Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Don’t care about the money I spent ( I have CE) but I really look forward that someone answers me that ppl who already have collecters edition or digital deluxe will get the items as we’ll! It’s not about the cash It’s just that you buy a COLLECTER’S EDITION! and you have less ingame stuff than ppl who buy a NORMAL EDITION! doesn’t make sence to me:)

Thats very illustrative.

Someone who buys a COLLECTOR’S EDITION does it because they like COLLECTING things. Same for the deluxe, which in this case is a “collector’s edition” for people who only want the digital stuff.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I can understand the annoyance if it’s armor. But I’ve worn town clothes a grand total of zero times. So it wouldn’t matter to me. But if it’s armor

I’m GL of the Order of the Pointy Hats – I kinda have to use it. :P
So which is it?
Lmao, the title auto censored. Wizard Hat. >.<

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

Most likely town clothes since ANet loves them and doesnt realize most people dont care about them at all.

And it removes your hair when you wear it so you look like a chemo patient.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Is Town Clothing, but good luck getting it on your current account.

Posted by: oneeyedirishman.6835

oneeyedirishman.6835

Personally I just hope they add the hat to the store after a period of time. Limited exclusive, and such. And mostly just because it looks kitten adorable on the Asura. Also, for those asking if it’s the same as the Witch’ kitten it is not. It’s like a big floppy Gandalf hat. Not worth this much fuss, but I’d still like one.

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

Hey peeps, just saw the front page and this link

That mean you have to buy another copy to get a hat? or are the guys + gals who bought Digital Deluxe from the beginning going to get a head warming mail or miss out?

Bump. I was wondering the same exact thing… would kind of be a slap in the face if they didn’t give it to those who have been here from the start.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Posted by: AcidPikachu.9763

AcidPikachu.9763

Hey peeps, just saw the front page and this link

That mean you have to buy another copy to get a hat? or are the guys + gals who bought Digital Deluxe from the beginning going to get a head warming mail or miss out?

Bump. I was wondering the same exact thing… would kind of be a slap in the face if they didn’t give it to those who have been here from the start.

I’d like to know too. Would be nice to recognize those of us who have already been supporting the game, not just new players.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Same here. Hopefully an ANet rep will reply here soon.

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

Then it wouldn’t be exclusive, right?

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

My problem isn’t that I’m not getting the hat for free, my problem is that I can’t seem to get the hat at all. Even if I buy another copy of the game during this promo period, there’s no way to apply it to my existing account.

If they throw it on the gem store, I have no problem paying.

If they throw it into a Random Reward Chest on the other hand, I will howl for blood.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Sinsko.9342

Would be exclusive to the people who purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition.

AcidPikachu.9763

Is it that much less exclusive to give it to the people who already bought the deluxe copy of the game? Why hold out on those of us who were excited enough about the game to purchase a deluxe edition without having a treat dangled in front of us?

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Personally I just hope they add the hat to the store after a period of time. Limited exclusive, and such. And mostly just because it looks kitten adorable on the Asura. Also, for those asking if it’s the same as the Witch kitten it is not. It’s like a big floppy Gandalf hat. Not worth this much fuss, but I’d still like one.

That would be good enough, even though giving it for free to the digital deluxe/collector’s edition would be fairer.

Posted by: PLUR.3086

PLUR.3086

I want my bloody sparkles when i do emotes for when i bought gw collectors edition

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

You walk into a shop, and buy something, for the purpose of this thread let’s say you buy an Xbox.

The next day, or the next week, whatever, you walk past the same shop and see that they are now doing a 20% off sale, and/or that the Xbox is now being sold with an extra game as part of a special package.

Pray tell, what would happen if you walked into said shop and said something along the lines of

“Ohai, I bought an Xbox here yesterday/last week and I see you are now selling the same Xbox for 20% and with an extra game – any chance you can give me 20% back and give me the game?”

Let me tell you what would happen.

The manager or other member of staff would politely apologise and say that, because you bought the item before the sale, you were not entitled to 20% of your money back and the free game. Then, after you’d left the store, they’d go out back and say to their store colleagues “Guys, you would not believe what this idiot customer just…”.

Then they’d all laugh at you.

Understanding that this is how sales work in the real world, I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME, understand why so many of you are crying that you are not getting a wizard hat.

The most common ‘argument’, if you can even call it that, is that, we are here and have supported this game, thus, we should get the wizard hat, not some guy who buys the game in the sale.

When you really think about this, this line of thought is absolutely absurd and completely defeats the purpose of the sales pitch.

The whole point of this ‘promo’ is that it entices people who were maybe on the fence about buying the game, to actually buy it. It makes these people think

“Well, I was thinking about getting the game, might aswell buy it now seeing as I can get a limited edition unique hat.”

Let me tell you something, if Anet were to pitch the sale saying

“Buy the game now and get this free Wizard Hat that everybody in the game also has”, it would not be successful at all.

I can only conclude that this train of thought is a product of this obscene self-entitlement generation that currently plagues the Earth.

To think, for a second, that you are entitled to this Wizard Hat on the grounds that you have played this game for however many weeks… Anet doesn’t owe you anything.

You paid them the 60 bucks and they gave you the game you paid 60 bucks for, along with free content that costs thousands of dollars to develop.

It’s like you buying the Wii U on the day of release for full price and then get butt hurt when 3 month down the line they are selling them at reduced prices and with game bundles. You are not entitled to the cheaper Wii U and the free games, just because you bought it and have supported the console since launch.

TL;DR

Use some god kitten common sense. And get over yourselves.

Time for you to find a new store. I’ve had several cases where my local computer store has price matched a sale within a week of purchase.

Posted by: Wurmwood.4651

Wurmwood.4651

They probably want to up sales before the holidays are over. Still, it does seem a bit lame that they didn’t auto upgrade everyone who already bought the game.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is for new accounts.

Don’t forget, those who purchased previously had other opportunities: Beta access, Head-start access, digital items, the post-trial offer, event participation, etc. With each promotion there are different incentives.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

And don’t ask for a refund with with your current account just so you can buy the new one with a hat. If you ask for a refund they don’t let you reactive that same account. You’ll have to start all over.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Don’t forget, those who purchased previously had other opportunities: Beta access, Head-start access, digital items, the post-trial offer, event participation, etc. With each promotion there are different incentives.

Awww… Are there at least plans to have the Wizard Hat for sale separately down the track, Gaile? It won’t kill me if there aren’t, but I would ADORE a floppy wizard hat for my Asura Elementalist.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

they should at least give it to previous DD owners, seeing as how much of a ripoff the DD is anyway

Posted by: joe.9815

joe.9815

Guys every single company does this
Oh you just got this game
puts on sale next day
sure you might have got it yesterday but not every person has…
It’s 1 item it’s not like they are giving them a free legendary
get over it…

Posted by: pyronix.4081

pyronix.4081

they should at least give it to previous DD owners, seeing as how much of a ripoff the DD is anyway

Agree, I really regret buying the digital deluxe edition. :/

Posted by: KeikoTerada.1963

KeikoTerada.1963

Does it play “See my baby jive” when you /dance?
Does it play “I wish it could be Christmas every day” during December?

I’d buy a new account right now if it did ;-D

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Meh, Care…It’ll go as unused as the other DD items…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Sharkinu.8096

Guys every single company does this
Oh you just got this game
puts on sale next day
sure you might have got it yesterday but not every person has…
It’s 1 item it’s not like they are giving them a free legendary
get over it…

Again, is not the price reduction people are upset. Is that one item that old players have no way to get it. The fact that is just a hat or that most people think that town clothes are pointless is irrelevant. Could be a mini, could be a weapon skin, could be an armor skin, making it unobtainable for old players is bad.

Show me one item from GW1 which was only obtainable by new customers. Show me one item in any game which was only obtainable by new customers while old customers are left out.

If the hat would be tradeable I wouldn’t complain, if it was on the gemstore I wouldn’t complain, all I want is a way to get it not free items.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So I got an account for my daugther- she got her hat, mini Rytlock etc.

I pre-purchased a regular edition for me and my husband- we are not upset- we are glad that our daugther gets to enjoy these items
- I even made her an invisible bag to stow the mini in- a Charr with a wizard hat and a mini Rytlock. Too adorable- thanks Anet

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Pointless with hats having the invisible nohair bug

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

And still the rest of us are wondering why it’s being made such a big issue.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Thorp.7250

Thorp.7250

Yeah right on guys. It’s so not fair.

Just like my mobile phone company, the kittens always give the latest phones to new customers and I am still stuck with my kitteny old Nokia. How dare they not constantly supply me with the latest phone.

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya.

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Are people still upset about this? facepalm

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Sharkinu.8096

Just like my mobile phone company, the kittens always give the latest phones to new customers and I am still stuck with my kitteny old Nokia. How dare they not constantly supply me with the latest phone.

You can buy the same new phone if you want and keep the old phone number. If you want to use this analogy then in this case you can only use the new phones if you get a new phone number. I want to keep my old phone number and be able to get a new phone. I’m not asking for free phones.

Posted by: Thorp.7250

Thorp.7250

You can buy the same new phone if you want and keep the old phone number. If you want to use this analogy then in this case you can only use the new phones if you get a new phone number. I want to keep my old phone number and be able to get a new phone. I’m not asking for free phones.

You aren’t, but many people are. I agree it would be a considerate gesture to put the hat in the gem store. But that won’t satisfy most of the people here who are out for blood and do want a free hat and upgrade reimbursement.

Take the OP for example.

“So, if you buy the game now you get a wizard hat. Do the people who already own the game get a wizard hat?”

The delusions of entitlement are outstanding.

AcidPikachu.9763

I’m with Sinsko on this one. I play Gw2 and WoW and I can promise you I’ve spent more money on gems than I do on my WoW subscription. Why? Collectables. I enjoyed the game enough to want to support it and buy every mini, every little “extra item” just to have it. I understand you want to bring in new players and we got a beta, whatever.

But everyone who bought the game got the beta weekend… not just deluxe owners. So new players are getting the deluxe edition… for free… and a collectable item we can’t have? Thanks ArenaNet. Thanks for letting us know how much you value our support.

Sinsko.9342

For some reason, when I post, it says “WIZARD’S KITTEN” and I don’t know why – I thought it may be a BB Code issue cause I copied and paste from the main page.. but even tried pasting it as plain text from notepad…

Oh well, the point remains the same. Wizard’ kitten Not Kitten.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Wizzard hat. Wizzard’ kitten

Just leave off the ’s and it will work.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Sinsko.9342

Wizzard hat. Wizzard kitten

Just leave off the ’s and it will work.

Thanks! lol

Posted by: Svenn.5209

Svenn.5209

I really do love this game, but they sure make it hard on collectors. Collecting will keep me playing a game for years, but when there are exclusives I can’t get that pushes me away. It’s bad enough that I can’t even collect all the holiday skins and stuff because of the way they are distributed (Black Lion Chests, Consortium Chests) unless I happen to be ridiculously rich. On top of that it’s impossible for me to collect everything anyway because there is more stuff to collect than possible bank space. And armor skins would be great to collect, except I have to destroy part of my collection if I ever want to actually use them.

And now this. I look at this and all I see is an item I’m not allowed to have, ever, simply because I bought the game (Digital Deluxe) at release. If I’m not actually ever going to be able to collect things then that’s just a nice push away for me.

Seriously, please consider at least putting this in the gem store. Collectors have a hard enough time already without knowing that we’re just simply not allowed to have some items.

Svenn Ethir – Seeds of War – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Avari.8954

Avari.8954

I’m a little bit annoyed by it as well. I don’t think those of us who have been in the game the entire time should get it for free like those who buy the game right now, but at least give us the option to buy it in the GemStore for a limited time.

Some of us who purchased at the start, bought the Collector’s Edition, filled up our HoM in GW1 just to make sure we can get every item for the game we possibly can get.

Posted by: Stonesolid.2706

Stonesolid.2706

I’m usually not one to complain but I think it’s important to note that this is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen from a company. I’m actually in disbelief. I don’t care much for novelty items but this is a total slap in the face to anyone who does (and has been supporting the game since launch).

Basically you’re rewarding people who have never played for buying the game and punishing those who have been helping you out all along. Also I love how you think paying to test the game for your company is somehow a perk to the consumer.

I really love(d) this game but the support is totally killing it.. and things like this only serve to add more nails to the coffin.

Stonesolid – Sylvari Mesmer
Member of Unlimited [ULTD]
Fort Aspenwood’s Force of Chaos

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I doubt you’d get one, since it is sale / promotional item for those who get the game now. Or do you think that every promotional sale a company has, should also apply retroactively to every customer who ever purchased at any point in the past?

I would imagine that goes without saying.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I’m usually not one to complain but I think it’s important to note that this is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen from a company. I’m actually in disbelief. I don’t care much for novelty items but this is a total slap in the face to anyone who does (and has been supporting the game since launch).

Basically you’re rewarding people who have never played for buying the game and punishing those who have been helping you out all along. Also I love how you think paying to test the game for your company is somehow a perk to the consumer.

I really love(d) this game but the support is totally killing it.. and things like this only serve to add more nails to the coffin.

Come on people, this is nothing new, pretty much all companies do this and have for a very long time. My local cable company offers HBO free for 6 months to “new subscribers”. The local phone company has offered free caller ID for “new customers”. My ISP has offered free MP3 players to “new subscribers”. Nothing new, nothing wrong with it at all. Have none of you seen offers where you buy a new video card and get a free game? Try this, go to google, and do a search on the phrase “offers for new customers only”.
Of all the many things about the game to complain about, this is not one of them.

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

It is funny that I have seen no one new cry out about they wanting the GW2 cap everyone got for free around launch of the day, or that they want the t-shirt you could get for your character if you got a code-card while visiting a convention or something. And people seem to forget that the wizard hat is the same model as the hat you got at the end of Halloween, and that you could get it for free by talking to the NPC that stood around in the middle of LA for two weeks after the event. Or any other fancy event items.

If you buy a new phone for a price, if that phone later goes on sale with some special offer, do you contact the phone company and demand that you shall get that offer as well? No. It’s like that with all the things all the time. If you want the fancy wizard hat, no one is stopping you from buying a second copy of the game.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I think the point here is that they’re selling it as part of the Collector’s / Digital Deluxe edition. People who have already bought those products, at a higher price I might add, may feel hard done by.

Personally, I’m massively disappointed with the quality of the Digital Deluxe and Collector’s Edition items, especially when compared to the bonuses that were offered with the original game’s special editions.

The ring is completely useless after a couple of levels. Bonus weapons received in the first game had BIS stats and were useful throughout your character’s life.

Mini Rytlock is awkward to use and prone to being deposited (they REALLY need to work on a miniature slot for your inventory). Let alone which, it can’t be sold. Kuunavang from Factions was fully tradable and incredibly valuable.

Mistfire Wolf is generally pretty useless, with a massive cooldown and poor performance while active.

And the rest are crappy, one-time temporary things, some of which didn’t even work on release. I had to wait 2 months before finally getting a Tome of Influence that actually worked, and even then it was a stingy 1,000 influence.

I must admit, I was worried about the descriptions of these Collector’s Edition items before release, but reasoned that this was ArenaNet, and surely they wouldn’t make that kind of mistake.

But nope, none of these items are worth spending the money to get.

And the final slap in the face?

The Divine Aura from the first game was a genuinely cool thing, something rare and nifty that while not affecting gameplay, made your character stand out.
I was really hoping it would be re-used for GW2. In fact, maybe somewhat misguidedly, my purchase of one Digital Deluxe and one Collector’s Edition were based on the strength of this past experience with the first game.

Fool me once ArenaNet.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Sharkinu.8096

If you want the fancy wizard hat, no one is stopping you from buying a second copy of the game.

I dont want a new account. I want the hat on my current account.

And the GW2 cap, that’s what you get for being an early customer, if you want to get all exclusive thing you better be there first or at least early. This promotion just ignore all current customers. As I said in different topics I don’t want a free hat, I just want a way to get the hat too on my current account. Put it in the store for 100-200 gems and I’ll be happy about it.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

For some reason, when I post, it says “WIZARD’S KITTEN” and I don’t know why – I thought it may be a BB Code issue cause I copied and paste from the main page.. but even tried pasting it as plain text from notepad…

Oh well, the point remains the same. Wizard kitten Not Kitten.

It’s the stupid profanity filter. The “s” from wizard’s combined with the word “hat” makes a vulgar word that they want to prevent on the forums. So, they filter completely legitimate phrases. The other day I attempted several times to get across the idea that my guild keeps several bonuses going all the time — instead what comes out is Ankittenep magic find active at all times. That first word is supposed to be “and”

Now since I am a lesbian myself I understand that some words can be used hurtfully even though I don’t consider “Delta Yankee Kilo Echo” a bad word. But c’mon… with an “I”?? Gimme a break…

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Sinsko.9342

Come on people, this is nothing new, pretty much all companies do this and have for a very long time. My local cable company offers HBO free for 6 months to “new subscribers”. The local phone company has offered free caller ID for “new customers”. My ISP has offered free MP3 players to “new subscribers”. Nothing new, nothing wrong with it at all. Have none of you seen offers where you buy a new video card and get a free game? Try this, go to google, and do a search on the phrase “offers for new customers only”.
Of all the many things about the game to complain about, this is not one of them.

Their promo list the Digital Deluxe Edition and advertise it in a way that it includes the Wizards Hat…

Sincerely, if you don’t follow it… the whole premise is not what promos they offer new customers, it’s what they do to the people who have been supporting the game.

There are hundreds of games out there that we can play, but we choose to invest our time and encourage our friends to come to Guild Wars because they’ve treated us as valued customers… when you’re denied something that you’ve clearly purchased (i.e. Digital Deluxe), it is a slap. If you believe that there are better things to complain about than frivolous virtual item, maybe it should be turned around and just… provide the items to the customers that already have the DDE.

Of course, I’m sure anyone could go to the main page and lawyer up a way that the wording sounds indirect, etc – but the bottom line is the promo includes Digital Deluxe, and that’s what I have.

As it is, I question whether or not I’ll invest more into the virtual items and other promos offered and hold out for being rewarded for NOT getting them to begin with.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I quit using AT&T when they started offering high speed internet to new customers in my area but wouldn’t allow me to subscribe because I had been with them for 16 years. They told me that I could cancel my service, wait three months, and come back and they’d allow me to connect at the higher speeds. They were even kind enough to tell me that I could keep my phone service, just cancel my internet for 3 months and come back to higher speeds…

I do understand wanting to get new customers. It makes perfect sense to want to entice new people to try the game. But, not allowing current customers the same product is kinda silly.

Hopefully this will end up being about as “exclusive” as the old Bonus Mission Packs and as soon as the hat is no longer an inducement they’ll make it available to anyone who wants it.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Sinsko.9342

I quit using AT&T

Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up.

Keep your customers happy!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

For the record, I genuinely love ANet, but I think that giving in-game item benefits to new customers and excluding current customers from acquiring them is crazy talk. I probably wouldn’t even buy this hat, but current players absolutely should have the ability to buy it if they want without purchasing a new copy of the game.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Carbine.4706

Carbine.4706

As someone who has been supporting GW2 from the start, buys gems, active in telling friends, follows closely on status updates & even going out of my way to vote up the outstanding support from ArenaNet and their product (such as pushing for GOTY, etc)… this is a virtual slap to the face.

It’s things like this… the little things… that really make a customer feel like they got betrayed by the company they put their faith in.
“So what it’s just a hat” or “Yeah it’s just a virtual item that you probably wont use” – well guess what? So is EVERYTHING from the Gem Store that I’ve dumped more money into than a monthly subscription would yield. Does that mean I should pull my interest in virtual items?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>From the website:
For a limited time, buy Guild Wars 2 and get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition (a $20 value), which includes a host of in-game items along with the exclusive Wizards Hat.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It’s called DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION – If its a different promotion then call it something else. I purchased DIGITAL DELUXE and it should include what comes with the DIGITAL DELUXE edition. Because my Digital Deluxe did not come with the Wizard kitten

Flip that coin around and give the hat to the customers as a bonus for being a member of the Digital Deluxe Edition and you will get praised and may even encourage customers to upgrade.
However get stingy on those there from the start and these little things WILL eventually add up, because who really knows what the next Digital Deluxe Edition will include?

Whatever it is, this is the first step in the wrong direction from ArenaNet – no matter how petty it may seem, it always starts small… and gets bigger… I never pegged them as a company to do this kind of stuff, but as a consumer… it’s my guard coming up for a company I trusted.

I completely agree with this. Offering it only to new customers is a bad move on ArenaNet’s part. I have seen this stuff done with other games, and it drove people away.