Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Honestly I’m happier not getting it.

You could destroy it if you didnt want it.

But if it helps look at it this way – you’ve had the chance to get 3 special, limited edition hats which they haven’t got, and can never get. The baseball cap, the devil horns and the witches hat.

Thats because I bought the game EARLIER.

At least it’s not like the special edition of GW1 that came with a full set of unique skinned weapons with great stats for new characters and an infinate summon for players under level 20.

They gave this to everybody who had a full account. I got them and I had bought the game way before the special edition.

toafarmer.8401

It’s a hold-over from GW1. Every festival event there gave out a hat, usually a unique one, that was only available during that festival (usually during the finale).

And every year there were people demanding that they had to make an exception and let them get it later because they’d missed out but still totally deserved it and now their hat collection and/or life was ruined and it was so unfair.

Those people had the chance to get it and missed. Now they are just giving people that bought the game AFTER and CHEAPER some extra content. And all I want is to have the same thing since Ive bought the same version, but earlier.

Oh, and yes it is a stupid cosmetic hair. But come on, this is a videogame designed for 10+ years old, so whats so strange in people wanting to collect cosmetic useless stuff in it? Dont people want legendary items? Dont they have the same stats as exotics?

toafarmer.8401

Serious?
Ok Xmas is almost here and you will go out and do what most do and buy loads of things for your family to celebrate. Thing is a few weeks later they have a thing called January sales and all that rubbish you bought a few weeks earlier is now a fraction of the price. Do you now go into the store crying that its unfair and you want it at the same price now and demand a refund?

No one is asking for refund.

Posted by: LordKozuke.1259

LordKozuke.1259

O.o this is weird…

Also did all forget about the free Celebration Hat (the cap with gw2 logo on it)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/community-news/free-guild-wars-2-celebration-hat-available-for-a-limited-time-only/

I bet the people that bought the game after this hat was unavailable dont even care about that, why do u care if some other people get another hat now for buying the game o.O

(edited by LordKozuke.1259)

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

O.o this is weird…

Also did all forget about the free Celebration Hat (the cap with gw2 logo on it)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/community-news/free-guild-wars-2-celebration-hat-available-for-a-limited-time-only/

I bet the people that bought the game after this hat was unavailable dont even care about that, why u care if some other people get another hat now for buying the game o.O

If people who bought the game after the very start of the game don’t care about useless cosmetic items like this, why would they think that this bonus would garner more income for them and their promotion?

It’s quite obvious that people with a collector mentality will be the first ones to buy a game in fear of missing out on content, and they just pushed these people aside without even a consideration. Why not add it to the digital deluxe items instead?

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Are people seriously complaining about a hat that they will most likely complain about taking up space in their bank?

What’s next, you gonna complain about not getting some money back when the inevitable price drop comes that happens to all games?

My god this is worse then the guru forums.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Arkuden.7342

Arkuden.7342

I just want to throw my 2 cents in. I think it would be a fantastic idea if the hat becomes available on the gem store after the promotional period. I like wizard hats, so I’d buy it.

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

I struggle to believe that the people complaining about this hat are adults. Come on! If you are an adult and have kids, or know other children, if you heard them whining like you are in this and other “hat threads” you would tell them off.
Get a grip people.

It’s not about the hat, it’s about the bad business practice of rewarding new customers while alienating loyal customers.

Check out this bank commercial, it illustrates my point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBjTGSDNT4

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

It’s not about the hat, it’s about the bad business practice of rewarding new customers while alienating loyal customers.
Check out this bank commercial, it illustrates my point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBjTGSDNT4

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Now let me tell you what would happen with some one with a aggressive/take care of business personality. He buys that Xbox, sees it on sell a week later within the period it will take returns, he ask the manager for the refund of the 20% and the game, the manager states he wont do it, you clearly tell the manager he will do so or you will return the Xbox get your money back and never shop there again and continue to argue. The manager will cave give you the 20% back and the game just to get rid of you. So whats the point of this thread again……..

After several years working retail, including in video game shops, I can safely say that’s not how it works most of the time. Of course it depends on the manager to some extent but most will not consider it worth the time and effort to save the buisness of one customer, particularly one who wants to kick up a fuss every time there’s a sale. They’ll let one of their underlings do the return, sell the Xbox to the next guy in line and have forgotten the entire thing even happened by lunch time.

Especially since the vast majority of people who say they’re never shopping there again don’t follow through. I’ve even seen them come in the very next day as if nothing happened.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

Same with GW1.

GW1 had the 1 milion edition/GOTY which added a couple of promotional weapons to your account. What about olders players? Not a problem, since they could buy the upgrade from the ingame store for 5€. Later they added the Summoning Stone for all digital editions of the game. What about older players? Again they could buy the upgrade which added the stone from the ingame store for 5€.

Now tell me how can I get the hat as a veteran player?

A great point!
But it took a while for them to put that purchase in place if I recall. I think we are expecting too much ‘instant’ response from Arenanet sometimes. They don’t have unlimited staff and have to prioritize. I expect they will do something similar in gw2 with these items, over time.

I am not trying to be a suckup for arenanet. They have made a ton of mistakes with gw2, and they way they did halloween and the karka piled on more. I just expect that they will keep chipping away and improve things, because that is my experience with them.

No question players deserve a quality product and responsive support. Arenanet deserves time to put these in place.

If they were charging monthly this would be a quit and cut your losses situation. They are not, so I just try to have fun and play my way.

I am not a compulsive collector, and the town clothes to me have negligible value so far. Again, I would be more upset if this were a mini that I wanted and was worried I could never get.

So I get what people are saying.

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Well I am seriously begionning to wonder about “We’re all adults here” comment considering all the whining thats taking place regarding every little stupid thing…if you don’t like it then don’t play….plain and simple…oh…and you won’t be missed either by the rest of us “adults”…

I don’t mean to sound condescending, it’s just important to keep a level head is all. I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I have to ask – why does it bother you that “whiners” may get what they want? What’s to lose here?

Help me understand, I will respect your answer whether I agree or not.

If you play the forums for entertainment value, like many do sometimes, then hats off to you. Icwatudidther

if you can’t understand the danger of the entitled gimme gimme attitudes then we can’t help you. The world would be a better place if people had perspective. it would not be a better place if we gave in to the whims of as many people as possible at all times. people talk about this wizards hat like its a civil rights issue. maybe its because most people here are teens or in college & mistakenly believe the “get” how the world works, but over & over people say “all mighty dollar” like hippies that have never had to actually earn a living. maybe its that they don’t know how that business space even works but geez… perspective..

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Is the Wizard’ hat much different from the witch’ hat from Mad King event (that everyone got for doing nothing if you happened to play the game that week)?

I’m surprised how much passion this hat has generated here. 100 posts, but no screenshot. Has anyone seen it in-game?

Y’all should make a post in Suggestions to add it to the gem store. Apparently it’s a really big deal. My server, you basically never see people in town clothes.

(edit cuz you can’t have ’s before hat without breaking obscenity rule)

mulch.2586

Ok, I looked up “put on my robe and wizard hat” — you guys are naughty!!

Posted by: Scorpion.3691

Scorpion.3691

Any of you remember the old movie classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?
All the whiners in this game remind me of the kid who played Veruca Salt…“Oh Daddy I want a Oompa Loompa!”…..“Oh Daddy I want a Golden Goose and I want it nowwww!”
“Stomps Feet”….pathetic absolutely pathetic…

Do you have deluxe version?

No I don’t have the “deluxe” version nor do I intend to get it…the “bonus” items for upgrading or purchasing it didn’t really appeal to me…I did purchase a retail boxed copy of the game and got the head start etc that everyone else got it who purchased it before launch did. And I do not feel slighted in any way that ones who buy the copy that I bought get it as a free “upgrade” now…promotions are just that…promotions…I got the head start and other pre-purchase items that new buyers now won’t ever get.

Thats what I thought. Now I understand it clearly.

You understand what clearly? If I had waited and bought the game now I would have gotten the digital deluxe version as a free upgrade but yet I do not feel slighted at all because I got what was advertised at the time….get over it….you got 3 hats if you started at launch until present and new people will only get 1 yet you feel entitled to getting that 1 hat the new people get instead of being satisfied with what you have already received……amazing the mentality of some people….

Yeah, amazing. “I couldnt buy deluxe version so I think anyone who wants the hat is a whiner”.

Eh? Excuse me? I never ever said I "couldnt’ buy the digital deluxe version, I said I didn’t WANT to….big difference….and yes it WAS available back at launch…seems like you are just picking out what you want to in order to fulfill your own agenda or something while ignoring what you don’t want to hear, which is , NO, you can’t have a hat unless you purchase another copy of the game…get it through your thick head already…

Posted by: pigrabbitz.8157

pigrabbitz.8157

I just bought the game, but I bought a physical copy. I guess I don’t get in on this promo either. Oh well. :P

mulch.2586

I wonder if the people who buy this ‘wizard hat’ version will be angry that they didn’t get the cute baseball cap or witch hat or devil horns. Cuz I’d totally give them mine, given how little I wear them.

Cept I wouldn’t give em my ballcap cuz it’s not cool to wear another guy’s cap.

toafarmer.8401

Any of you remember the old movie classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?
All the whiners in this game remind me of the kid who played Veruca Salt…“Oh Daddy I want a Oompa Loompa!”…..“Oh Daddy I want a Golden Goose and I want it nowwww!”
“Stomps Feet”….pathetic absolutely pathetic…

Do you have deluxe version?

No I don’t have the “deluxe” version nor do I intend to get it…the “bonus” items for upgrading or purchasing it didn’t really appeal to me…I did purchase a retail boxed copy of the game and got the head start etc that everyone else got it who purchased it before launch did. And I do not feel slighted in any way that ones who buy the copy that I bought get it as a free “upgrade” now…promotions are just that…promotions…I got the head start and other pre-purchase items that new buyers now won’t ever get.

Thats what I thought. Now I understand it clearly.

You understand what clearly? If I had waited and bought the game now I would have gotten the digital deluxe version as a free upgrade but yet I do not feel slighted at all because I got what was advertised at the time….get over it….you got 3 hats if you started at launch until present and new people will only get 1 yet you feel entitled to getting that 1 hat the new people get instead of being satisfied with what you have already received……amazing the mentality of some people….

Yeah, amazing. “I couldnt buy deluxe version so I think anyone who wants the hat is a whiner”.

Eh? Excuse me? I never ever said I "couldnt’ buy the digital deluxe version, I said I didn’t WANT to….big difference….and yes it WAS available back at launch…seems like you are just picking out what you want to in order to fulfill your own agenda or something while ignoring what you don’t want to hear, which is , NO, you can’t have a hat unless you purchase another copy of the game…get it through your thick head already…

If that makes you feel better, well, ok, you didnt want to. Whatever.

And there is no official word about this issue. No one in Anet said that people who already own the digital deluxe wont be able to get the hat. I dont even understand why you, that couldnt buy (or didnt want to buy) the deluxe version, are doing here in this topic.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

MMOs should just get rid of exclusive/promo and perhaps, rare type items, as it leads to threads like this.

“wheres mine?”

uhg.

toafarmer.8401

I wonder if the people who buy this ‘wizard hat’ version will be angry that they didn’t get the cute baseball cap or witch hat or devil horns. Cuz I’d totally give them mine, given how little I wear them.

Those people decided to buy the game after the release, so they lost the content released during the last few months. Thats what happened to me in GW and I wasnt asking for Tengu Day prizes, since I didnt have the game when it was released. Also didnt complain about the things I didnt get when I wasnt able to attend the events.

mulch.2586

MMOs should just get rid of exclusive/promo and perhaps, rare type items, as it leads to threads like this.

“wheres mine?”

uhg.

I think it’s fine. I don’t think anyone here is actually truly disturbed, just making fusses cuz that’s what forums are for.

High-end fashion and cosmetics use this type of promotion a lot. Luxury items don’t really benefit much from having a sale, and it’s viewed as cheapening the brand if you do it. Customers end up waiting for the next sale. But the companies want to have something to attract attention, so they include bonus items.

Seems like a fine approach here, try to attract attention in the crowded Xmas games market.

mulch.2586

Those people decided to buy the game after the release, so they lost the content released during the last few months. Thats what happened to me in GW and I wasnt asking for Tengu Day prizes, since I didnt have the game when it was released. Also didnt complain about the things I didnt get when I wasnt able to attend the events.

So same thing here – if you waited for the sale you could have it. But you decided not to wait. You could have it now if you buy now, just like anyone else.

But it’s just a hat, no actual wizard powers included, no Brittney14 either.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

You people are seriously complaining about a town clothes promo hat that you’ll likely never display and keep in valuable storage space? Just because you paid for Digital Deluxe? It’s a Promo for crying out loud! That’s worse than bashing the pre-purchase players for having the Hero’s Band. “Oh I got the game three months later but I’m still a valuable player, I should get it too!” Seriously people, give it a rest. It’s just a promotion to get people to buy the game, and it’s not even a great one. Be happy with the goodies you do get and stop complaining about a useless hat.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: LilacGem.6871

LilacGem.6871

Did everyone for get we got this for buying the game early and not only that, we also got the Devil Horn and Witch Hat for playing up till now. 3 free hats and you guys are complaining about not getting 1?

toafarmer.8401

So same thing here – if you waited for the sale you could have it. But you decided not to wait. You could have it now if you buy now, just like anyone else.

No, not the same thing. Actually its not even similar. Unless you have cognitive problems I will assume you are just trolling.

Miflett.3472

Did everyone for get we got this for buying the game early and not only that, we also got the Devil Horn and Witch Hat for playing up till now. 3 free hats and you guys are complaining about not getting 1?

The difference is that all of those items were obtainable by everyone else — an equal opportunity. Some people don’t like this slippery slope of in-game exclusives that some companies fall under the influence of to take advantage of their players.

If they were to add this to the gem store at a later date, or at the very least make it obtainable, no one here would have a problem. Let the community know if this will forever and always be unobtainable.

I don’t like how people who disagree with people on the forums try to belittle an argument by calling someone who they disagree with whiners or babies. The concern is not with this hat in particular, but the way in which this might pave way for more gimmicky exclusives in the future that focus on taking advantage of the collector mentality.

If you don’t have the collector mentality, good for you, but that does not mean you get to call someone a whiner because they have a concern. This isn’t addressed to you in particular, just in general.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Posted by: Lazarus.1083

Lazarus.1083

I’m new to this game (bought it a few weeks ago) and new to mmorpgs. I seriously did not know a hat would cause problem in the mmorpg world lol But lets see, I missed out on the Halloween and the Lost Shores Event, and the Digital Deluxe promo by a couple hours because I wasn’t able to find any information on the sale so no hat for me. Now who has the short end of the stick? X)

Wecome to GW2 forum story, the ongoing complaining from the community over the little insignificant things, although I must admit some of the complaints in these forums are founded, some are not.. You’ll just have to figure out which ones are important to you.

Posted by: Scorpion.3691

Scorpion.3691

No, not the same thing. Actually its not even similar. Unless you have cognitive problems I will assume you are just trolling.

Speaking of trolling…thats exactly what you did by creating this post in general discussion…if you really wanted an official response from Anet then you would have gone to the support area…or call and ask them…and if you still didn’t receive the answer you wanted to hear…then perhaps putting it in the suggestions area of these forums. Cause by putting a specific question in general then your always going to get responses from everyone else, many of which you don’t want to hear or refuse to believe…so…who’s trolling now?…

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I like new cosmetic items, but having started early, I’ve got items and such that they may never have. So it all balances out, imo.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

someone mentioned this a while back but…

players who were around in the beginning got a celebration guild wars 2 hat, that’s something that you can’t obtain from the game anymore, and is account bound, meaning it’s not tradable

after that, those that participated in the halloween event got yet two more hats: the devil horns and the witch’ kitten which to me looks IDENTICAL to the wizard hat

if that’s not enough, people who participated in the karka event got a special 20 slot box and a karka accessory, free, as well as several exotics and rares

now that there’s a promotion, i’m impressed that people are complaining about not getting yet another hat, the way i see it is if a person participated in any of the above events and obtained any of those items, that person has no reason to complain, at all

The difference is that all of those items were obtainable by everyone else — an equal opportunity. Some people don’t like this slippery slope of in-game exclusives that some companies fall under the influence of to take advantage of their players.

If they were to add this to the gem store at a later date, or at the very least make it obtainable, no one here would have a problem. Let the community know if this will forever and always be unobtainable.

I don’t like how people who disagree with people on the forums try to belittle an argument by calling someone who they disagree with whiners or babies. The concern is not with this hat in particular, but the way in which this might pave way for more gimmicky exclusives in the future that focus on taking advantage of the collector mentality.

If you don’t have the collector mentality, good for you, but that does not mean you get to call someone a whiner because they have a concern. This isn’t addressed to you in particular, just in general.

it’s true that these hats were obtainable by everyone at an earlier date, but the point of this promotion is to get new people to play gw2

i doubt a new player would have these free hats because they weren’t around for the event

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

(edited by Gwaiyn.4395)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

This new thing about buying Guild Wars 2 and getting the extra version on the buy for free, plus some extra items and a Wizard Hat.

Since I got Collector’s Edition, will I get the Wizard Hat for free? or do I have to buy it? or can’t I get it at all?

Or is it just the Halloween hat?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I dont think so, isnt supposed to be given for people who are buying the game right now? could try by contacting support team but theyve said they cannot add items to your inventory.

If its in the cash shop then you can aquire it no matter what but if not i guess isnt a free gift.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

No, Anet doesn’t care about you. They only care about making more money. Maybe if you buy a whole new copy of the game. Hows that for spitting in your face?

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

I had been thinking about upgrading to digital edition at some point; does the upgrade include the wizard’ kitten or is that only for people getting the free digital deluxe upgrade via purchasing a copy of the game?

EDIT: Really amused that we have to refer to it as a Wizard Hat, instead of in the possessive, because the forum censor filters it to Wizard’ kitten.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I had been thinking about upgrading to digital edition at some point; does the upgrade include the wizard kitten or is that only for people getting the free digital deluxe upgrade via purchasing a copy of the game?

Most likely only for people buying the complete game. You can probably go read the update. I’m sure it’ll say if the hat is included if it is.

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

According to a few different accounts the hat is the same skin as the witches hat we all received for Halloween.

Posted by: Raidriar.4379

Raidriar.4379

Will player’s who have already purchased the game receive this item as a promotional item in the Black Lion Gem Shop? Otherwise i see it as unfair to those who’ve already purchased the game. And for those who are not yet aware, on the main page for Guild Wars 2 a pop up advertising the game of the year purchase deal for the game including the digital deluxe add-on for free of charge ( which is understandable! ), But along with that bonus, a free “Exclusive” Wizard’ kittenwill be available with the purchase. My concern is that there has been no news what so ever as to how player’s who have purchased the game to receive this item, or whether it is intended for current player’s at all.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

No, Anet doesn’t care about you. They only care about making more money. Maybe if you buy a whole new copy of the game. Hows that for spitting in your face?

These forums need a downvote option, maybe then we can get rid of the non-constructive posters.

Back on topic, I don’t think so, but you may be able to get it in either a chest or as a drop next Halloween. As we already have the witches hat I already think we got the better end of that deal.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

You think a company having a sale or special offer is spit in your face? Your face must be swimming in saliva whenever Black Friday, Christmas, or any basic occasion rolls around. I bet you save a lot on drinking water by slurping it all up!

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

I doubt you’d get one, since it is sale / promotional item for those who get the game now. Or do you think that every promotional sale a company has, should also apply retroactively to every customer who ever purchased at any point in the past?

Posted by: Zero Angel.9715

Zero Angel.9715

Actually you got more benefit since you likely have items from all the events that preceded the promo (e.g. mad king, lost shores), experience, higher levels, and are closer to a legendary (if you care about that sort of thing). Not to mention that you probably got to experience the rather fun Halloween events (and the cool mad king cutscene when you werent expecting it!), whereas someone who just bought the game hasnt nor ever will have experienced those events like you have. Someone who buys the game later will have less benefit because all they get is a town clothes hat.

My guess is if you had to choose between buying GW2 earlier, or waiting several months and buying it for the town clothes hat it comes with — most people would choose to buy it early.

(edited by Zero Angel.9715)

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Lol what will people complain about next.
Lots of games do that strategy to get new players and no one really cares about that.

I was a guy that was starting to dislike anet for all the bugs i found in the game, but now im starting to pity them for the fanbase they have.

Good luck in the future anet you going to need it

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

I like new cosmetic items, but having started early, I’ve got items and such that they may never have. So it all balances out, imo.

It isn’t about that. It is about being punished for being loyal and buying things at full price to support the company. So because I was willing to pay full price before the game even came out plus pay for the deluxe edition. I get less benefit than some cheap loser who wasn’t willing to take a chance on the game who came along and waited for the price to drop.

How is this a punishment? All games are like this. The price goes down. Why? Because people quit buying it. How do you get more sales? Some sort of a special.

Most games lump in DLCs, or come out with a Special Edition or Game of The Year version. These specials get people to buy the game.

I can understand rage if they were getting a full expansion this early lumped into their purchase. Or if they were getting items that actually meant something. Or like 2000 free gems. But its a hat. A freaking hat. Town clothing, which makes it even less valuable than free armor skins.

For all products, value goes down over time. This is a fact for everything. If you want good deals on stuff, don’t buy when its brand new. You can either play it sooner, or save money by playing it later.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

So ANet is “disrespecting its customers” by offering a business promotion, just like every other company in the entire world?

I’m beginning to think that we’re just going to get complaints towards ANet staff over everything and anything now, even stuff that it makes no sense to complain about.

You can tell how well-grounded the folks in this forum are. “I didn’t get a hat in a video game, my life is being ruined by these evil corporations!” First-world problems, indeed.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Put on your robe and wizard hat.

I am glad to see this was the first thought of several other people on the forum

I don’t see a big deal with it. As others have pointed out, people who bought the game earlier got an Anet cap that can’t be obtained otherwise. I don’t mind seeing unique cosmetic stuff being given out to people for specific circumstances.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Miflett.3472

The point is that it is a slippery slope to manage once you start handing out exclusive content for every little purchase. It can snowball quickly from appearance item one day, to a game enhancing item the next. I don’t like seeing these unobtainable exclusives anywhere, and think that it’s a dirty practice to garner revenue. A discount should have been enough.

Just look at a free to play game like runescape as a cautionary tale of F2P; a game whose web page almost entirely consists of getting people to funnel money into them for time exclusive offers that include in game items. The time exclusive or unobtainable part is where most have the problem.

http://www.techerator.com/2011/08/the-unnecessary-complexities-of-video-game-pre-order-bonuses/

In the end we all know it’s just a stupid hat, but never underestimate the importance of a saweet hat! #TeamFortress2

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Most games lump in DLCs, or come out with a Special Edition or Game of The Year version.

Which is aslo available to older players too, if not for free they can buy the upgrade. Now how do you get the hat as an older player?

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Oh let’s see shall we?

-Unique Town Clothing that they can’t get (Baseball Hat, Devil Horns, Witch’s()Hat) because they were limited time only.
-Lost Shores Event: A three day event that reward players with precursors/exotics/rares, 20 slot bag, exotic trinket, armor skins, and all the experience that came with it.
-Shadow of the Mad King: A week and a half event that gave players exotics, a chest they could farm, 10 slot bags, weapon skins, Unique town clothing (limited time), and the experience that came with it.

And you think it is unfair that they get a few one use items and a Wizard’s() Hat? Let’s not forget that they are starting completely fresh and you have all your work that you have accomplished, and if you bought the game during beta, you got to participate in the beta weekend events as well.

Yep. All that stuff Anet has given you over the last few months that new players cannot get is nothing compared to a Wizard’s() Hat and a few consumables….

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Oh let’s see shall we?

-Unique Town Clothing that they can’t get (Baseball Hat, Devil Horns, Witch’s()Hat) because they were limited time only.
-Lost Shores Event: A three day event that reward players with precursors/exotics/rares, 20 slot bag, exotic trinket, armor skins, and all the experience that came with it.
-Shadow of the Mad King: A week and a half event that gave players exotics, a chest they could farm, 10 slot bags, weapon skins, Unique town clothing (limited time), and the experience that came with it.

And you think it is unfair that they get a few one use items and a Wizard’s() Hat? Let’s not forget that they are starting completely fresh and you have all your work that you have accomplished, and if you bought the game during beta, you got to participate in the beta weekend events as well.

Yep. All that stuff Anet has given you over the last few months that they cannot get is nothing compared to a Wizard’s() Hat and a few consumables.

but they get it for cheaper, and i could not attend anything but a cap that i kinda dont want….. and it cost me more. they should have thankyou gifts that cant be missed easily. if they wana look like cool grandpa

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Are people seriously still gripeing over this? It’s a promotion! You get absolutely nothing new but the hat, which gives no benefit at all. And you’re really going to complain about a Christmas sale? That’s like going to Wal-Mart in December after having bought a game in November and demanding a refund because it suddenly went on sale. Get over it, people!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]