantly and hit on me, and you know, some mobs really respawn almost instantly. That really hurts how Vista works. It is supposed to let you enjoy the scenery and urge you to view it again if you really love it. And it is also a good chance for you to take a break and lift your arm away from the keyboard and mouse.