Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Is that an official information? Where did you find it?

While I dont really cara having paid $80 for something that is now $60, I think it would be fair to give the hat to all people who have the digital deluxe version of the game.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Yeah, it’s a messed up tactic to bring in new people while giving the finger to those who supported them from the beginning. Unfortunetely, it’ll keep happening until it stops working. Phone and cable companies do it all the time.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

How do the people who already have the digital deluxe edition claim the wizard hat? Or is that only for people who buy the digital deluxe for 20 bucks cheaper than the rest of us?

They’ve been treating their original loyal fans like kittenince day one. Done even caring about the game.

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

All games have to run promotions after they have been out a while. Lots of games drop in price. I played diablo 2 and expansions for full price, and the price eventually dropped.

Same with GW1. Bought first account early, When I later bought another I got all 3 games for less than I paid for the first one. But I got value in playing it a year or two earlier than if I waited for the price drop.

It is business and the company’s lifeblood. They sell more copies, they can bring us more expanded content. There are lots better things to complain about.

PS – it is just a street clothes hat. not worth crossing the lane in LA for. Now, if it was an everlasting Riel tonic, then I’d be pissed (but I might buy another copy).

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

(edited by mattbnh.9247)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

All games have to run promotions after they have been out a while. Lots of games drop in price. I played diablo 2 and expansions for full price, and the price eventually dropped.

Same with GW1. Bought first account early, When I later bought another I got all 3 games for less than I paid for the first one. But I got value in playing it a year or two earlier than if I waited for the price drop.

It is business and the company’s lifeblood. They sell more copies, they can bring us more expanded content. There are lots better things to complain about.

Keep making excuses for the way they treat their fans. It doesn’t change the fact that they disregarded their most loyal fans who have been following them and supporting them for years for some quick cash.

toafarmer.8401

I dont mind the price drop. All I want is the hat. I have paid $20 more for it, I dont want the $20, I only want to have the same benefits the people paying $20 cheaper will have.

toafarmer.8401

Keep making excuses for the way they treat their fans. It doesn’t change the fact that they disregarded their most loyal fans who have been following them and supporting them for years for some quick cash.

I had 3 GW accounts. I was going to buy 1 collector’s edition and 2 digital deluxe accounts of GW2. But then the costumer support started getting worse and worse, I ended up buying only 1 copy, and a digital one.

But since beta I feel like being disrespected by NCsoft/Anet. Even though I kept spending money on cash store, but the more I play, the more I feel disrespected. Both by the costumer support, which is the worst Ive ever seen (and Ive played a lot of MMOs – even the f2p had better costumer support) and by feeling not rewarded for the time and money I put into the game. I didnt receive the karka chest by mail, even having done the whole event, and now I see they giving a new hat to new players and not giving to the ones who pre-purchased the game.

I have been complaining, I have been feeling disrespected, but I still play the game and spend money on it. But if things keep going like this, Ill probably abbandon the game as I did with WoW years ago and as I did with Lotro last year. I dont mind spending cash with the game, but I do mind being repeatedly disrespected.

toafarmer.8401

I dont mind sales nor promotions, I only want to get for $20 more the same things people are getting for $20 less.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’m interested in this as well. Considering I paid for digital deluxe for full price, and just a few months have gone by with it now being free with purchase… just a little upsetting.

Sure, I should have waited. I did expect the price to drop eventually. I just didn’t expect the price to not only drop this soon, but also an exclusive item bundled with a package I previously purchased.

Oh well, if this is how ANet wants to do business, teaches me as a consumer to be smarter with my $$$ next time. : /

Look at it this way. Because you purchased early you were able to get the special GW2 baseball cap, the halloween witch hat, and the halloween devil horns. People who purchase now for the promo will only have a wizard hat. Seems like you made a smart decision to me, unless you value the appearance of wizard hats so much that it is worth more than the 3 other items.

That’s a really positive way to look at things. Thanks for your non-aggressive post. It’s nice to see people on the forums can still be civil to one another instead of blindly throwing punches.

I still don’t think 3 hats is really worth $20, but I did have a lot of fun at launch. I’d feel a lot better if ANet had waited a little while longer before they introduced this promo, but hey I’m not working there so I really don’t know what they have planned for the future.

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

My assumption was that the “wizards” hat is the same as the “witch” hat that we got during the last days of the Halloween event. In this way, they are offering new players and item that they couldn’t otherwise get, because they weren’t active during the event, while at the same time not taking away from any “loyal” players.

My witch hat is just sitting in my bank taking up valuable real estate, yet I hesitate to delete it cus it was an event item.

We can always expect new incentives for new players to join. Just except that it will happen. But to think that you are really getting the screws over this is so petty…..I just don’t even know how to approach you.

MrMacAndCheese.3907

I dont mind sales nor promotions, I only want to get for $20 more the same things people are getting for $20 less.

The price will likely go down, and new incentives will be added on a reguler basis in order to intice new players. That’s just business.

No one said you had to play from the first CBweekend, but many ppl did just so they could flaunt that. No perks will be given to new players that will be game breaking. It’s all just pixel trash. Stop crying because you can’t have Everything in the Game, Ever, that Ever Was or Will Be. You wont, you can’t. The game is still awesome.

Posted by: Scorpion.3691

Scorpion.3691

This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in all my years of online gaming…people actually complaining about a stupid digital hat for crying out loud….So a company can never ever have special offers unless they ALSO give all previous buyers the exact same thing? So imagine if you bought a burger from a fast food place yesterday and today the same place is offering a buy 1 get 1 free on the same burger…does that mean you should feel entitled to a free burger today just because you paid for 1 yesterday? Get a grip people and quit whining like spoiled little kids everytime someone else gets a new toy you feel like you should have one too…absolutely unbelievable imo…

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

You already have more than they are getting. You got the Halloween Event, Lost Shores Event, you have all the gear, weapons, money, etc you have earned since you bought the game, and the time from when you bought it, to now invested.

They are starting fresh with nothing. The hat is just a promotion incentive to give them for buying the game now. Just because you bought the Deluxe Edition awhile ago, doesn’t mean you are instantly entitled to future promotions for free that involve your Edition.

If you want the hat, go buy another copy of the game. Simple as that. Promotions come and go on a regular basis. All companies do it. This is nothing new, and you are not entitled to have those items from the promo just cause you bought the same thing awhile ago.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

MrMacAndCheese.3907

you mean noobs will has pointy hat and not me (except my witch hat the noobs didnt get cus they weren’t on during the event)?!

No Fair! Life is Hard!QQ

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I’m not a fan of companies that keep players in an endless collection cycle by waving a new “unique” toy in their faces every week. It takes advantage of players who don’t want to miss out, and is a very disrespectful practice in general.

This type of add-on content should not exist going forward. I don’t mind paying for content, but it better be available to all. I don’t like it when gamestop or amazon does it, and I don’t like it here. Someone should not be limited in content because of their time or choice of retailer.

It’s not even about the hat, but rather the more aggressive direction being taken here to get to the all mighty dollar. The fact that this practice is so familiar now, that it is accepted, shows a great deal how successful companies are to take advantage of their customers. I don’t like being seen as a tool.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I’m not a fan of companies that keep players in an endless collection cycle by waving a new “unique” toy in their faces every week. It takes advantage of players who don’t want to miss out, and is a very disrespectful practice in general.

This type of add-on content should not exist going forward. I don’t mind paying for content, but it better be available to all. I don’t like it when gamestop or amazon does it, and I don’t like it here. Someone should not be limited in content because of their time or choice of retailer.

It’s not content though, it’s a cosmetic hat. You’re not missing out on anything.

You can perfectly play the game without having a Wizard’s() Hat. It has no affect on you whatsoever, so I don’t see what the issue is.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I want a robe and wizard hat. ._.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Miflett.3472

People bitten by the “gotta-catch-em-all” bug know what I’m talking about. Maybe we all have OCD, but it irks me greatly when a company knowingly does this type of thing to take advantage of that type of behavior.

If we set this precedent now, get ready to miss out on much greater things than a hat going forward.

I’m not a crazy person, I just want to throw some caution out.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

Scorpion.3691

So everything that you have had from the beginning should be given to all the new players that join as well? Cause you seem to want everything they might get…what makes you so special? Get a grip and quit acting like obnoxious little spoiled brats…sheesh

toafarmer.8401

1) I know the hat is cosmetic and wont affect the gameplay
2) I know I have things they wont have, but I have been playing for longer, so I dont see why not having more things
3) I dont mind they making promotions to get new people, just dont understand why not giving the people who bought the exact same digital deluxe thing what they are giving new players
4) The wizard’ kittenis slightly different from witches hat
5) I am a collector, I like to collect things, that is why Ive pre-purchased the deluxe edition
6) Buying an extra copy wont make it possible to send to my main account an account bound item, so that is a bad idea (I cant say stupid idea or I might get suspended from forums)
7) I have no problem with new players having new hat or a promotional price. I just want to ALSO have it, since I have purchased the very same edition for $20 more.
8) So far I could have everything on game until they decided to release a new item which I cant obtain in my account
9) Some people have real low standards and I guess that is why game industry is caring less each day for the players
10) People like me (who want to collect everything) spend enough money to keep the game free for the 99% of casual/non-completist players. So stop telling me what I should or shouldnt expect from the game, because it is people like me who make it possible to keep the game free to people like you.
11) I can play the game without a cosmetic hat. I can also not play the game. But Ive chosen to play the game and to collect things, so I dont think it is fair someone who has the game since beta not be able to get an item only because it was released for players who purchased it LATER. I can perfectly understand the oposite, as in GW I never had the chance to have the tengu thing because I hadnt the game when this was released and never seen a problem with it.

(edited by toafarmer.8401)

Posted by: Romeo.4378

Romeo.4378

You walk into a shop, and buy something, for the purpose of this thread let’s say you buy an Xbox.

The next day, or the next week, whatever, you walk past the same shop and see that they are now doing a 20% off sale, and/or that the Xbox is now being sold with an extra game as part of a special package.

Pray tell, what would happen if you walked into said shop and said something along the lines of

“Ohai, I bought an Xbox here yesterday/last week and I see you are now selling the same Xbox for 20% and with an extra game – any chance you can give me 20% back and give me the game?”

Let me tell you what would happen.

The manager or other member of staff would politely apologise and say that, because you bought the item before the sale, you were not entitled to 20% of your money back and the free game. Then, after you’d left the store, they’d go out back and say to their store colleagues “Guys, you would not believe what this idiot customer just…”.

Then they’d all laugh at you.

Understanding that this is how sales work in the real world, I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME, understand why so many of you are crying that you are not getting a wizard hat.

The most common ‘argument’, if you can even call it that, is that, we are here and have supported this game, thus, we should get the wizard hat, not some guy who buys the game in the sale.

When you really think about this, this line of thought is absolutely absurd and completely defeats the purpose of the sales pitch.

The whole point of this ‘promo’ is that it entices people who were maybe on the fence about buying the game, to actually buy it. It makes these people think

“Well, I was thinking about getting the game, might aswell buy it now seeing as I can get a limited edition unique hat.”

Let me tell you something, if Anet were to pitch the sale saying

“Buy the game now and get this free Wizard Hat that everybody in the game also has”, it would not be successful at all.

I can only conclude that this train of thought is a product of this obscene self-entitlement generation that currently plagues the Earth.

To think, for a second, that you are entitled to this Wizard Hat on the grounds that you have played this game for however many weeks… Anet doesn’t owe you anything.

You paid them the 60 bucks and they gave you the game you paid 60 bucks for, along with free content that costs thousands of dollars to develop.

It’s like you buying the Wii U on the day of release for full price and then get butt hurt when 3 month down the line they are selling them at reduced prices and with game bundles. You are not entitled to the cheaper Wii U and the free games, just because you bought it and have supported the console since launch.

TL;DR

Use some god kitten common sense. And get over yourselves.

(edited by Romeo.4378)

toafarmer.8401

So everything that you have had from the beginning should be given to all the new players that join as well? Cause you seem to want everything they might get…what makes you so special? Get a grip and quit acting like obnoxious little spoiled brats…sheesh

They will have the chance to get almost everything I got, maybe not the karka things, but it is not my fault they decided not to buy the game in pre-purchase.

Miflett.3472

We’re all adults here, and there’s no need to call someone a brat because they feel slighted.

When I arrive to a party late and there’s no cake left, I’m sad, but I know it’s my fault for showing up late to the party.

When I arrive early to a party, bring my gift of $20, and wait for the stragglers to show up — only to be denied any cake and to sit and watch them eat instead, I get irked.

I guess that’s a decent metaphor, lol.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Scorpion.3691

Well I am seriously begionning to wonder about “We’re all adults here” comment considering all the whining thats taking place regarding every little stupid thing…if you don’t like it then don’t play….plain and simple…oh…and you won’t be missed either by the rest of us “adults”…

toafarmer.8401

Well I am seriously begionning to wonder about “We’re all adults here” comment considering all the whining thats taking place regarding every little stupid thing…if you don’t like it then don’t play….plain and simple…oh…and you won’t be missed either by the rest of us “adults”…

No one is forcing you to want the hat, mate. And believe me, you wouldnt be missed as well. Maybe by companies who like people who are just happy with anything so they can deliver a poor product and a crappy costumer service.

Miflett.3472

I don’t mean to sound condescending, it’s just important to keep a level head is all. I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I have to ask – why does it bother you that “whiners” may get what they want? What’s to lose here?

Help me understand, I will respect your answer whether I agree or not.

If you play the forums for entertainment value, like many do sometimes, then hats off to you. Icwatudidther

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

toafarmer.8401

And BTW, I think Anet will miss more someone like me who spent 400 bucks in the game than anyone like you who probably spent only 60. Unless they prefer pollyanna-like players than the ones with cash, which might be Anet case, but certainly not NCsoft’s.

Scorpion.3691

To use the same analogy I used before …if you bought a burger yesterday from a fast food place and then today that same place is offering the same burger buy 1 get 1 free …does that mean you should feel entitled to a free burger today just cause you paid for 1 yesterday? Get over yourself already….its called business…don’t like it then go elsewhere. I am willing to bet it will be the same…

Posted by: RoChan.1926

RoChan.1926

While I don’t disagree with the inherent message you’re trying to promote… there are two things wrong with your anology.

1: Some stores actually do accept to do a refund/bundle sale if purchased the previous day. Because they don’t want to have to deal with #2

2: Refunds are at full purchase price with your ticket. Some can refund the item in full and re-buy it at the sale price without the manager or anyone else being able to say anything about it.

Optee Kaal Allusion | The Evil Empire
[TRY][POV]
“Kitten the yaks, so persistent about everything.” -Ebay

toafarmer.8401

To use the same analogy I used before …if you bought a burger yesterday from a fast food place and then today that same place is offering the same burger buy 1 get 1 free …does that mean you should feel entitled to a free burger today just cause you paid for 1 yesterday? Get over yourself already….its called business…don’t like it then go elsewhere. I am willing to bet it will be the same…

If im a regular costumer that spent 400 bucks in burgers in the last 3 months I believe they would happily gimme the burger.

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

All very true. Personally I asked myself one question:

“When was the last time I, or anyone else I’ve seen, used town clothes for anything other than the costume brawl?”

Scorpion.3691

Not when that said product was purchased several months ago tho…its usually a 30 day max…oh..and if its software then you can’t get ANY refund unless its defective and then only for the exact same title….

Scorpion.3691

Yah right…keep telling yourself that mate…lawl

Posted by: evasionmoon.1345

evasionmoon.1345

Only game purchase no monthly fee and they still want more its SAD indeed.

Kids always want what the other kid have more, that’s how child mind works:P

Scorpion.3691

Also if your willing to spend a so called “400 bucks” on this game…then you shouldn’t really mind ponying up some more to buy another copy just so you can get your precious little wizard hat thats really only useful for…hmm…guess nothing really outside of town…

toafarmer.8401

Well, back to the reason of the post:

How do the people who already have the digital deluxe edition claim the wizard hat? Or is that only for people who buy the digital deluxe for 20 bucks cheaper than the rest of us?

Thanks about all the offensive posts by the fanboys, but all I want to know is how to claim the hat (if it is possible to have it).

toafarmer.8401

Also if your willing to spend a so called “400 bucks” on this game…then you shouldn’t really mind ponying up some more to buy another copy just so you can get your precious little wizard hat thats really only useful for…hmm…guess nothing really outside of town…

Do you understand it will be attached to a different account?

Miflett.3472

I think this is what it comes down to. I do believe our differences come from where we are raised or how we view business relations in general.

Some people believe that if you give a company money and are loyal, that along with this should come some amount of company respect towards the consumer.

Others believe that companies are by default, greedy corporate machines, with their only intent to squeeze out every dime from a consumer that they can. They accept this fact, and ask themselves why anyone would be so stupid to think otherwise.

I’d like to think this company is one that respects their consumers and values them for more than the amount in their checking account, but maybe I’m fooling myself and you are right.

It’s just the small smacks to the face like this to the loyal customers that really drives home the point that it’s all about money, rather than pleasing the fans.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Scorpion.3691

Then you will get another 6 char slots to boot!…sounds like a good deal go for it!
Its the child mentality that always seems to want the new “toy” that the other kid has…so thankful I am one of those that could care less about “cosmetic” stuff…..if it doesn’t serve any purpose other then looks then could care less if they gave new people 1000 wizard hats all of a different color…

Scorpion.3691

So if you used lets say…windows for the past 10 yrs or whatever that since you have been loyal to microsoft that they should just give you everything new they make?…

Miflett.3472

Then you will get another 6 char slots to boot!…sounds like a good deal go for it!
Its the child mentality that always seems to want the new “toy” that the other kid has…so thankful I am one of those that could care less about “cosmetic” stuff…..if it doesn’t serve any purpose other then looks then could care less if they gave new people 1000 wizard hats all of a different color…

I envy you then. I HATE that this kind of OCD collector mentality has taken hold of me. I’m the crazy kid who has to preorder from two game companies to get all the DLC for my favorite game and then return a copy. I’d love to be like most normal people and say stuff like this little hat doesn’t interest me in the least.

My only point is that I believe game companies now have identified this behavior, and are taking advantage of these people.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

The next day, or the next week, whatever, you walk past the same shop and see that they are now doing a 20% off sale, and/or that the Xbox is now being sold with an extra game(which is not available at all for current xbox users unless they buy a new box and they can play it only on the new box) as part of a special package.

Fixed it for you. See the difference and why people are complaining?

toafarmer.8401

Already have 15 slots, dont need more. And Im not asking for you to care about cosmetic stuff, I myself dont even use them, only collect and want to keep them all under the same account. I dont even think you have anything to contribute to this topic, you are only trying to convince people (or yourself) that you are an adult for not caring about something. If that makes you feel better, nice.

But hey, how about the hat, will the players who already have deluxe version be able to claim it? And how?

toafarmer.8401

So if you used lets say…windows for the past 10 yrs or whatever that since you have been loyal to microsoft that they should just give you everything new they make?…

MS gives me free updates for the softwares I buy. They dont come with the original DVD, but I can download them.

toafarmer.8401

Aint videogames for children or people with child minds?

Posted by: Romeo.4378

Romeo.4378

While I don’t disagree with the inherent message you’re trying to promote… there are two things wrong with your anology.

1: Some stores actually do accept to do a refund/bundle sale if purchased the previous day. Because they don’t want to have to deal with #2

2: Refunds are at full purchase price with your ticket. Some can refund the item in full and re-buy it at the sale price without the manager or anyone else being able to say anything about it.

Thanks for the reply, friend.

Whilst I wouldn’t go as far as saying your points make my analogy outright ‘wrong’, I’ll definitely acknowledge them with a response!

1. Indeed this is the case. But as I alluded to in the OP, the general points people are making is that they have ‘supported’ the game, some since launch, and this for some reason or another makes them feel entitled to promo items. The people out there who bought the game 1 day early are understandably a bit miffed, especially seeing as, as far as I know, Anet didn’t really advertise the fact they were on the verge of doing a promo deal. If they did advertise it, I wonder how successful it was, because I didn’t hear about it. So yeah, the people who literally bought this game yesterday are cool, but they are an extreme minority. This thread is dedicated to the self-entitled so-called ‘supporters’ of Gw2.

2. Refund conditions are highly subjective with regards to country and even store/company policy. The store I work at, JB Hi-Fi in Australia, has very specific refund conditions which include time-frame windows and conditions such as the product being defective etc. Gw2 does not fit into this category. These people that are crying out paid for what was advertised, end of story really.

Except it’s not, the fact that Anet offers free content updates that literally cost thousands of dollars and hours to develop, really adds insult to injury and makes these people appear utterly pathetic, in my (shared, it seems) opinion.

Thanks!

The next day, or the next week, whatever, you walk past the same shop and see that they are now doing a 20% off sale, and/or that the Xbox is now being sold with an extra game(which is not available at all for current xbox users unless they buy a new box and they can play it only on the new box) as part of a special package.

Fixed it for you. See the difference and why people are complaining?

I can see the difference indeed. Let me therefore alter the analogy to make it more appropriate.

The best example I can think of, off the top of my head is limited edition hardware skins. For example, my Razer Naga mouse has a completely different design and glows a different colour to the standard Razer Naga model, because I bought it whilst it was a limited edition sale.

Somebody who had bought the standard Razer Naga mouse, is not suddenly entitled to the premium edition Razer Naga for free, because they initially supported the company by buying the standard model some months before.

Cheers.

Aint videogames for children or people with child minds?

No.

(edited by Romeo.4378)

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Same with GW1.

GW1 had the 1 milion edition/GOTY which added a couple of promotional weapons to your account. What about olders players? Not a problem, since they could buy the upgrade from the ingame store for 5€. Later they added the Summoning Stone for all digital editions of the game. What about older players? Again they could buy the upgrade which added the stone from the ingame store for 5€.

Now tell me how can I get the hat as a veteran player?

Scorpion.3691

MS gives me free updates for the softwares I buy. They dont come with the original DVD, but I can download them.

There is a HUGE difference between “updates” to a product and “promotional” items given to new buyers of said product. Its a common practice by most cell phone and subscription tv companies…get used to it…at least this game doesn’t require a subscription to play so they don’t really “owe” any of us anything.

toafarmer.8401

There is a HUGE difference between “updates” to a product and “promotional” items given to new buyers of said product. Its a common practice by most cell phone and subscription tv companies…get used to it…at least this game doesn’t require a subscription to play so they don’t really “owe” any of us anything.

Well this is your opinion and even though I dont care about it, I think you have the right to express it. Too bad it is opinions like yours that bring down the game industry standards.

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

the only thing the wizard hat got me is one less slot to put loot in. People aren’t missing anything – its town clothes and theres no reason to switch to town clothes.